Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Moai Ou posted:

And my last kit for backlogust is, appropriately, is of a model kit maker.

Rules.

So many stickers. There are certainly parts that yearn to be free, but it really doesn't deserve the reputation of hand grenade. Definitely worth the $12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Last one for me done:

Nice simple build, I have a bunch of build fighters accessories I think I'm gonna attach to it

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

wdarkk posted:

I liked the MKII accessories I had so much that I'm doing a HG MKII to go with them.

The HG is mostly pretty nice, but a tad floppy at the waist.

Probably my last kit for backlogust, HG Calibarn. I'm going to try and use markers instead of stickers for the broom, all that green isn't show-accurate! It's light blue!

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chrome line posted:

Very fun kit to spend an hour on and be done with

Not really a fan of this one, I only got it because it was 10$ off. It was a decent $19 buy but I wouldn't want to get it for the full $30

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Prof. Banks posted:

Rules.

So many stickers. There are certainly parts that yearn to be free, but it really doesn't deserve the reputation of hand grenade. Definitely worth the $12.

You pulled the RG Zaku for $12? I couldn't get one for less than $40 after tax, good find.

It's not really a hand grenade, just finicky fingers and the side skirts should be glued. It's otherwise a very solid kit. The counter rotating monoeye gimmick is really cool.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
Just got back into gunpla, had a few 1/100 HG wing kits in 2000 when I was a kid. Saw some post on the 1st about the anniversary of EW OVA then I saw massive displays out here in Hawaii at Don Quijote. This month I bought several kits and blew like 2k, cleared most of my office shelves of 40k, BT, and FFG board games to accommodate the kits.

Hirm Wing Ew
Hirm Wing Zero EW
Hirm Barbatos
MG Gundam Base Limited Special Coating Epyon
MG Gundam Base Limited Special Coating Deathscythe Hell
Supernova Snow White Prelude
P-Bandai PG Unicorn Perfectibility - December preorder
-Kosmos LED kit
-PG Studios Uni Perf etchings.
RG TV Wing for my desk at work.

Still need to get ahold of the MJH LED kit for the clear psycho frame. DM me if you have a line on one.

So far I only have HIRM Wing Zero and MG Epyon in and both are built and displayed. Super fun and relaxing to build these, way more fun than building 40k crap.

https://imgur.com/gallery/E7BuhC7
https://imgur.com/gallery/oKJagIs

Arione fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 31, 2023

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Asteroid Alert posted:

Decided that my next (probably final) backlogust project will be the Full Mechanics Aerial. I'd love to build more, but traveling for the next few days is cutting into building time. So Aerial it shall be.

There were some nice gimmicks and undergates are a godsend. Ok build.

It's still august so might as well challenge for ONE. MORE. KIT.

Saturn time, baby.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Zeta Ka finished tonight, what a ride.

I am not like a giant Zeta fan but drat this kit is crazy. The transformation is really intuitive and the model looks great. The only issue is that due to it being a transformer it can be awkward to hold while you're trying to pose of detach/attach parts.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Asteroid Alert posted:

Saturn time, baby.

And that's Saturn. Nice, quick build.

My backlogust is over, but the backlog itself sure isn't close to being over.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Asteroid Alert posted:

And that's Saturn. Nice, quick build.

My backlogust is over, but the backlog itself sure isn't close to being over.

Now get yourself some electronics and build a bootleg Saturn emulator inside your Saturn model kit. Call it a Real Grade.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Hey, I also just finished my RG Char build! First RG build and had a great time. The front skirt sections will fall off at a moments notice but other than that no build issues.

One Q though, it was my first time with decals and I feel like "just sticking them on" ends with kind of crap results. It looks fine on the shelf, but up close you can tell where the decals are and the application isn't completely even... Sort of hard to describe but there's just some inconsistency in the texture. Additionally there are a few decals that wrap around tighter curves (the ankle decals, right above the feet come to mind) that just don't stay stuck down on the curve. I solved it by trimming the overhang with an exacto and the final result is completely acceptable, but feels like I missed something.

Oh, I also full gave up on the absolute smallest metallic decals that go on the back because while placing them they just jumped everywhere. After 10 minutes of failing to get them in location, I decided fuckit.

How do I decal thread?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

DrHammond posted:

Hey, I also just finished my RG Char build! First RG build and had a great time. The front skirt sections will fall off at a moments notice but other than that no build issues.

