Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Could you care less that it's normal to do a parge coat of plaster before you put door linings in? They need to be there for second coat to finish up against, for sure though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Endjinneer posted:

Could you care less that it's normal to do a parge coat of plaster before you put door linings in? They need to be there for second coat to finish up against, for sure though.

No I'd care quite a lot about that really? So... I dunno confused

Like im not hosed? But they should do the parge coat first... And that they're not means they're gonna be bad?

I did read a thing that said good plasterers will parge to my door linings, then come back and grind it out a bit before doing final skim.

Whereas crappy ones will feather the final skim to the parge against my linings.

loving looking forward to litigating that lol.

But you're saying no linings... What do they finish against?

Aaaaaaaargh

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Parge coat on the blockwork, no door linings. Those went on just before we plasterboarded out.

Be reet, probably. We were parging for airtightness so the parge coat went on with a spray gun and didn't really need to "finish" against anything because it was way too early for such fancifully precise ideas.
Whereas you're parging through hatred of plasterboard and they'll maybe apply that more like a normal coat? Even if they did have to feather in the skim to the linings later, you're going to put the door architrave on top of the join so nobody will see it.

And you might have some spare lining depth in hand too? If the trims are sized for a wall with 12mm of plasterboard on it, whereas a parge coat can be 6mm or so.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

Parge coat on the blockwork, no door linings. Those went on just before we plasterboarded out.

Be reet, probably. We were parging for airtightness so the parge coat went on with a spray gun and didn't really need to "finish" against anything because it was way too early for such fancifully precise ideas.
Whereas you're parging through hatred of plasterboard and they'll maybe apply that more like a normal coat? Even if they did have to feather in the skim to the linings later, you're going to put the door architrave on top of the join so nobody will see it.

And you might have some spare lining depth in hand too? If the trims are sized for a wall with 12mm of plasterboard on it, whereas a parge coat can be 6mm or so.

hmm alot to digest.

Like I thought maybe a foreign country but TP bag

But your house looks awesome

ou est la thread?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Band-aid is just a brand name for sticking plasters, invented in the mid-1800s, which is what americans also called them before the brand "band-aid" came along in the 1920s. As usual it's from Latin, emplastrum, meaning "bandage". You could've googled this.

Americans probably stopped calling bandages plasters before the brand "band-aid" came along in the 1920s as evidenced by them being called "band-aids" and not "plast-aids"

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Cat Hatter posted:

Americans probably stopped calling bandages plasters before the brand "band-aid" came along in the 1920s as evidenced by them being called "band-aids" and not "plast-aids"

Etymonline, for what it's worth, thinks band-aid was not used before the trademark in 1920s: https://www.etymonline.com/word/Band-Aid#etymonline_v_26887

Which matches rather neatly with a big falloff in the occurrences of "plaster" https://www.etymonline.com/word/plaster#etymonline_v_16452

Both "bandage" and "band" ofc go way back.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Parge however sounds made up

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The swedish word for a band-aid or plaster is "Plåster". I wonder if it came from the british word, aside from an umlaut it's basically the same word except an Å instead of an A (which sounds different).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

His Divine Shadow posted:

The swedish word for a band-aid or plaster is "Plåster". I wonder if it came from the british word, aside from an umlaut it's basically the same word except an Å instead of an A (which sounds different).

Probably not, it looks like it was borrowed into the germanic languages so far back English and Swedish has it from the same root - with some amount of influence from old/norman French having done a very similar shortening (to "plastre").

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

freelop posted:

Parge however sounds made up

Everyone knows this word was created in 1993 by Troy McClure

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Loezi posted:

Etymonline, for what it's worth, thinks band-aid was not used before the trademark in 1920s: https://www.etymonline.com/word/Band-Aid#etymonline_v_26887

Which matches rather neatly with a big falloff in the occurrences of "plaster" https://www.etymonline.com/word/plaster#etymonline_v_16452

Both "bandage" and "band" ofc go way back.

Lol, the "bandage" page doesn't even list "plaster" as a related word.

More importantly, are the British of all people complaining that Americans are using a genaricized trademark too much?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

His Divine Shadow posted:

PLOSTER!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

So many odd builder words.

Cat Hatter posted:

More importantly, are the British of all people complaining that Americans are using a genaricized trademark too much?

No, I don't think so.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
time to hoover up all this bandaid talk

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm taking notes with my biro, correcting them with a bit of tip-ex, and then plastering them to the wall with blu-tack.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Just make sure you've got your wellies on.

I googled "wellies" to check the spelling and the first related question was "What are wellies called in America?"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh you mean your Duke of Wellington's

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

poo poo day today really. I mean ok As I now take probiotic tablets so I can eat lunch and not feel like poo poo afterwards.. am I a rube?

Anyway Wickes were supposed to deliver the replacement 22mm chipboard floorboards from when buildbase screwed me two years ago with half a batch of 18mm ones. Scheduled 7am to 12. Waited. Got to 12, nah mate its cancelled OK great. Now rescheduled for tomorrow.

Also run out of plasterable airtight tape. You can only get it from Ireland. Only ireland seems to care about airtightness. Anyway three days running theyve insisted its next day gonna get delivered. Still no sign. They have at least waived the 8quid delivery fee.

But without it I can't progress with getting any rooms plasterable, including installing more door linings, even though I've got them all ready to go!

Snapped my brand new paintbrush priming them. Tried to contact the company to whinge at them but they don't seem interested, not sure whats going on there

Drove off to see a painting expert company about what to do with the cladding that is due any minute. He had no idea and gave me a number to ring. Left my voicemail. great.

Came back to do whatever can be done. Some more insulation. So actually already done this bit. Most of the main loft piss candyfloss is already in. Relatively easy.

