Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dobbs_Head posted:

Todd was super excited to be called captain howard by the ship in the starfield direct.

that's just in Todd's special copy. you think anyone else gets to be captain? lol. lmao. Todd is the captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Earwicker posted:

wait the ships talk? if i choose the introvert trait can i get a ship that doesn't talk?

Don't think your Normandy ship is controlled by an anthropomorphic AI this time, but rather it's your mandatory comic relief robot butler that's able to vocalize the tailored insults in thirty different languages. It apparently ranks as a one of the few major character in the storyline, as evident by the box art and Reddit's explanation of it:

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

George Sex - REAL posted:

I think it was leaked somewhere that it was plot necessary for the character of the ship to be essential. You have to stick with it. You can't sideline it, abandon it, or even friendzone it.

Kissing your ship is mandatory, in other words.

So like when Arkham married the Batmobile and had that ugly rear end kid? :ohdear:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I wonder how they're gonna handle seeding these random planets and poo poo, and if modders can just kinda throw their custom POIs into that queue or if it'll end up being a conflicting nightmare until someone like powerofthree creates some scripted wizardry to fix the problem.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
theres probably flags in the creation kit for that. Just like how storage in player homes/settlements doesn't update itself.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Space Scoundrel starting background. Pistols, Persuasion, and Piloting skills.

It looks like "The Big Payday" spaceship is gonna be taking flight in a new universe.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I'mma gonna be a space frog science guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxVekZRIWyg

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Digital Foundry received Todd's permission to say something about Starfield performance.

(Transcript copied from Reddit)

Digital Foundry posted:

John: "So every time they've showed Starfield, obviously, there's been this thing where the footage doesn't look smooth. We've talked about this before and we're like, 'is there performance problems?' The answer is no. That is a problem with the trailers. The actual game does not have these problems.

Rich: "Yep. Mmhm. And Todd noticed it as well. So at this point, you know, Starfield's review code has gone out, it is under NDA, and it still will be under NDA by the time you watch this.. but, we received a special, I dunno, it's the equivalent of a papal dispensation from Todd Howard-"

John: "That's right. We're given a waiver for this one issue."

Rich: "Yeah. It basically doesn't look as jerky as it's looked in all the footage so far. Certainly- well, certainly we can vouch for the intro mission because we've played that through, both of us, and we both concur that it doesn't really look, well... it is a capture of the game, right, but the motion isn't right in the capture."

John: "It should be much smoother than that."

https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/1695463649484104039?s=20

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Cavauro posted:

it's important to remember that full development of this game only started in august of 2020, because of the pandemic. a majority of the areas will not have anything in it except for some prefabs, including the two big cities in the game which are both on the same planet.

The trailer clearly stated this was 25 years in the making. You think Todd is just gonna come into our homes and lie to us? :flame:

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Nyan Bread posted:

Long Hauler
Let those other hothead pilots obsess over laser weapons and maneuverability. You're a space trucker, pure and simple. Pack the cargo, get it there fast, get paid, repeat. Life is simple and good. Skills: Weight Lifting, Piloting, Ballistic Weapon Systems

Sorry, Primary Quest Giver. I'm sure that main quest is super important, but it will have to wait. I have several clients ahead of you, and these crates of alien sex toys aren't going to fly themselves.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Starfield is going to be the most important crate management game since Sokoban, it's a bold claim, but mark my words

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

John F Bennett posted:

Digital Foundry received Todd's permission to say something about Starfield performance.

https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/1695463649484104039?s=20

Good, the lovely frame pacing in all the footage was a bit of a concern for me. Don't know why Bethesda didn't try to get better capture if even Todd noted it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

SyRauk posted:

Sorry, Primary Quest Giver. I'm sure that main quest is super important, but it will have to wait. I have several clients ahead of you, and these crates of alien sex toys aren't going to fly themselves.

