Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I was looking at this kitbash between schwarzette and barbatos:
https://twitter.com/Nirlet_/status/1685954700787716097

Does anyone know what he's using to extend the limbs? And also what that middle piece is connecting the torso frame with the hips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
part of my brain is telling me that looks computer generated

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, the cylinders on the arms don't look distinct enough to be from anything as far as I can tell. Could be easily be a scratchbuilt piece, though how they extended the underlying arm structure is a mystery because you just can't see. For the legs, it looks like they made spacers and placed them between where the leg joint goes into the thighs and it looks like the standard Schwarzette is just a long peg into a hole, so depending on the holding strength of the hole there might not even need to be much do there.

No clue on the lower torso piece.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
With my inexpert eye it looks like it might be a modified barbatos crotch or something plugging into the groin of the schwarzette proper? There's like six loving barbatos kits but they're basically just pipes where you plug in the side bits and the front plate, and then the spinal bit with the tubes ball joints in and it has a hook to connect to the torso. No clue what it's using for the like, crotch plate (possibly a barbatos assplate?) there but it looks like they just shoved some vents or something instead of the intended skirts for the side bits.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

JoeGlassJAw posted:

The Hobbytowns near me are showing Calibarn in stock, I'm going to check my local store this afternoon. Not sure if you're in the US or located near one but it could be worth checking!

update: they did not have it! i actually was out of town two days ago and checked that city's hobbytown as well because they also said they have it in stock and they did not so i would not take their website as reliable on this one after all. the associates at both stores were surprised it was showing in stock

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DeltyThe73rd/status/1696460561389899805?t=x-2LHN3hosO7w4TypondZw&s=19

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

wdarkk posted:

These WfM kits are pretty straightforward.

Next up is the HG G-Defenser & Flyingarmor. Apparently that's how Bandai wants to spell it. It's another addon kit that comes in a standard-size HG box and its manual is longer than the Ur's.

That Flyingarmor is pretty dang big, and they came with a bazillion decals (I guess since you can also use them with the RG Mk II). Mostly a fun build although the Flyingarmor takes a surprising amount of force to come together.

I'll wait to see if my shipment shows up to determine what I build next.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
It's not Gundam, but I definitely see the Breaker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJoFDsuTIOE

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

It's not Gundam, but I definitely see the Breaker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJoFDsuTIOE

That thumbnail has a mech with the most clashing art style I've ever seen in a video game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

wdarkk posted:

That thumbnail has a mech with the most clashing art style I've ever seen in a video game.

yeah that's the bare legged bot. In the trailer there's also the commuter bot, which is just a commuter train with a Gundam head and a gun

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hey you! Yes, you!!

Are you tired of being a scrawny little twerp??

Do you want to have sweet gains like these too??

Ah but I can already hear the excuses! You don't have the time, the money or the grit...right?

Well worry not because Uncle Swole is here to tell you how even you can do it!!!

Are you ready to hear the secret that Big Swole wants to hide from you???

It's nanomachines!!!!

NANOMACHINES, SON!!!!! *bang*bang*bang*

:siren: Call 1-800-NANOSWOLE now to sign up for your first month of injections with a discount as big as Uncle Swole's gains!! :siren:

Side effects may include being too swole and becoming the storm that is approaching with no rules of nature

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 29, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Hey you! Yes, you!!

Ah but I can already hear the excuses! You don't have the time, the money or the grit...right?

Well worry not because Uncle Swole is here to tell you how even you can do it!!!

It's nanomachines!!!!

:siren: Call 1-800-NANOSWOLE now to sign up for your first month of injections with a discount as big as Uncle Swole's gains!! :siren:

Side effects may include being too swole and becoming the storm that is approaching with no rules of nature

Goddamn. :five:

Private Goofus should listen to Uncle Swole.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Current project:

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Moai Ou posted:

Gonna try to squeeze another one of these in for the month:

Gonna have to cut & sand a whole lightbar off the roof of the car for who I want to paint.

It's done! And destroyed!

This one was a different color plastic than the other ones that I've built, and time was not kind to it. It has a Gold Plastic Syndrome level of brittleness. The robot mode in those pictures is held together with tape and prayers. I was suspicious because the lightbar on the car crumbled away as I was removing it. Then a peg snapped. The two more with barely any force. Then an entire corner of the upper torso. So I got it painted, and it self-destructed. I may glue it in robot mode or do another one up in the same colors. Still, feels bad to have essentially wasted my time.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tin Tim posted:

kki...kiss me senpai

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Hey you! Yes, you!!

