Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

(steps up to the well, unzips her jeans, pulls out the SheWee)

Sigh. What a page snipe. That was a response to nunsexmonkrock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Motronic posted:

This I can do. I can even put them in the dehydrator if that helps.
A dehydrator probably wouldn't hurt, but unless your environment is super humid and mould-prone I wouldn't worry about it. When they're close to ripe the outer part of the peppercorns is already pretty leathery, like a citrus peel only thinner and dryer.

I usually just harvest the clusters of peppercorns, trim the stems, and then leave them in an uncovered delitainer on the counter until they finish opening, then sort through them to separate out the seeds. Which I then try and fail to germinate.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Motronic posted:

lol noted and thank you. I didn't think these thing were that spicy.

They aren’t spicy. They’re numbing. Either way, you don’t need the dehydrator. Just stick them in a dry place and they’ll do it on their own.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SubG posted:

A dehydrator probably wouldn't hurt, but unless your environment is super humid and mould-prone I wouldn't worry about it.

Lol southeastern PA Delaware river valley. But I can also just bring them inside where we have air conditioning.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Jaguars! posted:

I also have some chives that died over winter, should I remove them or hope that they seeded/ sow some more in the bare patches?

I live in 7b and had chives in a railing container a couple years ago. I was certain they had died but sure enough they keep popping up 2-3 years later despite my ignoring them. Anyway they may very well come back in the spring

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
They're apparently pressure washing and painting the building tomorrow and said I need to move everything off the balcony, but there's no way I can move the pepper garden. I think I'm just going to make a big bubble around the plants with a plastic dust cover and tape in the morning. What crappy timing now that I have dozens of fruit ripening. :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I just need a new hobby to keep myself entertaind other than playing Resident Evil Village or Journeyman Project and SpaceQuest.

I put the lime seed in this thingy and poke some holes into the bottom and around the bottom edges since from what I read if it is over watered the leaves will fall off and if it is underwatered the leaves will fall off too lol.

And since it is kinda cardboard I can just put it into a larger pot and the roots will emerge from it - from what I read - but I am always wrong with these things.

The "Jiffy pots just dissolve" is a lie ime.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sure they do, in about 6 years

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

If you're 12 years old, putting a bunch of of the habaneros from the garden in a dehydrator is a great way to make your parents have take you out to pizza that night

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

CommonShore posted:

The "Jiffy pots just dissolve" is a lie ime.

see this is why I have a brown thumb - I don't know these things - I guess maybe on paper it is supposed to work. I guess once the lime sprouts I should just remove the outside and put it into a a large pot?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

maybe it is the definition of brown thumb but it just sounds more like not doing due diligence of proper initial research before buying or diving into something to me, although i'm definitely in the more neurotic over research camp and i still have tons of worries and mess ups

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Bad Munki posted:

It’s true but growing ferns from spores is actually kinda rad! Did you know fern sperm is motile? They actually have lil swimmers, that seems so wild to me.

I had my father in-law collect a few…fronds? And send them my way. That was in the fall one year, I promptly forgot about them in an envelope in the garage all winter.

Come spring, I came across them, so I figured why not. Was able to get waaaaay more spores than I needed.

I sprinkled those liberally over some seed starting cells with sterilized dirt, put blocks of them in old (washed) bread bags, tucked them into a calm, poorly lit part of my living room greenhouse…and then ignored them for like six months while they grew a lush carpet of gametophytes.

At some point, I pulled the blocks of cells out of their sealed bags and moved them to a try with a lid to try to encourage actual maturation.

Tucked that back into the greenhouse and then promptly forgot about it for about a year. Literally, a year. I think I remembered to water it like once. It was mostly sealed, but not perfectly, so while the ferns did start to actually grow, the moisture in the little habitat slowly dwindled and they started to die off a bit. If only I’d realized a bit sooner.

Anyhow, pulled them out of there, teased ‘em apart, and moved the survivors to marginally larger pots.

They lived in those through the rest of winter, occasionally being further neglected and abused. Come spring, we started putting them into proper homes, and now we have self-managing arrangements like this about the yard:

I forget what those flowers are, but they’ve been blooming for like five months straight now. So between those, the ferns, and automatic watering, we have this amazing absolutely hands-off arrangement that looks incredible, and all it took was like two years of neglect!

This is a rad fernpost.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hey folks. I'm looking at options for completely murdering a small area of tall grass and other grabby vine plants outside my house. This area will eventually be paved over, but for now the greenery is out of control.

The area will never be used for planting so I don't mind what happens to the soil, but since it's out front it might be visited by neighbourhood cats, maybe the occasional other animal that I don't want to poison.

What's the best chemical approach here? If there is one.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hey folks. I'm looking at options for completely murdering a small area of tall grass and other grabby vine plants outside my house. This area will eventually be paved over, but for now the greenery is out of control.

The area will never be used for planting so I don't mind what happens to the soil, but since it's out front it might be visited by neighbourhood cats, maybe the occasional other animal that I don't want to poison.

