Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Jeez, Valdez managed to survive with his eye completely hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Valdez showed so much heart. Incredible fight.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

his eye looked hosed up drat

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I’d love to see them run it back even though I know in my heart that Navarrette’ll win again. That was an amazing performance from both guys.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Torquemada posted:

I think this guy could very well be my least favourite fighter of all time. He makes a meal out of every fight he's in, his under-confidence and timidity sap any entertainment value or sense of investment I might have.

Joshua is the peak example of the British selling our mediocrity as exceptional.

Bonus points for them selling our one exceptional fighter as mediocre (Fury)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Marching Powder posted:

youtube just recommended me this video and i really like this dude. he's an olympic silver medallist and seems to be a seriously complete fighter. mostly tho, i like him on the mic. he's got a really powerful charisma. i don't know. i just really like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVQ4K5lCu2c

One if the things i hate about all the AI script reading voices on YouTube videos is i can never be certain if names are pronounced right.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kimbo305 posted:

One if the things i hate about all the AI script reading voices on YouTube videos is i can never be certain if names are pronounced right.

the only thing i've objected to was a vid on inoue where the thing kept calling him 'the japanese' no 'the japanese phenom' or whatever. just 'the japanese'

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mr. F! posted:

Valdez showed so much heart. Incredible fight.

yeah. real good poo poo last night

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
e: nm

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 26, 2023

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

So after Dillian Whyte tested positive for doping and was dropped from the Joshua rematch, he was replaced with Robert Helenius who was also apparently caught doping. Amazing.

My hot take for some time now is they may as well get rid of drug testing since everyone does it anyway and the only skill difference is how good your team is at evading the tests.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

the only skill difference is how good your team is at evading the tests.
Cynical as it may be, it’s part of the game. Of they wanna dope, they need to put the effort in to evade tests to get their income.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Usyk fighting well for a man who already got knocked out.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Super weird fight. Dubois landed a big body shot - right on the middle of the belt line - which dropped Usyk badly. Instead of Dubois potentially scoring a KO (Usyk looked like he may not be able to get up within 10 seconds), the punch was immediately ruled a low blow (call was borderline at best) and Usyk was given the full 5 minutes to recover. After 3~ minutes, Usyk says he's good to go, and the ref says no, take MORE time to recover please, and makes him take the full 5 minutes. Lol. Just one of the worst reffing jobs I've ever seen to be honest. Guy should never ref again. Usyk went on to cruise and eventually KOed Dubois, although it looked more like Dubois tired out/gave up more than actually got KOed, but Jesus Christ what a debacle.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 27, 2023

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The punch was beltline. Technically that's considered a low blow although many refs clarify the belt as a legal position to hit because of how high boxers wear their trunks. My inclination based on how the fight went is that Usyk was probably hit low; whether or not he could have gotten up in 10 seconds is disputable because the ref told him pretty quickly that he didn't have to.

What I felt was improper (and makes the whole thing feel improper) was the ref insisting Usyk get his five minutes over the fighter himself saying he was ready. That made it seem like the ref was worried for Usyk personally and was making efforts to see the home guy didn't get demolished if it was at all preventable, and that in turn raises questions about the low blow ruling.

Ultimately I think it would have been an unsatisfying way for the fight to end on a beltline shot that at least appeared to cause the reaction you'd expect from a foul. Whether or not it was a perfect body shot is questionable enough that I think there would be equal or greater controversy if the ref had called that a knockdown and stopped Usyk for failing to get up in time. Maybe it would be a more just outcome for Dubois but based on how the rest of the fight went I can't feel too strongly about it.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

what the hell was that big baby co-main

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

the paradigm shift posted:

what the hell was that big baby co-main
Just a parade of dickshots. Six, I think?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

During the fight I though it was a legal shot but the more replays I see of the Usyk-Dubois punch the more I think Dubois’s hand did land slightly low and then slid further up the belt line.

Usyk was lucky to get the call, plenty of refs would have called it a body shot. It wasn’t an easy decision either way.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jump King posted:

During the fight I though it was a legal shot but the more replays I see of the Usyk-Dubois punch the more I think Dubois’s hand did land slightly low and then slid further up the belt line.

Usyk was lucky to get the call, plenty of refs would have called it a body shot. It wasn’t an easy decision either way.

This is how I feel. It looked like a body shot on the replay they showed during the broadcast. The reverse angle I saw looked to be mostly on Usyk’s belt, which was above the waist, but it there was also some contact below the belt line.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They had three boxes matches at the local mma fights last night, and they represented the range of local level talent so well you'd think they planed it: one fight was guys that turned all the way around when they swung haymakers, one was a pair of guys, untutored bit experienced brawlers, that waded forward with sloppy right hooks, and the last had members of the local boxing club that could do things like use a recognizable guard and throw two and three punch combinations.