This is where I need to install all the chipboard floorboards to allow plasterboard above to be installed to open this up to plastering too.

Then spent the afternoon up in the corner loft puting in first round of what will eventually be 400mm of fibreglassy horrible stuff.

loving pain to the... everything contortionist/gymnast bullshit with horrible itchyness the whole time. But its 10degrees hotter again next week so maybe best to get it done. loving horrible and gave up early to go home and have a shower to try and get it off me and my bum shoulders. still another layer or two to put in though

Also these tiles were delivered to rental house whilst I was holiday, lad was able to put them in the garage.

Checked and theres a box missing.

Theyve sorted it, came today

One box of tiles on its own little mini pallet and with a big red dunce cap lol

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Oh poo poo lol I left off the last photo.

So you know how all my doorways are too tall for normal uk door linings?

Not a big deal, fill it in.

Except

Where gently caress its a feature brick wall. Now what lol!

Custom door or something I guess

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Nothing like a hot shower after a day of working with fibreglass!

Can you use an appropriate caulking at the overlapped seams of the plasterable paper instead of tape? I've never plastered over any kind of air barrier (ok except once but it was the least worst choice there) but if you're in a time crunch, you have caulk, and the air barrier is itself otherwise plasterable, and after plaster it's not going anywhere, it could keep you on schedule.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Horatius Bonar posted:

Nothing like a hot shower after a day of working with fibreglass!

Can you use an appropriate caulking at the overlapped seams of the plasterable paper instead of tape? I've never plastered over any kind of air barrier (ok except once but it was the least worst choice there) but if you're in a time crunch, you have caulk, and the air barrier is itself otherwise plasterable, and after plaster it's not going anywhere, it could keep you on schedule.

Where the paper (i mean its not paper membrane or whatever) folds down from the ceiling to wall its already gunked. But where Ive decided to airtight around the windows and doors and also now at the wall/floor function theres noting else there so all tape.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Oh poo poo lol I left off the last photo.

So you know how all my doorways are too tall for normal uk door linings?

Not a big deal, fill it in.

Except

Where gently caress its a feature brick wall. Now what lol!

Custom door or something I guess

Big beautiful custom lintel? You can cut out the half brick and cut in half the full brick above your plank of wood there to create an inset and stick in wood or concrete or stone or w/e as an accent over the door, perhaps? Or without knocking out any bricks just do a facade over them to give the right appearance.

This sort of idea

or out of brick

etc.

e. the latter is from this company
https://keystonelintels.com/keyslip/
who've got several ways to do it you might be able to retrofit

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Snapped my brand new paintbrush priming them. Tried to contact the company to whinge at them but they don't seem interested, not sure whats going on there

Congrats on your new Freestyle brush - they exist and yes they cost like 3x as much as a normal brush.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Check every loving tile, last time I ordered some online the top couple of layers was fine but there were some duds in the lower levels...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Leperflesh posted:

Big beautiful custom lintel? You can cut out the half brick and cut in half the full brick above your plank of wood there to create an inset and stick in wood or concrete or stone or w/e as an accent over the door, perhaps? Or without knocking out any bricks just do a facade over them to give the right appearance.

This sort of idea

That's aesthetic as heck

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's aesthetic as heck

It almost makes me wish I had a brick wall a different size from my door.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
why aren't you using rockwool insulation? fiberglass is terrible.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Some Guy From NY posted:

I can’t speak for why he’s not using it but as someone who had to install a whole lot of it I can confirm that rockwool is also terrible to be around re itching and discomfort.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cat Hatter posted:

Just make sure you've got your wellies on.

I googled "wellies" to check the spelling and the first related question was "What are wellies called in America?"

You got your nokians on right?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Some Guy From NY posted:

I've used Rockwool elsewhere. Lost track of why it's fibreglass here, maybe cost? Maybe it's what was specced somewhere by someone. Apparently it's a bit lighter on there plasterboard ceilings? No idea. Although I did get some rolls of it free from builder neighbour so maybe I just trusted his decisions and bought more of that as it's all the same brand.

But it's certainly a lot more itchy and horrible than the rockwool.

Oh and Wickes have cancelled the floor board order again. They thought it was the same order as yesterday that they (also wrongly) cancelled so didn't put it on the lorry. FFS

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But it's certainly a lot more itchy and horrible than the rockwool.

Oh god

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Use real wool.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

The angle iron supporting the brick above the empty hole is resting on that half brick and that half of the full brick.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Slap a bit of stained glass in there.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

goatface posted:

Use real wool.

There's actually insulation you can buy here based on recycled paper, blown in insulation. Also comes in sheets I believe. And there is also insulation based on flax fibers. I've been looking at the flax based stuff for insulating my shed so I won't need a vapor barrier.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
What are you wearing to do the fiberglass? Gloves, boots, full face respirator, hooded tyvek suit taped to the gloves and boots? It's a pain in the rear end to put on and take off but does help a lot.

Then a fan and furnace filter to help keep the particle count down.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

SpeedFreek posted:

What are you wearing to do the fiberglass? Gloves, boots, full face respirator, hooded tyvek suit taped to the gloves and boots? It's a pain in the rear end to put on and take off but does help a lot.

Then a fan and furnace filter to help keep the particle count down.

Shorts and t shirt

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Shorts and t shirt

:discourse:

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
This whole thread has been one extreme to the other, pilings driven halfway to the earth's core and walls made out of puffed rice.

Thanks for all the laughs, really looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I mean the blockwork is completely standard in European construction, 99 has just chosen to hyperfixate on it (understandable since they seem like pretty poo poo blocks in a few different ways even though they do the job just fine).

The pilings though, will always be funny