Glyphosate.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, roundup. You can also get it with other additives that will serve to keep things dead there for like a year, I think that’s usually some sort of salt or something. Barrier is one brand I’ve used in the past on the gravel driveway. In either case, but it in concentrate and get a cheap pump sprayer, costs vastly less. Just be sure to mark that sprayer as permanently contaminated and don’t ever ever ever use it on something you want to live.

Which reminds me, I need to go spray the driveway, been ignoring it for several years and it’s been greening up a little too nicely.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 30, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Futaba Anzu posted:

maybe it is the definition of brown thumb but it just sounds more like not doing due diligence of proper initial research before buying or diving into something to me, although i'm definitely in the more neurotic over research camp and i still have tons of worries and mess ups

“brown thumb” = “deliberately doing poo poo wrong and against advice because lol”

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, roundup. You can also get it with other additives that will serve to keep things dead there for like a year, I think that’s usually some sort of salt or something. Barrier is one brand I’ve used in the past on the gravel driveway. In either case, but it in concentrate and get a cheap pump sprayer, costs vastly less. Just be sure to mark that sprayer as permanently contaminated and don’t ever ever ever use it on something you want to live.

Which reminds me, I need to go spray the driveway, been ignoring it for several years and it’s been greening up a little too nicely.

Quite hard to find in most home stores, it looks like they’ve mostly phased it out in favour of some where “no glyphosate” is a selling point.

Managed to track some down. I do have a sprayer but it was weirdly expensive so rather than taint that further (I used it for brick sealant) I bought a bottle that had a sprayer built in.

Thanks!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If you have any sort of farm supply place instead of, like, Target or whatever, they’ll have it in a variety of formats. Fleet Farm, Tractor Supply, etc. are the Midwest variants. Basically anywhere you can buy electric fence supplies off the shelf on one aisle, and a trash pump on the next aisle. 🤣

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

If you have any sort of farm supply place instead of, like, Target or whatever, they’ll have it in a variety of formats. Fleet Farm, Tractor Supply, etc. are the Midwest variants. Basically anywhere you can buy electric fence supplies off the shelf on one aisle, and a trash pump on the next aisle. 🤣

Yeah sorry forgot the keyword UK! I found some in the end though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You can't buy glyphosate in the EU without a license for professional use, and the UK is on that path as well. They're currently on a brexit related extension that will probably run out in 2025. Manufacturers haven't waited for that to happen. That's why they have a hard time finding it in regular stores. It's been mostly replaced with glyphosate-free roundup, which is diluted acetic acid and doesn't work at all and products with pelargonic acid that work better but are still nowhere near as good as glyphosate at killing plants. It really sucks.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Motronic posted:

I already tried this yesterday. I mean, it's the classic south philly tree to have and to light.

I started the summer with 2 fig cuttings, now I have 3 will have 4 fig trees once I sever an in-process air layer and I am already making a shopping list for fall cuttings :shepface:

I'm starting to understand how people end up with dozens of the things.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I just need a new hobby to keep myself entertaind other than playing Resident Evil Village or Journeyman Project and SpaceQuest..

If "planting seeds" is the part of the hobby you think you would like, look into annual wildflowers or vegetable gardening where you get to do that every year (or multiple times!). If you want caring for fruit trees to be your hobby, get a grafted fruit tree because it's still a tree, and I'm not sure what you would be missing out on?

Spending 5-10 years growing a "lime" tree, excitedly watching the first fruit form, dreaming of the day you get to taste your first home grow fruit, wondering why it looks so hosed up, but eagerly cutting your first slice only to find it's 70% rind sounds like a weird idea of a good time.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Trust me on this: do not use your dehydrator on spicy things. Imagine the smell of dropping Szechuan peppercorns into a hot wok. Now imagine that intense nose-prickling smell permeating your house. For hours.

My husband once dehydrated ghost peppers. It has been years, and we have finally progressed to the point that I am willing to read the notes he slides under the bedroom door.

I dehydrate my peppers ever year lol, including ghost peppers for the past 5(?) years. Most peppers are fine, but you get more capsaicin in the air if you have to split peppers or cut the ends off for them to dry properly. Still, its fine with a window or two open. Way less problematic than cooking or pureeing ghost peppers, which requires eye and breathing protection unless you have amazing ventilation or are working outside.

The biggest issue is just with cross contamination of chili oils if you have to split open peppers before drying, so there you have to be careful.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

why not just cover the area with cardboard/plastic/junk plywood until the grass dies? if you're worried about chemical safety this is extremely low effort

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slanderer posted:

why not just cover the area with cardboard/plastic/junk plywood until the grass dies? if you're worried about chemical safety this is extremely low effort

There is no chemical safety issue of the type they are concerned with with glyphosate within 15 minutes of proper application. Also, solarizing can take multiple seasons to work depending on what's growing. Especially for things with tap roots or rhyzomes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also it's right next to the street, a bit of a weird shape, and some of it has vehicles parked on, so it would be an ongoing hassle to keep it intact and in place vs spraying it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Slanderer posted:

I dehydrate my peppers ever year lol, including ghost peppers for the past 5(?) years. Most peppers are fine, but you get more capsaicin in the air if you have to split peppers or cut the ends off for them to dry properly. Still, its fine with a window or two open. Way less problematic than cooking or pureeing ghost peppers, which requires eye and breathing protection unless you have amazing ventilation or are working outside.

