Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yeah, Ukraine should probably just surrender.

Uh, no? They should fight to the last man with the understanding that their support is limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

daslog posted:

It also illustrates the point that Europe (just like the USA) will support Ukraine as long as it's convenient for them to do so. Actual sacrifice? Not going to happen.

I think you missed the point in other people's reply to you(cocaine bear), in that this statement is not helpful nor does it add to any concept of discussion. It's just a negative perspective.

Entire countries are not somehow solely supporting Ukraine because it's convenient to do so, nor doing the opposite with Russia. That's painting a pretty broad brush for the entire war/absurd reduction. Even at a base level there's political motivation and historical/genocidal concerns before we get to everything in the entire thread.

I'm surprised lng import from bad sources is showing that high vs historic usage but it's dishonest anyway. https://www.bruegel.org/dataset/european-natural-gas-imports shows that 2023 is steady but extremely below prior years - like 3-6x less. So it's not 0 but that's not realistic for now anyway.

That's like saying "Russia is now declared terrorists by the usa why haven't usd flows to Russia gone to 0?"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Not to take this thread off track, but I came across this link in the China thread. Apparently, China has marked a small island in the Amur River that it shares with Russia as fully belonging to China on official maps published recently. I don't know how significant this is from a Chinese perspective but it seems to show that Russia is losing some standing amongst its neighbors.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1696624183470408168

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Which of the various pipelines are we talking about here?
The one through Ukraine which Ukraine actually gets money from?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mano posted:

Which of the various pipelines are we talking about here?
The one through Ukraine which Ukraine actually gets money from?

LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) is transported on big ships. It is highly compressed natural gas, so compressed that it turns in to a liquid form. It is a parallel flow to any pipelines.

It requires a fair amount of equipment and capacity to process and transport, so Russia's ability to convert flows is limited. The volumes are growing but small. 22 million cubic meters compares to over 150 billion cubic meters of pipeline gas from Russia in 2021.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 31, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1697184253568499857

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1697179101436526826

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1697233188832059854

Daytime drone attacks are a new thing, right?

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 31, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
NATO caught red-handed after launching a special grazing operation across the Russian border: https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-demands-norway-pay-millions-for-reindeer-border-crossing-2023-8?r=US&IR=T

quote:

Russia is demanding Norway pay over $4.4 million in compensation after 42 Norwegian reindeer wandered across the border

42 reindeer from Norway have crossed into Russia this year in search of better pastures.
But Russia wants over $4.4 million in compensation for the reindeer grazing in a national park.
Norway is now repairing a rundown fence between the two countries to prevent future crossings.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

daslog posted:

It also illustrates the point that Europe (just like the USA) will support Ukraine as long as it's convenient for them to do so. Actual sacrifice? Not going to happen.

Countries acting in their own self-interest as a priority? How unexpected. But I wonder what you consider 'actual sacrifice' to be?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Rugz posted:

Countries acting in their own self-interest as a priority? How unexpected. But I wonder what you consider 'actual sacrifice' to be?

They should stop buying Russian Fossil Fuels.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

FishMcCool posted:

NATO caught red-handed after launching a special grazing operation across the Russian border: https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-demands-norway-pay-millions-for-reindeer-border-crossing-2023-8?r=US&IR=T

Oh deer :ohdear:

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

daslog posted:

That seems like quite an arbitrary 'actual sacrifice'.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FishMcCool posted:

Are you sure it wasn't red-hoofed (or red-nosed?)

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Rugz posted:

That seems like quite an arbitrary 'actual sacrifice'.