The boys are thirsty in New Atlantis
And there's vibes in Space Texarkanis
And we'll bring em back no matter what it takes

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 27, 2023

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

John F Bennett posted:

This is nice to a) have confirmed officially, especially pre launch, and b) be confirmed by people who genuinely know what they are talking about and can be trusted to tell it how it is.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Tankbuster posted:

Don't like DnD sorry.
I could never get into pen & paper RPGs despite having multiple friends who still play. I’ve bounced off acclaimed CRPGs like Dragon Age: Origins, Pillars of Eternity, and Divinity: Original Sin.

I’m 100+ hours into Baldur’s Gate 3 and partway through Act 3 and loving it.

So maybe don’t sleep on it just because it’s based on DnD.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I have bought Divinity 1+2, and tried playing all the typical ones like Pillars of Eternity 1+2, etc...

I really wanted to like them, but I just can't. I don't 'get' the combat, some fights take close to 10 minutes and they bore me. But I'm sure I'll eventually buy BG3 and make the exact same mistake of thinking I'll like it.

I think a big reason is the isometric view, I'm having a hard time getting immersed when the camera is so far away. Although I do like Wasteland 3 and the Shadowrun games (all on game pass), so I may just not enjoy the fantasy setting.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

John F Bennett posted:

I have bought Divinity 1+2, and tried playing all the typical ones like Pillars of Eternity 1+2, etc...

I really wanted to like them, but I just can't. I don't 'get' the combat, some fights take close to 10 minutes and they bore me. But I'm sure I'll eventually buy BG3 and make the exact same mistake of thinking I'll like it.

I think a big reason is the isometric view, I'm having a hard time getting immersed when the camera is so far away. Although I do like Wasteland 3 and the Shadowrun games (all on game pass), so I may just not enjoy the fantasy setting.

Same and bounced off all of them but I really like, and did not bounce off of, Baldur's Gate 3. Not to say my anecdote will also be yours, but as has been mentioned BG3 is different than those other, similar games, somehow.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Saw a video where someone reached the border of a zone in 10 minutes of walking. The interesting thing was it looked like some sort of building appeared just before the border. Unfortunately the player totally ignored it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I've read some people say they really just couldn't connect with standard CRPG ways of moving around in and interacting with the world, but being able to control their character directly with the controller (like you can in BG3) was much more enjoyable. In BG3 that also brings the camera down and in closer a bit, at least outside of combat. Also I think theres a mod to let you WSAD with a similar control style.

Still not the same as BGS first person tho, which is just a lot easier for many people.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Saw a video where someone reached the border of a zone in 10 minutes of walking. The interesting thing was it looked like some sort of building appeared just before the border. Unfortunately the player totally ignored it.

He wasn't walking. It took 10 min to reach the boundary full sprint.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Shivers posted:

He was also starting from the ship, it wasn’t an end to end run.

It’s going to be an exhausting 5 days with the “is the game that is like 10x bigger than Skyrim ENOUGH, though?”

And we’re not even to the TOTK / BG3 / Starfield GOTY slugfest yet!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Shivers posted:

Right, sorry. In my head "walking" meant "on foot".

I was more intrigued by the sudden building though. That was my main interest.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing about Divinity 1 and 2 is that its a combat game where encounters are pretty explicitly a soft puzzle system where each fight is a particular crafted challenge where the enemy composition, resistances and environment all point you towards one or two solutions (I say a soft puzzle because you can after a certain point just DPS your way through anything).

If you don't buy into that then you will bounce off them in the way that you won't bounce off the more traditional crpg style of BG3.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have yet to find any kind of turn-based combat rpg that really sucked me in.

i dont mind turns in a strategy setting like in total war games or civilization but in an rpg it just kind of pulls me out of the game and feels really tedious

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 27, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dramicus posted:

Right, sorry. In my head "walking" meant "on foot".

Do you have a link to the video? I am a bit curious how the procgen looks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So that DLSS mod is gonna be a paid thing? Apparently the same dev has something similar already, and updates, when it breaks eventually, cost more money?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Are we allowed to link spoilers/leaks? I have the link, but don’t want the hammer coming down.

