Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm still on the fence.. it's still a grand.. and super cool but I'm not making stuff to sell that much at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im $200 off from making $3000 in one week. seriously insane money compared to my actual day job, like wtf tabletop geeks (including me) love to spend money

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Your stuff is mostly painted, yeah?

I have a buddy who is also in the hobby biz, he says hobbies are pretty resilient. When things are good, people indulge in their hobbies. When things suck, well, they retreat into them. Either way they spend.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah I do painted stuff and non painted, I sell a gently caress ton of non painted things but also sold $730 worth of painted stuff last Friday to a veteran in the states looking to start DMing. ima hook him up with a ton of extra poo poo,.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

queeb posted:

im $200 off from making $3000 in one week. seriously insane money compared to my actual day job, like wtf tabletop geeks (including me) love to spend money

congrats man, that's awesome!

I think you and the other sellers here are the rare Etsy success stories.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Rad-daddio posted:

congrats man, that's awesome!

I think you and the other sellers here are the rare Etsy success stories.

Yeah I feel bad reading the Etsy subreddits cause it's tons of people posting how they had their first sale after 4 months or how to get more traction and I'm sitting here having made like 1500 sales and 50k in my first year with no idea what I'm doing and somehow accelerating

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I'm getting read to finally pull the trigger on a Bambu X1C, any reason to wait? They're not about to release the X2 or anything are they?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Sagebrush posted:

PLA, the default plastic you will use, either has no smell or smells mildly of sugar. Like a candy factory or maple syrup. I think it's pleasant.

PETG also either has no smell or is faintly reminiscent of the waxy odor of a candle after you've blown it out. It's not strong and not too bad.

ABS smells like melting plastic or burning rubber. It is sharp and unpleasant.

TPU has no smell, at least in the grades I've used.

Nearly every filament you use will have one of these four plastics as its base.

Resin printers are a whole other kettle of fish. The resin is both noxious and toxic, and opening the lid of the machine will rapidly fill the entire room with a nasty stink. Very different sort of workflow required.

Regardless of smells, I’m pretty sure it’s understood at this point that even FDM 3D printing is probably not great to be around due to PM2.5 emissions, regardless of filament?

As I posted recently, I found the last couple of times I printed PLA+ in my bedroom it irritated my nose/throat, and I’ve also noticed some kind of white residue collecting on the hot end carriage when printing PETG in the past, presumably due to something being off gassed in the process (I’ve only ever printed PETG in a separate well-ventilated room).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eh. i run my i3 in my office/study and it doesn't bother me.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Opinionated posted:

Also as someone who owns a MK3S+, MK4 and X1C I don't think I can realistically recommend the mk4 for a couple different reasons.

I bought a MK3S+ last fall, and I'm wondering how the new board/connectivity of the MK4 is and if it's worth the 3.5 upgrade kit vs setting up octoprint on a rpi3b+ I have sitting around

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Ok I promise this is my last question. How do I pick out a good spot to put my 3D printer? Keep in mind I ordered one with WiFi.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Viper915 posted:

I bought a MK3S+ last fall, and I'm wondering how the new board/connectivity of the MK4 is and if it's worth the 3.5 upgrade kit vs setting up octoprint on a rpi3b+ I have sitting around

The PrusaConnect/PrusaLink stuff is pretty dire, at least for now
Not worth the upgrade cost over a Raspi

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

kid sinister posted:

Ok I promise this is my last question. How do I pick out a good spot to put my 3D printer? Keep in mind I ordered one with WiFi.

Anywhere with decent wifi, a table that isn't super shaky, and is big enough to put a 24x24 paving stone on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kid sinister posted:

it has to be big enough for the 3d printer. and it can't already be occupied by something else.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If it’s occupied by something else then you could just move that thing to another location.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Anywhere with decent wifi, a table that isn't super shaky, and is big enough to put a 24x24 paving stone on.

