Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Went over to a friend's house and they shoved the DVD for ANTRUM in my hands and said "just watch it," so I'm gonna go do exactly that. Will report back to the thread with my findings.

This is a v. funny move by your friend and I’m excited to hear your response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Shoving a dirty copy of Howling 2 into my friends hands as I shut the door in their face

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
A movie trying to be so-bad-it's-good and succeeding? CarousHELL

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

maybe Malignant isn't so-bad-its-good rather than outright good, but it definitely seems aware of the insane tropes and comedy of the early-2000s horror movies and likes to push them

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Antrum isn't terrible but man what a let down. I'd been eagerly waiting to see it for like a year and a half though, if someone just gave it to me and I'd never heard of it I might have enjoyed it more

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

alf_pogs posted:

maybe Malignant isn't so-bad-its-good rather than outright good, but it definitely seems aware of the insane tropes and comedy of the early-2000s horror movies and likes to push them

Oh yeah, it's having fun with the ridiculousness.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Antrum isn't terrible but man what a let down. I'd been eagerly waiting to see it for like a year and a half though, if someone just gave it to me and I'd never heard of it I might have enjoyed it more

That's how I feel about it; just springing it onto somebody who doesn't know it's a cursed movie and now you're gonna die :supaburn: would probably enhance the whole experience.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

update: I lived!

The found footage/mockumentary framing was wholly unnecessary; as a pure love letter to Deodato/Ruggerio/Pasolini it already works fine. A bit undercooked and padded, and travels down a well-rutted road to its inevitable climax, but just underwhelms. The problem with making a pitch-perfect early-70s horror flick is that we've had 40 years to refine and improve the formula, and splicing a few bits of a snuff film every 20 minutes isn't enough to keep our interest anymore.

Also what the gently caress kind of parent, even if they did what they had to to protect their son, tells their kid that the beloved family pet is in Hell?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The problem I had with Antrum was that it looked cheap as poo poo. Like its suppose to be from 1970 but you know they sat in a editors room and were like "Okay now apply a washed out filter, gently caress yeah". Then just went with that.

You can just loving tell that its a filter. It's all washed out and such but it looks nothing like films from the 70s looked.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

The problem I had with Antrum was that it looked cheap as poo poo. Like its suppose to be from 1970 but you know they sat in a editors room and were like "Okay now apply a washed out filter, gently caress yeah". Then just went with that.

You can just loving tell that its a filter. It's all washed out and such but it looks nothing like films from the 70s looked.

Did you want them to actually use 35mm filmstock and ancient lenses?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Shrecknet posted:

They could have used 16mm or something. I mean Ti West did this for House of the Devil.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shrecknet posted:

I mean, if that's the aesthetic they're going for and they cant figure out another way to accurately replicate it, then yeah?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shrecknet posted:

Yes actually. If you do found footage imo you should use the medium you’re emulating.

No filters. If you’re gonna glitch out the video do it for real imoq
Ruin the camera no filters

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I have survived Cinema Day. Even with substantially more presales this year, we had a massive amount of walkups and multiple showings fully sold out. I lost count of how many people I had to give refunds to that bought the wheelchair row online and were surprised that the wheelchair row is for wheelchairs so there's no seats for them. No you can't bring in your own chairs, and no you can't sit on the floor. To the people who were shocked movies were sold out and insisted they be let in to actually see the seats were sold out, that still doesn't change the seats are still considered sold in our system and you can't buy them.

I dread how next year's Cinema Day pans out.

Opopanax posted:

A let down is the best way to describe it. It had the same hype as Fury of the Demon, but it left me with a 'that's it?' compared to Fury which just was a better film all around.

CelticPredator posted:

Yes actually. If you do found footage imo you should use the medium you’re emulating.

No filters. If you’re gonna glitch out the video do it for real imoq
Ruin the camera no filters

WNUF Halloween special filmed on VHS and ran it through multiple copying to give it that old VHS quality.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t like athat movie bc it’s boring as hell but i appreciate it sticking to the medium.

The Bay is my favorite stick to the medium film. Movie freaks me out deeply. Owns. Love it

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t like athat movie bc it’s boring as hell but i appreciate it sticking to the medium.

