Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I mean, she keeps surrounding herself with untrustworthy people so maybe she's right to not trust them. I personally wouldn't share with any single named character in that story, because what a bunch of terrible people in their own terrible ways. It's a no-heroes Joe Abercromie-rear end world.

I sure do love reading about the roiling disaster dumpster fire though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

akulanization posted:

This mostly misses the point of contention.

This just reads to me like an ao3 drama-induced misreading of A Practical Guide to Sorcery. The criticisms you make are already in the text, including pretty heavy foreshadowing that the increasingly extreme ways the character avoids dealing with the sleep issue is creating serious problems for future Siobhan. And her sudden justification of the problematic research could only be more obviously a self-deceptive rationalization if the character thought "I need to rationalize doing this so I can avoid dealing with the cause of my sleep problems." I don't know where this extraordinarily stupid idea that every protagonist's thoughts and actions are implicitly also the author's came from but it's bizarre to me every time I encounter it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The author may be dead but the author function is stronger than ever. Social media intensifies and speeds up discourse about texts while, at the same time, market forces make branding more important than ever to the popularity of a text.

I agree that it's an annoying pitfall of contemporary criticism, but I think it is hard to avoid given the environment reading occurs in nowadays.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
It is insanely easy actually.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SupSup 79: Well that question was underwhelming. But I think it was supposed to be underwhelming, along with Alden's entire view of the admissions process. He finally realises that Neha was right all along.

As expected we've got our new group of recurring characters - Kon seems like a decent person for a overpriviledged teenager at least and Marcel is cool.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Zore posted:

Yeah, a huge recurring element of PGtS is that Siobhan keeps making awful choices and digging herself in deeper instead of just telling someone the truth or trusting them. And to a large extent its managed to turn what would have been minor issues into life or death ones for her especially now that we know Oliver set her up and she never actually had the stupid book that made her a fugitive in the first place

The one thing in her life she hasn't managed to gently caress up yet is her relationship with some of her peers, which is basically currently her only real lifeline to anything sane or normal. And even that is still built on the bedrock of lies that is 'Sebastian' and the secret society nonsense she's playing with Damien.

That is what ultimately pushed me away from PGtS, she just makes the worst decisions over and over and it was bothering me. You know how in tv shows they always have arcs that could be solved immediately if people sat down and discussed their issues like adults? That annoys me as well and it is in the same vein as what PGtS does, everyone assumes the worst at all times and everyone is miserable.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Zore posted:

Yeah, a huge recurring element of PGtS is that Siobhan keeps making awful choices and digging herself in deeper instead of just telling someone the truth or trusting them. And to a large extent its managed to turn what would have been minor issues into life or death ones for her especially now that we know Oliver set her up and she never actually had the stupid book that made her a fugitive in the first place

The one thing in her life she hasn't managed to gently caress up yet is her relationship with some of her peers, which is basically currently her only real lifeline to anything sane or normal. And even that is still built on the bedrock of lies that is 'Sebastian' and the secret society nonsense she's playing with Damien.

APGtS
I know Oliver THINKS he pulled one over on Siobhan with the swapped book, but I'm like 99% sure she has a real one. It is doing stuff that only a Myrddin made magic item could do like with the will-only lock and cypher. Plus it had the gender changing amulet that operates on will alone inside. Something, again, only Myrddin is said to have been able to make.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nitrousoxide posted:

APGtS
I know Oliver THINKS he pulled one over on Siobhan with the swapped book, but I'm like 99% sure she has a real one. It is doing stuff that only a Myrddin made magic item could do like with the will-only lock and cypher. Plus it had the gender changing amulet that operates on will alone inside. Something, again, only Myrddin is said to have been able to make.

It's definitely one of Myrddin's books, but there's one the research team took a special interest in, that may or may not be the one Oliver has and may or may not be the reason everyone is so hot on Siobhan.

cf the prologue:

quote:

With effort, they opened the glyph-carved, iron doorway, and the archaeologist held his breath as he shone light into the expansive, dark room within. It had been carved out of the stone of the mountain itself. He stepped in slowly, his footsteps stirring up long-settled dust. The movement revealed the Circle of a spell array carved into the floor. Along one wall were stone shelves filled with books, some so ancient they seemed as if they would collapse into dust with a touch. Another wall displayed spell components, most decomposed to the point of uselessness.

