Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 82

Somehow, the absolute mad theory on Boe being the cat was both right and wrong.

Incredible.

That is (SupSup 82) a really weird power. Also I'm curious if Boe being a "passenger" does more than he thinks, because the story has been pretty clear that Victor was acting weird.

It's going to be interesting to see how they deal with Boe being in hiding on the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SupSup 82

drat, this was not what I expected Boe to be up to.

Interesting the Boe seems to have picked up some System Lore from his wierd Unique class, but like Alden is unable to share it. Hopefully Alden can help him.

Where does Boe go from here though? While not wanting to get forced to go to Anesidora is reasonable when you have a life you want to live instead, he's broken all his ties to his former life and family - and his power doesn't sound like a simple one to live a quiet life with. Yet it also sounds like he's got a Sway power that might even work on other Sways, and we know that Sways tend to be ostracised even in Anesidora. He can get smuggled back to the US via Victor if he really wants, but is his life just moping around for a few days and then spending months in a System time capsule?

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 30, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

SupSup 82

drat, this was not what I expected Boe to be up to.

Interesting the Boe seems to have picked up some System Lore from his wierd Unique class, but like Alden is unable to share it. Hopefully Alden can help him.

Where does Boe go from here though? While not wanting to get forced to go to Anesidora is reasonable when you have a life you want to live instead, he's broken all his ties to his former life and family - and his power doesn't sound like a simple one to live a quiet life with. Yet it also sounds like he's got a Sway power that might even work on other Sways, and we know that Sways tend to be ostracised even in Anesidora. He can get smuggled back to the US via Victor if he really wants, but is his life just moping around for a few days and then spending months in a Anesidorian time capsule?

SupSup 82 Yeah, I think being an antisocial, anti authority guy who doesn't want to be shipped to an island is respectable, but there is a limit. Why not move to the place where his favorite person lives?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Wittgen posted:

SupSup 82 Yeah, I think being an antisocial, anti authority guy who doesn't want to be shipped to an island is respectable, but there is a limit. Why not move to the place where his favorite person lives?

Ss 82 because he’ll never be allowed to leave and his … whole life, basically will be heavily heavily curtailed since everyone will know his power and not let him be around them? Not being a prisoner sounds like a reasonable goal to me idk what to tell you

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SupSup 82

Shame his naming scheme is so dull. I can think of a couple of better names for him:

Let Me Give You My Baggage
and
Bearer of Emotions (AKA BoE)

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 30, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

awesmoe posted:

Ss 82 because he’ll never be allowed to leave and his … whole life, basically will be heavily heavily curtailed since everyone will know his power and not let him be around them? Not being a prisoner sounds like a reasonable goal to me idk what to tell you

Theoretically, (supsup82) could Boe just not tell anyone about the emotion reader abilities and pretend he's just a U class that can attach himself to living things?

Even if he has to share his system profile, which I'm not sure he does, he tells us in this chapter he gets to name them. Just name them all innocent sounding things like "Synchronize with Target" and "Insubstantial while Synchronizing" and ta-da, his character sheet looks like a weird unique with mostly useless skills, but nothing like a sway.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

.Z. posted:

Or having one character become 10 more characters.

The fix for this is embracing the Only Erin hypothesis. It was all a dream, you see.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Bremen posted:

Theoretically, (supsup82) could Boe just not tell anyone about the emotion reader abilities and pretend he's just a U class that can attach himself to living things?

Even if he has to share his system profile, which I'm not sure he does, he tells us in this chapter he gets to name them. Just name them all innocent sounding things like "Synchronize with Target" and "Insubstantial while Synchronizing" and ta-da, his character sheet looks like a weird unique with mostly useless skills, but nothing like a sway.

Yeah that’s a fair point, actually. That feature gives him options.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
SS69 Public Nice we got the chapter in one big chunk. The chainer family definitely has plans for Alden. Was Hazel specifically calming him before the conversation or just evening him out and it happened to be the calming wordchain debt?

