Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

One Piece is 100% Netflix original so it's all at once, baybee

So you're saying I'll be able to watch the entire live action run in one piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:pram:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ThingOne posted:

I thought I read they were moving away from binge-dumps but I guess I was wrong. I was worried they would do something more like Stone Ocean's weird half-and-half release.
It's super inconsistent. 2 anime this season are weekly and at least 2 I know of were dumped

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Love the untranslateable Japanese pun -> baffling nonsequitur pipeline

Sindai posted:

It's super inconsistent. 2 anime this season are weekly and at least 2 I know of were dumped
Think it depends whether Netflix is the primary release or if they're just paying to have it on their platform (after it airs somewhere else). At least they aren't waiting until the entire series has aired before uploading it now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I kinda like Helmeppo having the greasy mullet when he's in failson mode. It kinda seems like they're casting Koby and Helmeppo in a way that'll make their transformation under Garp a bit less jarring

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's so much about One Piece that the wider world isn't prepared for, Den Den Mushis are merely at the top of the list.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Flair posted:

Would you like to read this new manga called Shojo Null? The manga is literally this.

Haha, okay this is totally my jam, thanks for the rec. Bloody robo revenge bender, let's goooooo, gonna be sad when it gets shitcanned in like a month

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Season 2 should just follow around Senor Pink.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Played by Bryan Cranston

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Now that I've accepted the live action series won't be what it theoretically could be in a just and orderly universe, I am super down to watch it. It looks badgood in the best possible way.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Amante posted:

Now that I've accepted the live action series won't be what it theoretically could be in a just and orderly universe, I am super down to watch it. It looks badgood in the best possible way.

To be fair, did you really expect Netflix to fully commit to a perfect 1:1 ratio transition? Most of these drat set pieces look like a Smas Bros stage, it's a miracle we got things like Baratie at all

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Cat Machine posted:

At this point I don’t care if the acting/story/CG sucks, this show has been worth it for the casting/costuming/props alone

Help me, I'm actually getting hyped for something.

White Light posted:

To be fair, did you really expect Netflix to fully commit to a perfect 1:1 ratio transition? Most of these drat set pieces look like a Smas Bros stage, it's a miracle we got things like Baratie at all

We're actually getting set pieces instead of actors wondering around a greenscreen wonderland in mo-cap suits.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 24, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Terper posted:

That's the Japanese onomatopoeia for picking up the phone, in the dub they go with "clllick", so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUeuVVNvngc

Cuh-lick? Instead of "Gatcha!"? That dog won't hunt, monseigneur :mad:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Who do you guys think they're gonna cast as Imu?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Me

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Scholtz posted:

Who do you guys think they're gonna cast as Imu?

Chris Pratt

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Charles Martinet

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Oda

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I'm in talks to play Katakuri. But to appeal to a western audience better instead of Mochi he's made of salt water taffy. His name has also been changed to Dogtooth.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Right now this show is Schrodinger's Anime Adaptation and I'm dreading finding out if it is alive or dead when we get to open the box at the end of the month. Every time I see something that makes me hopeful, I see their version of Arlong again and feel the hope draining from my body.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I'm in talks to play Katakuri. But to appeal to a western audience better instead of Mochi he's made of salt water taffy. His name has also been changed to Dogtooth.

Didn't one of the early movies have a Taffy Man as the villain? It was either that or straight filler episodes. Luffy beat him by throwing bags of flour on him so he solidified.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Gyges posted:

Didn't one of the early movies have a Taffy Man as the villain? It was either that or straight filler episodes. Luffy beat him by throwing bags of flour on him so he solidified.

The fourth movie's villain was Gasparde, who ate the Ame Ame no Mi, which let him turn into candy syrup. It was weird.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The fourth movie was one of the better pre-Film movies.

That said Gasparde was easily the weakest part, dude was just the anti-Crocodile (candyman who gets beaten up by flour as opposed to sandman who gets beaten up by water/blood). Dude was a former Marine, too, to contrast Croc being a Warlord.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
They also straight up reused at least the first Crocodile fight, right down to the exact moves being used

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Amante posted:

It has one of the highest per-episode budgets of any TV show ever made. What more are you expecting?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I'm fine with some janky effects as long as it feels like One Piece.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
How can 18 million dollars an ep be janky?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

No Wave posted:

I have some bad news to tell you about Arlong.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No Wave posted:

"expensive" and "badly made" aren't mutually exclusive

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

One Piece makes a lot of insane demands in terms of costumes, sets and effects since it was never written with any consideration with how easy it would be to film. Even with an enormous budget it's still going to be a challenge to realise all the off the wall concepts.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just hope they don't mess up the iconic moments.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I did once very briefly by accident spoil for myself that (Marine Ford) Ace was going to die, but I had no idea that it was going to be wilful suicide :smith:

oh my God this entire story arc has been a beautiful clusterfucker

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mraagvpeine posted:

I just hope they don't mess up the iconic moments.

IIRC Oda is incredibly happy with how Nami's "Help me" scene turned out.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

IIRC Oda is incredibly happy with how Nami's "Help me" scene turned out.

As long as they nail the main story beats and iconic moments like this one, I think it'll turn out all right.

I really wanna see this, the Walk to Arlong Park, and Luffy smashing the pagoda down with Gum-Gum Axe and watching the whole thing collapse floor by floor.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

No Wave posted:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
What would you consider to be One Piece iconic moments? Luffy about to be executed in Roguetown, Zoro getting bodied by Mihawk, Chopper only dying when he's been forgotten, Usopp shooting down the World Government flag, Nami.............Robin screaming she wants to live, Frankie's crew getting bodied by Luffy Zoro Sanji Chopper, Brook soloing Big Mom. Only like one of these moments is going to be in season 1

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Gologle posted:

What would you consider to be One Piece iconic moments? Luffy about to be executed in Roguetown, Zoro getting bodied by Mihawk, Chopper only dying when he's been forgotten, Usopp shooting down the World Government flag, Nami.............Robin screaming she wants to live, Frankie's crew getting bodied by Luffy Zoro Sanji Chopper, Brook soloing Big Mom. Only like one of these moments is going to be in season 1
Kuina falling down the stairs

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

You missed off "Luffy... help me" and the walk to Arlong Park, which has been the defining "oh poo poo I get why this manga is good now" moment of One Piece since like the year 2000

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The live action Arlong in the poster was nagging me for a while because it looked so familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it... and now I realized what it reminded me of: Ivan Ooze, the villain from the Power Rangers movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I don't know if it's iconic, but Bellemere telling Nami and Nojiko she loves them is one of the scenes I need the live action to nail.