That's what I was getting at. I'll find a shelf in the basement that's sturdy. Maybe on top of my 4 drawer file cabinet. Thing's all steel and sturdy as gently caress. It was a bitch getting it down there in the first place.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Regardless of smells, I’m pretty sure it’s understood at this point that even FDM 3D printing is probably not great to be around due to PM2.5 emissions, regardless of filament?

As I posted recently, I found the last couple of times I printed PLA+ in my bedroom it irritated my nose/throat, and I’ve also noticed some kind of white residue collecting on the hot end carriage when printing PETG in the past, presumably due to something being off gassed in the process (I’ve only ever printed PETG in a separate well-ventilated room).

Correct. There is no "safe" filament, but there are "safer" filaments like PLA. Straight PLA doesn't emit much in the way of toxic gasses, but still increases pm2.5 counts to a meaningful level. Is it hazardous? Probably not, but it's also not recommended breath it long term.

All filaments have different additives between manufacturers though, even PLA, so your brand may vary. PLA+ can be whatever the heck they want it to be. Probably best treated as toxic.

I mean poo poo compare these to ABS & ASA where Styrene is the S. You do not want to be breathing that.

This article is from 2016, but did have a pretty good overview of the gasses emit from a few common brands at the time. It did not seem to cover particulate though, only gasses. https://hackaday.com/2016/02/01/3d-printing-fumes-new-science/

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man one thing I love about the p1p, or i guess any printer like it is it not being a bed slinger, man you save so much room

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah I always want to move my Prusa back on the table but if I do that it crashes into the wall and it tends to get upset about that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Talorat posted:

I'm getting read to finally pull the trigger on a Bambu X1C, any reason to wait? They're not about to release the X2 or anything are they?

There's always gonna be rumors but there is nothing close to official about a new model coming anytime soon. Buy it and enjoy!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

queeb posted:

man one thing I love about the p1p, or i guess any printer like it is it not being a bed slinger, man you save so much room

I feel like bed slingers and bowden extruders got pushed hard, bc of their speed or something, but I always had way less fuss with the core xy machine and direct drive extruders.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Rad-daddio posted:

I feel like bed slingers and bowden extruders got pushed hard, bc of their speed or something, but I always had way less fuss with the core xy machine and direct drive extruders.

Bed slingers are never going to be faster than something that slings a toolhead around. What they are is simpler.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, that's the only thing that I have a bit of a problem with about i3 Prusas. Moving the bed works just fine for low speed devices like a CNC mill, which is the model the earliest 3D printers were copying. But 3D printers are fundamentally different from a mill. They want to move quickly, they have next to zero tool load, they work with relatively soft and flexible materials, and they don't have vises clamping the workpiece in place. This means that a bedslinger can't move as fast as the FDM process allows, and constantly moving the part theoretically increases the chance of wobbles, distortion, and break-offs. Keeping the bed stable and whipping the head around above it just makes more sense given the qualities of the process.

Prusa i3s are still great machines that work fine, but if they took all their technology and put it in a corexy frame I think they would be perfect.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 30, 2023

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Prusa i3s are still great machines that work fine, but if they took all their technology and put it in a corexy frame I think they would be perfect.

They did

https://www.prusa3d.com/product/original-prusa-xl-2/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i know about the xl, please see my post history

i mean they should make a regular size single-extruder corexy to replace the i3 series eventually. use the same beds, extruder, electronics, etc. just a different mechanical configuration.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

w00tmonger posted:

This all said it's annoyed ng that it doesn't take cardboard spools without a bit of work.

Try to go with cardboard whenever I can, but now I need to hotglue plastic rims on any of my new rolls and it's a hassle

I printed some PETG spools and adapters and just rip the flanges off the cardboard ones. It's way more reliable given how often the rims don't actually catch or the cardboard spools end up being too large for the AMS to close.

Sagebrush posted:

i know about the xl, please see my post history

i mean they should make a regular size single-extruder corexy to replace the i3 series eventually. use the same beds, extruder, electronics, etc. just a different mechanical configuration.

Just call it the Prusa M at that point, and it's both a good idea and would cost twice what a Bambu does for nebulous reasons.