One Q though, it was my first time with decals and I feel like "just sticking them on" ends with kind of crap results. It looks fine on the shelf, but up close you can tell where the decals are and the application isn't completely even... Sort of hard to describe but there's just some inconsistency in the texture. Additionally there are a few decals that wrap around tighter curves (the ankle decals, right above the feet come to mind) that just don't stay stuck down on the curve. I solved it by trimming the overhang with an exacto and the final result is completely acceptable, but feels like I missed something.

Oh, I also full gave up on the absolute smallest metallic decals that go on the back because while placing them they just jumped everywhere. After 10 minutes of failing to get them in location, I decided fuckit.

How do I decal thread?

go on ebay and buy the appropriate water slide kit, I never use included stickers or rub transfers

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

DrHammond posted:

How do I decal thread?
Yeah if you're not happy with decals it's time to invest in waterslides, there is no comparison in appearance when you have the hang of them. Bandai do waterslides for some kits they sell separately but even if you're lucky and they do it for your specific kit the waterslides are still super-thick and kind of noticable, so I usually invest in third-party sellers like Evo/SIMP, Delphi or Flaming Snow.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

DrHammond posted:

How do I decal thread?

Here's a few tips:
Pick the decals up off the sheet with the edge of a hobby knife. Be careful to get under the edge and not damage the decal.
Apply one edge of the decal first, then smooth down with something small and blunt like a tooth pick. Make sure the decal is affixed evenly.
Wrap-around decals don't work as well as Bandai wishes they did, but they can work OK with patience. Apply one side like normal, smooth out slowly and lift up if the decal isn't in the right place. Tweezers help with larger decals.
There's no way to make the edges invisible up close. You can cut out as much of the design on the decal as possible to reduce the amount of edge.
Water slide decals are many many many times better than sticker or dry transfer decals. They take some practice and you should have at least mark setter but it's worth it.

Lots of people will be vocal about hating decals and stickers. This is your hobby, something you do for fun in your spare time. If you don't like them, don't do them. If you like them, take the time and practice slowly and get better.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Backlaugust complete!

Gundam Pharact is an interesting build. That's a huge backpack with a ton of parts, you are far from done when you finish the body and limbs. I did have to apply some nail polish to the peg for the front parts of both set, but now it's nice and snug.

Yes, I built the head. Yes, it'd be on there if it hadn't disappeared.

mllaneza posted:

And I'm throwing down for another HG, the Pharact:

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chrome line posted:

Not really a fan of this one, I only got it because it was 10$ off. It was a decent $19 buy but I wouldn't want to get it for the full $30

And with that I'm done for the month. I had fun! The Origin RX-78 is detailed in some fun ways but it's still definitely a high grade. I'll take a picture of the entire Backlogust haul all together later today or tomorrow

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Wasn't gonna, then I did.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Holy robots! I got nothing on the lot of you, but here's the one I managed to get out of my backlog:

It's a kit I revisited, and here's a side by side:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whats a decal setter actually do? I'm assuming a decal softener makes a decal softer and more likely to shape well to non flat surfaces?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Setter is for better grip on the surface. Softener is exactly what you said.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Pierson posted:

Setter is for better grip on the surface. Softener is exactly what you said.

Yeah, it's just glue. It allows water slides to actually stick to the model and not just wander off by themselves.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Backlogust penultimate update check your points or else

Tergaso posted:

Guntank!

And I may not get this finished by the end of the month, but I was able to get an HG Turn A Gundam.

2 points, plus HG logged.

chrome line posted:

It turns out this wasn't actually the last of my backlog! I'd had this hiding in my closet for probably a few years and completely forgotten about it until I found it yesterday.

Really quick and easy kit, pretty fun.

And I ended up at the mall today and picked up some more, so we'll see if I can finish any of these by the end of the day tomorrow

I think Origin Grandpa is my favorite RX-79 I’ve built, so good choice. .5 possible for the EG. 1 point for an HG, which was logged, along with the others. You posted quickly, so I’ve also chalked up your EG, .5 to you.

Moai Ou posted:

And done!

I love the look of this. I'll have to get my hands on more clear kits down the road.

1 point. I do so love the model kit of the thing that makes the model kits.

Prof. Banks posted:

Rules.

Two points, mostly for stickers and beads.

boz posted:

Last one for me done:

Nice simple build, I have a bunch of build fighters accessories I think I'm gonna attach to it

Would that I could award you extra points for Haro reasons, but fairness gives you 1 point.

wdarkk posted:

Probably my last kit for backlogust, HG Calibarn. I'm going to try and use markers instead of stickers for the broom, all that green isn't show-accurate! It's light blue!

1 point, and logged. The Titans HG MK II was pretty okay in that regard, weirdly enough.

chrome line posted:

1 point.