Notably, out of the dozen boxing, kick boxing, amateur and pro MMA on display last night, no one was capable of throwing a straight punch down the pipe except for the pros headlining the main event and a pair of lady kick boxers. Every single other fight was a constant exchange of hooks and I was waiting for some coach, somewhere, to remember the one two.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jack B Nimble posted:

They had three boxes matches at the local mma fights last night, and they represented the range of local level talent so well you'd think they planed it: one fight was guys that turned all the way around when they swung haymakers, one was a pair of guys, untutored bit experienced brawlers, that waded forward with sloppy right hooks, and the last had members of the local boxing club that could do things like use a recognizable guard and throw two and three punch combinations.

Notably, out of the dozen boxing, kick boxing, amateur and pro MMA on display last night, no one was capable of throwing a straight punch down the pipe except for the pros headlining the main event and a pair of lady kick boxers. Every single other fight was a constant exchange of hooks and I was waiting for some coach, somewhere, to remember the one two.

i used to love going to events like these. i have no idea where they get the combatants, because my first amateur fight was against a dude who could throw a jab straight for the first minute of each round. wish they gave me one of the windmill guys.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Marching Powder posted:

i used to love going to events like these. i have no idea where they get the combatants, because my first amateur fight was against a dude who could throw a jab straight for the first minute of each round. wish they gave me one of the windmill guys.

NGL as someone who's dabbled in kickboxing for years but was never "about that life" enough to actually do a match, that's what part of me thinks, too. My coach straight up asked me if I wanted a fight once and I wasn't sure how to bring up the topic of essentially fixing the fight by getting me one of those idiots. I wouldn't trust the promoter not to bring in a twenty year old on steroids who trains like a young James Toney, so I'd never do it. But yeah, some of them are, ah, encouraging to watch.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

godDAMN Zhang just obliterated Joyce

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Rags to Liches posted:

godDAMN Zhang just obliterated Joyce

This has to be the end for him. Joyce with no punch resistance is just bad news for him. I'd like to see Zhang rematch Hrgovic for the next in line to fight Usyk

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

The SituAsian posted:

This has to be the end for him. Joyce with no punch resistance is just bad news for him. I'd like to see Zhang rematch Hrgovic for the next in line to fight Usyk

Yeah, he looked afraid to engage with Zhang. I think getting beat the first time broke him mentally.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Joe Joyce showed up over 25 pounds heavier today than in the first fight against Zhang, and at an all time career high by 10 pounds. Never a good sign, and he predictably paid the price.

Still pretty shocking that the normally titanium chinned Joyce got absolutely obliterated by one punch from Zhang, but when you use your head as a shield, you eventually run out of punch resistance, which is what happened tonight. I hope Joyce has made some decent money, because at 38 years old and with his punch resistance now gone, he's basically washed up going forward.

As for Zhang, would love to see him fight - I guess Usyk? It seems like Fury has basically decided to become a reality star/business man instead of a full time boxer, so I'm not holding my breath for him to fight Zhang, or Usyk or anyone else with a pulse for that matter.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Is anyone here picking Mell to beat Canelo? Or for that matter is anyone anywhere picking him? I haven't looked at the odds but I can't imagine they are at all close.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Is anyone here picking Mell to beat Canelo? Or for that matter is anyone anywhere picking him? I haven't looked at the odds but I can't imagine they are at all close.

Unless canelo's absurd amount of fights has caught up to him in a big way, I don't see any way Mel wins. Canelo is bigger, better, and punches harder.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Motivedia did another cool video on the Alvarez-Charlo bout, but this part I found pretty funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJi43u9zZ9A&t=414s

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Canelo is -430 right now. Also, it's so hard to bet against Canelo when you have to win every round against him to get a 115-113 card in your favour (e.g. the Bivol fight).

I do think Canelo has lost a bit of a step, but he's still 2 weight classes above Jermell, fighting at his natural weight class, and has the above protections in place.

Canelo by close decision.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
I'll still only believe it when they are actually in the ring, but...

https://twitter.com/Turki_alalshikh/status/1707777581632614501

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I'm hyped

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you need a dead horse beat in 4k:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzuySh7FGoQ
Migthy Mouse is one of the most cerebral MMA fighters out there, so his commentary is only on point.

As for Mike Tyson's minimal coaching here, I suppose he if anyone understand's the limitations of trying to teach an old dog new tricks.
Ngannou's not gonna be able to pick up boxing-usable movement and distance management.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 1, 2023

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Ngannou is gonna get knocked out like dillian white.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
is there no GDT for canelo v charlo?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

crepeface posted:

is there no GDT for canelo v charlo?

*crickets*

I think we all expected that to happen, that fight was for real canelo heads only. Ugas fight as okay

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
119/108 lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
calling out bud crawford in a loss. maybe, don't lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Dejan Bimble posted:

*crickets*

I think we all expected that to happen, that fight was for real canelo heads only. Ugas fight as okay

The only people who couldvebeen interested in this are people who didn't understand why weight classes exist and that moving between them takes time

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/terencecrawford/status/1708348947939651737

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Dejan Bimble posted:

*crickets*

i had it on while hungover and still got bored lol