Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i'm reading Unwanted Guest and mother of Jod, this is what I live for and stars my two favorite characters in the entire series (with guest appearance from at least one of the characters in a Mr Burns Diseases tie for third)

it's also incredibly loving weird, which is no surprise at all

e: sticks the landing, what a lovely 32 pages

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

can't believe you're not all discussing the most crucial reveal in Unwanted Guest

quote:

Voice: Yes. But I'm really not allowed to tell you. It was something awful... in the old sense of the word.

Does Dulcinea have stairs in her house?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

cptn_dr posted:

Yep!

15 mls Lemon juice
15 mls creme de violette

Shaken with ice, strained into a coupe and topped off with Prosecco (or other sparkling wine of your choice).

You can also stir the lemon and violet with ice, which is maybe a little more practical with such small quantities, but shaking will give a slightly better result.

You can bump the quantity of violet up by another 5mls or so too, depending on how much you like violet.

Edit: It's pretty dry, if you prefer sweeter you can add a barspoon of simple syrup to the mix as well, but I tend not to.
That looks good!
I much, much prefer shaken drinks because I love the little ice shards that melt on your tongue (first sip only)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

josh04 posted:

can't believe you're not all discussing the most crucial reveal in Unwanted Guest

Does Dulcinea have stairs in her house?

I was also wondering that

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Attributing Goonness to someone for simply using the words "something awful" is even worse than the same poo poo John Oliver after he said "comedy gold" or some other common turn of phrase that the forums functionality makes use of.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Muir memes like a motherfucker in the series and also I'm told she is/was on SA. So it may be a deliberate winking choice, it may not be, or it may be a deliberate choice to provoke this reaction to thinking it was a deliberate winking choice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

disposablewords posted:

Muir memes like a motherfucker in the series and also I'm told she is/was on SA. So it may be a deliberate winking choice, it may not be, or it may be a deliberate choice to provoke this reaction to thinking it was a deliberate winking choice.

Yeah, she did a 'jail for mother, jail for one thousand years' at one point so nothing is off the table.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
the entire series is a setup for facing god and walking backward into hell

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

Attributing Goonness to someone for simply using the words "something awful" is even worse than the same poo poo John Oliver after he said "comedy gold" or some other common turn of phrase that the forums functionality makes use of.

Yeah but most people aren't trying to cram as many internet meme references into their book as possible. She doesn't even have to have ever been a goon to intentionally reference SA.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, she did a 'jail for mother, jail for one thousand years' at one point so nothing is off the table.

She actually references this one twice in Harrow

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah but most people aren't trying to cram as many internet meme references into their book as possible. She doesn't even have to have ever been a goon to intentionally reference SA.
Right, but then she'd reference the SA-relevant meme, not just use the phrase "something awful".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Organza Quiz posted:

I don't think she tries, she just does.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oh she's trying, her editor has made her take some out iirc, and she's proud of having some specific ones slip through.

GooseLoon
Jul 21, 2003
My buttocks are unequivocal
Muir is definitely a goon and there is at least one flash tub reference in there, I’m holding out for a fireman sniper shoutout

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Muir's also slipped in some Homestuck, yeah? I swear I recall being warned about stairs (dog).

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Dawgstar posted:

Muir's also slipped in some Homestuck, yeah? I swear I recall being warned about stairs (dog).

She used to write Homestuck fanfic (iirc one of them is an AU that you can apparently see some of the bones [heh] of TLT in but I haven't bothered digging into it that far).

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
In an interview with a podcast, he editor did tell her at one point, "Tamsyn, you can't include a reference to a 2009 Something Awful Let's Play in your sci-fi novel..."

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Her editor is a coward.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Speaking of memes in The Unwanted Guest

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Welp, finished The Mysterious Study of Doctor Sex. Thanks, I needed that heartbreak. Apart from the gut-punch of the ending, finding out I would have liked the real Dulcinea a lot was painful.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I find it delightful that Palamedes built up and fell in love with an idealized image of a woman in his head who happened to be named Dulcinaea.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BTW, the "Beguiling Corpse" theorem may be a reference to the Exquisite Corpse game invented by the Surrealists. You fold a paper into segments. The first player writes* writes part of a story and hands it over to the second writer. The second writer writes another part of the story and folds the paper so that the first player's contribution cannot be seen. Repeat until everybody's written; then open the paper and see the wild twists the story takes.