I’m what way would that be arbitrary?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is there an article on the "new?" Suicide drones Ukraine is using? I've seen pictures of the boats and the quadcopter suicide drones, but the videos posted above looks like converted Cessnas or other small hobby planes.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 hours!)

daslog posted:

https://www.bruegel.org/policy-brief/eu-can-manage-without-russian-liquified-natural-gas

Yeah I thought the main thrust of the article was deliberately fuzzy. They focus on 40% more LNG while ignoring the drops in GWh

Crude Oil went from 105,000 GWh in March 2022 to 12,000 GWh in March 2023.
Diesel from 23,100 to 290 GWh.
Pipeline gas from 113,000 to 24,000.
LNG from 19,400 to 14,500.
Coal: 31,000 to 0.

291,500 GWh imported from Russia in March 2022 to 50,790 GWh in March 2023. A drop of over 80% in total energy imports.

So in March 2022, LNG was under 7% of total energy imports. So assuming it went up 40%, thats +2.8%, while the total imported went down -80%. Oddly the article seems to focus on the +2.8% really hard, you know?

quote:

BRUSSELS, Aug 30 (Reuters) - European Union countries have massively reduced their imports of energy from Russia compared with before the Ukraine war, demonstrating the EU's aim to quit Russian fossil fuels within a few years, an analysis by campaigners showed.

Imports of Russian fuels by EU countries dropped more than 80% from March 2022 to March 2023 the first year of Russia's genocidal invasion of Ukraine, campaign group Global Witness said.

EU countries imported 291,500 GWh of Russian energy in all forms in March 2022, dropping to 50,790 GWh in the same month in 2023, Global Witness said in an analysis of data from analytics firm Brugel. The majority of the drop was in reductions in pipeline natural gas, from 113,000 GWh to only 24,000. Coal imports dropped to zero from 31,000 GWh and diesel fuels from 23,100 GWh to only 290. A relatively smaller drop in LNG import totals indicates that a lack of agreement for sanctions on LNG imports is overdue. The lack of EU-wide sanctions on LNG imports remains a weak spot in the otherwise successful campaign to make Russia pay for its aggression.

Spain is now the second-largest buyer of Russian LNG worldwide, with Belgium close behind. During the first seven months of 2023, Spain took 18% of Russia’s total sales, while Belgium took 17%. China bought 20%.

Russia made up around 16% of the EU's total LNG imports from January-July, Aurora Energy Research data show.

The EU's Russian LNG imports in January-June would be equivalent to roughly 13 billion cubic metres (bcm) of natural gas, Aurora said, a relatively minor component of the overall energy imported.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Donkringel posted:

Is there an article on the "new?" Suicide drones Ukraine is using? I've seen pictures of the boats and the quadcopter suicide drones, but the videos posted above looks like converted Cessnas or other small hobby planes.

https://youtu.be/voPCPhzmL10?si=p32p4EdWWvGt3nXk

Some drone prototypes are shown here, but none that big.

Also something interesting that got mentioned on the Economist was that a not insignificant number of the drones going into Russia are effectively PR for the companies (of which there are loads) making them. Most aren't funded by the Ukrainian govt from the start so it's a way to demonstrate their capabilities towards obtaining funding and ramping up to full production.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

Jon posted:

I’m what way would that be arbitrary?

It's not like Western money only flows to Russia in exchange for fuel, or that a complete removal of Russian fuel would create a different dynamic within the West. In what way is it not arbitrary?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mr. Apollo posted:

Not to take this thread off track, but I came across this link in the China thread. Apparently, China has marked a small island in the Amur River that it shares with Russia as fully belonging to China on official maps published recently. I don't know how significant this is from a Chinese perspective but it seems to show that Russia is losing some standing amongst its neighbors.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1696624183470408168

My understanding is that the border dispute has never been fully settled and officially China 'owns' the whole island, just like that area at the Indian border. It doesn't seem like they would be actually escalating anything there, unlike in 1969 though, and the border treaty of 1991 is still in force.

As to why, it might be a side effect of a harder line on Taiwan. As in if the party has ordered the map committee to make sure that all territories, islands and sea areas that are officially part of PRC, are clearly marked as such. Just guessing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Heliosicle posted:

Also something interesting that got mentioned on the Economist was that a not insignificant number of the drones going into Russia are effectively PR for the companies (of which there are loads) making them.