Nice to see that hassling younger siblings transcends race and dimension. Sleyca really captured the sibling energy of looking out for them while also picking on them in embarrassing ways.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bremen posted:

SupSup 82 I have a feeling they probably are stricter on U class's for integration than others - I doubt Boe being able to rename his skills is unique. And he needs to actively use a skill to pass for normal otherwise he's just pulling on peoples emotions too much and it'll come lit in his interactions - see how he kept mentioning Aldens feelings in this conversation.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

SS64-69 I said some dumb stuff then corrected it.

I enjoyed this chapter a lot, feels like things are ramping up in a good narrative way.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 31, 2023

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Okay is it worth reading SoupsUp if I don't like superhero stuff as a genre at all? Because holy poo poo the CIA thread has me curious.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Absolutely.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Galick posted:

Okay is it worth reading SoupsUp if I don't like superhero stuff as a genre at all? Because holy poo poo the CIA thread has me curious.

It is basically not a superhero genre at all so far

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I'm not on the patreon but up to chapter 69 there's been no superheroics aside from the prologue/first couple chapters and even then it was mostly off screen.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Wittgen posted:

SupSup 82: It is the island of assholes. It makes sense to want to avoid it, when basically the only two people you can stand to be around are some of the nicest in existence.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Galick posted:

I've read a ton of superhero comics and seen a ton of movies and I'm bored by most of them these days. I like this one a lot though. It's a slow burn but very well written.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
There is nothing about supsup that feels like a superhero genre story even up to the Patreon chapters

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Kyoujin posted:

SS69 Public Nice we got the chapter in one big chunk. The chainer family definitely has plans for Alden. Was Hazel specifically calming him before the conversation or just evening him out and it happened to be the calming wordchain debt?
A fun twist would be if she didn't actually do anything. It would be very unlucky if she just happened to be standing there when Alden's debt evened out so that he got mad at her for no reason, but maybe she's just paying off the bad half of a luck chain

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SS82: I really like what ended up happening with Boe (from a story perspective, obviously it sucks for Boe himself). I always thought "Boe became a villain" would suck as a concept, so I'm very happy the situation was different. Boe's the same guy he always was, but was just put in a really lovely situation due to having lovely (in terms of their effect on the user) powers. And the only reason he's gone so often/long is because he spends weeks/months in another dimension recovering from his lovely passive emotion-sensing ability.

I guess this also means he's stuck with Alden, since I think he's "linked" to the cat? They'll have to figure out some way to hide/harbor him, I guess. Neat situation though, and I'm really glad he's back and there's no stupid drama with Boe becoming some sort of antagonist. Can always count on Sleyca to make things good and satisfying.

I'm curious if Boe is going to be the first person to learn more about Alden's situation, since he's going to get extra information from Alden via his emotions.

Bremen posted:

The simple fact that Boe is a (part-)Sway who wouldn't be willing to reveal his profile is enough to leave him ostracized. You can only really function as a Sway (or at least a higher-Rank one) if you're very open about your choices and keep them non-threatening, like Cly Zhao (whose ability is dangerous, but easily countered by society and doesn't let her read minds).

Boe's situation is basically the absolute worst one to be public about, since he's not only a (part-)Sway, but one whose mind-reading ability is constantly active.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 31, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

SS82: I really like what ended up happening with Boe (from a story perspective, obviously it sucks for Boe himself). I always thought "Boe became a villain" would suck as a concept, so I'm very happy the situation was different. Boe's the same guy he always was, but was just put in a really lovely situation due to having lovely (in terms of their effect on the user) powers. And the only reason he's gone so often/long is because he spends weeks/months in another dimension recovering from his lovely passive emotion-sensing ability.

I guess this also means he's stuck with Alden, since I think he's "linked" to the cat? They'll have to figure out some way to hide/harbor him, I guess. Neat situation though, and I'm really glad he's back and there's no stupid drama with Boe becoming some sort of antagonist. Can always count on Sleyca to make things good and satisfying.

I'm curious if Boe is going to be the first person to learn more about Alden's situation, since he's going to get extra information from Alden via his emotions.

The simple fact that Boe is a (part-)Sway who wouldn't be willing to reveal his profile is enough to leave him ostracized. You can only really function as a Sway (or at least a higher-Rank one) if you're very open about your choices and keep them non-threatening, like Cly Zhao (whose ability is dangerous, but easily countered by society and doesn't let her read minds).