But his attention was on the large desk in the middle of the room. Almost tiptoeing for fear of disturbing the relics all around him, the archaeologist moved toward it.

Atop it was a book. It lay open, with the handwriting stopping halfway down the page, abruptly, as if it had been interrupted. It was surrounded by loose sheets of parchment that held the faint remnants of drawings and diagrams, faded to the point of illegibility. Two bowls sat across from the book, one filled with beast cores of all different colors and sizes, enough potential energy for even the most powerful spells, and one with what seemed to be pure celerium Conduits, each half the size of his fist.

He leaned closer to the desk, ignoring the two bowls despite the wealth they contained, and peered at the ink scribbled across the book’s open page.

The writing was profoundly incomprehensible—encrypted with a spell—but still perfectly preserved. Of course Myrddin would have placed preservative spells on his research grimoire!

Wild glee rose up in the archaeologist, so heady it almost made him dizzy. He laughed aloud, the sound echoing off the stone walls with a hint of hysteria.

The book, and the research within, would be the answer to their country’s—maybe even their world’s—problems. All they needed to do was get it back to the University in Gilbratha and decrypt it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SupSup 79:

Good news, we are getting another Patreon chapter tomorrow.

As for this chapter, not a ton to comment on. It was doing a lot of the leg work needed to move the story along, but there wasn't a ton of stuff that begs discussion.

I do really like Jeremy's sister though. She seems fun.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

SupSup 79: Maricel rules and so does Jeremy's family. I like how you can get a sense of how exactly Jeremy managed to be such a solid person given that environment.

I like Kon but the dude stole a chip. Truly evil.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nitrousoxide posted:

APGtS

PGtS

Oliver almost definitely has The book that everyone's been looking for, but it wasn't the only one that they brought back from the expedition. They brought back a whole trove of Myrddin's stuff. Siobhan probably has a different one from the haul that the most important book was temporarily swapped out for during transit. Then Oliver hired Ennis to steal the replacement before the initial theft/replacement was noticed.

Still incredibly valuable, but maybe not literally world changing like the other. Because everyone wants a piece of whatever's in the big Myrddin book. And its entirely possible that its a double switch to begin with since they never actually translated the research tome and the book everyone thinks is valuable isn't while Siobhan ended up with the true treasure from the expedition by accident.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Zore posted:

PGtS

Oliver almost definitely has The book that everyone's been looking for, but it wasn't the only one that they brought back from the expedition. They brought back a whole trove of Myrddin's stuff. Siobhan probably has a different one from the haul that the most important book was temporarily swapped out for during transit. Then Oliver hired Ennis to steal the replacement before the initial theft/replacement was noticed.

Still incredibly valuable, but maybe not literally world changing like the other. Because everyone wants a piece of whatever's in the big Myrddin book. And its entirely possible that its a double switch to begin with since they never actually translated the research tome and the book everyone thinks is valuable isn't while Siobhan ended up with the true treasure from the expedition by accident.

APGtS

I actually think that Siobhan's book is the important one, not Oliver's. Her gender-flipping amulet is probably what is giving her the ability to do the split-will thing which is letting her crack the cypher. I think Oliver's book is straight up impossible to decrypt without her gender amulet. The only other real possibility for why she can do the split-will thing is some side effect of her grandfather's blood magic or her encounter with an aberrant as a kid. But Myrddin making his decryption reliant on that seems pretty sketchy. It seems far more likely that it relies on the reader having access to a will-splitting tool that he made to prove their authenticity.

There's also a decent chance Siobhan is straight up Myrddin. The chapter about Myrddin's time-reversed reflection bares a striking resemblance to what is going on with her amulet.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wittgen posted:

SupSup 79: Maricel rules and so does Jeremy's family. I like how you can get a sense of how exactly Jeremy managed to be such a solid person given that environment.

I like Kon but the dude stole a chip. Truly evil.

