Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

As I grow older I've found that the best part about running an in-home TV station is being able to tune into one of the channels full of poo poo I like, turning the volume down, and falling asleep. The second best part is being able to binge horror movies during October without being able to pause or get distracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

As I grow older I've found that the best part about running an in-home TV station is being able to tune into one of the channels full of poo poo I like, turning the volume down, and falling asleep. The second best part is being able to binge horror movies during October without being able to pause or get distracted.

I really like the idea of setting one of these up it sounds really cool

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Nothing on Netflix is good. Except ITYSL but that’s not horror

The Night Comes For Us would like a word

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Netflix has some decent horror that rotates in, im sure all stuff you could see elsewhere tho. I forget if they still have them atm but they had the Ouija Flanagan film and the Unfriended films at points. Also both Creep movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

hey the tom baker dr who years are pretty good.

other than that, yes.

The more of a budget Who has, the worse it is by far.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The more of a budget Who has, the worse it is by far.

oh no question

i'm actually kind of a recent convert to the Tom Baker stuff and I feel like there's crossover appeal there for horror fans who want to see some fun low-budget monster design

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ruddiger posted:

Bokeem Woodbine is great in it. Speaking of which, I just rewatched Caught Up with Bokeem Woodbine and Jeffrey Combs, it’s got some pretty fun Jamaican/voodoo stuff going on in it.

How have I not seen this, what a cast

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Just finished Older Gods and it's a perfectly serviceable Lovecraftian horror movie! I don't think it's anything to write home about, but with some pizza and beer on a Saturday, it's a decent little cosmic chiller.

Ignore the 'I am 14 and this is edgy so I drew it on my Trapper Keeper' poster, it's a better movie than it looks. Sound design especially is great, lots of nice little creepy whispers and overlapping dialogue, and some of the best sounding rain I've seen in a movie in a while (which is a weird thing to say but it does sound really nice).

Really digging this atm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh no question

i'm actually kind of a recent convert to the Tom Baker stuff and I feel like there's crossover appeal there for horror fans who want to see some fun low-budget monster design

All of the Who EU stuff that's any good is from the era where fans were forced to use their imagination.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Have you ever talked about how you do this? I kinda want to see what I could put together.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Netflix has some decent horror that rotates in, im sure all stuff you could see elsewhere tho. I forget if they still have them atm but they had the Ouija Flanagan film and the Unfriended films at points. Also both Creep movies.

Yeah Netflix has a lot of crap in their Original lineup, but there are some gems too. Like you said Creep/Creep 2 but also - His House, Del Toro's Pinocchio, the Fear Street movies, I'm Thinking of Ending Things, Midnight Mass, Hush, the Ritual, Brand New Cherry Flavor, The Perfection, Cam, and others I'm forgetting I'm sure.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For some reason I tend to forget about Pinocchio when Netflix is discussed even though it just came out this year. Really excellent, definitely check that out if you haven't already.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The House is also a pretty good horror-adjacent anthology. The first story is kind of Rose red-ish evil house that's constantly rebuilding itself, the second story is basically a metaphor for how society treats the mentally ill and has some creepy imagery towards the end and the third story is mostly closure for the themes of obsession, but it's a cool watch.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Have you ever talked about how you do this? I kinda want to see what I could put together.

On and off, no formal post (though I may make a thread one day if I ever get off my butt and I figure out where to put it...). I do have this old outdated tutorial I made to set up a super basic randomization script but it doesn't really cover much of the modulation side of things or even how to set your video output to composite.

https://medium.com/@hardluckerin/how-to-create-a-24-7-tv-channel-for-your-home-using-a-raspberry-pi-3b-part-1-the-basic-setup-11df379ec8da

I honestly kinda muddled my way through using Probnot's Tech's videos and some frantic Googling. Big thing that's outdated is that cloning the Kodi skin using Putty no longer works that way and I usually just import my own modified skin with the extra scripts for the corner logo and stuff. One day I'll self host all the logo scripts and modded skin and show how to set up PseudoTV and such but yeah.

