Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

cptn_dr posted:

Speaking of novellas, I'm about halfway through If Found, Return to Hell, which is fine. I picked it up on the strength of the phrase "Intern Wizard" but it's not really doing much with the premise beyond the obvious.

Finished reading it, and my opinion didn't really change. It was fine, I don't regret buying it, but fanficcy found family cozy books aren't really my thing, broadly speaking. I hope it does find its audience though, I think there's a bunch of people who'd go wild for it and I would like to see it succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

fez_machine posted:

Do not convert to AZW or Mobi because they are no longer supported by Amazon and its email to kindle services. Epub won.

oh whoops, you're right. force of habit, as it used to be the exact opposite.

It'll actually still accept MOBI via email despite the warning it's not supported, but that'll surely stop suddenly and without further warning some day

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I posted this over in YOSPOS but I really feel 36 Streets deserves more eyes on it

You had me at "spiky fuckup."

It's cyberpunk, so that could mean physical or emotional spikes. Or both! I can't wait to find out.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

For the person who liked The First Law looking for suggestions, I recommend KJ Parker’s The Engineer trilogy. Or if you’re in a rush, The Folding Knife.

Both are books I find myself thinking about again and again. But Engineer especially because of its length and how it lures you into its world of world changing events and subsequent crushing personal moments.

In a way I suppose some characters find a sort of hollow happiness, similar to in First Law.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Ccs posted:

For the person who liked The First Law looking for suggestions, I recommend KJ Parker’s The Engineer trilogy. Or if you’re in a rush, The Folding Knife.

Both are books I find myself thinking about again and again. But Engineer especially because of its length and how it lures you into its world of world changing events and subsequent crushing personal moments.

In a way I suppose some characters find a sort of hollow happiness, similar to in First Law.

Alright, this piques my interest. I like it when there are significant things going on for characters to react to, I also like getting wrapped up in the whole setting and learning about it. Basically the opposite of The Thousand Names where it was just half a book of normal drudgery, then they are pretty much just like "whoah magic. Alright then" and then nothing much really even happened with the magic or was explained in a way that it was fun to learn about. I'm sure it might in the next book, but just the way the world and characters interact has kind of branded it as boring for me. The way you describe Engineer Trilogy makes it seem like that won't be an issue!

Do you know if there is an audiobook/is it good? That's what I'm looking for. I go through about 5x the audiobooks at work as I do normal reading, so I'm always having to sniff out more stuff.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 23, 2023

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
I just finished listening to K.J. Parker's Engineer series. I thought the narrator, Ray Sawyer, did a great job. They're all mostly standalones but the connections between them are entertaining. The Rashmon effect of history. I am a huge fan of Joe Abercrombie and the dialogue and characterization in this series scratched a similar itch. I will say that I thought the books had diminishing returns with the first being the best and I kind of ended up not liking the 3rd overall.

Edit: Just realized I'm thinking of a different series by K.J. Parker. I listed to the Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City series not the Engineer series.

ccubed fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 23, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

One of my favourite society building bits of Engineer is how Parker made an unrealistic facet of his world work through the power of unrealistic beliefs. The Mezentines created a religion out of their industry, so they’ll never outsource their manufacturing, which allows the perpetual republic to sensibly have far higher industrial knowledge and capacity to the rest of the world. It’s a believable conceit. You could fantasy up this premise by making Vaatzes home a nation of wizards and he a rogue mage out to democratize magic for his own purposes, but by sticking with something reasonably realistic allows Parker to write a lot of satisfying scenes of people doing a craft well while tying the craft into larger metaphors about the human condition. There’s a part in the second book in particular where the forging of a particular piece of metal is tied into broader themes in a really elegant way.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

I finished The Saint of Bright Doors a couple days ago. Absolutely brilliant book, I highly recommend it to anyone looking for fantasy with great writing and a very original setting. Reads like a mix of Studio Ghibli films, Michael Swanwick's The Iron Dragon's Daughter, and--weirdly enough--the SCP Foundation. I hope this one finds an audience since it doesn't really fit in any marketable category (is it fantasy? magic realism? dystopia? cosy? kind of all these things?) but there are people out there who are going to love it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah that one's been on my want to read, glad it turned out well

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
That does sound good. Chandrasekera’s SF criticism and non-fiction writing is really good so I’d been looking forward to it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Sailor Viy posted:

Reads like a mix of Studio Ghibli films, Michael Swanwick's The Iron Dragon's Daughter, and--weirdly enough--the SCP Foundation.

