Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hatebag posted:

i found a couple crates with garbage in them and now I'm very worried that I've been missing out on garbage parts that I don't want/need

do you actually not want a chainsaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

do you actually not want a chainsaw

chainsaw?? no, i wanna chainsaw! i found bad head/legs

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
wait theres loot?????

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Al! posted:

wait theres loot?????

yes and some of it is even good

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

mother, and i cant state this enough, fucker

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

triple sulk posted:

honestly, if there's only one generally correct-ish build to beat a boss without torturing yourself endlessly, then they should just give you predefined loadouts at the mission start and put in the story as "we anticipate this kind of enemy and equipped you for it" and then allow a hard mode where you use whatever the hell you want for more cash or special items or whatever

yeah I played a bit and I'm with you. I need a game that does a bit more of showing me how to do what I'm supposed to do :/ "get close and use sword" doesn't really work when I don't get how to stay alive and also sometimes the chopper can just be outside the arena? and sometimes I just seem to be stuck in midair just hanging out and getting shot? oh well! too bad because the movement and such and feels awesome

the milk machine has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Aug 29, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Genuinely curious to see someone pull that off with the starting gear. It's nearly impossible to stun it without the sword, and stunning it is necessary to kill it without dying from various unavoidable damage that builds up over time. I think it might be possible to stun it with just your AR and rockets, but it'd be extremely difficult without also getting yourself owned (since you couldn't afford to stop shooting without losing your stun meter buildup).

It's a tutorial boss, it's not supposed to be hard. Also I assume they nerf it or something after you die to it once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaAPVM0CNDM

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Is it insane that I think it’s kinda cheating to change your mech build when you inevitably need to start again from a checkpoint?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

It's a tutorial boss, it's not supposed to be hard.

hmmm

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Is it insane that I think it’s kinda cheating to change your mech build when you inevitably need to start again from a checkpoint?
buddy…, there’s no such thing as cheating in a From game.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

wait theres loot?????

what the gently caress

is this for real

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Hatebag posted:

i found a couple crates with garbage in them and now I'm very worried that I've been missing out on garbage parts that I don't want/need

Wait. What the gently caress?!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

yes, it is insane

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

problem is people have become so dark souls brained. theres no punishment for dying and there are no permanent stats to worry about, so just change your build whenever

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Xaris posted:

buddy…, there’s no such thing as cheating in a From game.

Admittedly, the part of my brain that thinks this should be some realistic sim with loadout continuity from briefing to debriefing is the same part that gets stabbed with a pencil when I’m on my 37th attempt at killing the current boss du jour.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lmaoat everyone learning it is a looter shooter

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i get that it's a from game but these simple levels and the tempo of the game don't really work that well with scavenging for loot. it's kinda tedious and i don't really understand how the scanner works
at least it's not as bad as bayonetta 3 where if you want all the powerups you have to waste like 10 or 15 minutes exploring the simple and kind of boring levels

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
imo the one major, and maybe only, whiff of Sekiro is that they really should have reset (or not saved) your spirit emblems and consumables when you die and restart. they should just revert to your last save state

was pretty bullshit to blow some rare consumables and die to something stupid immediately and reload now not even having them

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Mr Hootington posted:

It’s a bloody mecha wrecker! >: (

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

imo the one major, and maybe only, whiff of Sekiro is that they really should have reset (or not saved) your spirit emblems and consumables when you die and restart. they should just revert to your last save state

was pretty bullshit to blow some rare consumables and die to something stupid immediately and reload now not even having them

im frankly enjoying that ac6 has that high intensity from software combat but the stakes of losing and runback are so much lower

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

It’s a bloody mecha wrecker! >: (

How is the cover system?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

im frankly enjoying that ac6 has that high intensity from software combat but the stakes of losing and runback are so much lower

yea it’s downright very generous. hell it even resets your estus flasks when reloading which is kinda insane

also I guess I’d say dragonrot was a minor whiff. didn’t really do anything and imo counter productive to the game

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

It's a tutorial boss, it's not supposed to be hard. Also I assume they nerf it or something after you die to it once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaAPVM0CNDM

Thanks for posting the video (since I was actually asking honestly and not rhetorically, it's interesting to see).

