Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also want to thank Jojolands for introducing me to Sade and Smooth Operator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Meh. Fun Fun Fun was a better first fight than that was.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Jodio's cool

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Reread was well worth it, JJL is peak, it's got a vibe all its own and I love the extended family cast, how it wraps them all in at the end. For all their weirdness, there are moments of real humanity to this story that I'm not in a place to sum up now. Feel much better on the ending on this pass, Wonder of U's p good! Puttin it right in the big best part tie.

The final villain is fine. They and their stand sure are creepy, and I think Araki does p well by them in terms of setup/buildup/payoff but they in themselves aren't really the whole point. The villain is the family curse, a sense of dread and evil rapidly hemming in on them, and the story plays it like the rock ppl are like a natural incarnation or extension of it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

89 years old........

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I actually didn't have a problem with the final antagonist being who it was, and the fight itself was good (most of it, anyway; count me among the people who did not like the rock animals angle), but it just went on for way too long. It seriously lasts for 34 chapters, which is 11 longer than D4C (which includes Who Shot Johnny, the train chase, and the fight on the beach).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Waffleman_ posted:

89 years old........

Apparently it might have been wordplay that Rai kept bringing it up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Okay now explain the winter catfish from SBR

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Docile.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just can't jive with a mystery story where most of the answers end up being "eh it didn't really matter" or "oh I totally forgot to resolve that one oh well"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm not a big fan of the final couple chapters being a complete non sequitur with Lucy and another dumb rock animal, with like only three pages to wrap up the actual characters of the part

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Will we ever find out what happened to Holly? :(

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Died of a cold

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Poor Holly, thought of stand and died

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

One of the things that bugged me the most was the flash forward with Tsurugi and Norisuke that never actually happens. Seemed like a pretty weird oversight.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

89 years old........

My mama, God rest her soul

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

TriffTshngo posted:

I actually didn't have a problem with the final antagonist being who it was, and the fight itself was good (most of it, anyway; count me among the people who did not like the rock animals angle), but it just went on for way too long. It seriously lasts for 34 chapters, which is 11 longer than D4C (which includes Who Shot Johnny, the train chase, and the fight on the beach).

I wouldn't go by chapter count since monthly chapters are inconsistent with their length; page count, or even volume count, is more accurate.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

a

winter

catfish.

What the gently caress Araki

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I don't get what's so hard to understand about winter catfish. They're fuckin' docile!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Especially in winter

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Reread was well worth it, JJL is peak, it's got a vibe all its own and I love the extended family cast, how it wraps them all in at the end. For all their weirdness, there are moments of real humanity to this story that I'm not in a place to sum up now. Feel much better on the ending on this pass, Wonder of U's p good! Puttin it right in the big best part tie.

The final villain is fine. They and their stand sure are creepy, and I think Araki does p well by them in terms of setup/buildup/payoff but they in themselves aren't really the whole point. The villain is the family curse, a sense of dread and evil rapidly hemming in on them, and the story plays it like the rock ppl are like a natural incarnation or extension of it

I'd love to hear your take on said moments of humanity when/if you have the time and inclination for it, because a lot of latter JJL fell flat for me, and I'd like to appreciate better what it does do well and I missed or didn't land for me.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

I'd love to hear your take on said moments of humanity when/if you have the time and inclination for it, because a lot of latter JJL fell flat for me, and I'd like to appreciate better what it does do well and I missed or didn't land for me.

It's hard to know where to start, there's so much about family and sacrifice and all the binge reading has left it all a big slurry in my head, but I think I got what Araki was putting down when Tsurugi was begging his grandpa to sell Josuke out and he stuck by him instead. The family hasn't been so welcoming, and danger is pressing in, but like Giorno, Jousuke is a straightforward guy, somewhat stoic-presenting, but capable of proving through action and his forthright character that it's worth placing one's trust in him. Trust and connections in outsiders from outside the family is a thread throughout all of JoJo, from mentors and comrades to underpowered characters from Smokey to Hayate and Emporio, and its trust in Josuke and Yasuho, despite friction and against all odds, that saves them all in the end.

