Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

... so manually unload the second pallet to behind the first pallet so the first ones still wrapped and a bit weather tight. I can already envisage asking the plasterers to start with the behind pallet only to be ignored and really wind myself up. Maybe it wont happen and only a silly a little nothing thing but of course it will happen.

Stack some scrap on the wrapped one, so it's easier for them to grab the behind bags. Water flows downhill. (you just like getting wound up don't you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol.

Not sure what sunburned part of your body you're displaying there, hope it's not a macro shot of your bellend

I'm guessing lower back on the grounds I think I can make out a proto-arsecrack.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
M. Night Shaymalan worthy twist at the end there

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hope you have some cover plates to protect your precious sockets from the plastering brutes. They'd plaster the loving windows if they could.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Look on the bright side.

When you've finished this house and immediately decide you don't like it and want to sell it, think about how much your experience from this house build will help you with the next one.

Just try not to also think about the crippling loss you'll take from the sale.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 29, 2023

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Time is now getting tight as the plasterers have said start midweek... which is like tomorrow, although admittedly it isnt quite today yet where we are, yet. but still... gently caress
I remember the day I had my windows done. I was ready with the exception of one, I asked if they could do it last. Made a hole and had it all framed out by the time they got to it. Probably would have been easier if the walls were made out of rice cakes.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That's a pretty nasty sunburn. If I had access to universal healthcare, I'd probably get that checked out. I don't though, so I'd probably skip the aloe and go straight to Bag Balm, a product intended to help livestock with chapped udders and is approved for veterinary use only.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or just rub some mud on it and walk it off.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Dysgenesis posted:

I'm guessing lower back on the grounds I think I can make out a proto-arsecrack.

I think it's a shoulder? And he pulled his shirt down to take the pic? Makes no sense otherwise.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
At this point I’m not sure what the hell is happening. I came for the break room, I stayed for the replacing an engine because the radiator leaked, now I’m just waiting to see what happens

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
What's the odds of the plasterers not turning up next week either?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I can already envisage asking the plasterers to start with the behind pallet only to be ignored and really wind myself up. Maybe it wont happen and only a silly a little nothing thing but of course it will happen.

Plasterer will ask you where the plaster is, you'll tell him it's in the car port and start to explain about taking from the back but they will have already stopped listening

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Put a tarp over the front pallet, plasterers don't have object permanency

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This subforum must be active enough to keep an entire crew of skilled tradespeople employed. Why is there no Goonswork.co.uk?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So lol then text with plasterer and we need door linings in first? before they can plaster? wtf lol? actually maybe someone said this oh dear why did I go on holiday? Its now bank holiday and can't get door linings until tuesday. After which I'm sure my skills will be more than equal to quickly and easily installing them all in a day.

It's true, sorry to say. They have to have something solid to plaster up to. Otherwise you'd need to put corner beads on.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

but I did not think about door height as I didn't think I had to. The builders put in normal door apertures they assured me

What height openings did they leave you with?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

O h yeah and prime/seal them too as apparently otherwise they'll soak up all the moisture of the plasdter and bend all over the shop and be totally worthless and need replacing amazing ok thx

That explains a lot, actually.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Anyway last thing today plasterer texts back to say they won't come till next week now.

Maybe it's personal cynicism but I saw this one coming.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
You could've put those big emergency exit signs over every door, you already have the wiring and backup power sorted

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CancerCakes posted:

Put a tarp over the front pallet, plasterers don't have object permanency

This, if for some reason you can't move the front pallet out of the way when the plasterers come.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Put it on top of the break container. Clearly it is invisible to tradesmen.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

To be fair if you're going to put a tarp over the front pallet you might as well put it over the back pallet instead since that'll do the same job as the plastic wrap on the front pallet, right?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Slow n steady mate

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaded Burnout posted:

Maybe it's personal cynicism but I saw this one coming.
Same but I still enjoyed the payoff. Great use of dramatic irony where our protagonist is oblivious to the inevitable let-down the reader knows is coming.

Cat Hatter posted:

That's a pretty nasty sunburn. If I had access to universal healthcare, I'd probably get that checked out. I don't though, so I'd probably skip the aloe and go straight to Bag Balm, a product intended to help livestock with chapped udders and is approved for veterinary use only.
I've never tried it on sunburn but Bag Balm is a miracle ointment for every other skin ailment in humans and animals so it's definitely worth a try.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just slap on some plaster.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

big scary monsters posted:

I've never tried it on sunburn but Bag Balm is a miracle ointment for every other skin ailment in humans and animals so it's definitely worth a try.

Even when I was a lifeguard I never had a sunburn that was too bad for aloe, but I've had good results putting Bag Balm on chemical burns before.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

goatface posted:

Just slap on some plaster.

it's extra funny becuase the brits also refer to band-aids as plasters, for unfathomable reasons

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’m sure you could fathom it if you tried.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Because band-aid sounds like a benefit concert.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

goatface posted:

Because band-aid sounds like a benefit concert.

Technically all concerts are benefit concerts for the band(s) performing, so it fits.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

it's extra funny becuase the brits also refer to band-aids as plasters, for unfathomable reasons

The people NJAN99 hired are going to show up next week and apply poultices to the L instead of plaster.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So long as it achieves decent air tightness I'm fine with it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’m sure you could fathom it if you tried.

why would you put plaster on a cut? a band-aid, as in a small adhesive bandage, is not for broken bones

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Expecting logic from english

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I'm doing work, a "plaster" is almost anything adhesive used to hold itself or anything else in contact with a body tissue; adhesive absorbent dressings and bone setting plaster are just subsets of that.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

why would you put plaster on a cut? a band-aid, as in a small adhesive bandage, is not for broken bones

Band-aid is just a brand name for sticking plasters, invented in the mid-1800s, which is what americans also called them before the brand "band-aid" came along in the 1920s. As usual it's from Latin, emplastrum, meaning "bandage". You could've googled this.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

You could've googled this.

Much easier to let the plasterer explain it though ↓

goatface posted:

If I'm doing work, a "plaster" is almost anything adhesive used to hold itself or anything else in contact with a body tissue; adhesive absorbent dressings and bone setting plaster are just subsets of that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kindly stop deflating my snooty dismissal of quaint british terms by citing facts etc.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Americans: *does something different*
~later~
Americans: lol why are you doing something different

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaded Burnout posted:

Americans: *does something different*
~later~
Americans: lol why are you doing something different

Brits do this too, like with "aluminum" but they act extra snooty about it, even though Britain is a really really tiny fraction of the global Anglophone population and most of them speak it stupidly

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

Look on the bright side.

When you've finished this house and immediately decide you don't like it and want to sell it, think about how much your experience from this house build will help you with the next one.

It will not help him one iota.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Look guys, I could care less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

association football

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Look guys, I could care less.