Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
if you liked this infrastructure investment remember to rate or comment on itunes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

why would anyone who has seen the EU want to establish a currency union

yes thats what my post said

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
its a good post

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I agree it was a good post OP

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It was a perfect post.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Orange Devil posted:

They literally had a moment like last year or earlier this year where they all compared notes about the last decade and collectively realized the US was loving with all of them and blaming it on the others.

come on dude, the uae and saudia arabia are literal extensions of US neocolonialism

they literally woudl nto exist if it wasnt for the US lol

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The BRICS currency that has been floated is not a currency union, nobody has suggested that. It is for settling international trade accounts. Like bancor was going to be.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Its pretty amazing that all relevant ME join at the same time.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

come on dude, the uae and saudia arabia are literal extensions of US neocolonialism

they literally woudl nto exist if it wasnt for the US lol

I don't think America controls the Saudi government. I also don't think your second sentence is true, KSA existed for almost a decade before Aramco. Even if true though, it doesn't support your first sentence, India probably wouldn't exist as a unified polity without the British but it's hardly subservient.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

In Training posted:

Has there been a lasting draw down in Yemen? I know there were talks when Iran & ksa first met but I never really saw much follow up reporting.

I know the cease fire has expired, and not sure if there's been serious negotiations about ending the war and saudi arabia leaving.

Seems like still no real lasting peace but the war is at least on pause. A lot of talk about the Ansar Allah / Houthis being independent from Iran, haven't seen anything about how they'd continue to arm themselves without Iran's backing. As of a week or two ago the website of the Combined Maritime Force (led by the USA) said they're still running an economic blockade of the Ansar Allah but it's janky wordpress poo poo so idk how often it gets updated. Famine is still ongoing mostly because of this and a devaluation of the currency, particularly in KSA aligned govt controlled areas.
There's a number of factions within the country and they need to all come to an agreement.
Mostly cribbed from these two pages.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/7/7/analysis-peace-yemen-remains-distant
https://www.cfr.org/global-conflict-tracker/conflict/war-yemen

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://new.thecradle.co/articles/welcome-to-the-brics-11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7WIWGWlKOE

some talk about de-dollarisation in there. tl;dr is that it's too soon, especially because the BRICS bank having loans in USD means they have to be careful about pissing off the US too much. also separate from BRICS is new membership in the NDB

quote:

In parallel, the BRICS' New Development Bank (NDB) has welcomed three new members: Bangladesh, Egypt, and UAE. Yet their road to prominence from now will be even steeper.

sounds like a lot of the new BRICS countries are an attempt to reduce the power of the petro-dollar. also the figures he cites for oil is:

quote:

BRICS 11 instantly becomes an oil and gas powerhouse, controlling 39 percent of global oil exports, 45.9 percent of proven reserves and 47.6 percent of all oil produced globally, according to InfoTEK.

Translation: The collective west may soon lose its power to control global oil prices, and subsequently, the means to enforce its unilateral sanctions.

also just as an aside, it's always incredibly striking to see china's economic power in graph form

also looking at debt in relation to G7 countries' GDP is really something (esp japan):

in the podcast, he mentions that china wanted 10 new members and india wanted 3. i wonder which countries are the ones that india didn't want and was it about those members in particular or was it just the number diluting india's voting power too much. there was some talk about algeria and indonesia and it is unusual that no asian country entered so i bet that's two of them.

crepeface has issued a correction as of 06:58 on Aug 26, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I check the Opec+ list, they have 5 of the top 6 Opec+ oil producers in Brisc already, only Kuwait is missing.

It's pilossible they want to get all the opec+ countries in first, and announce some kind of new replacement mechanism to petrodollar in the next summit. They could just use petroyuan but I don't think Beijing want to use yuan to directly replace dollar.

Supposedly Indonesia was not in this year because they applied too late.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
michael hudson and pepe escobar on BRICS/de-dollarisation. lots of detail here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?g32m8XaSnEE

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

buh bye USD... I HARDLY KNEW YEE...

Weka
May 5, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't think Beijing want to use yuan to directly replace dollar.