Boe's situation is basically the absolute worst one to be public about, since he's not only a (part-)Sway, but one whose mind-reading ability is constantly active.

My point was, (SupSup 82) if he doesn't reveal his profile, how would anyone know he's a (pseudo)sway? He has a convincing unique power he can demonstrate that has nothing to do with being a sway, so he could hypothetically say "yeah, I'm a U class with this weird power that lets me use a living thing as an anchor to go to another dimension" and everyone would be like "Huh, the system is so weird. I hope you find a cool use for it."

And even if the government does say "your circumstances are suspicious, we need you to share your profile or we'll arrest you" he might be able to hide the pseudo-sway part just by changing the names of the skills.

Since he has a skill to disable his emotion reading abilities, as long as he can keep himself from using the emotion manipulation stuff (and the fact that he didn't on Jeremy even when he was having a mental breakdown argues he probably can) he could just live a relatively normal life.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
SS 82 Boe's bigger problem is he has to explain why he decided to wait years to register without drawing undue attention to the specifics of his class

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

SS 82 Boe's bigger problem is he has to explain why he decided to wait years to register without drawing undue attention to the specifics of his class

SS82: It would be very weird if there was not a process for unregistered avowed to transition to registered avowed. If there is not, it would just force everyone to live with the decision they made as a scared 15 year old forever.

Regarding Boe being trapped because he linked with the cat, I assume he could target someone else.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bremen posted:

My point was, (SupSup 82) if he doesn't reveal his profile, how would anyone know he's a (pseudo)sway? He has a convincing unique power he can demonstrate that has nothing to do with being a sway, so he could hypothetically say "yeah, I'm a U class with this weird power that lets me use a living thing as an anchor to go to another dimension" and everyone would be like "Huh, the system is so weird. I hope you find a cool use for it."

And even if the government does say "your circumstances are suspicious, we need you to share your profile or we'll arrest you" he might be able to hide the pseudo-sway part just by changing the names of the skills.

Since he has a skill to disable his emotion reading abilities, as long as he can keep himself from using the emotion manipulation stuff (and the fact that he didn't on Jeremy even when he was having a mental breakdown argues he probably can) he could just live a relatively normal life.

When Boe initially became Avowed, he didn't want to leave because his friends were there. So now if he tried to (publicly, at least) go to Anesidora he'd likely be under more scrutiny due to not registering after he became an Avowed.

And all it takes is for one slip-up where the nature of his abilities is revealed, and he's in a very bad situation. It's very easy to understand why someone in that situation would prefer to just not involve themselves with Avowed society.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SupSup 82

It's really easy to see why Boe wouldn't want to become a pariah of the whole world with his weird sway/mourner class. And now he'd be in an extra bad spot having to register since he's broken the law for about a year by failing to register.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SS82: I'm a little curious about Boe's foundation points, since he clearly has a non-trivial amount in Strength. I was correct about him not being a Brute, though; I always thought that theory was dumb, because "being able to break some bricks with a punch" is super weak for a high-Rank Brute. But it's still not clear how many foundation points are needed to achieve the level of Strength he displayed. We've only directly seen foundation points from Alden's PoV, and he has a B-Rank in a Class that gets a small number of foundation points. No idea how much Boe's weird unique A-Rank Class would get.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Boe's probably going to learn stuff from Alden somehow (though it's not clear to me how much Alden can communicate even if he wants to). The guy desperately needs help just to be able to function, much less use his powers effectively, and Alden is likely better equipped to provide that help that most human Avowed.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Ytlaya posted:

SS82: I'm a little curious about Boe's foundation points, since he clearly has a non-trivial amount in Strength. I was correct about him not being a Brute, though; I always thought that theory was dumb, because "being able to break some bricks with a punch" is super weak for a high-Rank Brute. But it's still not clear how many foundation points are needed to achieve the level of Strength he displayed. We've only directly seen foundation points from Alden's PoV, and he has a B-Rank in a Class that gets a small number of foundation points. No idea how much Boe's weird unique A-Rank Class would get.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Boe's probably going to learn stuff from Alden somehow (though it's not clear to me how much Alden can communicate even if he wants to). The guy desperately needs help just to be able to function, much less use his powers effectively, and Alden is likely better equipped to provide that help that most human Avowed.

