Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Chuck_D posted:

My thoughts exactly. That's why this thread exists. :)

In other news, I solved my decal dilemma!

That name came out great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Vorenus posted:

Let me know if the sporadic not-done-yet images are getting annoying; I got most of the sight/viewer panels done with some kind of adhesive vinyl and I'm going to actually weather and finish this drat thing when I have the energy to look at it.
:justpost: Love seeing works in progress. It will let us put pressure on you to finish it, too.
Nice take on the lenses!

Chuck_D posted:

My thoughts exactly. That's why this thread exists. :)

In other news, I solved my decal dilemma!
Great work! That's a beautiful model. Hand cut stencil? It will be great to see it finished!

I finished the crap gun!
I chose an AK-47, subtly weathered.

I've also been building the Trumpeter Panzer 38. The build was fun and I can tell how far the Trumpeter toolings have come.
I screwed up the front plate so bad I had to cover it in some sandbags. Looking for a popsicle stick to whittle a plank to hold them on.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

That AK looks like it is fresh from long term storage and just into the hands of a conscript outside of Bakhmut.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Great looking crapgun!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

therunningman posted:

I finished the crap gun!
I chose an AK-47, subtly weathered.

That's above Bakhmut grade... still has it's top cover. :kiss:

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Thanks! I was inspired by a picture taken somewhere in Africa. It was an AK with half the rifle missing and the rest being pure rust, but supposedly functional still.
I deliberately used every shade of brown in my paint rack.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I started making a few twisted up rusty crap guns but a strike shut down my job and my access to paint :(

Maybe later this year I can finish them, right now I don’t wanna spend on my own materials

Overdude
Mar 8, 2013

Wanted to try a gloss surface for the first time. This poo poo's hard.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Overdude posted:

Wanted to try a gloss surface for the first time. This poo poo's hard.

Looks pretty good tbh. Is it just the paint or did you put clear on top of it.

Some paints like tamiyas spray lacquers will handle polishing and for a long time I'd use the same polish that I used on my actual car before I invested in tamiyas range of polishes

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I do love that pink. Is it a Tamiya rattle can by chance?

Overdude
Mar 8, 2013

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Looks pretty good tbh. Is it just the paint or did you put clear on top of it.

nitsuga posted:

I do love that pink. Is it a Tamiya rattle can by chance?

I airbrushed a couple of layers of Tamiyas X-17 pink, and a gloss coat. Should've probably wet sanded the layers a bit more thoroughly and thinned the paint more. Oh well. It was a learning experience. Maybe for the next car model some time after I've built a few tanks. Should probably check out Tamiyas Laquer paints for car models in the future.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

A second Roman legionary has been completed, this one from the Dacian campaign:

Fearless fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 31, 2023

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That is some great figure painting. Nice work, Fearless.

Here's what I've been working on. For Backlogust, I built an AMT Golf GTI kit for the second time. My first attempt being the first model I had built for many years. Here's a side by side:

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 1, 2023

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Ensign Expendable posted:

Motion carried! I hereby announce the Aliexpress Arsenal crapkit group build!

The rules are simple: build (and maybe even paint) a 1:6 scale weapon. You're not limited to AliExpress, but they offer a number of cheap and simple kits that you can spend time polishing and scribing or just lop it off the sprue and slap it together without as much as sanding. The choice is yours!

If you're going the AliExpress route, there is a huge variety of stores that sell these kits. The search term "4D Gun Puzzle" brings up a ton of options. I ordered from these guys, but there's no shortage stores that stock them. You can even get a pegboard to display your results.

Timeframe: since shipping is a crapshoot and someone might want to take the time to really polish their weapon, we can take some time with this. Let's aim to have our guns out by September 1st, 2023

It's September 1st, so the crapgun deadline is upon us! The crapguns are:

SVT-40

AK-47

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

It's September 1st, so the crapgun deadline is upon us! The crapguns are:

It was a lot of crappy fun! :downsgun:

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Fearless posted:

A second Roman legionary has been completed, this one from the Dacian campaign:

Fantastic! What is the scale?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The A-20G is done!

This was a really fun build as the kit is really well engineered outside of a few questionable decisions like molding the gunsight glass in grey plastic, and duplicating an engine piece that knocks the right engine out of alignment with the wing. Nothing insurmountable, and ultimately minor complaints that I'll take in stride since the rest of the kit is so nice.