(SupSup 79): Arjun's feedback was a highlight for me --- it's nice that someone actually takes Alden seriously. If they actually talk, which seems likely given the whole guest instructor thing, he may end up being invaluable help. Also, Jeffie sounds fun. Nice celebration. (And the rule-loving girl should make some fun interaction with Alden's natural wholesomeness).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nothingtoseehere posted:

SupSup 79: Well that question was underwhelming. But I think it was supposed to be underwhelming, along with Alden's entire view of the admissions process. He finally realises that Neha was right all along.

As expected we've got our new group of recurring characters - Kon seems like a decent person for a overpriviledged teenager at least and Marcel is cool.

I shall call our new characters Replacement Jeremy and Replacement Boe! I suspect Max only got in because they deliberately used a bad psychologist. Edit: On a reread I like that Replacement Jeremy Kon subtly steered the conversation to remind his friends that B ranks have their own quota so none of them failed because Alden passed. He seems pretty awesome.

I actually thought the question was quite clever, in universe - it's testing the determination of the applicants, which would otherwise be hard to do in a single day. But as a reveal to the reader it wasn't anything special, especially after a week long wait where people were getting pretty hyped up wondering what it would be.

Overall, there wasn't a lot of excitement or reveals in the chapter, but it was enjoyable in that distinctive way SupSup is even when not much is happening, which made me happy.

Peachfart posted:

That is what ultimately pushed me away from PGtS, she just makes the worst decisions over and over and it was bothering me. You know how in tv shows they always have arcs that could be solved immediately if people sat down and discussed their issues like adults? That annoys me as well and it is in the same vein as what PGtS does, everyone assumes the worst at all times and everyone is miserable.

People keep saying this, but I feel like it's pretty well established in PGtS that if Siobhan sat down and started trusting people and being honest she'd be in some lightless jail cell/shadowy research laboratory within minutes.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 23, 2023

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bremen posted:

I shall call our new characters Replacement Jeremy and Replacement Boe! I suspect Max only got in because they deliberately used a bad psychologist.

I actually thought the question was quite clever, in universe - it's testing the determination of the applicants, which would otherwise be hard to do in a single day. But as a reveal to the reader it wasn't anything special, especially after a week long wait where people were getting pretty hyped up wondering what it would be.

Overall, there wasn't a lot of excitement or reveals in the chapter, but it was enjoyable in that distinctive way SupSup is even when not much is happening, which made me happy.

People keep saying this, but I feel like it's pretty well established in PGtS that if Siobhan sat down and started trusting people and being honest she'd be in some lightless jail cell/shadowy research laboratory within minutes.

Eh at this point absolutely. But its mostly because she absolutely buried herself at the start of the story in progressively deeper poo poo.

Hell if she just hadn't run at the very beginning of the story she probably could have just gone to magic school normally and correctly pinned everything on Ennis. Or she could have just... left at literally any time.

But yeah at this point the only person she could even come clean to without it completely blowing up on her is like... Anna I think? She owes Siobhan enough for her help that she probably wouldn't destroy everything. She just also currently doesn't actually have anywhere near enough power to really help her with anything.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 23, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Zore posted:

Eh at this point absolutely. But its mostly because she absolutely buried herself at the start of the story in progressively deeper poo poo.

Hell if she just hadn't run at the very beginning of the story she probably could have just gone to magic school normally and correctly pinned everything on Ennis.

I feel like we read completely different stories, because that feels like exactly the opposite of what would have happened. I think the absolute best she could have hoped for was a few months in jail and then a lifetime ban from the university, and given how lovely the government comes off as she'd probably end up in an even worse spot.

And it also relies on her making a spontaneous judgement call that she shouldn't run when caught commiting a crime and then throw her own father under the bus.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 23, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Zore posted:

Hell if she just hadn't run at the very beginning of the story she probably could have just gone to magic school normally and correctly pinned everything on Ennis.

I... really doubt that.

She's even made multiple attempts at fobbing her book off to the University or the Crown. The former of which betrayed her at the meeting and tried to capture her, and the latter of which just said "gently caress off, you're going in a cell for the rest of your life or getting executed"

Her unknowing mentor has also made it clear that he's happily willing to use mind control to secure things for the crown and the Red Guard.