(SupSup 82) Bringing back up the list of what's covered by Alden's tattoo again, since it's relevant here:

Nitrousoxide posted:

A reader wrote this in the comments from chapter 77:

Went back to chapter with ultra privacy stuff. Quote and stuff below

"that you will not, through any means or by any permutation of interpretation, intentionally reveal the information I’m about to disclose to you with anyone else of any species without my permission. Ever. Also you will not use this knowledge to advise or instruct another person in a fashion that would allow them to take advantage of it"

That covers
-How system reacts to people not picking affixations
-The 300 skills and early system history
-The mess that is artonian politics around system design
-Skill levels generally top out 4-10 range and are basicaly big complicated spells
-Some stuff about rabbit class desgin
-That Artonians have iced drinks

It might cover
-Stuff about bound and unbound athority as Joe let him work that out himself during the conversation.

It does not cover
-The special skill modifications he has such as his enchantment carrying, he just cant talk about the why he gets them.
-How the conflict between bound and unbound authority speeds up growth

Edit, also
Alden is forbidden from revealing that stuff even if he later obtains the info through entirely independent means. It was part of the contract too.

Unless Joe gives the okay to reveal it that is

(Still SupSup 82) So Alden is free to communicate that, for example, if Boe waits longer to do his next affixation, he'll level up faster as he takes longer (bound and unbound authority conflicting speeds up growth) and that quicker level ups will also be smaller things that are less likely to help him (general knowledge of Authority and its relationship to affixations). He CAN'T say that if Boe waits longer, then the System will get increasingly desperate and do its best to bribe him into doing another level up, and neither can he say that waiting too long will make the System force-level him before he dies (both topics are under how the system reacts to people not picking affixations), but Boe trusts him so that's easy enough to work around. Doubly so when he can directly or indirectly say, "the thing I'm unable to explain here is why I almost died leaving Moon Thegund. This won't happen to you here, but please listen to me on this anyway."

Honestly, just waiting for a big bribe will probably be enough, even if it takes a while. Thankfully Boe is an empath and Alden has about a dozen different plausible explanations for knowing everything he knows, even without him able or willing to explain everything. (I imagine his ambiguous Knighthood is something he's still trying not to think about, as shown by the fact it's barely been present in narration since he's been on Earth, even when he's talking to Stuart.) He even has a neat contract tattoo to point to and say "I'm sworn to secrecy" when Boe asks for more details.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

SS82: Does anyone else think that Boe has a huge burden, and Alden is RIGHT THERE...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
SupSup 82: I wonder if the triangle covers showing Boe his true profile, since that implies BoaB is extensible....

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SupSup 82: Other skills are extendable, just rarely or up to a limit. BoaB is infinitely extendable, which isn't yet apparent from the profile. If Alden had like level 35 Boab I think you'd have a closer argument, but right now it'll be fine.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 1, 2023

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
SupsupPatreon Also Boe has been declining help from the system which is very interesting. I wonder if its similar to when Alden declines level ups and rewards

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Affi posted:

SupsupPatreon Also Boe has been declining help from the system which is very interesting. I wonder if its similar to when Alden declines level ups and rewards

SupSup 82: I bet the help is more in the form of information. It requires a stronger commitment to secrecy to get, after all.

I feel like we have a pretty good idea of why most hyperboles are uniques. They know what they're doing in a way your average Joe avowed does not.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.
For some non-blackbar discussion:

Slumrat: Do other people see Truth's (continued) militant literalism as an insert of the stereotypical RR reader? It works out as a twist on 'infodump the stat mechanics to the clueless MC' that lets the author include the philosophy/literary/religion scenes and references without totally losing people. Since the MC remains so willfully oblivious, the author can take anything crucial to the plot and very explicitly spell things out for Truth/the reader while still leaving the symbolic stuff in for people willing to engage with it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Selkie Myth posted:

SS82: Does anyone else think that Boe has a huge burden, and Alden is RIGHT THERE...