Setting aside ethics for this bit but this war has been the best tech demo for a plethora of arms & tech companies throughout the world since god knows when. :homebrew:

Humanity; so innovative when it comes to pain & destruction. :ughh:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Donkringel posted:

They've just received a shipment of flatpacked cardboard drones from Australia:

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-says-struck-5-russian-jets-drones-made-cardboard-2023-8?r=US&IR=T

quote:

Insider could not independently confirm the claim, but on Tuesday Ukraine's ambassador to Australia Vasyl Myroshnychenko said in a post on X: "Cardboard drones from Australia used in attack on Russian airfield."

The claim is not as wild as it sounds. In March, the Australian defense manufacturer SYPAQ announced it had secured a $700,000 contract with the Australian government to produce its Corvo Precision Payload Delivery System drones for Ukraine.

The Corvo drones are described by SYPAQ as "the cardboard plane," but an earlier company press release said they were made from waxed foamboard. They come flat-packed and can fly up to 75 miles — putting Kursk just within reach of the borders of Ukraine.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nenonen posted:

My understanding is that the border dispute has never been fully settled and officially China 'owns' the whole island, just like that area at the Indian border. It doesn't seem like they would be actually escalating anything there, unlike in 1969 though, and the border treaty of 1991 is still in force.

As to why, it might be a side effect of a harder line on Taiwan. As in if the party has ordered the map committee to make sure that all territories, islands and sea areas that are officially part of PRC, are clearly marked as such. Just guessing.
That makes sense, thanks.

fuctifino posted:

I wonder if their construction makes them hard to track by radar.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

fuctifino posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-says-struck-5-russian-jets-drones-made-cardboard-2023-8?r=US&IR=T

Some interesting info on them here:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1697264558019358760

I guess being invisible to radar would be due to the cardboard? A neat side effect of their low cost design

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Gotta love the historical irony of thousands of years of warfare tech culminating in a flying cardboard box

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

daslog posted:

I think the issue is they mostly have, as other people have pointed out. Granted that buying Russian fossil fuels at all isn't a great look here and now, but using all or nothing as an indication that "Europe is unwilling to sacrifice" seems an odd argument to make. If someone were to say "All right, in order to burn less fossil fuels and save the environment, I'm only to going to use the thermostat a little bit this winter, much less than I used to," well it'd clearly be better for the environment if they didn't use it at all, but is it not a great improvement over what they used to do, and doesn't their current stance imply a good deal of sacrifice?

Tomn fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 31, 2023

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Chalks posted:

I guess being invisible to radar would be due to the cardboard? A neat side effect of their low cost design

Wikipedia says $670–$3,350 USD per unit. Good luck keeping up with production of AA munitions especially if they start punching holes in radars and ehatnot.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) is transported on big ships. It is highly compressed natural gas, so compressed that it turns in to a liquid form. It is a parallel flow to any pipelines.

It requires a fair amount of equipment and capacity to process and transport, so Russia's ability to convert flows is limited. The volumes are growing but small. 22 million cubic meters compares to over 150 billion cubic meters of pipeline gas from Russia in 2021.

Hmm, interesting. I thought that some was also going through pipes.

But the second line is still true AFAIK: pipes from Russia go through Ukraine to Hungary and westerly, and both sides leave them running because ??

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tomn posted:

I think the issue is they mostly have, as other people have pointed out. Granted that buying Russian fossil fuels at all isn't a great look here and now, but using all or nothing as an indication that "Europe is unwilling to sacrifice" seems an odd argument to make. If someone were to say "All right, in order to burn less fossil fuels and save the environment, I'm only to going to use the thermostat a little bit this winter, much less than I used to," well it'd clearly be better for the environment if they didn't use it at all, but is it not a great improvement over what they used to do, and doesn't their current stance imply a good deal of sacrifice?