It's nanomachines!!!!

yes

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

one day I will learn not to touch decals after the softer goes on

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

one day

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I liked the MKII accessories I had so much that I'm doing a HG MKII to go with them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I underestimated just how big this thing would be

Also almost all of it is made of like, the hardest, stiffest, plastic. The kind of stuff that usually like, the shell pieces of a gundam is made of.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

I definitely wasn't gonna have time to build tomorrow and Thursday aka the last day of the month is a bit iffy... thankfully this guy was fun as hell and I got him half-done on Sunday. Head and arms last night, and backpack tonight.

And if there's a tie for 7th place or wherever I end up, I want a 1/4 point for this action base!

It should be painfully obvious I don't take a lot of pictures. But here's the whole gang!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Good taste in graphic novels too

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Backlogust Update: The Final Frontier

As we run up to the due date, remember that you’ve got until literally it is no longer August 31st anywhere on the planet anymore to submit your kits.

Tergaso posted:

I won't even dignify the accusations that I do not appreciate fine antique vases. (Did you know his VA is Oberstein from LoGH?)

I completed the GM (Moroccan Front) which continues the trend of fantastic gunpla from the Doan's Island line. If you love the GM, I'd pick up the standard version whenever it comes out since I believe that will be a normal release.

I was happy with how the panel lining came out on this one.

The only quibble is that the back of the left hand tends to pop off when holding the shield. It comes with a beam rifle, but I really like the design of the beam spray gun. I realized halfway through that it's using the GM Ground orange and beige color scheme.

Next up is the HG Gundam Heavy. All the MSD line of kits have been fantastic so I'm always happy to pick one up.

1 point, HG Heavy logged.

chrome line posted:

It's been a while since I built a High Grade, especially one from more than a few years ago. I forgot how much quicker they go than the kits I've been building lately, even one as big as this

I might pick up another kit in the next week, but that's the last of my backlog

1 point. Congratulations!

wdarkk posted:

Thorn is a cool little gremlin guy, even though the gremlin was the other pilot.

Speaking of, next up is HG Lfrith Ur.

1 point, Ur logged.

Tergaso posted:

Heavy Gundam down. What a great kit to build, and I think it looks great.

It comes with a "special beam rifle" but the main attraction is the gatling frame.

I just noticed a couple of gaps I need to fix, and I hope those orange stickers don't peel off. (Similar ones sort of spring off at the ends on some of my other kits.)

And what will most likely be my last build of the month, the kit I wish was out when I was younger.

That's right, the MG Gundam Ariel Guntank! I feel so much joy just holding the box and looking at the art.

1 point for the HG, MG logged.

Diet Poison posted:

If I don't get a Calibarn and Schwarzette, I'm gonna be pissed. Of course they save my favorite designs for the rear end-end of the line.

Thought I'd grab another HG for the end of Backlogust, but the comic store near me which also sells Gunpla has so little stock that I'd readily believe they decided to stop bringing them in.

But.

They had this...

Ho boy, might have to take a day off work to finish this in time.

Logged, this is a 1.5er.

wdarkk posted:

These WfM kits are pretty straightforward.

Next up is the HG G-Defenser & Flyingarmor. Apparently that's how Bandai wants to spell it. It's another addon kit that comes in a standard-size HG box and its manual is longer than the Ur's.

Ballparking this one at 1, since you’re getting kinda-two kits out of it.

parabolic posted:

Doing a big round up of all the stuff I started and finished early before lacking the willpower to avoid Baldur's Gate 3 and Armored Core 6.

I ended up very pleasantly surprised by the F91. It's a very elegant expression of the underlying suit's aesthetic and it has some great little gimmicks like the thruster arrays in the legs. It was a good era for mech lineart, shame about the show/movie.

Man I need a better camera.

I think this is probably the single highest-scoring post this year, at six points.

wdarkk posted:

That Flyingarmor is pretty dang big, and they came with a bazillion decals (I guess since you can also use them with the RG Mk II). Mostly a fun build although the Flyingarmor takes a surprising amount of force to come together.

I'll wait to see if my shipment shows up to determine what I build next.

And there's the 1 point.

Moai Ou posted:

It's done! And destroyed!

This one was a different color plastic than the other ones that I've built, and time was not kind to it. It has a Gold Plastic Syndrome level of brittleness. The robot mode in those pictures is held together with tape and prayers. I was suspicious because the lightbar on the car crumbled away as I was removing it. Then a peg snapped. The two more with barely any force. Then an entire corner of the upper torso. So I got it painted, and it self-destructed. I may glue it in robot mode or do another one up in the same colors. Still, feels bad to have essentially wasted my time.