She doesn't have an option of just "stop being a criminal and start trusting the powers that be"

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nothingtoseehere posted:

That was my gut feeling too. Kind of surprised that nobody in-chapter talked about mind-control abilities being allowed. That seems like it should have been a real soul-searching moment.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I... really doubt that.

She's even made multiple attempts at fobbing her book off to the University or the Crown. The former of which betrayed her at the meeting and tried to capture her, and the latter of which just said "gently caress off, you're going in a cell for the rest of your life or getting executed"

Her unknowing mentor has also made it clear that he's happily willing to use mind control to secure things for the crown and the Red Guard.

She doesn't have an option of just "stop being a criminal and start trusting the powers that be"

I guess it depends

At the beginning of the story no one gave a poo poo about Siobhan Naught and in a hypothetical scenario where she doesn't run and just immediately gives the book back she's only really useful as leverage against Ennis. And while the government and powers that be suck really bad, I'm not actually sure what would happen to her afterwards would be a worse outcome than the horrific situation she willingly puts herself in with Oliver. She's also dumb and reckless enough to possibly still catch Thaddeus' attention (which is also a bad thing but something she desperately wants).

At this point, or really any point after she initially ran, yeah she'd be a moron to do anything but keep her plates spinning or disappear as far away as possible.

But I do think A Lot of the reason no one is willing to cut her any slack at all is because she's had the book for a while and made fools of the people who owned it. If she hadn't they'd probably be content to casually ruin her life rather than devoting time and resources to it

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 23, 2023

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Nitrousoxide posted:

APGtS

I actually think that Siobhan's book is the important one, not Oliver's. Her gender-flipping amulet is probably what is giving her the ability to do the split-will thing which is letting her crack the cypher. I think Oliver's book is straight up impossible to decrypt without her gender amulet. The only other real possibility for why she can do the split-will thing is some side effect of her grandfather's blood magic or her encounter with an aberrant as a kid. But Myrddin making his decryption reliant on that seems pretty sketchy. It seems far more likely that it relies on the reader having access to a will-splitting tool that he made to prove their authenticity.

There's also a decent chance Siobhan is straight up Myrddin. The chapter about Myrddin's time-reversed reflection bares a striking resemblance to what is going on with her amulet.

APGtS

I disagree that the gender amulet thing is what's causing the split will. I think Myrddin can dualcast because he controlled his aberrant/reflection, same as Shiobhan's grandfather tried to do for her but he was only able to get the job half done before he died and Shiobhan forgot what she was supposed to do to finish the job. Her grandfather was grooming her to be extremely powerful, magic seems to be a lot like Chess in that you need to start at a very young age to develop your brain the right way to perform at a high level. If you start too late (such as if you live somewhere where the government makes it illegal to do magic as a child) then your growth is permanently stunted and you'll never be as good as someone whose brain was doing chess while it was developing.

There's also a lot of mirror stuff going on in her nightmares/memories of the night her grandfather died, perhaps mirrors are part of bringing a controllable aberrant into the world to bargin with or bind.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nothingtoseehere posted:

SupSup 79: The question was good, and I can't actually think of anything that would have been better. These teenagers have just experienced some of the worst pain they've ever felt. Being told "actually the real thing, that you'll experience during training, will be worse" would definitely make you reconsider.

Like actually seriously think about what it'd feel like to be stabbed with a spear or hit in the stomach with a large chunk of concrete. You can't just push through that stuff with willpower, and experiencing ~70% of that pain (which would still be harrowing) and, soon afterwards, being told that you'll have to experience things even worse during your training would be very tough.

A question like "would you be willing to die for other people" (or whatever) would be dumb because it would be completely abstract for the students. As opposed to the pain, which they literally just experienced (and in practice would be a far bigger barrier to what hero training seems to entail). Even if they were warned in advance, the question would mean more after they've actually experienced the pain in question.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bremen posted:

I shall call our new characters Replacement Jeremy and Replacement Boe! I suspect Max only got in because they deliberately used a bad psychologist.

I don't think Max has done anything too bad - as you point out one of the things they are testing for is determination, and if they were dissuaded by Max's pokings they probably didn't have it. Same as him baiting people into killshots - those still hurt, and he took them intentionally all day. That shows a ability to manipulate a fight and a willingness to be hurt to achieve goals, which is exactly what they are after.