Yeah okay, that single-sentence description got me to click "buy" right away.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Why isn't Commonweal on Amazon? Is he opposed to the company?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

SimonChris posted:

Why isn't Commonweal on Amazon? Is he opposed to the company?

Yes.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

ToxicFrog posted:

Steel Frame was great and I really want to read Origin Complex. Just waiting for it to come out on not-Amazon.

https://scarletferret.com/news/origin-complex-andrew-skinner-out-today

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Who's a modern successor to Robin Hobb? I've got a cold and want to listen to a meaty fantasy series that is kinda low magic, character driven, not super high stakes, not needlessly edgy.

I've also enjoyed KJ Parker, Scott Lynch, Miles Cameron, Ken Liu, Tad Williams, Michael Swanwick, Ursula Le Guin, Christopher Buehlmann. I'm not as into stuff with game-like elaborate magic systems like Sanderson.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 23, 2023

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I posted this over in YOSPOS but I really feel 36 Streets deserves more eyes on it

It was under AU$2 too so thanks for the recommendation

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Who's a modern successor to Robin Hobb? I've got a cold and want to listen to a meaty fantasy series that is kinda low magic, character driven, not super high stakes, not needlessly edgy. Any opino

I've also enjoyed KJ Parker, Scott Lynch, Miles Cameron, Ken Liu, Tad Williams, Michael Swanwick, Ursula Le Guin, Christopher Buehlmann. I'm not as into stuff with game-like elaborate magic systems like Sanderson.
Richard Swan - Justice of Kings
Low magic, travelling judge/inquisitor moves across a land less than a generation after a brutal conquest that formed an empire. Politics and action ensue. Sequel came out this year, at least one more to come.

Anthony Ryan - the pariah
Stakes are highish but I didn't mind this just completed trilogy about an orphan bastard raised by outlaws who becomes an infamous knight. He has a history of patchy series but this was probably his best.

Walter Jon Williams - quillifer
Another trilogy, also just completed, also about an orphan who becomes an infamous knight... WJW is a better writer though and these are much bigger in scope. Classic unreliable narrator, not sure if he's actually smarter than everyone around him or if he's lying in his memoirs.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

Who's a modern successor to Robin Hobb? I've got a cold and want to listen to a meaty fantasy series that is kinda low magic, character driven, not super high stakes, not needlessly edgy.

She predates Hobb by a good bit but Patricia A. McKillip has the vibes you want.

oh and the obligatory recommendation of Bujold's Challion/Word of Five Gods series

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Morw a contemporary of Hobb but Kate Elliot? King's Dragon might be your vibe

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Isn't hobb still writing

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

She's semi-retired, got long covid and last time I checked didn't have anything on the horizon right now

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Isn't hobb still writing
Well yeah, but I've read all her stuff!

branedotorg posted:

Richard Swan - Justice of Kings
Low magic, travelling judge/inquisitor moves across a land less than a generation after a brutal conquest that formed an empire. Politics and action ensue. Sequel came out this year, at least one more to come.

Stakes are highish but I didn't mind this just completed trilogy about an orphan bastard raised by outlaws who becomes an infamous knight. He has a history of patchy series but this was probably his best.

