Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

pradmer posted:

Underground Airlines by Ben H Winters - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017RQP41O/

Does anyone have an opinion on this one? I liked the Last Policeman series. This could be really interesting or have serious problems.

Thanks for these posts! I've bought a ton of stuff on sale over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoboThePenguin
Mar 1, 2005
My ping is one.

Kestral posted:

My mind boggles at the concept of an audiobook for TSCTW :psyduck: The sheer density of tricks it plays with the fonts and italics, the multiple perspectives within the same sentence, I don’t know how you could possibly do it in audio. Time to check this out. You should definitely have a look at the text, it’s wild.

Oh my gosh, thank you for saying this. I had tried to listen to the audiobook after hearing such rave reviews, and I just could not continue after a certain point. Maybe it was the format, and not the people who are wrong.

I’ll give it another shot with my eyeballs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Remulak posted:

Holy poo poo.

Cormorant fishing: the fisherman ties a string around the bird's throat, so it can eat the little fish and deliver the big fish to its owner.

How did I miss this metaphor after 3 books?

Lmao gently caress

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

speaking of books that play typographical games, prestige sf movie adaptation alert!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAh-xgggcfI

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
can't believe they're making a live-action Etrian Odyssey movie

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

can't believe they're making a live-action Etrian Odyssey movie

even on the big screen, FOE

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Who's a modern successor to Robin Hobb? I've got a cold and want to listen to a meaty fantasy series that is kinda low magic, character driven, not super high stakes, not needlessly edgy.

I've also enjoyed KJ Parker, Scott Lynch, Miles Cameron, Ken Liu, Tad Williams, Michael Swanwick, Ursula Le Guin, Christopher Buehlmann. I'm not as into stuff with game-like elaborate magic systems like Sanderson.

RJ Barker
The tide child trilogy and his latest Gods of Wyrdwood are pretty close to Hobb.
Including torturing of his protagonists.

Graydon Saunders wrote one decent book in the vein of Black Company and then the next books were completely tedious, easily explaining why Graydon is self published. I have since then realized how the goon bandwagon works with respect to book recommendations. Graydon, as you apparently read this thread, I want my money back for book two and three.

Examples from the past in this thread:
The traitor baru cormorant: decent read, but clear authors first book. Sorry Batuta, but at this point the goon census is stopping me from buying your books.
Gideon: decent read but left me completely uninterested in further books.
The spear cuts through the water: Decent, but those who found story elements shocking must have read only feel good novels.
Three body problem: initial good reception in Thor thread which now have turned bad since the author is a misogynistic tankie.

This thread have 50/50 hit rate in book recommendations for me which actually is a decent ratio.

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 25, 2023

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

Doobie Keebler posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on this one? I liked the Last Policeman series. This could be really interesting or have serious problems.

Thanks for these posts! I've bought a ton of stuff on sale over the years.

Your username brings back good memories. Here's some old thread discussion:

"Just finished Underground Airlines by Ben H. Winters (he also wrote the Last Policeman trilogy which is regularly on the discounted posts here and which I highly, highly recommend) and it was pretty good. Alternate history in which slavery has survived to the present day in a hardcore handful of Southern states which he makes much more plausible than it sounds, main character is an escaped slave forced into working for the US Marshals hunting down other escaped slaves, who stumbles upon a case where there's more than meets the eye and his bosses are particularly concerned about it, etc. Good readable thriller which takes a very unlikely premise and makes it seem real."

"Admittedly, I only half-remember Underground Airlines at this point. I think I read it during 2020 (thanks COVID depression brain I guess), but I felt like the final act of the book did not hang together well at all, but iirc it was for issues with me suspending disbelief, not for the author's prose. Interesting, if horrifying, premise though."

"underground airlines and golden state didn't work for me - the starting premises should have made for drastically different worlds"

"It’s...a little problematic, and he’s not quite good enough to pull it off, imo. Interesting idea, tho "

The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PI181JI/

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

pradmer posted:

"Admittedly, I only half-remember Underground Airlines at this point. I think I read it during 2020 (thanks COVID depression brain I guess), but I felt like the final act of the book did not hang together well at all, but iirc it was for issues with me suspending disbelief, not for the author's prose. Interesting, if horrifying, premise though."

I second this opinion of it. The premise was entirely too horrifyingly plausible and while the meat of the book was fascinating and the prose was good, the ending didn't quite come together. I didn't find the wrap up satisfying. To me it read like they wanted sequels, but it could be that the author didn't know what to do when they got there. I wouldn't say don't read it because the premise and prose are good enough. But I don't gush over it.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Also the "impossible to repeal" constitutional ammendments that enshrined slavery couldn't work that way given how the constitution works.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh sweet, thank you!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi friends, looking for fantasy recommendations!