A lot of "Europe is unwilling to sacrifice" rhetoric seems to come from American commentariat. Yeah we in the EU could be doing better to divest, but also my country has taken on the equivalent of an additional 1% of our population in UKR refugees, but I don't see the US proportionately giving visas to 3-4m Ukrainians somehow...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Failed Imagineer posted:

Gotta love the historical irony of thousands of years of warfare tech culminating in a flying cardboard box

You wait until we start sending them the loving Hills Hoist mate :australia:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Chalks posted:

Some interesting info on them here:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1697264558019358760

wow holy poo poo, wonder what kind of transmission system they use.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 31, 2023

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

A lot of "Europe is unwilling to sacrifice" rhetoric seems to come from American commentariat. Yeah we in the EU could be doing better to divest, but also my country has taken on the equivalent of an additional 1% of our population in UKR refugees, but I don't see the US proportionately giving visas to 3-4m Ukrainians somehow...

Would said commentariat be fine with the US committing to sell their LNG at about the same price the Russians did to soften the blow to the EU economies, help the alliance decouple completely from Russian fossil fuels and strengthen strategic economic and diplomatic ties across the Atlantic?

This is a rhetorical question..

Column: U.S. LNG exports both a lifeline and a drain for Europe in 2023

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 31, 2023

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Mano posted:

Hmm, interesting. I thought that some was also going through pipes.

But the second line is still true AFAIK: pipes from Russia go through Ukraine to Hungary and westerly, and both sides leave them running because ??

Why not? Ukraine can also use the fuel.
In 2014 in height of shooting war there were trains full of LPG and other energy products that go boom. I don't recall anyone targeting them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Failed Imagineer posted:

Did you pay for transit? If not, then there’s some pretty drat obvious reasons that there aren’t 4m ukrainians in the US atm

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did you pay for transit? If not, then there’s some pretty drat obvious reasons that there aren’t 4m ukrainians in the US atm

The biggest limitation on US visas is two-parted: While any number of Ukrainians can apply for a two year work visa in the US, they need an American sponsor willing to support them financially to do it; and secondly, most Ukrainian refugees didn't want to travel so far away from their home. The majority of refugees (4.5 million) have already returned to Ukraine - they wanted to escape to a temporary safety while the situation stabilized, not move half-way around the world.

https://www.uscis.gov/ukraine

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 31, 2023

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Failed Imagineer posted:

I would argue that the political climate in the US makes it difficult. That's not an excuse, it's just reality.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

daslog posted:

You clearly don't live in Europe.

Some people's electricity bills shot up by 400% and many people took in Ukrainian refugees in their homes. Very convenient, yes.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Chalks posted:

Oh god, Mike Sparks has become the broken clock.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Slovakia is heading for general election in September, and it seems it's going to have negative repercussions for their future Ukraine support. The frontrunner, albeit by a slim margin, is Robert Fico, a pro-Russian demagogue who has pledged not to send a single round of ammunition to Ukraine, and in addition to that today there was a report that 30% of Slovaks would be ok with returning under Russian sphere of influence. Pretty crazy stuff.

https://www.novinky.cz/clanek/zahranicni-evropa-stale-vice-slovaku-by-si-pralo-patrit-do-sfery-ruskeho-vlivu-40442209

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pope Hilarius II posted:

You clearly don't live in Europe.

Some people's electricity bills shot up by 400% and many people took in Ukrainian refugees in their homes. Very convenient, yes.

Yeah, from what I've seen European nations have been donating a much higher percentage of their GDP than America has been. Finland knows what's at stake.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, from what I've seen European nations have been donating a much higher percentage of their GDP than America has been. Finland knows what's at stake.
Speaking to people I know in Europe, they all basically say the same thing: "Americans don't understand how sick and tired everyone is of Russia."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Anders Puck Nielsen on Prigozhin's death and how Russia's propaganda approach has changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXaEYZbUQhU