Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
What's so bad about Betterhelp? Asking seriously, because I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

enigmahfc posted:

In addition to employing a load of bad, unqualified therapists, it also sells your private medical data to the likes of Facebook.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

enigmahfc posted:

I've never used them myself but I remember hearing a horror story a while back about a gay person using them and having their therapist tell them their problems were occurring because they were gay.

Glad WHM has dropped them.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

In addition to employing a load of bad, unqualified therapists, it also sells your private medical data to the likes of Facebook.

I had heard the first part but holy poo poo that second part. gently caress that and gently caress them

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I used them during the pandemic when my normal therapist was having trouble working out a remote solution, and generally found their therapists to be terrible at their jobs. And then I found out the other stuff. Yeah, they're bad, and I always cringe when I hear podcasts advertise for them.

Therapy is good. Betterhelp is not.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
I've never figured out what a podcast network is supposed to do, from a listener point of view. Was I supposed to develop some sort of brand loyalty to Headgum?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
In theory, a good podcast network handles admin tasks: the heavy lifting on advertising (both on your shows and for your shows), cross-promotion between shows if you've got similar concepts or audiences to try and grow both sides of the equation, if you're not into the backend parts of things like website maintenance or expanding onto new platforms, they might have that covered for you so you just have to make shows and release them.

In practice, once a podcast network gets over a certain size it's probably just podcast landlord poo poo, and if your name stands out already you're unlikely to need that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mola Yam posted:

I've never figured out what a podcast network is supposed to do, from a listener point of view. Was I supposed to develop some sort of brand loyalty to Headgum?

It's supposed to handle your ads and cross promotions. As a listener you shouldn't really notice any difference, other than maybe wondering why certain podcasts you listen to have guest hosts from each other, but not other podcasts that you listen to.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mola Yam posted:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Or the network gets sold to Spotify or iheart media or some other blood sucking entity. Looking at you Gimlet.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gyges posted:

It's supposed to handle your ads and cross promotions. As a listener you shouldn't really notice any difference, other than maybe wondering why certain podcasts you listen to have guest hosts from each other, but not other podcasts that you listen to.

It just reminds me of WebRings back in the day. Like, I know there’s way more to it than that. But that’s the front end experience.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gyges posted:

If you listen to 3-4 podcasts in the same network you get to hear the same ad reads 12 times a week!

I'll take minifridge mattresses over AG1 ads any day.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

We've strayed too far from the light of extreme restraints

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Arson Daily posted:

We've strayed too far from the light of extreme restraints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKRzq4Jmp74

I feel obligated to post this any time Extreme Restraint gets mentioned

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

there's only one ring on the web I care about, friend

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Promo code HATE

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Awesome news that there will be no more betterhelp or diet smoke ads. Also, new Once in a Lifetime dropped!

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Two WHM news items:

Mail Bag episode tomorrow night on YouTube, with a "very big Patreon-related announcement":

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1696183359926403389

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?EcjxRB2rG0Y

And WHM Patreon subscribers at the $5 level and above on Patreon keep on winning as the guys revealed today a new and easier to use RSS feed for the archived episodes (everything from the WHM Prime feed through episode 109, except for the pilot which is lost to history):

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1696258856312082770

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Oh PLEASE let it be ad less main feed shows

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Winner of this year's VHS Trailer Game: Eric!

Next week's episode will be a redo of Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rageaholic posted:

Winner of this year's VHS Trailer Game: Eric!

rigged

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Arson Daily posted:

Especially since this new host seems, uh... worse with those. By a mile.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone know where episodes on the main feed are hosted now? I checked Omny but it only had last week's WarGames.

