Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

VelociBacon posted:

I literally have no idea if mine actually extracts. There's ducting above the stove that goes up into the ceiling but also there's like filtered exhaust looking ports on the front right under the microwave. I can't feel air moving out of it...I think?

My last rental had a dual type, inside the unit (behind the filters I think?) there was a switch that let you pick whether it dumped air outside or back into the house.

I assume this was conceived as a heat conservation thing for winter, not that it mattered in that particular house because none of the windows actually closed properly. The grease filters never work that well anyway, I'd always rather vent cooking air outside and pay a little more to replace the heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

My last rental had a dual type, inside the unit (behind the filters I think?) there was a switch that let you pick whether it dumped air outside or back into the house.

I assume this was conceived as a heat conservation thing for winter, not that it mattered in that particular house because none of the windows actually closed properly. The grease filters never work that well anyway, I'd always rather vent cooking air outside and pay a little more to replace the heat.

Oh that's super interesting. I'll have to rip the whole thing apart one night at 3am on a binge and see if there's such switches.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Got a model number?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It's so the manufacturer can make one model that works for both vented and recirculating installs.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
see that would make sense except that when I moved in it was set to recirculate despite having an external vent

all the cabinet doors were covered in a thick layer of dusty grease :gonk:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

see that would make sense except that when I moved in it was set to recirculate despite having an external vent

all the cabinet doors were covered in a thick layer of dusty grease :gonk:

Once I was doing some renovating work in some old apartments, which involved working on the main wastewater pipe running down in the corner of every kitchen(cutting out sections and replacing them with PVC, essentially). So we replace one, and because we shove the pipe around a bit as we do the work it knocks a bit of ceiling down into the kitchen below, and I'm the one who gets sent down to clean it up because just leaving it there would've been an rear end in a top hat move.

When I arrive, it turns out that the occupant probably would not even have noticed, because there are feet-high piles of dirty dishes everywhere, and the dust from the ceiling debris is adhering to everything because of the inch-thick grease on everything. I try to wipe some of it off, realize that my fingers are now waxy with grease AND dust, touch the faucet to try and wash my hands clean, and learn that even the faucet is greasy.

I have never before experienced a greasy faucet. How in the gently caress do you even manage that?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Easy.
Do nothing.
For years.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Ruflux posted:

Do rooftop-mounted range hood motors exist in the US in residential buildings? That's the most common non-combined setup I've seen here. Seemingly basically universal outside of apartment buildings and similar where they annoyingly combine it with the overall ventilation/extraction system, which depending on how old your building is might be useless (like mine, which runs on a timer and the high speed mode which actually does something to cooking fumes and smells and moisture from the sauna and the bathroom only engages four times a day for an hour each) or if you have your own ventilation unit that you can manually control might actually do its job almost as well as a separate hood fan.

Not exactly rooftop, but at my mom's new house she got a range hood with attic mounted fans. It allows two much bigger fans, and does reduce some of the noise in the kitchen.

I'm pretty sure it's this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZLINE-K...6922121#overlay

And here's the page in the manual illustrating the remote blower:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

PainterofCrap posted:

Easy.
Do nothing.
For years.

My first house the fans inside the range hood were completely broken, off their mountings, with most if not all of the blades snapped off, but still hooked up to power so it made all the "right noises" so I didn't realise for years.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The post was complaining about the divert the water that drips off...poor bastard was unaware of the real problem he likely has from that utterly bizarre roofline.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Not exactly rooftop, but at my mom's new house she got a range hood with attic mounted fans. It allows two much bigger fans, and does reduce some of the noise in the kitchen.

I'm pretty sure it's this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZLINE-K...6922121#overlay

700 CFM! You would definitely a make up air for that. I really wanted a remote blower for our kitchen because loud range hoods really annoy me but couldn't justify the extra cost, of course now I wish I had.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

It's so the manufacturer can make one model that works for both vented and recirculating installs.