SS82:
Few problems with this:

1. It would require Alden get the emotion-bearing Skill expansion, so he couldn't do it now even if he wanted to.
2. It would suck rear end for Alden because he would experience everything he's bearing (which Mother explained regarding the pain-bearing expansion - which is a pretty close analogue - and is one of the reasons Alden had no desire to get that sort of Skill expansion).
3. That sort of Skill expansion also probably uses too much authority for Alden to handle any time soon (since Mother explained that the "pain bearing" Skill expansion could likely only be maintained for a couple minutes currently).
4. Boe seems to also have a Skill that shuts off his ability, even if he obviously can't keep it up constantly (and it's likely more authority-efficient than Alden bearing his emotions).

I'm sure there'll be some sort of way to use Alden's abilities to improve Boe's situation, but I doubt it'll be by somehow bearing the burden of his emotional absorbing Skill. IMO it might be something related to helping him with his weird ability that sends him into the other dimension. I wouldn't be surprised if Alden can signal him somehow while he's "attached" to the cat in that way. It's also possible that simply hastening Boe's growth will allow him to maintain his "turn off emotion-absorption" ability whenever he wants.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

SupSup 82: Other skills are extendable, just rarely or up to a limit. BoaB is infinitely extendable, which isn't yet apparent from the profile. If Alden had like level 35 Boab I think you'd have a closer argument, but right now it'll be fine.

I think they meant the enchantment-bearing extension, not the Skill level.

Affi posted:

I doubt that it's for the same reasons as Alden. It might be as simple as "this Avowed thing kinda sucks rear end for Boe, and he's not exactly enthusiastic to get more abilities (or foundation points because the more he has, the harder it is to hide his Avowed status).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 1, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Affi posted:

SupSup Patreon

Earth is probably trying to instruct Boe on how to improve his power in a much more direct way than it normally does for Avowed. Mother suggested the existence of other such methods in response to Alden's wailing about how powerful The Gloom is (another U-class).

Mother Pt. 2

quote:

“But there are people out there who are hyperboles. Who can control weather systems! They can do such crazy stuff.”

“You do realize the way you’ve begun to train and use your skill isn’t the lone possibility for achieving strength? Many humans are naturally much more powerful than you at their first affixation. Some among them are also talented in developing their skills through other methods. A few of them achieve mastery through vast amounts of practice. A few just have a subconscious knack for it. People who set out to develop their power and refuse to give up generally find the means.”

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

SupSup 82

I just realized it sure is interesting that Boe is reading Alden's emotions without it pinging Alden's authority sense at all.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Wittgen posted:

SupSup 82

I just realized it sure is interesting that Boe is reading Alden's emotions without it pinging Alden's authority sense at all.

SS82 - It seems like that only triggers when he’s being targeted by something. Boe’s power seems to be entirely passive.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wittgen posted:

SupSup 82

SupSup 82

Boe was probably a latent empath naturally. I know he said the emotional sponge effect came into being with the affixation, but I can't see how that could be directly due to that. I think its likely the System linked up his already extant empathic sense to his consciousness. If its something it crafted whole cloth I don't see how it wouldn't be a constant authority drain or why he'd have a skill to block it rather than have the ability to turn it on. He should be experiencing skill fatigue with it being on all the time otherwise.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 2, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty neat to consider. SupSup 82 My theory is that Boe's authority/chaos potential was a kind that could have spontaneously become some kind of empathy thing if it got mutated by chaos. It leaned in that direction enough that the system has to create custom skills to stabilize and control it. I don't think Boe has empathy powers before, but stick him in a chaos field and he would have become an emotion sucking demon. Possibly one of the kinds of demon that is particularly special and bad. More a demon grasshopper type that an thunder lettuce type reaction.

As for only feeling being targeted, that is not quite right. Alden can sense most things that affect his authority, which includes targeting. Whatever Boe is doing, it is not interacting with other people's authority in the same way.

Regarding exhaustion, I wonder if it's not a matter of the "natural" empathy power being an equivalent exchange. Boe mentioned feeling overwritten by other people's feelings. The cat was unnaturally calm when Boe was trancing out while tethered to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I guess my thing with The Wandering Inn is I'm a very non critical reader and I'm pretty satisfied with whatever plot or characters get the chapter. Was totally fine with endless Beach chapters also though.