Walter Jon Williams - quillifer
Another trilogy, also just completed, also about an orphan who becomes an infamous knight... WJW is a better writer though and these are much bigger in scope. Classic unreliable narrator, not sure if he's actually smarter than everyone around him or if he's lying in his memoirs.
These all sound interesting and I hadn't heard of the authors before, thanks.

fez_machine posted:

She predates Hobb by a good bit but Patricia A. McKillip has the vibes you want.

oh and the obligatory recommendation of Bujold's Challion/Word of Five Gods series

No Dignity posted:

Morw a contemporary of Hobb but Kate Elliot? King's Dragon might be your vibe
I read and liked these way back (though obviously not as much as Hobb) and forgot to put them in the list, good suggestions.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Isn't hobb still writing

Only short work since 2017 according to Wikipedia

edit:

Chas McGill posted:

I read and liked these way back (though obviously not as much as Hobb) and forgot to put them in the list, good suggestions.

Okay how about the Elemental Logic series by Laurie J Marks

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 23, 2023

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I finished the audiobook of The Spear Cuts Through Water last night and it was another great thread rec that I'm glad I picked up. I'm a sucker for nested framing narratives and the way it incorporates them throughout the book was really fun to see. The audiobook narrator was fantastic, but I'm highly considering getting a hard copy sometime because I both want to loan it out to make other people read it, and I just want to read it with my eyeballs since my attention will sometimes drift a bit when listening.

Currently I'm reading Witch King by Martha Wells. At about 40% in, it's been sort of slow. It feels like she's done a lot of worldbuilding on- and off-screen, but so far not much has happened in the "current day" chapters or the "past" flashback chapters that interleave each other. It's not bad, per se, but it's definitely slow (I am hoping it might pick up a bit in the back half?). Basically, if you're going in expecting something like "Murderbot but Fantasy" this is not that.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

P. C. Hodgell maybe?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody have any opinions on SL Huang? I see she just released a genderspun "retelling" of Water Margin/Outlaws of the Marsh, which is intriguing. I've meant to read it for ages and never got around to it because it's a real brick of a book, so I'm not certain I'd want a retelling of it instead, but I'm curious and might check it out.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

DurianGray posted:

I finished the audiobook of The Spear Cuts Through Water last night and it was another great thread rec that I'm glad I picked up. I'm a sucker for nested framing narratives and the way it incorporates them throughout the book was really fun to see. The audiobook narrator was fantastic, but I'm highly considering getting a hard copy sometime because I both want to loan it out to make other people read it, and I just want to read it with my eyeballs since my attention will sometimes drift a bit when listening.

My mind boggles at the concept of an audiobook for TSCTW :psyduck: The sheer density of tricks it plays with the fonts and italics, the multiple perspectives within the same sentence, I don’t know how you could possibly do it in audio. Time to check this out. You should definitely have a look at the text, it’s wild.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

branedotorg posted:

How is this book, and any other newer books by him compared to Blood Song? I remember liking that well enough for a self pub book, but I was extremely disappointed with the sequel and never finished the trilogy. Will the pariah disappoint like Tower Lord?

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Kestral posted:

My mind boggles at the concept of an audiobook for TSCTW :psyduck: The sheer density of tricks it plays with the fonts and italics, the multiple perspectives within the same sentence, I don’t know how you could possibly do it in audio. Time to check this out. You should definitely have a look at the text, it’s wild.

That's another reason I want a hard copy for sure! The narrator was really good at doing subtle voice changes to indicate the asides and perspective shifts and whatnot, and I figured the text must have some interesting things going on too.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Went through a fantasy war novel lately. It was just one really long battle with tons of names and backstories where some of the soldiers died seconds after their introduction. I think it was a bit on the long side and felt tedious at times. There were also a lot of tropes and mythological stuff which felt a bit overused by today's standard.
The female representation was downright awful. They were either shining trophies to fight other, or scheming wifes who wanted to stab their husbands or family into the back. Baring one or two special exceptions, all women had the role of 'wife'.
And the story arc felt incomplete. By the end of the book the battle hasn't even reached it's conclusion. That felt like complete sequel bait.
It was nicely written though. Lots of poignant visual methaphors and pompous speeches.

