Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mraagvpeine posted:

So after many, many tries, we finally have a good Live Action adaptation of an anime?

Speed Racer already existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lmao...

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mraagvpeine posted:

So after many, many tries, we finally have a good Live Action adaptation of an anime?

It remains my opinion that the Netflix Death Note movie is, frankly, better than the original, by virtue of choosing to be essentially the same story but not deeply meandering and highly misogynist.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Glad to hear live action One Piece is at least passable, though the real test will be to see if Netflix deigns to give it another season

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I'll be very surprised if it gets more than 4 seasons, to be honest, regardless of quality. And does the ongoing strike affect the filming of next seasons? I imagine the actors and the show's writers are part of their respective guilds

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm very curious about what people who aren't fans think of this strange pirate fantasy.

I'm glad it's got fan approval, and I'm very much looking forward to enjoying the rest of this season, but I'd be shocked if it even got a second season unless it finds significant appeal outside of existing fans of the manga.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

In the live action Kuro resembles Robbie Rotton and I can't unsee it

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

CatstropheWaitress posted:

In the live action Kuro resembles Robbie Rotton and I can't unsee it

We Are! Number One (Piece)

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

wonka-rear end series

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
After watching the first two episodes, I can say that the live action is better than I would have ever dared to hope.
Spot on casting, great set design, great action, good humor. I've gotten a few genuine laughs out of it already. The buggy fight was absolutely incredible.("Surprise, shithead!")

You know what, I actually enjoyed this more than the anime. This might actually be better than the source material.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’ve only seen the first two live action eps so far but it’s pretty decent! There are some changes I don’t really like that much but most of them work pretty well and the cast is really likable. The pacing was a bit weird in the first episode but the second was pretty solid. Id give it about a 7/10.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Garp in the white suit :swoon:

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
holy poo poo it was actually good

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I had a few things I wanted to see covered, and I was worried because one big character is "removed" in the streamline, but Don Krieg shows up just enough for Mihawk to cut his ship in two, and I was very happy. Showing Mihawk's power scale is one of the fun bits of his early appearance that I was hoping they would show that. Boo to his little ship not showing up though.

Biggest things missing I think that would affect the future is... No Hatchi at all. I guess he could be incorporated into Nami's backstory in a new flashback as someone who left Arlong, but still a bit of an odd choice. Of course the joke is, that Netflix will have long since canceled the series before it gets to season 5(?)

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 31, 2023

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Eneru is great but his underlings almost all suck (none of them really have any memorable aspects other than Gedatsu) and the Shandians are introduced and just start fighting without really having any time to establish themselves as characters. It's a shame because it is necessary and there are some good parts but it's just generally a very weak arc in terms of storytelling (and it feels bad to get introduced to all the cool wider world stuff in Jaya and then leave it behind for something irrelevant for 100 chapters).

The side bosses are kinda irrelevant, but that happens in every arc. Oda likes chumps, and has a thousand design ideas so it’s the cost of entry. On the plus side it does help make the world feel big and like an actual world instead of a microcosmic caricature of one.

Hard disagree on the storytelling parts, the shandians tie in very well to Norland’s backstory as does the foreshadowing of Joy Boy. That’s GREAT storytelling, especially considering the patience involved in planting those seeds so early and refraining to revisit the foreshadowing for so long in between.

More importantly, Skypeia is where the story shifts from a small adventure into an epic, a truly impressive work of literature and art across human history

Fight me I’ll loving kill you

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

being driven mad by netflix's lack of an in-player quality setting, i bet this show looks amazing but not running in continual 240p would sure help showcase that

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ok watched the first two eps and wow, first ep was actually pretty good! If I had not seen OP before, I don't think I would have been "wowed", but it was a good time!
The Buggy episode had a lot of cool visuals and moments, but it was pretty dark and slow which are the two things OP should not be. I think if it was shorter and denser, it would have been excellent.

The one thing I really dislike is the music. It's just a total non-factor and never amounts to more than vaguely pirate-themed background noise. Zero memorable tunes ahoy.

It's going to be interesting to see how non-fans like this, and if it gets more seasons.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

One Piece villain spotted

EDIT: Ma D. Owens

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Zoro is so cool. He's just like a samurai.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Potato Salad posted:

I am kinda glad they're not touching on Dragon. OnePiece is potentially way too much to dive into all at once in one season.

It's more that it's kind of confusing since they already cast an actor and did a big enough glow up about it that his presence was way more set than Kreig showing up.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GonSmithe posted:

No, it isn’t. It’s Matt’s.