As I've mentioned (likely ad nauseum), I'm a bigtime geek for SW Pacific gunships, so when HKM announced the A-20G in my favorite scale (1/32), I was super excited. I pre-ordered it and when it arrived, I cleared the bench to start working on it. After ~3 month, I can close the books on it. In order to do a Pacific aircraft, I had to scratch build wing bomb racks as well as learn how to print my own decals. In the end, it all turned out really well.

Build thread at the LSP Forums:
https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/97222-cry-hkm-a-20g-havoc-and-let-the-fly-the-decals-of-miniature-warplanes/

Build photos (350+ pics!)
https://postimg.cc/gallery/FJmDRnt

Final thread at LSP Forums:
https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/97965-a-20g-havoc-stinky-of-the-3rd-bomb-group-12th-bomb-squadron-new-guinea/

Final photo gallery:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/2vsC170

I also got my SW Pacific aircraft out for a group shot mainly to see how the A-20G and B-25J compared size wise.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

That is super cool. Looks amazing!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

That thing is gorgeous.

Goddamn.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

therunningman posted:

Fantastic! What is the scale?

54mm, he's about 2.5 inches tall.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Beautiful loving work man!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Thanks, everyone. Much appreciated. :love:

So, now that it's done, I'm turning my attention on what to do next and I kinda want to clean out my shelf of doom. How would you all feel about running a "clear the shelf of doom group build" between October 1st and the end of 2023? I've got a number of 1/35 armor and 1/32 aircraft kits that are just languishing and I bet this could help motivate me to knock out at least two or three of them.

What say you, fellow modelers?

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 4, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Chuck_D posted:

So, now that it's done, I'm turning my attention on what to do next and I kinda want to clean out my shelf of doom. How would you all feel about running a "clear the shelf of doom group build" between October 1st and the end of 2023? I've got a number of 1/35 armor and 1/32 aircraft kits that are just languishing and I bet this could help motivate me to knock out at least two or three of them.

I can't participate in this because I have an amazing amount of discipline and only ever have 2 kits at one time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Chuck_D posted:

The Gunpla thread has run Backlogust for the last few years and it's been a good time there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I would participate in Backtober.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Chuck_D posted:

The A-20G is done!

This was a really fun build as the kit is really well engineered outside of a few questionable decisions like molding the gunsight glass in grey plastic, and duplicating an engine piece that knocks the right engine out of alignment with the wing. Nothing insurmountable, and ultimately minor complaints that I'll take in stride since the rest of the kit is so nice.

As I've mentioned (likely ad nauseum), I'm a bigtime geek for SW Pacific gunships, so when HKM announced the A-20G in my favorite scale (1/32), I was super excited. I pre-ordered it and when it arrived, I cleared the bench to start working on it. After ~3 month, I can close the books on it. In order to do a Pacific aircraft, I had to scratch build wing bomb racks as well as learn how to print my own decals. In the end, it all turned out really well.

Straight in the mainline! That is an amazing build :vince:
Great photos! And thanks for sharing the build log, that stuff is like crack.

Chuck_D posted:

I'd love to participate, I have a couple of items I've stalled out on and it could be motivating!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Chuck_D your A-20 is gorgeous. The engines in particular look like they are just waiting to roar into life-- the entire build is fantastic, but they really leap out to me.

I am also interested in participating in Back-tober but I, too, do not have anything in my backlog that I intend to paint or work on (I have a 1/48 wooden Bounty in deep storage that I will eventually finish but that is a multi-month project not a four week one). I will pick something up tomorrow at the FLMS; they have a selection of Maschinen-Krieger kits and crew figures that caught my eye, and a 54mm Great War German field gun that also spoke to me.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 4, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fearless posted:

Chuck_D your A-20 is gorgeous. The engines in particular look like they are just waiting to roar into life-- the entire build is fantastic, but they really leap out to me.

I am also interested in participating in Back-tober but I, too, do not have anything in my backlog that I intend to paint or work on (I have a 1/48 wooden Bounty in deep storage that I will eventually finish but that is a multi-month project not a four week one). I will pick something up tomorrow at the FLMS; they have a selection of Maschinen-Krieger kits and crew figures that caught my eye, and a 54mm Great War German field gun that also spoke to me.