(Cuz rock people can't do families or love, hah-hah)

The two of them are always calling for each other's help and rushing to the other in turn so desperately. At a certain point, with all the cards on the table, these characters start laying out their motivations and worldviews very straightforwardly, and it always comes down to wanting to take care of each other. Jobin is a fool, nearly gets them all killed and dies a deflating, pathetic death, it is heartbreaking to watch him attack Norisuke and horrify his family, but before the madness sets in it's clear he cares for his son most of all, reassuring to him always, "Tsurugi, absolutely none of this is your fault." But this hurts Tsurugi's relationship w his grandpa and mother, who only treat the boy w gentleness. The way even Yasuho turns out to be connected to Holy Kira's kindness. Hato's tears for Damo. Holy's final act of love for Josuke. There was a point where the weight of all the sacrifice I remembered these characters making started really hittin me in the gut.

Rai's family line seems destined to fall to calamity, but his defiance to the very end is what gives Josuke Go Beyond. My dude looks the Final Destination grim reaper in the eyes, goes, "could you scooch just a bit" and blows it the gently caress up. KAPOW. Based. Tho he ultimately fails to save Holy, her fate is an open question(I can think of a few characters who could possibly show up later dohoho) and in his own bizarre way, two different bloodlines continue to live on thru him. He becomes his own self, and finds a place in the Higashikatas in a final set of pages that had me a lil misty. Kei Nijimura...shows up! Joshuu self-owns!

Norisuke and Kaato have opposite viewpoints on how to deal w the curse. The former wants to find another way from equivalent exchange but seems plagued w indecision, and would know nothing of Jobin's corruption wo Josuke's help. The latter has already made hard choices to protect one son and paid a heavy price for it, and she came back to reclaim lost years only to nearly lose everything. Norisuke is powerless by himself against the calamity, but his family are shown deeply in grief, and that grief and his recovery are lionized by the narrative as a sign of hope for the future of the Higashikatas.

It is Kaato who finds a way to game equivalent exchange to save Tsurugi and the rest of them, in the face of a heavy price; the prior flashback seems to imply she feels responsibility for her son's death.

I liked that the narrative had room for empathy for the both of them.

spoilering stuff cuz I figure Momomo is prolly very close or in the middle of where I was at

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 2, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The themes of family are the part that gets flubbed because the Higashikatas are largely an antagonistic force and Hato aside tend to make things worse for Josuke whenever possible. Norisuke was literally being tortured and his family threatened so it's hard to blame the guy there but that's just it, Josuke isn't "family".

They don't really put their trust in either Josuke or Yasuho at all either, Mitsuba trying to kill Yasuho harder and Joshuu's thimble-deep resolve are pretty self-explanatory and iirc none of them really knew or cared what Josuke was up to while things were going down. The contrast between Holy's selflessness and the Higashikatas' selfishness is an interesting one though, and notably it's Holy who Josuke actually considers family rather than the psychos he's living with.

And then the ending is like "wow now Josuke is accepted as one of the family" and like, why would he want that. This family has barely tolerated his existance and has actively tried to kill or brainwash him multiple times. Get the hell out of there, maybe send Hato and Norisuke a birthday card every year or something.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 3, 2023

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Yinlock posted:

The themes of family are the part that gets flubbed because the Higashikatas are largely an antagonistic force and Hato aside tend to make things worse for Josuke whenever possible. Norisuke was literally being tortured and his family threatened so it's hard to blame the guy there but that's just it, Josuke isn't "family".

Hmmm, you're definitely supposed to find them super sus at the beginning bc jjl is a mystery and araki's using the logic and structure of stand fights to forward the plot and color the narrative. Paranoia and suspicion laces jojolion. Morioh itself, stylish and beautifully drawn as it is, is a far more forbidding place than pt 4's incarnation, emphasizing Josuke is seeing these sights for the first time, and anyone could be an enemy.

But I mean, JoJo rules. Beat a stand down once even if it's just deep down, if you're being honest in your heart, and you're buds from then on, and around I am a Rock, the higashikata's start to chill out and the rock ppl enter focus, w suspicion from within the family narrowing to where the plot wants you to focus. Daiya and Hato are innocent and love Josuke. Joshuu gonna Joshuu. I was gonna say when talking about how the family's behavior and interactions inform JJL's themes, he can safely be left out by know what? Maybe it's actually brilliant that his constant flailing flip-flop between trying to save Yasuho, trying to assault her, protect her, ineffectual at all of it except getting himself owned, is a handy microcosm of the theme of fortune and misfortune endlessly circling around the family, summed up in one petty lil rear end in a top hat. And you know, it is Joshuu who moved that phone so Yasuho could escape.