It's fun.

* Sometimes artists play this and draw instead of writing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Happy Landfill posted:

In an interview with a podcast, he editor did tell her at one point, "Tamsyn, you can't include a reference to a 2009 Something Awful Let's Play in your sci-fi novel..."

Can you hook me up with this, and was it "move faster, pokey"?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i think muir was a goon way back in the day but hasn't posted for years, so the general 'if it looks like a meme, it is' rubric can be applied

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Should be "Bonus: Absolute Psychedelic Nonsense with Carl Engle-Laird" from the One Flesh, One End podcast, 4/29/2022

I'm sad the podcast hasn't had any episodes since last year though.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Should be "Bonus: Absolute Psychedelic Nonsense with Carl Engle-Laird" from the One Flesh, One End podcast, 4/29/2022

I'm sad the podcast hasn't had any episodes since last year though.

Yeah, I miss it :( they're both in various levels of acadamia, so I get it. They do really great analysis

DoctorWhat posted:

Pretty sure it was a Mr. Bone's Wild Ride joke, which is from an LP that I don't think is in the Archive, so that's a deep cut

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeah, I miss it :( they're both in various levels of acadamia, so I get it. They do really great analysis

Pretty sure it was a Mr. Bone's Wild Ride joke, which is from an LP that I don't think is in the Archive, so that's a deep cut

Thankfully there's The Locked Tomb Podcast, which just updated with some John chapters!!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mr. Bones' Wild Ride is from 4chan and became pretty well known on the internet on its own

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Harrowhark remains an all-time great fantasy name

Mercymorn too, although it feels a bit like reusing the name principles that already worked for harrow

Coronabeth is pretty good but also is the sort of thing a mormon irl could easily come up with, if the number of Bradyannes and Ellajanes I've encountered is anything to go by

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gideon is actually p great too

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

PupsOfWar posted:

Harrowhark remains an all-time great fantasy name

Mercymorn too, although it feels a bit like reusing the name principles that already worked for harrow

That’s intentional, the naming explainer at the end of GtN says Nine Houses names are often name+particle where the particle has some secondary meaning that’s rarely explained in the text.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I read the short story and it was pleasant to read, however what concerns the punchline that Ianthe is merging with Naberius - so what? Why should I or her or anyone give a poo poo? What does it really change in principle or in terms of book plot?

Also, what concerns Nona, it kinda left me with a nagging sensation that there is no longer a reason to care about character's fates. IMO Muir overdone it with evolving the rules of necromancy, at this stage she can pull anyone's soul from the river, merge souls, split souls, resurrrect souls. So what does it matter if a character dies?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Sekenr posted:

I read the short story and it was pleasant to read, however what concerns the punchline that Ianthe is merging with Naberius - so what? Why should I or her or anyone give a poo poo? What does it really change in principle or in terms of book plot?

Also, what concerns Nona, it kinda left me with a nagging sensation that there is no longer a reason to care about character's fates. IMO Muir overdone it with evolving the rules of necromancy, at this stage she can pull anyone's soul from the river, merge souls, split souls, resurrrect souls. So what does it matter if a character dies?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It doesn't change much about the plot but it shows us that Ianthe is actually off her game in some ways, and that's how Pal won in the brain fight over Naberius's body. Ianthe's always been presented as one step ahead, the most cunning rear end in a top hat of the whole thing. And she still is, but despite that she can be beat. I think it's also important to have this confirmation that Corona really does mean so much to her, to get it straight from Ianthe that Lyctorhood would not be worth eating her sister, even setting aside the considerations of Corona being unsuitable for those auto-pilot times when the cavalier's soul runs the body. As well, I can see the realization that souls are somewhat miscible meaning she might now change her mind and try for a bonus consumption of her sister sometime going forward so they can be "truly united" or something, which could blow up in her face fantastically.

