Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

VanillaGorilla posted:

If this doesn’t end with Vivec becoming the first officer on my ship I have no idea what we’re doing here.

I'm hoping for an AI-voiced Dagoth Ur companion mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-5g8DFoPJ8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

VanillaGorilla posted:

If this doesn’t end with Vivec Dagoth Ur becoming the first officer on my ship I have no idea what we’re doing here.

Now THAT'S the mod we need.

EDIT: Ah, I see the same thought just occurred to someone else.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

big mean giraffe posted:

I couldn't agree more, I want my RPG choices to matter and influence how my character plays and what I can do as that character, I don't want to become a superhero god good at everything.

But this option is still available to you. You don't HAVE to join every contradictory guild and become the leader. If you want to roleplay as a goody two shoes paladin don't join the thieves guild. Some player want to do everything in every run through and become God at everything. If you don't want to, then don't.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

big mean giraffe posted:

I couldn't agree more, I want my RPG choices to matter and influence how my character plays and what I can do as that character, I don't want to become a superhero god good at everything.

having a bit of self discipline helps.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

mods that disable things are also relatively easy so if you don't want to become space archmage and space fighters guild boss etc then I'm sure there'll be a mod for that. Personally I like having the option if I want to take it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

If this game ends up like outer worlds I don’t know if I’ll be able to take it anymore, that was so awful and I was exactly as stoked for it as I am for this but I preordered it anyway

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

If this game ends up like outer worlds I don’t know if I’ll be able to take it anymore, that was so awful and I was exactly as stoked for it as I am for this but I preordered it anyway

I wouldn't be surprised if it's quite similar to Outer Worlds + some orbital stuff & dogfights.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
So we can fly the ship once we are on the planet and the terrain will generate around it, or you have to call your ship to you, it lands, and then it generates the new areas around you?

It will be weird if you can't just fly around the planet. I think NMS does a good job of this where it prevents you from landing on terrain that your ship cannot land on properly.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's Bethesda, so narrative/character writing that's as tepid or moreso than the Obsidian B Team on Outer Worlds seems likely. Blandly inoffensive seems like the best case scenario.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Hamelekim posted:

So we can fly the ship once we are on the planet and the terrain will generate around it, or you have to call your ship to you, it lands, and then it generates the new areas around you?

It will be weird if you can't just fly around the planet. I think NMS does a good job of this where it prevents you from landing on terrain that your ship cannot land on properly.

No flying on planet. Landing and take off is a cutscene.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Frog Act posted:

I really liked Outer Worlds but it did feel very limiting, which is not what I want at all for Starfield.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 26, 2023

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

starfield can be whatever you want it to be

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's Bethesda, so narrative/character writing that's as tepid or moreso than the Obsidian B Team on Outer Worlds seems likely. Blandly inoffensive seems like the best case scenario.

bethesda doesn't really do the lol xd wackiness of obsidian.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Some of the other early-early non-NDA access players have purportedly crowdsourced the release version of the character backgrounds/archetypes, and the writing in said descriptions is rather amateurish high fantasy as opposed to what you might expect from a campy sci-fi romp. Like, most of these class guidelines would make good voice lines for Jeff Baker (Dagoth Ur) to stage monologue at a local theater club... and I'm not even gonna go into the bizarre choice of skills shoehorned to accompany these descriptions. Here's some of the more loopy ones:

Diplomat
The wars are over. Peace now reigns in the Settled Systems. But only because there are those quietly fighting to keep it. Because of you, agreements were signed, words were heeded... lives were spared. Skills: Persuasion, Commerce, Wellness

Serpent's Embrace
You grew up worshiping the Great Serpent. Grav jumping provides a temporary boost to health and oxygen, but health and oxygen are lowered if you don't continue jumping regularly - like an addiction. (Incompatible with Raised Enlightened and Raised Universal)