Asteroid Alert posted:

Saturn time, baby.

2 points, and .5 for the Saturn ‘cause they’re teeny.

mllaneza posted:

Backlaugust complete!

Gundam Pharact is an interesting build. That's a huge backpack with a ton of parts, you are far from done when you finish the body and limbs. I did have to apply some nail polish to the peg for the front parts of both set, but now it's nice and snug.

Yes, I built the head. Yes, it'd be on there if it hadn't disappeared.

We operate on the head honor system in this thread. One point.

chrome line posted:

And with that I'm done for the month. I had fun! The Origin RX-78 is detailed in some fun ways but it's still definitely a high grade. I'll take a picture of the entire Backlogust haul all together later today or tomorrow

And one last point.

nitsuga posted:

Holy robots! I got nothing on the lot of you, but here's the one I managed to get out of my backlog:

It's a kit I revisited, and here's a side by side:

:sickos: Excellent, excellent. Be thinking if you want a robot or a traditional model kit. Five points for this excellent chaos mode kit.

Backlogust is open until the last point at which it is August 31st on the planet Earth, so get your poo poo together! I'm not kidding about checking your points totals! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1spTf3jEQ82AcdKjs8rlo5iKxjp9NIfgetxeZlRKCZXQ/edit?usp=sharing

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I've just finished the Cucuruz Doan's Island Guncannon. It's definitely in the top ten of HGs I've ever put together. It's got me sort of hankering to complete the original White Base suits. What's the best 144 Guntank?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

oops i didnt manage much this month

well 2 kits in a month is still more than i usually do, so mission accomplished

not sure I'm a fan of some of these c-clip connections on this one, and a few nubs on the red parts were annoying, but still a cool design. just noticing now looking at this picture that one of the clear bits fell off. i found it but i better glue it before it disappears forever.

also spent some time touching up this one a little, just a bit of detail paint, panel lining, the decals, and a top coat.

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 1, 2023

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Well thanks for all the info re: decals. I suppose I did about as well as I could with what I have. Now that I'm home, have some actual shots:

+ My Ariel

Wife made me promise only one backlog box at a time, but when I told her I was going to the hobby store she forgot I already had one and encouraged me to pick up a cool Gunpla. :devil:

Which one next?

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Moai Ou posted:

Done! A simple little kit, but I love that there's a barely-visible sprue on the mold inside the machine:

And with that, I'm done. Made a decent dent in my backlog with 10 kits done. But the Sisyphean task continues since two P-Bandai kits arrived this month, I picked up the RG Hi-Nu and ordered the Moderoid Big O.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

grassy gnoll posted:

Backlogust is open until the last point at which it is August 31st on the planet Earth, so get your poo poo together! I'm not kidding about checking your points totals! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1spTf3jEQ82AcdKjs8rlo5iKxjp9NIfgetxeZlRKCZXQ/edit?usp=sharing

You have the EG Nu Gundam on there but not the half point for it

Dreqqus posted:

I've just finished the Cucuruz Doan's Island Guncannon. It's definitely in the top ten of HGs I've ever put together. It's got me sort of hankering to complete the original White Base suits. What's the best 144 Guntank?

As far as I can tell your only option is the HGUC from 2000. There's also the prototype from the Origin line but that's very different from the White Base one and probably not what you're looking for

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spreadsheet question. You called out 2 points for my Pharact, but the sheet has HGs at one point. It's got more parts than the average HG, but it's an HG. Should there be a point in the Misc. column?

Also, I would support a half point for the Haro. because Haro.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Complete. Beautiful kit, might have to nail polish or something to make the crotch clear piece stay in better but otherwise it's perfect. You'll note from the sticker sheet that I took "never use a sticker when you can use a marker" seriously. Also note that I went and did color accurate paint for the broom thrusters.

I would be done now but I think I'm tied for first place, so let's try and get in a cheeky little tiebreaker.

Gundam Base Haro.
EDIT: Gundam Side F Haro, mislabeled it.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 1, 2023

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

grassy gnoll posted:

Backlogust penultimate update check your points or else

I think you gave me credit for an extra HG kit. I only completed 7, the Zeta was a partial build. Unless you're already counting the Turn A.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Complete. Beautiful kit, might have to nail polish or something to make the crotch clear piece stay in better but otherwise it's perfect. You'll note from the sticker sheet that I took "never use a sticker when you can use a marker" seriously. Also note that I went and did color accurate paint for the broom thrusters.

I would be done now but I think I'm tied for first place, so let's try and get in a cheeky little tiebreaker.