That's another 2.5 points, at least.

wdarkk posted:

I liked the MKII accessories I had so much that I'm doing a HG MKII to go with them.

Logged.

Diet Poison posted:

I definitely wasn't gonna have time to build tomorrow and Thursday aka the last day of the month is a bit iffy... thankfully this guy was fun as hell and I got him half-done on Sunday. Head and arms last night, and backpack tonight.

And if there's a tie for 7th place or wherever I end up, I want a 1/4 point for this action base!

It should be painfully obvious I don't take a lot of pictures. But here's the whole gang!

And 1.5 points as promised.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1spTf3jEQ82AcdKjs8rlo5iKxjp9NIfgetxeZlRKCZXQ/edit?usp=sharing Check ‘em! I’m not kidding!

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
Guntank!

The inner frame for this kit is incredibly complex compared to what you'd expect. And there are some cool gimmicks, the quad missiles piston in and out as you rotate the forearm piece. The cockpit comes with an LED (but no batteries) and the treads can flex and raise up.

The back plate comes down, I'm not sure if it's for loading ammo or as a recoil spade.

And yes, there is a functional core fighter in there. Like I said, surprisingly complex to construct. I only had issues with some of the treads, most everything else came together without too much issue.

And I may not get this finished by the end of the month, but I was able to get an HG Turn A Gundam.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Bah, the HG Durandal Valkyrie AND my 30MM backpack sets both went straight into Backordered. HLJ must've over-preordered their allotment on both. :argh:

I'm totally not planning to load up my painted-up HG Zowort Heavy like it's an Armored Core...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

And I'm finally done, complete with least flattering photo possible:

It was really fun for the most part! A really sturdy thing too. My only real complaints about it is that I don't like the screws, they feel entirely unncessary and the torso just did not want to seem to fit together right. The front half doesn't like, actually plug in or really connect to anything, it's just got two tiny little hooks that slip around a joint, and half of the little waist flaps clip into the other half but the actual body piece has loving nothing. You just kind of have to press them together and, probably due to ineptitude on my part, the left side just didn't want to securely close so it's got a tiny bit of a gap that I don't like. Also, due to the fact that it has so many big hollow pieces and sliding bits for the transformation a lot of its joints (the wrists especially) are super loose which makes it hard to pose, and the head just kind of keeps falling into the chest.

My cats, however, loved it and kept trying to steal its limbs. Here's Bob helping.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Nuebot posted:

And I'm finally done, complete with least flattering photo possible:

It was really fun for the most part! A really sturdy thing too. My only real complaints about it is that I don't like the screws, they feel entirely unncessary and the torso just did not want to seem to fit together right.

That guy feels like a stunt gundam. Like Xi or Penelelope. Just huge.

Maybe I'd like them better painted? Maybe becuase it's an old model and feels... incomplete or toy like when done?

Kyshatria feels like a much better "I'm big as hell and 144 scale".

That said, I"m really happy they are still making the Psycho Gundam. Stunt models are good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nerobro posted:

Maybe I'd like them better painted? Maybe becuase it's an old model and feels... incomplete or toy like when done?

That said, I"m really happy they are still making the Psycho Gundam. Stunt models are good.

I adore them for existing too, and Stunt models is a fantastic term for them. I'm gonna use that one myself :allears:.

I'm eagerly awaiting whatever that colossal Battalogue model they're teasing is gonna be, and I hope it's stupid-big just to see it exist.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nerobro posted:

I've said it about the Messer before, but putting one of the big 144 scales next to a 'normal' size 144 is loony. An RX-78's V-fin is right about where the Messer's cockpit starts.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Warmachine posted:

I've said it about the Messer before, but putting one of the big 144 scales next to a 'normal' size 144 is loony. An RX-78's V-fin is right about where the Messer's cockpit starts.

The HG The O is similarly big. It’s the size of an MG Wing suit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nerobro posted:

Toy-like describes it perfectly, tbh. Holding it, it feels like an old megazord toy I had as a kid, what with the big chunky limbs and like 90% just hard plastic shell that slides around so it can transform. I like it a lot because I just love the psycho gundam and mobile armours in general; but I think I do like regular kits better? I'd still kill for an MKII, Big Zam or a new Perfect Zeong though. It'd be nice if I had the talent and time to paint it too, but for now just having it on display is good enough for me.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

The time has come for HG Psycho Gundam Mk-II, come on Bandai.

Also not sure it was mentioned in here, but there's a p-bandai drop tonight at 9 eastern for MG Mk-V, MG Epyon Sturm und Drang, and some Wing decals.