Tsurugi is a whole weirdo mess for so long, just crazy suspicious, but as the target of the curse, he's a p big fulcrum on which the narrative turns, so it's hard to know what to make of him until the story makes its big moves.(Paper Moon Deception is one of the weaker "fights" in my book but I can't be mad at it, it just gets so looney toons) When Josuke resolves to move on Jobin and directly confronts Tsurugi on it, a character that had just tried to sell him out to survive, the kid, shakily, agrees to help, implying he's held suspicions of his own. This 11 year old is willing to kill to get himself and Yasuho out of danger. In that final chapter, it's Tsurugi who suggests Josuke pick Norisuke's cake, gives him a hug and everything. Norisuke's decision to adopt and trust an outsider wins out over the well of destructive selfishness that consumes Jobin, and his goodwill is reflected within the whole family in that moment.

Mitsuba is suddenly thrust in a very pressuring situation. She's maybe a chapter old in learning Jobin's involvement in everything, basically knows how Wonder of U works, has her bitch husband right in her ear and her son in the worst state of the curse yet right in the other room. Perhaps there are other family members capable of making the choice to save Yasuho in that moment, given all that(like Norisuke, who...does, and gets hosed up for it) but Mitsuba isn't. Besides just keeping the drama high, I think it's a sign of a strong, maybe even challenging narrative to explore the limits in one character's ability to sacrifice for an outsider vs another's, across a cast this large, and it doesn't poke holes in the story's themes to acknowledge that.

That chapter ends w Mitsuba realizing the scope and danger of the calamity attacking them and seems to regret that Yasuho is now in danger, tho it is by then too late for her to change anything.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 4, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
JJL rules and I hope Gappy and his family if freaks and weirdos is happy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

JJL rules and I hope Gappy and his family if freaks and weirdos is happy.

Even Joshu?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Then milargo man arc is legit some of the best jojo so yeah let him have his 9 movie theater seats

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Then milargo man arc is legit some of the best jojo so yeah let him have his 9 movie theater seats

Fair enough enjoy that 3D Johnny Depp Pirate Movie Joshuu

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really wish Jojolion had been largely about goofy Morioh adventures and puzzle fights like California King Bed, Shakedown Road, Beetle Tendency, Love Love Deluxe, and Milagro Man.

Of the "serious" fights I think only Vitamin C really landed and even then that was largely because of the flashback.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Josuke CQCing those twins was funny.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I just finished volume 25/27. I have many thoughts but I'll save most of them until I actually finish the part (tomorrow probably). Overall I enjoyed it well enough, though a lot of it was what I was expecting, both good and bad.

I will say that Tooru has gotta be the lamest final boss by a mile. The rock insect... thing is just. Man, this is like the least hype way to have a fight against your supposed big bad (who really was just Some Guy that decided to pop up). The way Josuke turned the tables on the typical confrontation by forcing Wonder of U to approach him was really cool, though. I've seen the take that Damo is where this part peaked and I really do feel that.

There's still two volumes left to change my mind though so I guess we'll see.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The second worst thing about Tooru is that he breaks the time related powers stand final boss thing.

:argh:

The worst is that he's like Joshu and a huge fuckin creep

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The premise is peak Thus Spoke Rohan, probably so peak that if Araki said lol I love it so much had to be in a main series you'd not even blink

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The second worst thing about Tooru is that he breaks the time related powers stand final boss thing.

:argh:

The worst is that he's like Joshu and a huge fuckin creep

I'm not as familiar with part 7 as I am the first 4 parts, please explain how Funny Valentine's power is also time related.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not as familiar with part 7 as I am the first 4 parts, please explain how Funny Valentine's power is also time related.

He yanks out Diego: The World Edition from another reality as a final gently caress you to Johnny

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

RareAcumen posted:

his stand lets him move through different timelines

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No Dignity posted:

He yanks out Diego: The World Edition from another reality as a final gently caress you to Johnny

zetamind2000 posted:

his stand lets him move through different timelines

Okay, so my problem is that I considered the wrong person the main antagonist of Part 7

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Diego isn't the main antagonist but he is the final boss

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I consider Diego more of a post game super boss equivalent than a final boss, really. The emotional climax of part 7 was the Valentine fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Valentine and Tooru are thematically linked in how their stands manipulate "calamity" to either avoid any bad fortune or ensure misfortunes to anyone chasing them. I doubt that it's a coincidence that part 9 is shaping up to be all about manipulating good fortune.

Parts 1-2: Monsters
Parts 3-6: Time
Parts 7-9: Fate/Fortune/Calamity

Watch part 9's big bad be Pocoloco, lol.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 5, 2023