All in all I'm glad I went through it but wouldn't actually recommend reading 'Iliad'.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 23, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Counterpoint, the Iliad rules and the aristeiae almost all fuckin' own bones. I wish there was more on Diomedes, though. Akhilles is cool and all but Diomedes is the best.

e: Also, it's a lot of fun to listen to in audiobook form, given that's its original form.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
My old Greek isn't all that good, so I settled for the German audiobook.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, I listened to it in English because my ancient Greek is nonexistent. I just meant listening rather than reading.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The Emily Wilson translation of the Iliad is coming out in about a month, and I can't wait. I loved her translation of the Odyssey.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Iliad is sick as hell.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

fez_machine posted:

Those are just plain very good to great books. Don't skip the Penric novellas, those are superb.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

The Iliad is sick as hell.

Depends on the translation

quote:

SING TO ME MUSE, OF VELOUR AND THE MAN
the dooming sting of the slams that ruined so many
the chumps and the bustas hurled headlong into gloom
to sip bitter cola with the sluts and kinky-haired hoes,
dollar store poo poo, not even brand-name;
thus was the will of Zeus.
Begin with the wit of that lord--
the Ultimate Hustler
who descended like night upon the bright shores
of unfortunate Troy where the Achaeans all camped.
As the sun in his splendor, spangles his rays
upon the folds of the sea when the day is just dawning
so too was the light that came from the mouth
of that merciless pimp, for nigga he had
hella fine platinum up in his grill.
And seeing the masses of Grecians, a full generation
set for ten years in grim siege on the sand
the Hustler rattled his cane, a thunderous funk
and made known his will.

"Well well well
guess now be a good time to buy stock in coconut oil and cock rings
since y’all look like you ready to storm Fire Island and start a pride parade.
First time I seen a fleet of ships using they momma’s dirty drawers as sails.
That ain’t no Mycenaean insignia, that just where she couldn’t reach around ta wipe.
An do I see Odysseus sticking gettin rutty with that handmaid? Ima call Ithaca,
tell em they all need to file a missin bustas report.”

All through the camp, men fell transfixed
laid out by the insults that poured like hard rain
upon the wearied and weak. It seemed as a plague
that ran through the ranks, a vast rippling breath
like when the wind, blown black in the dusk
touches the grain and withers the stalks
and the farmers they gather what once was fine crop
and set it to torch to weep at the flames.

Mighty Achilles, a lion in temper, stepped onto the shore
from his proud flanks flashed fierce indignation
at the Ultimate Hustler, the man like dark wine all richly attired.
When kings go out hunting, they bring with them dogs,
tightly-haunched hounds with foam on their teeth.
The pack is arrayed, and now catches the scent
of a rabbit or stag and strains at the leash,
their limbs at the ready, their eyes full of death,
and finally their master loosens the rein
so was the wrath of Achilles that long had lain quiet,
now aimed at the Hustler and hot for its prey.

“Whether you be
a dark Ethiopian far from your home or else
a sunburnt man from a sunburnt land, Achilles
cares not. You now forfeit your life.”

So said Achilles, and drew forth his spear, the heft on his shoulder
the point all of bronze and, taking his aim, hurled it full force
like a bolt from Olympus.
But Mandingo was watching,
god of the Dozens, and turned it astray.

All there assembled, Achaean and Trojan, saw Achilles’ first failure
and soon wicked Rumor, with her venom and bile, started to whisper
that ain’t nobody choked that bad since yo momma
try deepthroating a Titan.
The Hustler boomed out his mirth.

“Next time you wanna give me yo shaft, make believe I’m Patroclus’ stankhole
and there ain’t no way you missin. Oh I forgot, Hector currently using that bitch
as a hood ornament. Take him down to the kennels, he metamorphose
into kibbles and bits. That nigga, he dead.
And what up with that armor? poo poo’s tacky. Bet that breastplate come with a horn
play “Lowrider” when you goosesteppin through the ranks.
Ain’t it bad enough you got grease face? Been, what, twenty years since yo momma
dip you in tha Styx, and the Hades EPA still tryin to clean the oil slick,
declaring it unfit for animal habitation.
My nigga Charon spark up a fatty, throw the match overboard,
poo poo goes up like Mt Etna.”