The Bay is my favorite stick to the medium film. Movie freaks me out deeply. Owns. Love it

I think it might be a generational thing. For someone in my age bracket who watched the live investigational stuff and taped off TV getting some of the commercials in, WNUF nailed it. Whereas The Bay didn't click with me because I was already getting to old when that medium came out. Same with We're Going to the World's Fair, I was in my 20s when publicly available internet entered the picture so having that degree of dependence on it is strange to me, while for someone younger, that film hits all the beats.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I can see that. Everyone on discord who watched it were like yeah this it but I never Watched anything like that. Born in 91. Seen live stuff but usually didn’t really fall for it. What killed is when all is said and done the story of wunuf sucks for me and goes absolutely nowhere and commercials are charming but not enough to make for the rest of it

I only mentioned the bay because it kept true to its medium, and was gross and cool lol.

For my money incident at lake county is goat. Didn’t see that till waaaaaaay later but still

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you promise me poo poo deliver imo. That’s why I hate wnuf

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

For my money incident at lake county is goat. Didn’t see that till waaaaaaay later but still

That was good and so was the 1989 original.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CelticPredator posted:

If you promise me poo poo deliver imo. That’s why I hate wnuf

They promised you a Halloween special and they delivered :colbert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

WNUF kinda stumbled in a couple places for me. It didn't really nail the verisimilitude because the commercials weren't right. There would have been national commercials for big brands, not just local stuff. I understand why they weren't included, but it still made the thing ring a little false.

The other thing is that the ending twist didn't work for me at all. That's way too much plot, and too much easy cinematic resolution.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Threw on the Pope's Exorcist. I'm already loving Russel Crowe getting his rear end chewed out by a council of superiors (or really just one unreasonably young guy).

"You're a loose confessional, Amorth! The big man upstairs won't stand for any more of these lone wolf exorcisms! I've got the Pope so far up my rear end, you'd think I was back to being an altar boy! Now I want your crucifix, and I want your bible! And this time, take out the bookmark!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
missed opportunity for "loose canon"

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

should’ve gone for “loose canon” but good post

edit: dammit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Did you consider making a "loose canon" joke?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Forgive me father for I have sinned.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

davidspackage posted:

Forgive me father for I have sinned.

The altar boy bit got me to snort-laugh hot coffee through my nose. So bully for that.

Also my nose hurts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m in the right age bracket for WNUF. I think it’s a very good recreation of watching bad 80s tv news. But that’s kind of the problem. If it had been a 20 minute special I probably would have got a kick out of it but I was bored as all hell by the movie because nothing actually happens beyond the pastiche.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Ghostwatch is a cooler reality-bending TV horror thing to me, and Dude Bro Party Massacre III had snippets of ads that at times felt almost authentic in a clear joke manner, so I've seen it done a little better overall. It's a fun idea, I just wish it was stronger.

Oh, and Local58 exists and The Contingency may be one of the coolest horror shorts I've ever seen so there's that.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I’m in the right age bracket for WNUF. I think it’s a very good recreation of watching bad 80s tv news. But that’s kind of the problem. If it had been a 20 minute special I probably would have got a kick out of it but I was bored as all hell by the movie because nothing actually happens beyond the pastiche.

I thought they were going more towards Geraldo's Lost Capone Vaults. We'd see the live feed, something didn't go right and they'd cut away for something filler or to commercial rather than have everyone staring at a bunch of guys talking while waiting on some other guy to bring a different tool.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Why would we need more fake commercials when Cheddar Goblin exists

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

davidspackage posted:

Threw on the Pope's Exorcist. I'm already loving Russel Crowe getting his rear end chewed out by a council of superiors (or really just one unreasonably young guy).

Trip report: fun, though I'm a little saddened it treats the Exorcist as the blueprint for how a possession horror movie should go, as do many other exorcism movies.

Then it turns into a full on Stephen Sommers movie in the final act. Not bad.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Also every single sighting of Russell crammed onto his vespa is comedy gold.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It has a lot of good laughs. I don't know if I was supposed to laugh at the young priestimmediately trying to choke out the boy for ratting him out about his girlfriend, but I sure did laugh.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

davidspackage posted:

It has a lot of good laughs. I don't know if I was supposed to laugh at the young priestimmediately trying to choke out the boy for ratting him out about his girlfriend, but I sure did laugh.

Yeah you guys are posting in the wrong thread, Pope's Exorcist is pure comedy, not horror

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Saw Killer Condom and it was great. There should be more movies set in New York where no one speaks English. Luigi Mackeroni is an even better detective name than Gino Felino.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't know why but I watched the latest Blair Witch and haha what the gently caress.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I don't know why but I watched the latest Blair Witch and haha what the gently caress.

They really shouldn't've shown the witch.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There's a whole lot they shouldn't have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
That movie STANK.

Anyways trying to watch Murder Death Koreatown and the protag makes me deeply uncomfortable.