Sure it's cynical thinking, but you need some of that as a hero - we've just seen a staff member talk about branding potential all day, there's no requirement to be fully selfless to be a hero. There's a reason they offer the ability to come back later fully ready for what the suits will do to you, and Max has shown he has the gut to be a hero.

Very much in a transition now, a bit like 63-64, but it'll be worth it. Question is how long Alden will stay in a school arc for.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I know Bog Standard Isekai isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but this last chapter was fun action, a hilarious bit at the end, and a good look at the ”evil” class and how it might affect you. Some of those skills are super creepy and gross, but you can see how someone in the right headspace and situation might pick (lol) one.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

navyjack posted:

I know Bog Standard Isekai isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but this last chapter was fun action, a hilarious bit at the end, and a good look at the ”evil” class and how it might affect you. Some of those skills are super creepy and gross, but you can see how someone in the right headspace and situation might pick (lol) one.

I am enjoying, it's a very well executed numbers-go-up story.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I don't think Max has done anything too bad - as you point out one of the things they are testing for is determination, and if they were dissuaded by Max's pokings they probably didn't have it. Same as him baiting people into killshots - those still hurt, and he took them intentionally all day. That shows a ability to manipulate a fight and a willingness to be hurt to achieve goals, which is exactly what they are after.

Sure it's cynical thinking, but you need some of that as a hero - we've just seen a staff member talk about branding potential all day, there's no requirement to be fully selfless to be a hero. There's a reason they offer the ability to come back later fully ready for what the suits will do to you, and Max has shown he has the gut to be a hero.

Very much in a transition now, a bit like 63-64, but it'll be worth it. Question is how long Alden will stay in a school arc for.

(SupSup 79) Those are valid reasons why the school might not want to make him knock it off (though I question even that), but they do nothing to address his suitability as a hero. Max has shown he's willing to lie, manipulate, and destroy other people's lives for personal gain. What happens if he becomes a hero and another hero is outperforming him and potentially about to take Max's job? Or if a villain offers him a large bribe to be conveniently unavailable when the villain commits a crime? He's clearly not hero material, at least hero material in any setting where the heroes are actually worth the name.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how the bad psychologist would be related to Max getting in, since the psychologist isn't the one choosing who's admitted. Like that other student mentioned, anyone who can be easily baited into doing kill-blows against you probably doesn't have the right mindset to be a hero. And his attempt to trick people to drop out was just using the same trick the school itself was attempting to use (and the strategy was obvious to Alden, and probably others as well, so anyone who dropped out because of what Max said is kind of a rube who was just looking for an excuse to avoid the pain of the physical exams).

And Max is a B-Rank like Alden, but without Alden's guaranteed admission. He's fighting a huge uphill battle to get admitted, so it makes sense that he was willing to do whatever it takes.

I'll be surprised if Max is still an rear end in a top hat when he gets into the school, since there won't be any reason for him to act like that anymore. I think he'll still be intense (since he's clearly hyper-committed to becoming a hero, or at least receiving high-tier hero training), but he won't benefit from pissing off all his peers, especially as a B-Rank. And even in his interactions with Alden, who he viewed as his main competition as a fellow B-Rank, he never did anything underhanded. Max is actually kind of interesting largely because he's similar to Alden in terms of skill-set; he's a fellow B-Rank with a heavily supportive ability. And he's even the same Class Alden originally wanted!

Bremen posted:

(SupSup 79) Those are valid reasons why the school might not want to make him knock it off (though I question even that), but they do nothing to address his suitability as a hero. Max has shown he's willing to lie, manipulate, and destroy other people's lives for personal gain. What happens if he becomes a hero and another hero is outperforming him and potentially about to take Max's job? Or if a villain offers him a large bribe to be conveniently unavailable when the villain commits a crime? He's clearly not hero material, at least hero material in any setting where the heroes are actually worth the name.

He's not destroying their lives, though. It's a zero sum game who gets into the school, and it's an elite hero school with many alternatives; it's like saying you ruined someone's life because they didn't get into Harvard (and even then the stuff he did still required the people he "tricked" to do something very stupid - it's not like he poisoned them or something). And the two things he did were both things that someone would have to be pretty dumb to fall for. The kill-blow trick in particular was simply a good idea - tricking your opponent into doing something stupid is definitely better than just getting owned (which would have happened otherwise, since he's a B-Rank).