Well, we dehydrated them sliced, so that makes sense. Had to move the dehydrator out to the deck.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Slanderer posted:

The biggest issue is just with cross contamination of chili oils if you have to split open peppers before drying, so there you have to be careful.
I've never had any problems with drying peppers, occasionally have problems with cooking with super-hots (like most of the time it's okay but then every once in a while it's like getting gassed at a protest), but every single time I dry roast the fuckers (to make powder) it's fuckin' death.

I regularly make hab powder to use in dry rub and that's the pepper-related thing that gets me to put on protective gear every time.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah my habaneros smelled really strongly when split in half and dehydrated at ~110 degrees or whatever, but they didn't put much capsaicin into the air or bother me like frying them would. but i know habs are nothing compared to some of the super hots people do

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SubG posted:

I've never had any problems with drying peppers, occasionally have problems with cooking with super-hots (like most of the time it's okay but then every once in a while it's like getting gassed at a protest), but every single time I dry roast the fuckers (to make powder) it's fuckin' death.

I regularly make hab powder to use in dry rub and that's the pepper-related thing that gets me to put on protective gear every time.

Yeah, when I'm doing oven drying or hot sauce blending I will put on a p100 respirator and wear goggles because I will inevitably stick my head straight over the blender right after I turned it off. Same with grinding the powders.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

nunsexmonkrock posted:

see this is why I have a brown thumb - I don't know these things - I guess maybe on paper it is supposed to work. I guess once the lime sprouts I should just remove the outside and put it into a a large pot?

So you're still going to try and grow it from seed? To be clear the lime is going to have the same problem as the lemon you mentioned first.

This isn't a brown thumb issue, it's actively ignoring advice to not grow citrus from seed from multiple people in this thread.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

the milk machine posted:

I live in 7b and had chives in a railing container a couple years ago. I was certain they had died but sure enough they keep popping up 2-3 years later despite my ignoring them. Anyway they may very well come back in the spring

Thanks for the reply. It seems to already be paying dividends - there are two or three shoots coming up through the dead stuff already!

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

The melons and squash I intended to plant

...the random vines that appeared in my compost pile

Insanity.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Squash rules.

If I ever get too old to move around well in the garden I'll just chuck tomato and squash seeds in there and still get a harvest with no effort expended.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

Squash rules.

If I ever get too old to move around well in the garden I'll just chuck tomato and squash seeds in there and still get a harvest with no effort expended.
Man, I envy you. When I lived in the Midwest, in a house that had been the farmhouse around which the '50s development had been built, we would have volunteer tomato seedlings springing up in places that looked very much like somebody had dropped a tomato on the way back from picking it the previous year. Good deep farm soil was good.

Everywhere else I have lived, tomatoes were work.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Man, I envy you. When I lived in the Midwest, in a house that had been the farmhouse around which the '50s development had been built, we would have volunteer tomato seedlings springing up in places that looked very much like somebody had dropped a tomato on the way back from picking it the previous year. Good deep farm soil was good.

Everywhere else I have lived, tomatoes were work.

To be clear, I mostly mean sun golds, which are a delicious tentacle monster. I've had volunteers all season in my pepper bed which was formerly a tomato bed last year.

My amish pastes and san marz need a little more pampering, though not overly much.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

That's weird, what do the volunteers from the sungolds taste/ look like? They're an f1 hybrid so they shouldn't be true to seed.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Also curious about this because I'm gonna have hella Sungold volunteers next year

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What kind of fertilizer might be best for daikon and turnips?

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Nthing the, "don't grow citrus or avocado from seeds." Buying citrus seeds are scams I also fell for until I learned what grafting was and how rootstocks worked (mostly thanks to One Green World, who lists which rootstock they use for their trees). Hell, I've bought seeds from a store that, when I wondered why nothing was sprouting, they had shut down (and probably reopened with a different name). Also the seeds looked like someone spit them out. Yuck.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
Speaking of avocado, I just planted my first fruit trees ever - a Hass avocado and a Bacon avocado.

Have been neglecting my backyard for too long so have done a little bit of research and settled on 2 avocado trees and 3 lemon guava plants; two of which are in pots.

If they don’t die I’ll post an update in 5 years once I start getting some fruit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

sexy tiger boobs posted:

That's weird, what do the volunteers from the sungolds taste/ look like? They're an f1 hybrid so they shouldn't be true to seed.

they're like a muted red version of super sweet 100 -- don't quite ascend to the tangy heights of proper sungolds, but... hey, they take care of themselves

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 3, 2023