Edit: talking about the “boundary hit in ten minutes” vid

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Dramicus posted:

I have no idea where you’re seeing a building. It’s just rocks and sand.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Chillmatic posted:

I have no idea where you’re seeing a building. It’s just rocks and sand.

At the 8 minute mark, there's a pre-fab building with a door on the hill to the right.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I remember this exact "it takes 10 minutes to cross the map" leak discourse about Fallout 4 the week before it came out. Never ended up being an issue in the actual game if you're playing normally.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Combat Pretzel posted:

So that DLSS mod is gonna be a paid thing? Apparently the same dev has something similar already, and updates, when it breaks eventually, cost more money?

Yeah he releases them on Patreon. A lot of modders release stuff on Patreon only.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i genuinely don't understand why people even care about the borders thing

it's all procgen anyway, what loving difference does it make if you have to go to your ship to get more of it

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Zokari posted:

it's all procgen anyway, what loving difference does it make if you have to go to your ship to get more of it

LYING TODD TOLD ME HE MADE A WHOLE UNIVERSE

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zokari posted:

gamers rise up

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Speaking personally, I find the "You reached A Videogame Boundary, please return to your ship!" thing a bit offputting in a general "heavy-handed breaking of kayfabe rubs me the wrong way" sense, but I can't find it in me to get outraged about it.

As many people have said, it's not something which is gonna really come up much in actual play for 99.9% of people.

But I do wish they could have found a more elegant solution.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Zokari posted:

It's a game series where the literal selling point is 'see that? you can go there!' and just wandering around in general. But it seems in practice its gonna be heavily fast travel based. So at this point its... mass effect andromeda but with less vehicles and more procgen?

like that its all procgen is not exactly in its favor. they didn't have to procgen, they chose this.

Most people probably won't run into the barrier. But the reason they won't run into the barrier is that there's gonna be no reason to go there - you land the ship, stuff is near the ship, you do that and get back in the ship.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The boundary thing pretty much implies no fast travel across the planet. With fast I mean wheeled vehicles or atmospheric space ships. Which is pretty annoying, because I'd have hoped to get that eventually with an update, for exploration and poo poo.

What bugs me in all that is, the game really only procedurally generates the visible area, anyway. So why would there even need to be a boundary? (Probably engine limitation, which in turn implies that they didn't think this planetary stuff through. That or the procgen isn't stable when the origin coordinates shift.)

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Alchenar posted:

The thing about Divinity 1 and 2 is that its a combat game where encounters are pretty explicitly a soft puzzle system where each fight is a particular crafted challenge where the enemy composition, resistances and environment all point you towards one or two solutions (I say a soft puzzle because you can after a certain point just DPS your way through anything).

If you don't buy into that then you will bounce off them in the way that you won't bounce off the more traditional crpg style of BG3.

I'm so glad you brought this up.
We played DoS in co-op with my wife and hated it, specifically because it was a puzzle game disguised as an rpg. It wasn't difficult as much as just bloody tedious. Only got a few hours in before we quit, and we have mused about how poo poo it was a few times looking back.

If BG3 is better then perhaps I need to review my opinion on Larian.

Also looking forward to starfield here in the starfield thread or whatever.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

like that its all procgen is not exactly in its favor. they didn't have to procgen, they chose this.

wait i think i missed where it's all procgen? i thought there were quite a large number of hand-crafted locations, and the procgen only happened if you chose to land in some other random spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Earwicker posted:

wait i think i missed where it's all procgen? i thought there were quite a large number of hand-crafted locations, and the procgen only happened if you chose to land in some other random spot

Sorry, hyperbole. There's a bunch of handcrafted locations, like cities and probably plot locations and ruins you're supposed to find. But for the '1000 planets' and landing at random spots on the planet, they procgen the tile around the ship and fill it in with a selection of content.

There might be a degree of procgen around plot zones too but its not clear if thats the case.