He's a B-Rank, so his chances were low to start with. He probably (correctly) realized that he'd need to do more than just earnestly show off his skills.

edit: Ah, my bad, I misunderstand this somewhat. Actually I guess with the "ruining their lives" thing you're talking about the kill blows getting people blacklisted. Though I still don't exactly have much pity for someone who was easily taunted into doing that; seems like a really bad disposition for a hero to have.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 23, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Ah, my bad, I misunderstand this somewhat. Actually I guess with the "ruining their lives" thing you're talking about the kill blows getting people blacklisted. Though I still don't exactly have much pity for someone who was easily taunted into doing that; seems like a really bad disposition for a hero to have.

(SupSup 79) My read on it is (at least with the one we saw) they threw a weapon at him expecting him to dodge, to give them the opening to close the range, and he deliberately stood in place to make it a killing blow so they'd get disqualified. If it weren't a blow that could be easily dodged, it wouldn't have been obvious to everyone Max chose not to do so. And to me that's pretty similar to if someone shot at a shoulder and their opponent deliberately moved to catch it in the eye.

And there's a big difference between kids who are violent enough to want to kill someone and kids that are just kids who get frustrated in training after being deliberately goaded and accidentally go for an attack that ends up being lethal. It's entirely possible that the latter would have been helped by the school and learned better judgement, but now they'll never get that chance for the sole reason that they ended up matched with Max.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 23, 2023

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

APGtS

My take on what’s she’s doing is it’s something “anyone” can do, but it’s known the be impossible. Like running a sub 4 minute mile was believed to be impossible until a teacher said “uh no it’s not”

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

cyrn posted:

This just reads to me like an ao3 drama-induced misreading of A Practical Guide to Sorcery. The criticisms you make are already in the text, including pretty heavy foreshadowing that the increasingly extreme ways the character avoids dealing with the sleep issue is creating serious problems for future Siobhan. And her sudden justification of the problematic research could only be more obviously a self-deceptive rationalization if the character thought "I need to rationalize doing this so I can avoid dealing with the cause of my sleep problems." I don't know where this extraordinarily stupid idea that every protagonist's thoughts and actions are implicitly also the author's came from but it's bizarre to me every time I encounter it.

Eh, you guys are willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt that some how this will all play out in a satisfying way eventually. But a) that hasn't happened yet, and b) if you are going to recommend a story you don't do it off of future potential. I was responding to the people saying that it was actually a good handling of ethics to point out that it was in fact very much not. Which you seem to agree with here.

nrook posted:

I should respond in earnest. I think it is an unfortunate trend coming from the YA fandom to judge fiction primarily by how closely the author's politics look like they mirror the reader's. It's a continuing theme of A Practical Guide to Sorcery that Siobhan is constrained and affected by both her difficult situation and the mode of thought enforced on her by her upbringing. She makes bad decisions regularly, including morally dubious ones. It's a mistake to read the series thinking it's endorsing everything she does.

It may be true that themes like "new ideas are unfairly oppressed by a doctrinaire society" come from Azalea Ellis's love of mosquito nets, but I don't really care: Such ideas have been in fiction forever, and I've enjoyed lots of books written by people with different outlooks than my own.

Framing and elision are also important when evaluating a story. The rationalist professor is wrong to a comical degree about the raven queen but he is also held in esteme by everyone else; saying that the story thinks that rationalism is cool and good is just looking at the text. And for what it's worth his work with the magic CIA is also clearly supposed to be bad. These motifs are consistent enough that I find it unlikely that they will ultimately be discarded. Further, the author's professed enthusiasm for including a "effective altruist" in the text is absolutely indicative about how the author will concieve of social change and resistance to an unjust or corrupt system. Effective altruism is a scam ideology to consolidate discontent behind billionaire controlled thinktanks and foundations, appealling specifically to a certain style of technocrat. And we see this play out! There are deep injustices and inequities in play for the lower classes in this country, but they have no organic intellectuals and the only organic organizations we see are crime families. Without someone coming in and organizing the lower classes they are nonfactors. All Siobhan's friends and associates are wealthy or aristocrats after the humming guy explodes, because the author has written a story that elides the agency of the oppressed. This could change in the future. As of the point I stopped reading it had not.