Long Hauler
Let those other hothead pilots obsess over laser weapons and maneuverability. You're a space trucker, pure and simple. Pack the cargo, get it there fast, get paid, repeat. Life is simple and good. Skills: Weight Lifting, Piloting, Ballistic Weapon Systems

Pilgrim
Wayfarer, wanderer, seeker...transient. You've been called many things during your travels, and learned something those others could never understand - the journey IS the destination. Skills: Scavenging, Surveying, Gastronomy

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/15vvhpc/comment/jxrgsjs/

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

jesus christ

can this game just come out please people are dying

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Chillmatic posted:

A traditional BGS game—except the entire exploration loop is broken up into literally a thousand pieces. No more seeing a cool landmark in the distance, but rather possibly, hopefully stumbling across one that procedurally spawns next to your ship when you land on Rockscape Zeta #464. Along the way there’s another raider outpost plopped into ill-fitting terrain. How long will you stay on #464 before your brain tells you that the next planet MUST have something worth seeing? Fast travel back to ship, open menu, fast travel to Rockscape Sigma 12 and an abandoned research facility you could swear you saw two days ago.

If each of these pieces are Skyrim-sized, is that such a bad thing?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Listen goddamit if this game isn’t bad then I’d be forced to enjoy something. And if for one single solitary second my shriveled heart felt something other than disdain and disappointment in the world around me I’d loving stroke out

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Nyan Bread posted:

Some of the other early-early non-NDA access players have purportedly crowdsourced the release version of the character backgrounds/archetypes, and the writing in said descriptions is rather amateurish high fantasy as opposed to what you might expect from a campy sci-fi romp. Like, most of these class guidelines would make good voice lines for Jeff Baker (Dagoth Ur) to stage monologue at a local theater club... and I'm not even gonna go into the bizarre choice of skills shoehorned to accompany these descriptions. Here's some of the more loopy ones:

Diplomat
The wars are over. Peace now reigns in the Settled Systems. But only because there are those quietly fighting to keep it. Because of you, agreements were signed, words were heeded... lives were spared. Skills: Persuasion, Commerce, Wellness

Serpent's Embrace
You grew up worshiping the Great Serpent. Grav jumping provides a temporary boost to health and oxygen, but health and oxygen are lowered if you don't continue jumping regularly - like an addiction. (Incompatible with Raised Enlightened and Raised Universal)

Long Hauler
Let those other hothead pilots obsess over laser weapons and maneuverability. You're a space trucker, pure and simple. Pack the cargo, get it there fast, get paid, repeat. Life is simple and good. Skills: Weight Lifting, Piloting, Ballistic Weapon Systems

Pilgrim
Wayfarer, wanderer, seeker...transient. You've been called many things during your travels, and learned something those others could never understand - the journey IS the destination. Skills: Scavenging, Surveying, Gastronomy

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/15vvhpc/comment/jxrgsjs/

Those descriptions are a little cheesy, but I think they're not that bad. Starfield is itself a cheesy homage to old sci-fi, so they kind of fit.

Anyway, beware of spoilers at that link, people, though there is some interesting information. In particular, someone datamined the names of a bunch of special abilities.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i'm stroking out over this game right now

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

God I can't wait to fill my smuggling freighter with hidden compartments, inadvertently giving it the structural integrity of popped corn. I am killed instantly

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VanillaGorilla posted:

If this doesn’t end with Vivec becoming the first officer on my ship I have no idea what we’re doing here.

Vivec just surfing through the galaxy on top of baar-dau

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nyan Bread posted:

Some of the other early-early non-NDA access players have purportedly crowdsourced the release version of the character backgrounds/archetypes, and the writing in said descriptions is rather...

lol, hire some writers already Bethesda! Reminds me of the classic Brian David Gilbert "I read every skyrim book" video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVdTZhmsGsU
It's not like they don't have any good writers employed, but yeah charitably i'd say it's at least straight forward and gets the job done so like it's not the worst. It is sort of writing, that in a uni into to creative writing class the professor would definitely say, maybe you should have another go at this.