Thanks! Heeeeyyy, alright MP3 tags are pre-numbered. Saves me from doing the legwork when cataloguing.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 29, 2023

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Audioboom seems to be the new host.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I didn't realize they had a new host for the podcasts. That would explain why for the first time ever I'm getting local ads on the show.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
i guess them switching hosts explains why my podcast app decided to start downloading EVERY loving EPISODE of WHM when i opened it yesterday.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm catching up on old Nexus episodes and one thing I'm very glad they don't seem to do as much anymore is the bit where they say the names of a bunch of 90s-00s songs in the voice of Bones or sing multiple versus of a song as Bones. 90's guy Bones is a funny character and it usually starts out with Eric doing a legitimately funny one liner ("This reminds me of a little song called... Bawidaba..") that would be funny on its own but they all have to start riffing off that by doing their own Bones impressions and saying names of other 90s songs or god forbid Andrew speaks through the entire first part of Buddy Holly as Bones and there's just no joke! They're just saying names of songs!

Also I listened to the live Wargames episode and that was surprisingly good for a live recording. I usually just skip them because the dynamic of them playing to a crowd is very different but this was solid with good audio quality and lots of funny bits.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

explosivo posted:

I'm catching up on old Nexus episodes and one thing I'm very glad they don't seem to do as much anymore is the bit where they say the names of a bunch of 90s-00s songs in the voice of Bones or sing multiple versus of a song as Bones. 90's guy Bones is a funny character and it usually starts out with Eric doing a legitimately funny one liner ("This reminds me of a little song called... Bawidaba..") that would be funny on its own but they all have to start riffing off that by doing their own Bones impressions and saying names of other 90s songs or god forbid Andrew speaks through the entire first part of Buddy Holly as Bones and there's just no joke! They're just saying names of songs!

I actually miss that, but I can definitely see how it could be annoying.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Bones getting into Nu Metal is how the seed was planted for KornKast so it’s a great bit in my book.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

dorium posted:

Bones getting into Nu Metal is how the seed was planted for KornKast so it’s a great bit in my book.

thrawn527 posted:

I actually miss that, but I can definitely see how it could be annoying.

It's a good bit I just think sometimes they riff on it for a titch too long. Apparently I'm the only one who thinks that though :v:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

claw game handjob posted:

Audioboom seems to be the new host.

Thanks for this. I have this one bookmarked and is the one I use

https://www.whmpodcast.com/whmprime

Most (but not all) of the episode links are dead though. The Patreon still seems the same

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arson Daily posted:

i suggest you listen to the mailbag this week

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Arson Daily posted:

It is. Starting next week, simultaneous release of ad-free episodes on Patreon, at the $8 level and up.

All previous episodes aren't being released ad-free

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Finally!

I wonder if it was gum head or audio gum or whatever that wouldn’t let them.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

It's funny, because the actual release of ad free eps going forward? Eh, it's good but I'm used to ads.

Now . . . the fact that I'll drop from two separate podcast entries in my app to one and I no longer have to delete a bunch of Patreon clips I have access to in the other feed just to fulfil my OCD? Now THAT is priceless.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Ads have never bothered me because I just skip them when I can and just tune them out when I can’t, and they were like 2 minutes, but I’m glad the people who hate them have an option now.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

The Gillman posted:

Give me ad free episodes on the Patreon you cowards!

Thank you, you cowards! Especially for putting at a tier that already exists and not creating a new more expensive one

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

enigmahfc posted:

Ads have never bothered me because I just skip them when I can and just tune them out when I can’t, and they were like 2 minutes, but I’m glad the people who hate them have an option now.

They didn't used to bother me, but these new local ads feel much more obtrusive (at least my local ads are), so I'm very happy about the ad free patreon episodes.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 30, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Hockles posted:

It is. Starting next week, simultaneous release of ad-free episodes on Patreon, at the $8 level and up.

All previous episodes aren't being released ad-free

Yessss Walsh tier represent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

thrawn527 posted:

They didn't used to bother me, but these new local ads feel much more obtrusive (at least my local ads are), so I'm very happy about the ad free patreon episodes.

My only real issue with the ads is when they start in the middle of a loving sentence. All it takes is a couple minutes extra effort to find a place where there's some sort of conversational lull.