You have entangled my point that the author has written a story with political themes I find grating with my point that Siobhan makes bad choices. I can agree that the text wants us to believe that she makes choices that are not good for her, that the criticism is intentional. But the references and background that a work draws on is fair game for critique. I also specifically think that the background of the work means we are unlikely to see her find the space to make better choices, as a fantasy protagonist Siobhan won't be able to find a less stressful environment so what she could really use are people she can actually trust and who trust her. I don't see that coming, the students at the wizard school are all close to power, which raise an inevitable barrier. The people outside of that proximity to power are also alienated from her, and are largly portrayed as unable to build any kind of mutual relatioship with her. You are free to enjoy a work where everyone is playing mind games that make them miserable and social change is the product of special visionaries who see farther than the rest of society. I am uninterested. The theme of "knowledge being unfairly supressed in a doctrinaire society" could come from a reading of any number of texts, I think it is absolutely worth interrogating where it actually comes from. Just like, for example, you absolutely can get something out of looking at where Uncle Tom's Cabin fails as a consequence of its white author and garrisonian abolitionism.

Blood magic specifically in aPGtS has a history, the past wizard empire seems to have abused it to create great horrors. That is textually why blood magic is taboo, because it was a symbol of imperial domination and magical excess. It isn't new knowledge, it's old knowledge. And honestly, swearing to set it aside seems to be pretty understandable from that perspective. The text from what I remember largely did not agree with this notion, because the text thinks knowledge is a good unto itself, and because blood magic is efficient for healing. The argument against bringing back blood magic is largely inferred, and the strongest prompting is that Siobhan's use of blood magic to help her sleep is pretty hosed up. Something that a few readers within this thread have said they thought was a good display of ethics. And I don't think those people are missing something exactly, the story has all kinds of nods to the fundamental good of science and knowledge and so when people do unethical science within the text it is much easier to read it positively. This is a point of contradiction within the story, and might be rich to unspool later; with sequestered wizards doing questionably ethical experiments being the exact reason that blood magic went bad before. But the text is still being written. It's possible that all this amounts to nothing, it's possible that the author is intending each critique and the story is going to in some way incorporate them.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

akulanization posted:

rationalist fiction, in that it is influenced by the same nexus of ideas that produced Big Yud and his awful harry potter rewrite

Eliezer Yudkowsky is the world's greatest living writer, bar none. If anything, he originated a specific genre which we today call rationalist fiction.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bremen posted:

(SupSup 79) My read on it is (at least with the one we saw) they threw a weapon at him expecting him to dodge, to give them the opening to close the range, and he deliberately stood in place to make it a killing blow so they'd get disqualified. If it weren't a blow that could be easily dodged, it wouldn't have been obvious to everyone Max chose not to do so. And to me that's pretty similar to if someone shot at a shoulder and their opponent deliberately moved to catch it in the eye.

And there's a big difference between kids who are violent enough to want to kill someone and kids that are just kids who get frustrated in training after being deliberately goaded and accidentally go for an attack that ends up being lethal. It's entirely possible that the latter would have been helped by the school and learned better judgement, but now they'll never get that chance for the sole reason that they ended up matched with Max.

(SupSup 79) It's possible that the kids goaded into the "kill shots" weren't blacklisted, since they mentioned that you could appeal it as a mistake.

My guess is that they could probably avoid the blacklisting if Max actually deliberately dodged into the shot (like a shot at the arm where Max moved so it hit his chest). But merely "a lethal attack Max could have dodged but didn't" is still definitely their fault, since it was a deliberate attack that would be lethal if it connected (and Max doesn't have any powers that make him abnormally good at dodging).

And at the end of the day, most of the kids at this exam could probably benefit from going to the school - it's a top-tier hero training school, after all. But there are still limited slots. For each kid disqualified due to Max, someone else is getting in. So there's no actual net loss in "heroes receiving training."

