Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love the thing where they introduce a pirate with their wanted poster appearing in front of them and swatting it away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I feel like Skypeia is way more important than people give it credit for, so I'm glad someone else thinks its an S tier. Wano deserved higher tho

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Even if Skypeia wasn't a backdoor way for Oda to start introducing Important Lore poo poo, it would still be a top-tier arc based on Adventure, Vibes, and Boss Fight.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Eneru’s one of the best arc villains, dude just feels invincible on multiple levels even if the audience already knows how boned he is.

“It is not that people fear God, rather, it is that God is fear itself”

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

OP Live action

Not a huge fan of how they redid the Arlong arc

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Eneru is great but his underlings almost all suck (none of them really have any memorable aspects other than Gedatsu) and the Shandians are introduced and just start fighting without really having any time to establish themselves as characters. It's a shame because it is necessary and there are some good parts but it's just generally a very weak arc in terms of storytelling (and it feels bad to get introduced to all the cool wider world stuff in Jaya and then leave it behind for something irrelevant for 100 chapters).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Live Action through Episode 5: I like the melding of the Colby/Helmeppo training cover arc with the overall plot so far. Also :lol: at the only Kreig pirate to survive being Gin.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gyges posted:

Live Action through Episode 5: I like the melding of the Colby/Helmeppo training cover arc with the overall plot so far. Also :lol: at the only Kreig pirate to survive being Gin.

:sickos:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gyges posted:

Kild posted:

OP Live Action spoilers

They fact they changed a bunch of other stuff but not Kuina's death being an accident means its probably going to be something that gets explained more later?
It's all coming together

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

Yeah I like that too.

Garp just sics mihawk on them. lmfao

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Sanji and Zeff meeting: Sanji will cut a bitch who bring oregano near his dishes :lol:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gyges posted:

Sanji and Zeff meeting: Sanji will cut a bitch who bring oregano near his dishes :lol:

https://youtu.be/kPA90uCyc7A?si=8g8YAie39jKjAubY

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I love the thing where they introduce a pirate with their wanted poster appearing in front of them and swatting it away
i was about to say this, it's real fun

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Julias posted:

Juat want to point out that this is lovely click bait that was also wrong, that was Hassan's tier list, not Matt Owen's.

skimming the stream it seems to be matt owen's tier list.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Julias posted:

Juat want to point out that this is lovely click bait that was also wrong, that was Hassan's tier list, not Matt Owen's.

Just want to point out you are misspelling Hasan’s name, for what seems to be no reason and you didn’t even watch the stream. Why would anyone believe you. It’s Matt Owens’ tier list, they even talked about how the chat and community already know Hasan’s opinions on these arcs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well one point of difference between the manga/anime and the live action for certain: people sure as gently caress are dying in this :stare:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just want to point out you are misspelling Hasan’s name, for what seems to be no reason

lol what on earth is this

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Well one point of difference between the manga/anime and the live action for certain: people sure as gently caress are dying in this :stare:
I re-read Baratie the other day because of that preview clip and was kinda surprised to find how often Oda would draw dudes getting point-blank shot in the head with guns

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cat Machine posted:

I re-read Baratie the other day because of that preview clip and was kinda surprised to find how often Oda would draw dudes getting point-blank shot in the head with guns

Lucky Roux is a bad influence on Oda, he shows back up in the manga and Kidd goes from being half of ending an Emperor to eating hilarious amounts of poo poo!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh poo poo! Totally thought it was premiering tomorrow.