Is sturm und drang new? I think it's literally the last suit I need to complete my obscenely large and unbuilt MG Wing collection.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Toy-like describes it perfectly, tbh. Holding it, it feels like an old megazord toy I had as a kid, what with the big chunky limbs and like 90% just hard plastic shell that slides around so it can transform. I like it a lot because I just love the psycho gundam and mobile armours in general; but I think I do like regular kits better? I'd still kill for an MKII, Big Zam or a new Perfect Zeong though. It'd be nice if I had the talent and time to paint it too, but for now just having it on display is good enough for me.

The moment of dissonance for me comes when I pick up the bigger toyetic kits. I know roughly what the 'weight' of an HG is in my hand, and things like the Messer feel 'right' because they do in fact have more plastic and there aren't many empty voids inside the shell. The designer was doing some fantastic drugs when they came up with the chest cavity of the Messer that allows for sick ab crunches.

But if I pick up something with more hollow space inside like a Kshatriya, my brain senses the difference in expected vs actual weight. I'm betting the Psycho Gundam has that effect too--even more pronounced because it is a transforming kit and has to have even more voids inside.

Funny enough, the MG Delta Plus feels right when I hold it because it is both hyper dense and transforming, since pretty much all of its transformation comes down to pivots made on absolutely nutty numbers of hinges. The chest is like 70% hinges by volume.

tl;dr the weight of the kit is important.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Man, Sturm und Drang is the most pointless gear set from Glory of the Losers. All the other extra sets had some point, usually to give one of the Gundams the ability of another Gundam. But Sturm und Drang is just arm wings. That don't even function as wings when it transforms.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Gripweed posted:

Man, Sturm und Drang is the most pointless gear set from Glory of the Losers. All the other extra sets had some point, usually to give one of the Gundams the ability of another Gundam. But Sturm und Drang is just arm wings. That don't even function as wings when it transforms.

I don't disagree, and it's definitely not my favorite GoL design, but may I offer in devil's advocate counter-point: sword big.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chrome line posted:

It's been a while since I built a High Grade, especially one from more than a few years ago. I forgot how much quicker they go than the kits I've been building lately, even one as big as this

I might pick up another kit in the next week, but that's the last of my backlog

It turns out this wasn't actually the last of my backlog! I'd had this hiding in my closet for probably a few years and completely forgotten about it until I found it yesterday.

Really quick and easy kit, pretty fun.

And I ended up at the mall today and picked up some more, so we'll see if I can finish any of these by the end of the day tomorrow

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Warmachine posted:

The moment of dissonance for me comes when I pick up the bigger toyetic kits. I know roughly what the 'weight' of an HG is in my hand, and things like the Messer feel 'right' because they do in fact have more plastic and there aren't many empty voids inside the shell. The designer was doing some fantastic drugs when they came up with the chest cavity of the Messer that allows for sick ab crunches.

But if I pick up something with more hollow space inside like a Kshatriya, my brain senses the difference in expected vs actual weight. I'm betting the Psycho Gundam has that effect too--even more pronounced because it is a transforming kit and has to have even more voids inside.

Funny enough, the MG Delta Plus feels right when I hold it because it is both hyper dense and transforming, since pretty much all of its transformation comes down to pivots made on absolutely nutty numbers of hinges. The chest is like 70% hinges by volume.

tl;dr the weight of the kit is important.

I agree and it's why almost every complaint I have about the kit comes down to its torso! The limbs? They're great. Fun to build; real chunky but solid things. But then the torso is just *hollow*, and it's only really made of three pieces. You build the front half of the chest, the front half of the waist; and then the entire back of the thing is one big piece where you screw like two support struts into it and then just push everything together. And it's weird because there doesn't feel like there's any real need for that? The head and shoulderpads fold into the like, upper 25% of the chest, the hands fold into the wrists (that's why the wrist joints are so weirdly loose) and otherwise there isn't much actually collapsing into the torso. So it's just hollow for the sake of it - when it feels like they could have designed it more like a traditional kit where you build like a torso block, then build on that, instead of making it like a big chunky super robot toy.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Moai Ou posted:

RG 00 Qant Trans-Am Clear

And done!

I love the look of this. I'll have to get my hands on more clear kits down the road.

And my last kit for backlogust is, appropriately, is of a model kit maker.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh, nice! Watermelon 00 looks way cooler than I ever would have thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chrome line posted:

It turns out this wasn't actually the last of my backlog! I'd had this hiding in my closet for probably a few years and completely forgotten about it until I found it yesterday.

Really quick and easy kit, pretty fun.

And I ended up at the mall today and picked up some more, so we'll see if I can finish any of these by the end of the day tomorrow

Very fun kit to spend an hour on and be done with