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

(SupSup 79) It's possible that the kids goaded into the "kill shots" weren't blacklisted, since they mentioned that you could appeal it as a mistake.

My guess is that they could probably avoid the blacklisting if Max actually deliberately dodged into the shot (like a shot at the arm where Max moved so it hit his chest). But merely "a lethal attack Max could have dodged but didn't" is still definitely their fault, since it was a deliberate attack that would be lethal if it connected (and Max doesn't have any powers that make him abnormally good at dodging).

And at the end of the day, most of the kids at this exam could probably benefit from going to the school - it's a top-tier hero training school, after all. But there are still limited slots. For each kid disqualified due to Max, someone else is getting in. So there's no actual net loss in "heroes receiving training."

If (SupSup 79) the kids didn't get blacklisted from every hero school, I think that's much better. But unless Max knew that, it still reflects really badly on him - he clearly didn't care if a bunch of kids had their dreams crushed to improve his odds slightly. And yeah, you can say "if they could be goaded into it then they weren't hero material" but the fact he was quite happy to do it despite that, along with all the other stuff he did, makes me strongly suspect he's a sociopath.

Let's look at it from another angle. If this wasn't a hero school, but a police academy, which characters do you think would be most likely to turn into bad cops? Sure, the ones tricked into fake lethal attacks had bad judgement, but there's at least a chance bad judgement could be fixed with education. Max as a cop would definitely worry me though.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 24, 2023

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

cultureulterior posted:

Eliezer Yudkowsky is the world's greatest living writer, bar none. If anything, he originated a specific genre which we today call rationalist fiction.

Source your quotes

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Bremen posted:

If (SupSup 79)
Let's look at it from another angle. If this wasn't a hero school, but a police academy, which characters do you think would be most likely to turn into bad cops?

(SupSup 79) the ones who jump to lethal force at the slightest hint of adversity or stress. and lexi.

e: I dont really understand the kon situation tho - I wonder why his result wasnt 'come back with some levels and a way to use this skill in hero work'. From what we've seen of heroes in the wild they basically do combat, and he would be useless there unless his skill gives him a swerve. Like I can see how it COULD be cool in the future, but to me that doesn't seem to match the entrance criteria they seem to be testing for.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 24, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

awesmoe posted:

(SupSup 79) the ones who jump to lethal force at the slightest hint of adversity or stress. and lexi.

e: I dont really understand the kon situation tho - I wonder why his result wasnt 'come back with some levels and a way to use this skill in hero work'. From what we've seen of heroes in the wild they basically do combat, and he would be useless there unless his skill gives him a swerve. Like I can see how it COULD be cool in the future, but to me that doesn't seem to match the entrance criteria they seem to be testing for.

Ss79: He is an S rank adjuster with a unique starting spell and skill. It's a bit of a gamble on the schools part, but Kon said that it's common wisdom that unique stuff from the system tends to have more potential. S rank is really powerful and Adjuster is a flexible class. His starting power has uses in crime fighting. I think letting him in makes a lot of sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SS79: Regarding Kon, the school also has to worry about someone else scooping him up. So taking a gamble on an S-Rank Adjuster with an unprecedented Skill/spell probably seemed like a good idea.

And regarding Max, his strategy wasn't exactly something easy on his end. It required that he put himself through a ton of pain.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that Max has some circumstances driving him to become a hero, similar to Maricel. It's also his second attempt, so he probably did the exams "normally" the first time, before realizing how difficult things would be as a B-Rank.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
SS67 (public) great chapter with believable characters. Nice to see Alden taking steps towards normalcy. Neha is great and I hope they have more interactions going forward. Lol at the gum

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Bog Standard 3-18:

quote:

He couldn’t really blame Hogg. Evil Classes really did get inside your head, and even though it had never been his plan to kill Hogg, he had been really close to taking and using [Wound Transfer]. That would be the smart thing to do, right?

gently caress offfffffff

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

blastron posted:

Bog Standard 3-18:

gently caress offfffffff

:stare: maybe I should catch up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

blastron posted:

Bog Standard 3-18:

Now that we see the exact mechanics of an evil skill, I wonder if Tawna gets XP for fate manipulation kills and she was using Brin to target Hogg.