Miching Mallecho posted:

His name is Hasan. One S.

anyone that watched the stream would see that Matt was doing it with Hasan having a dialogue and either agreeing with him or disagreeing with Matt's placement.

So Far I like the show, it's like the Lemony Snicket Netflix adaptation. Except with more money

Kild posted:

skimming the stream it seems to be matt owen's tier list.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just want to point out you are misspelling Hasan’s name, for what seems to be no reason and you didn’t even watch the stream. Why would anyone believe you. It’s Matt Owens’ tier list, they even talked about how the chat and community already know Hasan’s opinions on these arcs.

Whoops my bad on all fronts. Sorry for spreading misinformation.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think they officially cast Dragon or anything, just the extra who wore the cloak in Loguetown decided to post about it a lot on social media or something

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think they officially cast Dragon or anything, just the extra who wore the cloak in Loguetown decided to post about it a lot on social media or something

I could have sworn it was official release stuff that set off the weird race/nationality discussion of how a Scottish Grandpa ends up with a Brazilian Grandson.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm slightly disappointed that all the episodes were released at once

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

For whatever it's worth, Netflix did pony up for the complete Series of Unfortunate Events. This series so far (ep.4) really reminds of that -- which is a good thing. Sometimes looks cheap, but gets the tone and heart of it correct enough that it's easy to overlook.

It is really funny reading the manga and knowing what Garp can do and then watching the show and trying to picture them showing this guy leaping into the air and punching an island in half. They're handling the super powers pretty ok so far, but it's gonna be interesting when they get to the wilder fights like Doflamingo.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 31, 2023

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bluemillion posted:

After watching the first two episodes, I can say that the live action is better than I would have ever dared to hope.
Spot on casting, great set design, great action, good humor. I've gotten a few genuine laughs out of it already. The buggy fight was absolutely incredible.("Surprise, shithead!")

You know what, I actually enjoyed this more than the anime. This might actually be better than the source material.
better than the anime worse than the manga

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The live action is ok, but the pacing is atrocious. They could have easily stretched out the arcs they covered to around 100 episodes or so. To make it worse, they didn't even really dedicate any of the runtime to recaps, so I was constantly confused about what was happening. Just 40% or so of each episode to go over clips from the last episode would have really made it a much smoother watch. It was a valiant attempt, but the anime is still the superior medium to enjoy One Piece.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Gyges posted:

I could have sworn it was official release stuff that set off the weird race/nationality discussion of how a Scottish Grandpa ends up with a Brazilian Grandson.

The image that started that discussion was from a fan account on Twitter as far as I can tell.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Nihilarian posted:

better than the anime worse than the manga

Yeah, I'll agree with this tier list.

tweet my meat posted:

The live action is ok, but the pacing is atrocious. They could have easily stretched out the arcs they covered to around 100 episodes or so. To make it worse, they didn't even really dedicate any of the runtime to recaps, so I was constantly confused about what was happening. Just 40% or so of each episode to go over clips from the last episode would have really made it a much smoother watch. It was a valiant attempt, but the anime is still the superior medium to enjoy One Piece.

lol

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

I couldn’t figure out what was missing, but I think this post nailed it. The biggest, most glaring omission though is the lack of reaction shots. I’m extremely disappointed in the amateur level of cinematography here. All I’m asking for is one or two minutes spent in a slow pan across a closeup of every character introduced since the beginning of the show every time something happens, is that too much to ask?

Also not to nitpick but, still on ep 3 but I haven’t seen Garp pick his nose at all, hope I didn’t miss it

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Also not to nitpick but, still on ep 3 but I haven’t seen Garp pick his nose at all, hope I didn’t miss it
Sadly, a lot of the goofiness is gone. The unique laughters are missing as well. It has a bit more of a ”serious” tone to it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

anime haters begone.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

East Blue anime owns

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Coby: I should've known Garp and Luffy were related, they both love meat!
Helmeppo: :raise:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's very funny to me that Helmeppo starts with the later, longer haircut, then Zoro gives him his initial bowlcut

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I couldn’t figure out what was missing, but I think this post nailed it. The biggest, most glaring omission though is the lack of reaction shots. I’m extremely disappointed in the amateur level of cinematography here. All I’m asking for is one or two minutes spent in a slow pan across a closeup of every character introduced since the beginning of the show every time something happens, is that too much to ask?
Someone needs to do this edit

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tumblr Buggy is my friend

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

ok the tv show covinced me that kuina's dad didnt kill her

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Bisse posted:

Sadly, a lot of the goofiness is gone. The unique laughters are missing as well. It has a bit more of a ”serious” tone to it.

We get at least one good ZYAHHAHA from Arlong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HOLY poo poo LUCKY ROUX