How did you reliably avoid its rockets? I tried hiding behind buildings, but they'd still hit me (and some seem to be delayed such that they hit you from weird angles a while after being fired).

Is there a tell for when he's about to fire them, and you go behind the building then? I notice the boss rarely seems to (visibly) fire them in the video, so I'm wondering if he's doing it when you're hiding yourself behind buildings.

Edit: What generally happened during my pre-sword attempts is that I'd be doing fine for a while, and then suddenly a bunch of rockets would blind-side me (and this only needs to happen a few times to kill you). I was never able to figure out how to prevent it, but there must be some way.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 00:40 on Aug 29, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Got lucky, maybe it doesn't shoot them out of bounds, who knows.

The only tell you get is the red warning squares that pop up, and you only have a couple of seconds to react. The first time I got hit there was just nowhere to hide and you're to slow to get underneath it, maybe flying into the air would have worked. The rest of the time it just decided to start shooting them when I was already behind the building.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hatebag posted:

i get that it's a from game but these simple levels and the tempo of the game don't really work that well with scavenging for loot. it's kinda tedious and i don't really understand how the scanner works
at least it's not as bad as bayonetta 3 where if you want all the powerups you have to waste like 10 or 15 minutes exploring the simple and kind of boring levels

look at the extended head part stats, they explain how the scanner works better than anything else in the game

actually just look at all of the extended stats and read all of the descriptions. the game hides some absolutely critical information by default. like it turns out that arms have specific weapon recoil thresholds that control their accuracy in addition to the firearm specialization stat and those 160 control arms have terrible recoil performance and ones with shittier specialization are actually better at shooting certain guns

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Some are sniper arms some are shooty arms.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

its very funny how many gamers are getting their asses kicked by the tutorial boss in AC6

all you had to do was hit it with the drat sword, CJ

standing in the way of all the missiles and complaining that the game is too hard

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yes. Fortnightmares is going to rock

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

look at the extended head part stats, they explain how the scanner works better than anything else in the game

actually just look at all of the extended stats and read all of the descriptions. the game hides some absolutely critical information by default. like it turns out that arms have specific weapon recoil thresholds that control their accuracy in addition to the firearm specialization stat and those 160 control arms have terrible recoil performance and ones with shittier specialization are actually better at shooting certain guns

what in the god drat hell?? I bought the 160 arms as soon as they were available lol. i guess they're probably good for 1-shot weapons that don't get recoil
i guess the scanner will probably become more important later when there's a lot of guys in cover

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

weak rear end goons want to play easymode fromsoft games, it’s disgusting

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

like it turns out that arms have specific weapon recoil thresholds that control their accuracy in addition to the firearm specialization stat and those 160 control arms have terrible recoil performance and ones with shittier specialization are actually better at shooting certain guns

wait, poo poo. i think i just bought those arms for my minigun guy. ill need to doublecheck the recoil stat

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hatebag posted:

what in the god drat hell?? I bought the 160 arms as soon as they were available lol. i guess they're probably good for 1-shot weapons that don't get recoil
i guess the scanner will probably become more important later when there's a lot of guys in cover

the scanner highlights part chests

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

love the boost kick
https://i.imgur.com/fXuOhau.mp4

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
are you telling me the player would be a robogod if it was a helicopter

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

the scanner highlights part chests

yeah i understand that and the good scanner head was like the 2nd thing i bought because of that and i was habitually scanning for awhile and not finding anything so i kinda stopped scanning then eventually i went down a wrong corridor and found my first chest. still haven't found a chest by scanning lol

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Palladium posted:

are you telling me the player would be a robogod if it was a helicopter

becoming a helicopter is extremely powerful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVZulu2-m-Y

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i keep losing companions in bg3 cause a quest legitimately breaks no fault of my own hours earlier that impacts the followers quests

larian tricked me into playing before definitive edition

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

I see a skeleton-themed, cliffside-kicking centric build in my future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what i dont get is if im supposed to sell and buy parts no consequence to make my mech why are they two separate menus it would be way better if i could just toggle the whole armory as either bought or in stock from one screen