Mighty Achilles groaned like the ocean, let fall his arms to the ash at his feet.
Betaken by sorrow, he sought out his tent and the drowse of his harem
where black-visaged grief crept from the shadows. Like the waxes of Hybla
it muzzled his mind, stopped up his ears, made deaf his heart
to all the sweet pleas of men and immortals.

Just at that moment, the figure of Helen, awake in the city,
appeared on the walls. King Menelaos, the chariot driver,
gnashed all his teeth and raged at the day
she was promised as prize to craven Prince Paris
and doomed distant Troy.
She was spied by the Hustler.

“poo poo, ain’t it the daughter of Leda and a swan.
Bitch squirt up a douche, get a bowful of duck soup.
That the face launched a thousand ships? They all musta
gone looking for that most mythical of treasures, cure for dick blisters.
Only time the topless towers of Ilium get burned is when they go take a leak,
get funky discharge look like something Cerberus leave on yo carpet.
Bitch been ploughed more times than the winedark sea. Yeah
I droppin some poetical poo poo here. gently caress ya if ya hatin.
Everyone heard Helen so tough and hangly down there, she legally obligated
to have the Arby’s logo tattooed on her snatch.
Priam still around? Get him out here.
That nigga so old, last time he manage to pop wood,
Pandora’s box just got some peach fuzz
and Priapus’ balls ain’t even drop yet.
This some brokedown city y’all got here. Couple thousand years, Heinreich Schliemann
dig this place up, wonder what the hell the luddy convention was doin in town.
All looking like somebody built a group home for Cyclops crackheads.”

His counsel at end, the Hustler arose and took to the air
in the form of a bird, feathers jet-black, leaving all stunned.
Sometime a hunter when the race has been run
surveys the beast his arrows brought low,
admires the flank and the struggling faint breaths,
and though its life is near gone strings one last shaft
to take cold delight in an unneeded wound.
So now the Hustler, in no haste to leave,
flung finally a barb down into the field.

“First I thought that wicker tinker toy was the Trojan Horse,
but now y’all inside it, I see it just a raggedy-assed fruit basket.
And yo toga look like a dishrag.”

Tearing her hair, Queen Hecuba led
her waxen-faced ladies in an ebon procession
to Athena’s white temple, hoping the goddess
would pity their plight, grant Troy gray-eyed mercy.
Greeks and Dardanians, all there assembled, hearing the wail
added their voices to the keening and crying
and it is said that even Olympus covered its face
for the great lamentation:
“drat.”

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hi guys I'm looking for a book recommendation, does anyone have anything more recent than the Iliad?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

the amazing thing about the Iliad is that even today it’s a cool story with heroes at its base level but then the more you learn and think about archaic Greece and the culture it came from the more it opens up and actually reflects these universal human feelings and experiences in war. so much so that there’s a famous book about how what happens with Achilles is like what happened to soldiers in Vietnam https://www.amazon.com/Achilles-Vietnam-Combat-Undoing-Character/dp/0684813211

imagine you’ve completely internalized how significant Agamemnon taking a war prize (briseis) from Achilles would be in an heroic society (basically, the worst thing possible).

suddenly it’s this story where the hero is a victim who retreats from battle after being unjustly robbed of basically the only significant thing in his culture (arete / glory as expressed through trophy). he basically gives up on everything he and everyone else believes in. then he re-emerges after losing a comrade and commits unthinkable atrocities against a man everyone respects and honors (homer even lets the reader see hector with his son/wife in a totally devastating scene), only to finally allow the victim’s body/soul to rest after the father of the victim begs him (itself almost unthinkable).

amazing that the fundamental text of ancient Greek society is a story where the Greek “hero” rejects everything fundamental about his culture and does horrible things to the foreign guy whom we are clearly meant to sympathize with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mewse posted:

Hi guys I'm looking for a book recommendation, does anyone have anything more recent than the Iliad?

The Odyssey