Nah, they wouldnt have multiple blowers if that were the case, too expensive. The cheap ones are already single-model, you just have to punch out the appropriate hole in the metal to configure it as recirculating or externally venting when you install it--there's no reason to be able to switch it on the fly except as a premium feature

edit:

i was actually just thinking about installing a new hood a couple days ago, specifically an exterior vented one--my stove backs up against an exterior wall, so the venting situation is pretty simple. I think I could do it myself (or with the help of a friend misting water as i drilled through the brick wall for the vent), but I'd rather have someone else do it because I'm busy fixing plumbing problems. Is this something I should trust to a handyman, or should I call someone more specific? My current vent hood is recirculating, improperly installed by a handyman or a big box store's installer, and was installed without carbon filters behind the metal grease filters (which had never been cleaned, as far as I can tell).

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 23, 2023

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Oh I didn't know this existed (but I shouldnt be surprised, as I just learned that downdraft extractors with remote blowers in a basement or crawlspace exist), that rules. It's only sorta related, but the proliferation of hydroponics has made cheap extractor fans for ducts pretty available. I'm thinking of installing one inline with the exhaust duct for my paint booth as a booster blower to go along with the extractor in the booth itself.

I was gonna do the same to fix an issue with a poorly routed (or possibly leaky/blocked) HVAC duct in my old house too, using a pressure switch to control it, but I ended up getting an HVAC register with a thermometer and fans that will kick on when the HVAC system is running to boost airflow to the one room that gets almost none. Yeah it's not a great solution but I'm waiting until I can start tearing up walls to run new ductwork.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

raggedphoto posted:

700 CFM! You would definitely a make up air for that. I really wanted a remote blower for our kitchen because loud range hoods really annoy me but couldn't justify the extra cost, of course now I wish I had.

Yep, there's a make up air vent smack in the middle of the kitchen ceiling.

And yeah, it's a little bit quieter, but there's only so much you can do to quiet down the sound of 700cfm of air going through the grease trap/filters on the hood. It's still pretty loud.

It'll definitely suck the smell of a pot full of boiling crabs or shrimp right out of the house though.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I was told this goes here, wedged under all the other posts for extra thread support

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's always hilarious when folks don't account for the fact that water weighs about eight pounds/gallon.

I had a loss once where there was a plumbing issue caused by a blockage in a lateral in a crawlspace. When the home was built (around 1980) apparently the plumber wasn't familiar with PVC waste piping. He installed hangers for a 4" line, about every ten feet, probably because the pipe was so light as compared to the cast-iron he was familiar with. Over the years, it sagged between the hangers, almost completely arresting flow and allowing material to accumulate.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Grey Fox posted:

I was told this goes here, wedged under all the other posts for extra thread support

Christ that's a bottle jack. I guess the only good thing to say is that if it fails by simply cracking the tub then the load will redistribute itself to the ground without having the bring the spa with it.

E: Haha, the fact that it's a bottle jack is apparently a common observation. It took me a minute.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

It's always hilarious when folks don't account for the fact that water weighs about eight pounds/gallon.

I had a loss once where there was a plumbing issue caused by a blockage in a lateral in a crawlspace. When the home was built (around 1980) apparently the plumber wasn't familiar with PVC waste piping. He installed hangers for a 4" line, about every ten feet, probably because the pipe was so light as compared to the cast-iron he was familiar with. Over the years, it sagged between the hangers, almost completely arresting flow and allowing material to accumulate.

post/username combo + I love when people call heinous poo poo amalgam "material"

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

PainterofCrap posted:

Well if you insist on using moon units…

Water weighs one kilogram per liter, one ton per cubic meter.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zopotantor posted:

Water weighs one kilogram per liter, one ton per cubic meter.

Insane coincidence, metric system got super lucky with that one.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Insane coincidence, metric system got super lucky with that one.