Can't watch it til later, but excited that people are five episodes in and aren't expressing hate for it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Luffy would try and recruit a bird

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I freaked the gently caress out when Lucky Roux appeared onscreen

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Nihilarian posted:

Luffy would try and recruit a bird

Karoo

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOmegaVirus/status/1697194519962497240

Tumblr is jump scaring its users with buggy senchou

Lmfao

He's just there, just off the middle of the page. Brilliant

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What’s the matter? Something Buggin’ ya?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i love live action buggy

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm only halfway through the first episode and I like what I've seen so far! Trying not to rush through it, because that's a boring adventure for me.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I haven’t watched any more of it yet but I was surprised to see Roger getting stabbed and then just bleeding out. I always assumed they were beheading him, this is much more brutal. Though I liked when Zoro cut Mr 7 in half, nice to see they remembered swords cut people.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Arist posted:

I freaked the gently caress out when Lucky Roux appeared onscreen

Lol, same. I also lost my poo poo when they were playing Bink's sake at Makino's bar.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Finally finished the last episode. Definitely the best adaptation ever. Some of the Arlong stuff I would do different, but it does tell the story well enough. Everything up to Baratie is as good or better than the early arcs in the manga or anime. Our continued faith in Gin is reinforced, and live action Buggy is even better than the manga. Lucky Roux's fighting is better than I ever dreamed. Ben Beckman is the only casting choice where I couldn't tell who they were as soon as they were on the screen.

Weird omissions
Hachi isn't even mentioned. Perhaps to preserve future changes in prosthetics/cgi.
Dragon doesn't even show up. There's a guy in a green cloak, but we don't see the actor and he's never mentioned.

The final scene is a nice teaser for people who are fans, but makes zero sense for people who this is their first voyage with the crew.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Man, I want to savor this, but people are already talking about the end!

I just watched the first episode and it's... really good!

Putting aside that it's One Piece, I'm not sure I've ever seen anything with this vibe before. It's got a very heightened kind of reality, and is still really visceral. I'm impressed by how much it feels like a cartoon.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

OPLA, non spoilers:

https://open.spotify.com/track/0j1fD8IIcdGR9rjknwaiGa

This is reminding me of Batman Returns, especially at the 3 minute mark where it's sliding from a Catwoman theme on strings into more Sad Dark Clown / Penguin's grief with cello against low brass

This easily could have been a Danny Elfman piece.

Fake edit: Oh my God, I'm so sorry about the slur in the pun I made last night, I didn't see it until an admin pointed it out to me in messages this morning. It's been cleared up, and I'm so sorry.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

Finally finished the last episode. Definitely the best adaptation ever. Some of the Arlong stuff I would do different, but it does tell the story well enough. Everything up to Baratie is as good or better than the early arcs in the manga or anime. Our continued faith in Gin is reinforced, and live action Buggy is even better than the manga. Lucky Roux's fighting is better than I ever dreamed. Ben Beckman is the only casting choice where I couldn't tell who they were as soon as they were on the screen.

Weird omissions
Hachi isn't even mentioned. Perhaps to preserve future changes in prosthetics/cgi.
Dragon doesn't even show up. There's a guy in a green cloak, but we don't see the actor and he's never mentioned.

The final scene is a nice teaser for people who are fans, but makes zero sense for people who this is their first voyage with the crew.

Yeah everything up to Baratie is good. It felt like it needed 2 more episodes either to end on Loguetown or to let what they had breathe a little especially with how much they changed about arlong park.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gyges posted:

Weird omissions

They really did Buggy some justice in OPLA, I wholeheartedly agree.

I am kinda glad they're not touching on Dragon. OnePiece is potentially way too much to dive into all at once in one season.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Fake edit: Oh my God, I'm so sorry about the slur in the pun I made last night, I didn't see it until an admin pointed it out to me in messages this morning. It's been cleared up, and I'm so sorry.
Lmao. Best manga, best live action adaptation, best thread

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Just watched the first episode. One Piece is good. :)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So after many, many tries, we finally have a good Live Action adaptation of an anime?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mraagvpeine posted:

So after many, many tries, we finally have a good Live Action adaptation of an anime?

Yes

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

I’m not understanding what the pun is supposed to be, when I saw it I didn’t see the pun or slur, just thought it was a standard issue shitpost.

I’m working but its a rainy day and I work from home, I really really want to watch the rest of it but I have to finish this work so I can be on vacation next week!

gently caress it, gonna put it on after lunchtime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mraagvpeine posted:

theres been a couple before (alita and supposedly the rurouni kenshin films), but this one is also good