Seems like it's going to happen to an extent just because everyone want's them anyway. I wonder to what extent they're comfortable with that. Might be one of the things driving what's seemed a pretty quick rush into talking about a BRICS currency, trying to avoid too much use of yuan.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Zoltan Pozsar had thought that commodities will just replace the dollar. He had a number of interesting thoughts and ideas about all of this last year.
Zoltan

FT from 6 days ago. malding about brics. quotes from many economy people who talk about how BRICS is changing the game, but the article author cries and says they are wrong.

quote:

Zoltan Pozsar, head of the macroeconomic advisory firm, Ex Uno Plures, believes that system is at a tipping point. “The global east and south are renegotiating the world order,” he says, highlighting the drive in the global south for de-dollarisation and a rethink of the IMF and World Bank. “The west dreamt of the Brics as a lapdog, that they would accumulate dollars and recycle them into Treasuries, but instead of that they are renegotiating how things are done.”

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 12:32 on Aug 29, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

Interesting short read, thanks Hoots. Zoltan is a fantastic name for a professional prognosticator

"Bretton Woods II was built on inside money, and its foundations crumbled a week ago when the G7 seized Russia’s FX reserve."

That's a pretty good pick a week after.

Full piece is here.
https://static.bullionstar.com/blogs/uploads/2022/03/Bretton-Woods-III-Zoltan-Pozsar.pdf

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Weka posted:

Interesting short read, thanks Hoots. Zoltan is a fantastic name for a professional prognosticator

"Bretton Woods II was built on inside money, and its foundations crumbled a week ago when the G7 seized Russia’s FX reserve."

That's a pretty good pick a week after.

Full piece is here.
https://static.bullionstar.com/blogs/uploads/2022/03/Bretton-Woods-III-Zoltan-Pozsar.pdf

I think he did 2 other notes in a similar vein around the same time period.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Zoltan Pozsar had thought that commodities will just replace the dollar. He had a number of interesting thoughts and ideas about all of this last year.
Zoltan

FT from 6 days ago. malding about brics. quotes from many economy people who talk about how BRICS is changing the game, but the article author cries and says they are wrong.

any way to bypass the paywall? the chrome bypass-paywalls extension isn't working for me on FT

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mr Hootington posted:

Zoltan

quote:

China, for example, has no desire to see India or Brazil join them on the top table at the UN Security Council — nor is it in favour of a multipolar world, whatever it may say in public.

i love how they can just say this poo poo without needing to even give a reason why

quote:

“At a meeting of the China International Development Co-operation Agency there was a lot of discussion about the different kinds of collaboration going on. They talked about south south, north south and triangular co-operation. What is clear is there is a multiplicity of discussions on development and investment issues and these conversations no longer all flow through a western lens.”

lol so malding

Doktor Avalanche posted:

any way to bypass the paywall? the chrome bypass-paywalls extension isn't working for me on FT

works for me. skill issue.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

use archive.is

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

crepeface posted:

i love how they can just say this poo poo without needing to even give a reason why

And that quote doesn't hold up to even the slightest scrutiny. China doesn't need to worry too much about who's on the (permanent) Security Council because how could any combination be worse than the majority being the US, the UK, and France? Also China isn't invading other countries.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Doktor Avalanche posted:

hah, all i had to do was hit f5, apparently it passes through on reload!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

crepeface posted:

Everybody always assumes everybody else is exactly like them.

This is why so many of the wildest accusations are projection.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

Zoltan

can someone explain why these people are so upset? from what i can tell brics despite being a huge trade bloc hasnt really done anything major, outside of country to country trades

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

can someone explain why these people are so upset? from what i can tell brics despite being a huge trade bloc hasnt really done anything major, outside of country to country trades

they've gone mad. china mad

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The idea of so many countries being able to trade between each other without relying on the dollar is terrifying to the hegemony.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lol at anglos losing 1% control and going mad

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

country to country trades

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

yes you send them things and they send things back

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

turmp thread retards ftw

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ClassActionFursuit posted:

Also China isn't invading other countries.

*incoherent screaming about south china seas and debt trap diplomacy in africa*

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

crepeface posted:

they want a new chinese exclusion act so bad

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnimeIsTrash posted:

get it now!?!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

crepeface posted:

get it now!?!

lmfao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

crepeface posted:

get it now!?!

lol.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
a thing often reminds me of another, unrelated thing.

Weka
May 5, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

they are scared because America no longer raping the world means they, or more likely their children or grandchildren, may have to get a real job.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

crepeface posted:

get it now!?!

Jesus Christ

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

crepeface posted:

get it now!?!

oh my god lmfao

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

crepeface posted:

I had somebody go off about Tibet just last week lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

get it now!?!

holy poo poo lmfao