Yeah, there's no way to predict how much water will weigh

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They were cheating when they made a liter the same as a quart

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Grey Fox posted:

I think those vertical members will do it, but I can’t see the bearing points from the photos. Do hot tubs rest their weight equally on the ground, or do they effectively have feet, or Jack points? I can see it being possible to put one on stilts. I’d want all the posts set in footers, not on top of a pad.

I’ve been trying to spec the wall type and cross members needed to put a hot tub on my rooftop deck. It’s CMU walls with joists now, but wanted to throw about 4 steel I-beams across the walls and deck over those for the tub. It used to be easier to find span tables, but with SEO everything useful is buried.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The wiring thread taught me it's plugged in so code doesn't apply.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

*runs a tie strap from the switch to the receptacle*
There, I did it!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Grey Fox posted:

This comment got me

quote:

I hope you have good legal representation and have all guests wear harnesses tied off to your house when they enter.

Laughing at the idea of the bottom falling out and all the swimsuit clad hot tubbers swinging in towards the house and dangling together

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
that permanent bottle jack rules

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

This comment got me

Laughing at the idea of the bottom falling out and all the swimsuit clad hot tubbers swinging in towards the house and dangling together

Isn't that a way to kill a target in one of the Hitman games?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mr.belowaverage posted:

I think those vertical members will do it, but I can’t see the bearing points from the photos. Do hot tubs rest their weight equally on the ground, or do they effectively have feet, or Jack points? I can see it being possible to put one on stilts. I’d want all the posts set in footers, not on top of a pad.

I’ve been trying to spec the wall type and cross members needed to put a hot tub on my rooftop deck. It’s CMU walls with joists now, but wanted to throw about 4 steel I-beams across the walls and deck over those for the tub. It used to be easier to find span tables, but with SEO everything useful is buried.

The leaky hot tub I had to cut apart when I moved in had the middle spot where your feet go resting directly on the ground, the outside edge supported by the wood surround (mostly 2x4 lumber with cladding), and the seats sort of hang between them.

So probably just the outer perimeter and the center need support and everything else is hollow, unless there's been a massive leap in hot tub technology.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dillbag posted:

Isn't that a way to kill a target in one of the Hitman games?

Yeah it was a glass bottomed hot tub cantilevered out over a cliff's edge at some richy rich mansion.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

People who did the installation absolutely knew how to make it right, but didn't do it for some reason. Most likely because it's a rental property or something and they were not allowed to make alterations. "Plug in only, no permanent wiring"

I've built a detached deck to support a hot tub, from provided architecture drawing. The hot tub specific part of the deck platform was a cross section of double beams, supported by 4 6x6 posts on 20 or 24" tubes. It had the same deck boards running across, just lower. I never saw the actual hot tub installation, but it was solid enough that I would park my truck there without hesitation.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 27, 2023

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Over the last 3 months I have been watching some straight up ship of Theseus bullshit going on with one of the houses in my street.
First the interior was stripped out, then they pulled off all the weatherboards and windows, after that they raised it up poured a slab and framed in the new bottom floor, all pretty reasonable stuff so far but in the last week I have watched the roof get stripped and then the entirety of the original hardwood frame removed :psyboom: all that's left now is the new built bits and some floor beams.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That's probably some kind of permit game they're playing with the city.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

That's probably some kind of permit game they're playing with the city.

Yeah in CA it's pretty common to do a one wall remodel, where you tear down everything except for one wall and then "remodel" the house re-incorporating that wall. I believe it's that reassessments on remodels are much less than new construction, so since everything here is a game around Prop 13, the more you can do to limit reassessment the more you're likely to be able to live in the house rather than having your property taxes jump 1000% (not a joke).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

When I built my garage in 2004, I was able to get a permit for a 'remodel' by leaving a small area of slab.

That little area with the displaced concrete cover? That was enough.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There are also zoning rules that will lead to that kind of "remodel", with there being different requirements for new vs "existing" structures.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1023740229074550804/1145400765117112420/sparkly_radiator.mp4

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

I think I'd do my level best to relocate a few countries over if I had that sort of thing going on in my home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

That's why we call them as batteries in Finnish.