Some recently read books we enjoyed:
  • Fourth Wing - loved
  • The Blacktongue Thief
  • Lies of Locke Lamora
  • King Killer Trilogy
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue - loved

Especially appreciate world building and fantasy novels that stick to the rules they’ve established for the fantasy world.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Reading The Anubis Gates and enjoying it so far because, well, Tim Powers, but it's got me thinking: are there any good - which is to say, actually well-written and not just airport novel tier - books about a time-traveler going to the past and successfully exploiting their knowledge? I'm struggling to think of an example, there's usually a justification of "the timestream prevents you from making changes / you can't do anything to alter events because then you would never have been born" etc.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Book of the new sun

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Ornery and Hornery posted:

• Fourth Wing - loved
Especially appreciate world building and fantasy novels that stick to the rules they’ve established for the fantasy world.

I have not read Fourth Wing but depending on why you loved it, you should probably either check out the OG dragonrider series (Anne McCaffrey's Pern, which I have read, and has no smut and great world building) or dive into Sarah J. Maas's entire back catalogue (which I have not, and is apparently mostly smut), or maybe Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments as a middle ground (I have read it and it has no smut but plenty of angsty romance subplot that I could only tolerate because the main fantasy plot was way more interesting).

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

• Fourth Wing - loved
  • The Blacktongue Thief
  • Lies of Locke Lamora
  • King Killer Trilogy

Haha been a while since I’ve seen someone mention Kingkiller in a positive light. Hard to call it a trilogy when the third will never be released though.

I can recommend Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell as the best book about wizards ever written. And anything by Joe Abercrombie as having a similar humor to The Blacktongue Thief. And if you like or have already read Abercrombie, check out KJ Parker’s later books.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

• Fourth Wing - loved
  • The Blacktongue Thief
  • Lies of Locke Lamora
  • King Killer Trilogy

You could check out the Chalion series by Lois McMaster Bujold. Close to universally liked here and also has good world and characters.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Leng posted:

I have not read Fourth Wing but depending on why you loved it, you should probably either check out the OG dragonrider series (Anne McCaffrey's Pern, which I have read, and has no smut and great world building) or dive into Sarah J. Maas's entire back catalogue (which I have not, and is apparently mostly smut), or maybe Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments as a middle ground (I have read it and it has no smut but plenty of angsty romance subplot that I could only tolerate because the main fantasy plot was way more interesting).
Pern has no smut? I mean, some of them don't, but it's still there iirc. It's been a long while since I've read anything but the Menolly duology though, which has none. Maybe it's less than I remember in some of the other books.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I think the (weird, dubiously consensual) sex is mostly off-page.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Kestral posted:

Reading The Anubis Gates and enjoying it so far because, well, Tim Powers, but it's got me thinking: are there any good - which is to say, actually well-written and not just airport novel tier - books about a time-traveler going to the past and successfully exploiting their knowledge? I'm struggling to think of an example, there's usually a justification of "the timestream prevents you from making changes / you can't do anything to alter events because then you would never have been born" etc.

Leo Frankowski's Cross-Time Engineer series (but don't read them).
L. Sprague de Camp's Lest Darkness Fall
Arguably, Turtledove's The Guns of the South

HopperUK posted:

Never go to DubCon.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

• Fourth Wing - loved
  • The Blacktongue Thief
  • Lies of Locke Lamora
  • King Killer Trilogy

I think you would probably quite like R F Kuang's Babel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hobnob posted:

Also the "impossible to repeal" constitutional ammendments that enshrined slavery couldn't work that way given how the constitution works.

If America ever reaches the point where slavery is enshrined as a constitutional amendment then I'm sure that whoever does it will also change how the Constitution works.

Heck, even now it's not easy to strike an existing amendment. It takes an amendment to remove an amendment, no? So for it to happen a law would have to simultaneously be so popular that a supermajority of states approve and so unpopular that a supermajority disapprove.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jedit posted:

If America ever reaches the point where slavery is enshrined as a constitutional amendment then I'm sure that whoever does it will also change how the Constitution works.

Heck, even now it's not easy to strike an existing amendment. It takes an amendment to remove an amendment, no? So for it to happen a law would have to simultaneously be so popular that a supermajority of states approve and so unpopular that a supermajority disapprove.

Like, I have no idea about this book that's being discussed, but slavery absolutely was enshrined in the US constitution, and enough of the country is being drip-fed revisionist textbooks about how slavery really wasn't that bad that it doesn't seem so implausible.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Ravenfood posted:

Pern has no smut? I mean, some of them don't, but it's still there iirc. It's been a long while since I've read anything but the Menolly duology though, which has none. Maybe it's less than I remember in some of the other books.