On the positives I do like they have the File not found (simple cheap joke, but i laughed.) option for your background. Oh and not sure if it had been 100% confirmed yet but Xenobiologist mentions alien life has been found but no sentient life, which seemed pretty obvious from everything that they've said so far.

Earwicker posted:

in daggerfall if you ran all the way out into the procgen wastelands every once in a very long while you would encounter a coven of witches doing some weird poo poo, and i hope that makes a return in this game

This would 100% be the best out of bounds option. More games need witches covens doing weird poo poo.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 26, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Why are people hyper focused on the planets.... It's just padded out exploration. The majority of the game, and what will make or break the game will be in settlements. Just seems really odd that this is all people are talking about the past month when it's probably something I'll try a handful of times and then get bored with.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's important to remember that full development of this game only started in august of 2020, because of the pandemic. a majority of the areas will not have anything in it except for some prefabs, including the two big cities in the game which are both on the same planet.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

William Bear posted:

Starfield is itself a cheesy homage to old sci-fi,

Is it? It has kind of a grounded sci-fi aesthetic. Like they watched Interstellar and said "let's make everything look like this."

And you know: I'm fine with that. Not everything has to be a ripoff of vintage nostalgia.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Why are people hyper focused on the planets.... It's just padded out exploration. The majority of the game, and what will make or break the game will be in settlements. Just seems really odd that this is all people are talking about the past month when it's probably something I'll try a handful of times and then get bored with.

Because people think this is some sort of No Man's Sky + Elite Dangerous + Starcitizen + somehow doing everything those games did but better and avoiding all of the pitfalls.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

VanillaGorilla posted:

Listen goddamit if this game isn’t bad then I’d be forced to enjoy something. And if for one single solitary second my shriveled heart felt something other than disdain and disappointment in the world around me I’d loving stroke out

Listen, we had Baldur's Gate 3. We can't hope for too much lest our newfound optimism crush us

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Don't like DnD sorry.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Cavauro posted:

the two big cities in the game which are both on the same planet.

lol this is not even remotely true, they showed like five large cities in the Direct (New Atlantis, a mining city, the cowboy city, the cyberpunk city, and the snake god city) which were all in different star systems

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

webmeister posted:

lol this is not even remotely true, they showed like five large cities in the Direct (New Atlantis, a mining city, the cowboy city, the cyberpunk city, and the snake god city) which were all in different star systems

But what if it were true. Wouldn't that piss you off? Create the scenario that makes you most pissed off

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Todd didn't let Obsidian make this game. This makes me unambiguously angry

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Obsidian did make the only good game on their engine in recent memory, it's true.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
too bad it was the buggiest by far.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

CLAM DOWN posted:

i'm stroking out over this game right now

The game's gonna be fun... I can't believe it...

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
What if my family were dying and bethsoft had the answers to stop it, but they didn't? Is that happening right now? Can I stop them/force them to act?

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Mr. Pool posted:

I saw in a skill description for planet surveying that you need upper ranks to possibly find some rarer resources on planets/moons. Due to mental illness I'll have to keep my exploration to a clear region until I max the surveying skill so I know where to go back and re-scan bc I CANNOT MISS ANYTHING :colbert:

I feel seen.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

What I really want to know is what are the names my ship can say? I want it to shout my name when we’re getting heavy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

wait the ships talk? if i choose the introvert trait can i get a ship that doesn't talk?

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Todd was super excited to be called captain howard by the ship in the starfield direct.

I bet he’s tried to get his wife to call him that. Big fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Earwicker posted:

wait the ships talk? if i choose the introvert trait can i get a ship that doesn't talk?

I think it was leaked somewhere that it was plot necessary for the character of the ship to be essential. You have to stick with it. You can't sideline it, abandon it, or even friendzone it.

Kissing your ship is mandatory, in other words.