This is a quick and dirty walkthrough video I made of the system and equipment. Please don't judge me too harshly for the mess; one day I'd love to get a rack modulator instead of some daisy-chained off the shelf units (and a VCR) and find a way to stack and cool all the Pis and maybe even run them off a single power source just to clear up some of the cables but I'm too busy enjoying actually watching the channels to worry about clean up too much. And also I do not make much money so thrifted parts have to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6o9InBWaQg

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Since everywhere is experiencing a heatwave right now what are some of the hottest(temperature not horny) horror movies. My vote ? Graveyard Shift.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Since everywhere is experiencing a heatwave right now what are some of the hottest(temperature not horny) horror movies. My vote ? Graveyard Shift.

Well I know we were just talking about it but Texas Chainsaw for sure. Maybe it's just the stories from the set that have come out over the years about how hot it was inside that house but it seems like I can feel it when I watch those scenes.

I also just rewatched Angel Heart recently and I don't think there is a scene in that movie where the characters aren't sweating their rear end off.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Predator 2 is top tier sweaty heat movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Predator 2 counts

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Predator 2 is top tier movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Predator 2 is top tier sweaty heat movie

gently caress you

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Graveyard Shift is so sick, nails the run down new england textile mill atmosphere, my mom used to work at a place like that

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea the scenes in the police station in Predator 2 look like the heat is so thick they're swimming in it. It looks suffocating.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Predator 2 is top tier movie

It’s the best predator movie

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Devil's Rejects is sweaty as hell.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the scenes in the police station in Predator 2 look like the heat is so thick they're swimming in it. It looks suffocating.

movies you can smell

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I remember Wolf Creek feeling very hot

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wake in Fright isn't really horror (except maybe if you interpreted it as a horror film where the Monster is Australians) but it might be the sweatiest movie ever made. Similarly in The Proposition, another not quite horror film where Australia is basically depicted as hell where every white person in the film is Rotten to the core and constantly covered in a swarm of flies, every frame is drenched in sweat.

Actual Australian horror movie Road Games is also pretty sweaty in parts.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 24, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tcm The remake is pretty hot and muggy bc of the Bay sweaty aesthetic

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wake in Fright isn't really horror (except maybe if you interpreted it as a horror film where the Monster is Australians) but it might be the sweatiest movie ever made. Similarly in The Proposition, another not quite horror film where Australia is basically depicted as hell where every white person in the film is Rotten to the core and constantly covered in a swarm of flies, every frame is drenched in sweat.

Actual Australian horror movie Road Games is also pretty sweaty in parts.

all great movies

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Thoughts on Night of the Creeps? For whatever reason I'd never really heard of it until the other day and the trailer is great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Thoughts on Night of the Creeps? For whatever reason I'd never really heard of it until the other day and the trailer is great.

Definitely recommended. I guess it probably gets overlooked because of how many "Night of..." movies there are but it's a really fun throwback along the lines of The Blob '88(although not quite as good).

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

A Proper Uppercut posted:

One of the first horror movies I was served up during my dive and it's a fun little spoof. Lots of tributes to different horror cliches, a great Tom Atkins role, and a really fun protagonist duo. Very pleasantly 80s and a lot of the humor feels pretty modern. Only complaint is that the pacing and plot are all over the place.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Should you be telling us this mister?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Night of the Creep is weird because I watched it recently but couldn’t remember anything about it even though I thought I had seen it before. Then as watching it I realized I definitely had seen it but just forgot most of it. And I enjoyed it. But now a few months later I’ve kind of forgot it again.

Some films just don’t stick with me no matter how many times I watch them.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
How's this for a hot horror movie: Sunshine

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Basebf555 posted:

Well I know we were just talking about it but Texas Chainsaw for sure. Maybe it's just the stories from the set that have come out over the years about how hot it was inside that house but it seems like I can feel it when I watch those scenes.

Hooper was the master of sweaty horror, see also Eaten Alive

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh that's a good one. I haven't seen Eaten Alive in like forever. I'll watch that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm making this post for me rather than any of you: I spent the last few weeks trying to remember the name of the horror movie where the guy is hiking alone in the wilderness and then randomly a face peeks through his tent flap in the middle of the night and it's horrifying, anyway, that movie is called The Interior, which I only know because my Plex screensaver tossed a photo of it up and I was like, THAT WAS IT.

So that was it.

Now I'm watching this one and even knowing what's coming it got me. Holy poo poo lol

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gonna see The Dive tomorrow, basically that 127 Hours/Fall style of situation horror (yeah, I'm forcing that as a name), it looks pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-QTB7LFZBw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Proposition is my favorite western for sure. Everyone on screen just covered in sweat, dust, and flies.