Gundam Base Haro.
EDIT: Gundam Side F Haro, mislabeled it.

Done. That's all I can physically do, if Tergaso has any more they're gonna beat me.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

wdarkk posted:

The top half of mine is basically just sitting on the waist with how loose it is.

DrHammond posted:

How do I decal thread?

Those little decals were awful. I also messed up when I first started and didn't realize there were two sets of numbered stickers and messed one up forcing it in a place it was not supposed to go. Thankfully, I was able to exacto a bit of the surrounding bit on the sticker sheet and make a new close-enough sticker to replace it. My front skirts are the part that pops off the most as well. Those, the fingers, and the antenna are really the only bits that are trying to escape.

Arc Hammer posted:

You pulled the RG Zaku for $12? I couldn't get one for less than $40 after tax, good find.

It's not really a hand grenade, just finicky fingers and the side skirts should be glued. It's otherwise a very solid kit. The counter rotating monoeye gimmick is really cool.

I got it at Hobby Lobby. List price was $20, but with their bi-weekly 40% off model kits sale it was just $12 plus tax, so like $13.10 or so all told. Last time I went they didn't have the Zaku anymore, but they did have a RG grandpa. It's listed at $30, so it'd be like $20 after tax. It may come home with me soon.

That monoeye gimmick surprised and impressed me.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Really tiny stickers I usually place by getting them barely balanced on a pin, holding them into place, and pressing down. Usually this works, and there's some mild panic when it doesn't.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chrome line posted:

I thought about buying a third HG yesterday but figured there'd be no way I finished the ones I did pick up. Oh well!

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
∀ Gundam done!

wow, these photos turned out not so good, but the panel lining is wonderful on this kit. Shame the beam rifle is tough to pose with, it has a traditional grip and an option for a side handle on the back of the stock. Which looks cool when the hands aren't popping off trying to get it into position.

Group shot! Thank you everyone for a wonderful month of Gunpla!

wait, something feels off about this...

Forgot the Dijeh!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is that a 1/100 Acguy? chonky

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Skrillmub posted:

Yeah, it's just glue. It allows water slides to actually stick to the model and not just wander off by themselves.

I've never done waterslides before and the only kits that I own that have them are my chinese thor and bootleg warrior Zaku. I figured I was just going to apply the decals, panel lining and then mat top coat them. But I guess if I do that I will blow off the waterslides? Or are softeners and setters optional?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mindblast posted:

I've never done waterslides before and the only kits that I own that have them are my chinese thor and bootleg warrior Zaku. I figured I was just going to apply the decals, panel lining and then mat top coat them. But I guess if I do that I will blow off the waterslides? Or are softeners and setters optional?

Softers and setters are optional, but as long as you aren't blasting 100psi a half inch from the surface you're good to spray a coat over the decals even if you use them. A topcoat over decals is always a good idea, without one they're very easy to damage when handling the model, and softers make them even more fragile.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Mindblast posted:

You won't blow them off. As long as they've dried they'll be fine when topcoating. But, you will find that if you so much as graze an applied decal while putting another one on there's a good chance it will come off. That's where mark setter makes life better.
You should panel line before you do decals. Unless you're extremely precise you'll probably end up smearing some of the panel liner into the decal when you're cleaning up, which will outline the edge of the decal.
In my experience, the worst waterslides are the ones from Bandai. They just don't work at all without setter. I haven't made Thor yet but I suspect its decals are way easier to work with. Even bootleg kits seem to put the extra effort into waterslides that actually stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
When I started seriously using waterslides for every single model I got two things that made it all infinitely quicker and easier: A universal work holder and a decal sponge box:

Before I was just sticking a piece to my desk with blu-tack so I couldn't really do anything but one panel at a time, and the holder/vise let me move and twist it around to present whatever surface I needed without touching the actual part and risking the decals already on it. The latter let me cut out, douse and keep wet a bunch of decals at the same time so I could do entire sections/limbs/sides at once instead of putting every decal on a little bit of cloth and transferring it before it dried out, and without leaving a bunch in a watery dish and hoping they didn't drift away. It took me like four days to decal my Stein Ka before I got this stuff, I did every waterslide on my Zeta Ka in like three sessions in a single night.

The former is like £20 for an unbranded one (they're all the same, just try to find one with a lot of weight in the base) and the box is like £4 off Aliexpress if you search 'Model Decals Moisturizing Box '.

Edit: Also yeah Bandai decals are just not good. Super-thick so they don't contour well and lovely sticking power when they're on.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 1, 2023