HopperUK posted:

What is on page is—as far as I can tell from the out of context snippets I've seen posted of Fourth Wing—nothing that anyone who loves Fourth Wing would blink an eye at.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

pradmer posted:

You could check out the Chalion series by Lois McMaster Bujold. Close to universally liked here and also has good world and characters.

2nded

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Some recently read books we enjoyed:[list]
[*]Lies of Locke Lamora

Steven Brust's Taltos series definitely hits that criteria. It follows a human mobster/assassin in an Elven empire for about six books until the internal contradictions pile up enough send the main character on the lam. After that are a mix of contemporary and flashback books leading up to a grand finale that will probably be out in book #17 in 2025/26.
It's got the heist vibes from Locke Lamora, the worldbuilding is very consistent - allowing for information that is being withheld from both the main character and the reader. There's a strong through plot. There's also a set of spinoff novels that are Thre Musketeers etc. homages.
If you like this kind of thing, there will be more than 20 books, some short, some fat, by the time Brust is done.
[*]
[*]The first three books are colected here for cheap,
[*]https://www.amazon.com/Book-Jhereg-Steven-Brust-ebook/dp/B018WXBHRG/
[*]
[*]The Bujold Five Gods books are way better, but less of an exact match. I read both, be like mllaneza.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Do I recall Steven Brust turning out to be an rear end in a top hat of some kind? Annoying.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Do I recall Steven Brust turning out to be an rear end in a top hat of some kind? Annoying.

Yeah, sex pest

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Like, I have no idea about this book that's being discussed, but slavery absolutely was enshrined in the US constitution, and enough of the country is being drip-fed revisionist textbooks about how slavery really wasn't that bad that it doesn't seem so implausible.

Also, technically slavery is still allowed under the constitution, as punishment for people who have been convicted of a crime. It's right there in first sentence of the 13th Amendment.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

fez_machine posted:

Yeah, sex pest

Bah! Gross.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Jedit posted:

I don't really care enough about the book to go back and check, but from what I remember in it Lincoln gets assassinated early and the civil war never happens. Instead there's a compromise where the N'th amendment says "States get to keep slavery legal and feds can't interfere" and an N+1'th amendment which says "The N'th amendment can never be repealed".

This is presented as literally impossible to ever undo. Not politically impossible, the way, say, passing an amendment would be right now, but something that can never be changed. There's only, like, 4 states that still implement slavery, so more than enough free states to pass an amendment, but the idea of repealing the N+1'th amendment first apparently never occurred to them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Guns of the South is more plausible.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Baudolino by Umberto Eco - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PDMMYQ/

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Hobnob posted:

Yeah but I'm thinking that the kind of people who think slavery is great aren't going to be concerned with the sanctity of something that could prevent them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hobnob posted:

I don't really care enough about the book to go back and check, but from what I remember in it Lincoln gets assassinated early and the civil war never happens. Instead there's a compromise where the N'th amendment says "States get to keep slavery legal and feds can't interfere" and an N+1'th amendment which says "The N'th amendment can never be repealed".

This is presented as literally impossible to ever undo. Not politically impossible, the way, say, passing an amendment would be right now, but something that can never be changed. There's only, like, 4 states that still implement slavery, so more than enough free states to pass an amendment, but the idea of repealing the N+1'th amendment first apparently never occurred to them.

Now that's incredibly stupid writing in any period later than 1932.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hobnob posted:

I think there is disagreement among constitutional law scholars on whether there are parts of the constitution that amendments can't change, but if not, theoretically you could amend the constitution to change or limit the amendment process

Of course all this stuff is nonsense that people make up as they go along anyway so the only thing that matters is whether everyone agrees that you can or can't do something when you're actually trying to do it

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pradmer posted:

Baudolino by Umberto Eco - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PDMMYQ/

Well speaking of Kingkiller, this shares aspects of it as a man telling a story of his life that goes crazy places. The difference is it’s completely told on one book and Eco is a great author.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

fez_machine posted:

Yeah, sex pest

God drat it .

I was going to say that the Jhereg books are, if not tragic, somewhat melancholy.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Read 'The Last Astronaut' by David Wellington. Best....most simple way I could describe it would be....a Cronenberg[i]ish[/ish] 'Rendezvous With Rama' from hell. First half had me hooked with the mystery surrounding "the object". The second half turned into quite a slog....with Wellington failing to really land the imagery aspect of the alien landscape....or the aliens themselves. Sorry.....but repeatedly saying the "hands" or the "worms with teeth" just felt lazy.....and didn't help conjure much of an image.

6/10......because while the payoff was a bit of a letdown......the first half had me compelled. And it was a short book.....so I don't feel like a wasted a whole lot of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Indie August sale this weekend, ~300 indie fantasy, scifi, and horror books - https://promotions.narratess.com/

If anyone has recs/is part of the sale feel free to chime in