As for the second point, it's necromancy so I went in assuming character death would get really fucky and have stakes other than someone merely dying. After all, Cam and Pal do not exist anymore, and Paul as their "child" is going to be achingly familiar but different for anyone who knew and loved them. Gideon seems to have been changed immensely, either through temporal power or being dead for a while or possibly through having a meaningful chunk of her soul shredded out to feed Harrow. Or some mix of the lot. And now Nona as a person is gone as well. The stakes aren't the death of the body, but the loss of and inability to re-attain what was once had.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

https://twitter.com/vermilion_shade/status/1697343072953151858

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Sekenr posted:

Muir hasn't evolved the rules of necromancy. In the first book, Muir is constantly talking abou the Resurrecting King, and characters routinely discuss the Resurrection, making it abundantly clear that bringing someone back from the dead, totally, is in the cards. Why John hasn't decided to do this a lot more often is an interesting question. The short story hasn't changed any rules; as far as we know, Lyctorhood still can't be undone. All this has done is give new insight into the nature of Lyctorhood, and more importantly, the true nature of Ianthe when she isn't putting on a front. Harrow already made clear that nobody knows what the hell is going on in the River, so what is possible has always been a question none of the characters can agree on. The stories clearly are pointing to an ending that will have to do with revelations, that is, that the resolution will come in part through characters achieving new understandings of the mysteries of necromancy, the universe, and the nature of the divine. And as disposablewords points out, the characters are changing--the stakes aren't simply 'life or death,' but the internal state of them. Also, it's a series about necromancy, one should expect death to be hosed with.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Mr. Bones' Wild Ride is from 4chan and became pretty well known on the internet on its own

Well, I'm huge dope, then :doh: Could have sworn Mr Bones was another one of those things that are commonly attributed to 4chan but actually came from here

Now I really want to know what the Forbidden SA Reference That Carl Wouldn't Let Her Include In Her SciFi Novel is :getin:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

disposablewords posted:

It doesn't change much about the plot but it shows us that Ianthe is actually off her game in some ways, and that's how Pal won in the brain fight over Naberius's body. Ianthe's always been presented as one step ahead, the most cunning rear end in a top hat of the whole thing. And she still is, but despite that she can be beat. I think it's also important to have this confirmation that Corona really does mean so much to her, to get it straight from Ianthe that Lyctorhood would not be worth eating her sister, even setting aside the considerations of Corona being unsuitable for those auto-pilot times when the cavalier's soul runs the body. As well, I can see the realization that souls are somewhat miscible meaning she might now change her mind and try for a bonus consumption of her sister sometime going forward so they can be "truly united" or something, which could blow up in her face fantastically.

As for the second point, it's necromancy so I went in assuming character death would get really fucky and have stakes other than someone merely dying. After all, Cam and Pal do not exist anymore, and Paul as their "child" is going to be achingly familiar but different for anyone who knew and loved them. Gideon seems to have been changed immensely, either through temporal power or being dead for a while or possibly through having a meaningful chunk of her soul shredded out to feed Harrow. Or some mix of the lot. And now Nona as a person is gone as well. The stakes aren't the death of the body, but the loss of and inability to re-attain what was once had.

Excellent post, ty

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Something that's been nagging at me, and I'm not sure if this is something that will be explained later or not...and if not, it's not like, immersion breaking or anything but it has me curious (spoiler'd just in case, but really only for Gideon) When it comes to the Tridentarii-- why one Cavalier for what everyone believed to be two necromancers? If everyone thought Coronabeth was also a Necro, why didn't she also get her own Cav? Why was Babs cavalier to them both? Unwanted Guest reveals that Babs was Cav'd at birth, and if the Twin's dad was super invested in the idea of a matching pair why not a second Cav?

Any one have any speculation? Been thinking about this for a while and I don't recall it ever going in to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Happy Landfill posted:

Something that's been nagging at me, and I'm not sure if this is something that will be explained later or not...and if not, it's not like, immersion breaking or anything but it has me curious (spoiler'd just in case, but really only for Gideon) When it comes to the Tridentarii-- why one Cavalier for what everyone believed to be two necromancers? If everyone thought Coronabeth was also a Necro, why didn't she also get her own Cav? Why was Babs cavalier to them both? Unwanted Guest reveals that Babs was Cav'd at birth, and if the Twin's dad was super invested in the idea of a matching pair why not a second Cav?

Any one have any speculation? Been thinking about this for a while and I don't recall it ever going in to it

(GtN)

The twins were homeschooled together to cover it up, and were sent to Canaan House together because the Third play fast and loose with the rules and to keep up the illusion. The letter said to send the heir and their cav, they claimed they were both born simultaneously so they’re both the heir, following the letter of the law (one heir, one cav) and not the spirit (two people, not three).

Additionally, if Coronabeth was left on Ida without her sister, it’d be pretty obvious pretty quickly that she’s not an adept.