Keep in mind that the proposal for this thread is for Backtober to run through the end of December to actually give people the time to work and do something in that time period. For Gunpla, a month of fast-builds is pretty reasonable, but I think this thread getting a 3-month window makes way more sense.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’d be up for that with my 3 partial builds. There is a 4th but unless i source new decals it ain’t going anywhere cause I managed to peel them off with the masking I’d used yesterday

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm only a couple days late!

M4 Carbine and the MAC-10 SMG

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I've got a few shelf queens at various stages of needing painted that I could use some motivation to finish off so I'd be down with a group build.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Okay, so sounds like there's decent interest in the Backtober Fest group build. Here's what I'm thinking...

- On October 1st, post some "before" pics of your shelf of doom kits to declare your entry into the group build.
- Wrap up the projects by December 31st 2023 and post some "after" pics no later than January 6th.
- Based on my entirely subjective opinion as to which finished model I think is neatest, I'll throw a $10 Amazon gift card to the builder.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Chuck_D posted:

The A-20G is done!

I'm very impressed by the coloring/shading on the bomb bay and landing gear wells. Overall, a very impressive job!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Heres some stuff Tamiya will be announcing at the 61st annual All Japan Model show:
Static Model Products
◇ 1/700 JMSDF Defense Ship FFM-1 Mogami
◇ 1/48 Lockheed Martin® F-35®B Lightning Ⅱ®
◇ 1/48 Grumman FM-1 Wildcat/Martlet Mk.V™
◇ 1/48 British 2-Ton 4×2 Ambulance
◇ 1/35 German Tank Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf.F & Motorcycle Set “North Africa”
◇ 1/24 Toyota Celsior (UCF11) – re-issued product
◇ 1/12 Honda CX500 Turbo – re-issued product
◇ 1/12 Ducati Superleggera V4 (Finished Model)

Tools & Paints
◇ Chipping Liquid

I'm pretty interested in that chipping liquid. Also Tamiya wtf make a black primer already!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Every once in a while I get this thing off the shelf, open the box, stare at it for five minutes and then put it back on the shelf.

Maybe in October?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Another gun for my diorama, this time a MiniArt ZIS-3. In true MiniArt fashion, the kit is incredibly fiddly for no reason, although I managed to get it to go together without too many issues.

More pictures: https://imgur.com/a/5Xp7guE

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Unkempt posted:

Maybe in October?

Do it! Think of all the masking tape you'll get to use!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Every once in a while I get this thing off the shelf, open the box, stare at it for five minutes and then put it back on the shelf.

Maybe in October?
I keep picking up WWI planes at the store and then looking at the wire rigging, then putting them back down.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Another gun for my diorama, this time a MiniArt ZIS-3. In true MiniArt fashion, the kit is incredibly fiddly for no reason, although I managed to get it to go together without too many issues.

More pictures: https://imgur.com/a/5Xp7guE

To be fair, I find that a lot of split-trail artillery pieces make for very fiddly kits at 1/35 or smaller. Your ZIS looks great, and your work hides how much of a bastard it can be to get all the pieces of the carriage to align properly.

Unkempt posted:

Maybe in October?

I haven't done airplanes in many, many years but the colour scheme on that really speaks to me and the local model shop still has a bunch of Wingnut kits and oh gods what is happening...

Warmachine posted:

Keep in mind that the proposal for this thread is for Backtober to run through the end of December to actually give people the time to work and do something in that time period. For Gunpla, a month of fast-builds is pretty reasonable, but I think this thread getting a 3-month window makes way more sense.

Appreciated, but Bounty is more likely a year or so of building yet though I might sit down and work on some of the smaller fixtures like the four deck guns and the ship's boat (which is a miniature kit in its own right at 1/48 scale).

Fearless fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Fearless posted:

I haven't done airplanes in many, many years but the colour scheme on that really speaks to me and the local model shop still has a bunch of Wingnut kits and oh gods what is happening...

Wingnut did a 1/32 one of those which you can still find if you've got $250-300 to throw around. There's a video on Youtube of some guy building it (he really fucks up the paint job)