It's really hard to underestimate how much the established printer manufacturers spit the bit. They all pretty much deserve to go under for sitting fat and happy for so long, it's amazing (and while I have a Bambu I do think the company sucks and want a viable alternative!).

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 30, 2023

mewse
May 2, 2006

tracecomplete posted:

Just call it the Prusa M at that point

The M stands for CoreXY

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sagebrush posted:

Core xy printers are a bit of magic. From a mechanical point of view, they're the diagonal square that fits inside a big x-y frame. It's a clever implementation. It's also, complex. It's complex to explain. Complex to interpret what's going on. Complex to troubleshoot. They also take up a lot of room where "things" are going on. The compact packaging is their own downfall. Also, there's so many more moving parts, many idler bearings, long belt paths, etc.

Bedslingers have everything out in the open. It's obvious. There's no "A and B" motor that have to coordinate. X and Y just.. maps to X and Y. It's also a much easier frame to build. There's less material. The linear bed rails also supports the bed better than if it were on a bunch of rails and a shelf. Being spread out, and in the open, maintenance is easy, there's room for tools, you can do "things" to it, without needing to remove major components.

Taking the I3, and in some facinful world, making it a core x-y printer, would break a lot of what makes it the universal "good idea" printer.

That, and there are Core XY printers that are in the same price range, already. With similar/same features.

(Of note, my two main printers are CoreXY)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah my buddy has a very expensive prusa and regrets it now that he's checked out my p1ps

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Not to fault the quality of Prusa or anything but yeah the pricing of the Bambu printers has hopefully lit a fire under their rear end.

Not even talking about the moral imperative to support Prusa because 90% of bed slingers are i3 clones, the value proposition of a Prusa is just getting worse.

But in the end it's hopefully a good thing for us users of 3d printers.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 30, 2023

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I've had a coreXY machine for nearly a year and still don't understand the math. It Just Works. (Please do not look at my resonance graphs)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

iiidmax is running their usualy holiday sale. 10% off their bundle packs. A 30 pack of PLA comes out to $9.89/roll.

Code is LABORDAY

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've been preaching CoreXY for years, but the Prusa crowd went "We don't need speed and no one needs anything bigger than a Prusa Mini".

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
prussia is reliable, and the first thing support will tell you to do is turn the speed down.

bambu build a good machine where you can actually get 10k accel from (they advertise 20k accel, but all the profiles max at 10k)
They have also been slightly lowering speeds towards quality as well.

People that know, know how to tune bambu and any other printer to get what they want out of it. There are still people crowding bambu forums just like ender, etc with a picture of a blob of goo and asking what fixes that? To be fair, creality expects you to crowdsource an answer, bambu labs is billing itself as '15 unbox to print' and it just works ... so somewhat understandable.

Should we be looking at the K1 again? If creality has the parts for a solid corexy that can run quick, AND it takes stock klipper. this could eat the hole bambu left in the larger printer crowd. Everything i read about it up until now was suspect open source stealing and the parts being substandard, but i think they came around ?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm tempted to see if they do a V2 like they did with the Ender series that basically addressed most of the major problems, but they very well might not if the K1 V1 never sells because Bambu is absolutely eating their lunch :shrug:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

I'm tempted to see if they do a V2 like they did with the Ender series that basically addressed most of the major problems, but they very well might not if the K1 V1 never sells because Bambu is absolutely eating their lunch :shrug:

Yeah for the same Dollars you get an ams... And a slightly littler print capacity.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

And I came from a mini and a few neos so the bambu print area is fuckin luxurious

A4 Steak Sauce
May 9, 2016

Here4DaGangBang posted:

You probably should avoid driving and sitting around campfires, it's in those emissions too, and in higher dosages. We all die, so what's the point in worrying?

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Viper915 posted:

I agree with Sockser, it's not that great right now. The transfer speeds even through wired ethernet are extremely slow. Like 10 minutes for a larger print file to upload via wifi that would take seconds over my octoprint wifi setups.

I could see it being decent one day maybe, but it really feels far behind octoprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What's the best slicer to use in 2023? OP hasn't been updated in a year and a half.