Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Just don't look at this thread each week until you are caught up in the show if you want to not be spoiled imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Of course those who managed to score tickets to a theater screening tonight should keep their yaps shut until the episodes drop for the rest of us tomorrow night :sun:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

buffalo all day posted:

that look in lanfear’s eyes… 👀

It cracked me up when I saw it. You can tell exactly what she's thinking.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

RC Cola posted:

Just don't look at this thread each week until you are caught up in the show if you want to not be spoiled imo.

But I need constant takes on a show based on a book series that's been over for a decade [editor's note: the season covers a book written 20 years ago]

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Skyl3lazer posted:

But I need constant takes on a show based on a book series that's been over for a decade [editor's note: the season covers a book written 20 years ago]

30 years ago actually

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

William Bear posted:

It cracked me up when I saw it. You can tell exactly what she's thinking.

"I am going to obliterate this twink"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://twitter.com/Dark_1s_Taint/status/1696988343744254398

Holy poo poo if this is taint cleaning foreshadowing

Some early screening impressions

https://twitter.com/AESSEDAl/status/1696997875098517964

https://twitter.com/ItsMartinShore/status/1697006732730417509

https://twitter.com/Listenerbell_/status/1696981067406700632

https://twitter.com/philthecool/status/1697000639853736050

pik_d fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 30, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Looking forward to getting Separate Ways stuck in my head after the opening theme again

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Are there any advance reviews of the season?

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

There's a few spoiler-free reviews of the first three episodes on Youtube if you search for Wheel of Time Season 2.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Some reviews and quotes from them in this thread

https://twitter.com/rationalnerd/status/1697241491201302730?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

just what I was looking for, thanks!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Camille cohosts a podcast called the queers of time and it's pretty delightful, fyi

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

silvergoose posted:

Camille cohosts a podcast called the queers of time and it's pretty delightful, fyi

Seconding this, the four hosts are all quite fun to listen to in their own way.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Twitter threads don't exist for people who don't have Twitter accounts, so posts like this are kind of useless.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

Twitter threads don't exist for people who don't have Twitter accounts, so posts like this are kind of useless.

Oh that's a conscious choice? I had just been assuming more poo poo broke.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Arrath posted:

Oh that's a conscious choice? I had just been assuming more poo poo broke.

Nah, the genius behind Twitter decided to try and boost user signups by blocking *all* Tweets from non-users. This had the side effect of killing all ad revenue generated by the vast majority of people without a Twitter account, and the decision was walked back to “non-users only get to see one Tweet, but no replies”. I’ve still never seen an ad since the change was partially rolled back, so I dunno what X is doing to recoup the ad revenue they willingly gave up. I guess the financial masterminds determined that it saves more money to not show me X’s than it earns to show me ads mid-thread. :shrug:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
What worked for me was replacing "twitter.com" in the URL with "nitter.net"

There's Threadreaderapp too but that wouldn't show this one to me.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I have to assume that looking up an individual tweet by ID is a fairly cheap operation, but dynamically generating a thread at runtime requires a bunch of database queries and the brain genius in charge wants to save money.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He just wants to make people sign up.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Let's just all as a society agree to never embed tweets and always post screenshots instead. We can do it. We can make the world a better place. Don't link to Twitter.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Wrong thread sorry

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
:siren: They're up.

Starts with darkfriend social and Moiraine at Vandene/Verin and Adelias's house.

LFG!

Elyas looks like is taking Hurin's role

BigHead fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 1, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hell yeah here goes my night

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Nynaeve drinking the dirty water is a good summary of her as a person at this point in the series

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I must say I rather like how they've toned down on the formalities of honorifics and language of respect between the ranks in the Tower, like how an Accepted would always have to address an AS very formally or else get spanked and so on. I feel like that would have taken up a lot of screen time and felt really uncomfortable to watch. Much easier to handle the girls being familiar and snippy with their various tutors, even if it's less book-accurate. Good change imo

Oh and before he said "that may be the first time in my life someone has told me I should be quiet" I basically said the same thing to myself lmao

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

So who is the worst parent, who took their kid to the darkfriend social?

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 1, 2023

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Well, ep1 was very good.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Goofballs posted:

So who is the worst parent, who took their kid to the darkfriend social?

There was an unknown tinker at the book version, and that skirt looked like a tinker skirt.

Liandrin's actress is smashing episode 1 so far.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

New Mat is great

Elayne is super weird and I can't help but like her

I have no idea what they're up to with Moiraine and Lan

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
spoiling errything just in case and updating this post as I watch...

Pure Moods rear end music

Nyn drinking the dirt is true to character as gently caress and good

drat Elyas definitely has the "normal people dont want this guy around" vibe nailed

Wolf-Vision

parts of this still make me smile like an idiot "thing I know about on screen!!!"

"the wheel weaves as wheels wills" nailed the feel on that, tongue twister for a normal person but comes right out she has to say it so much

love her messy study. love "make it yourself... and have it wherever you want"

oh gently caress Moiraine that was raw as poo poo!!! hell yeah!!

what could do this to a fade...

loved min's "Mat-cute" even if it isn't going to be romantic

really thought she'd rattle off his titles at their parting in ep2

hell yeah we get to see Loial beast out. Looks properly large too

coming out of THAT reality splattered with blood, "I don't remember what I did" jesus. then refusing the ring made me go wha...so I wonder where that goes lmaoooo

uno...ROUGH

does..mat go to save nyn somehow? i wish it were so

Brolander fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 1, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Data Graham posted:

New Mat is great

Elayne is super weird and I can't help but like her

I have no idea what they're up to with Moiraine and Lan

Elayne knocked the "I'm the daughter-heir of Andor" out of the park.

I'm curious where some of the changes are going, but so much of the show has been amazing that I'm fully willing to see where Rafe takes things, mostly the fact that Perrin met Ishy and Min is leading Mat out of the city on Liandrin's behalf

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

2/3rds through the first episode and maybe I'm just a little drunk and happy to have the show back but I feel like everything is fitting together better? No specifics really, just vibes. The first season always felt a little (or very) rushed, clearly abridging a lot of material to hit plot beats. Everything feels like it has more of a chance to breathe. Maybe it's just because we're really off of the rails of the book at this point so I'm able to just relax and enjoy this variation of the story for what it is.

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 1, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Oh, but killing Uno hosed me up. I loved him in the books and I already loved the show version and he's just gone??

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Spoilers are for people watching tomorrow, dont hover this or other posts. Its so much more fun to be what the gently caress looks like asmodean is out after episode 2. Logain is our now tutor character. Rand having a relationship with Lanfear is interesting. Not sure about perrin and friends getting captired by the seanchen works this early. They come in really late in the book. My concern is more what do they have to do for the next 6 houts also phone posting, apologies for seeming illterate

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Watched all 3 episodes, loving love it. Here be spoilers.

At least Uno went out loving metal and the way he would. And yea, I would have prefered he not die cause I liked that character, but it also serves to really drive home that "Just because this person lives up to the last battle in the books does not mean they're safe" thing.

I like how they've managed to roll in the Cairhinian stuff into Rand's "solo" adventure. He even is leaving after burning down foregate.

Also having the man who knows he's going to go insane work at a sanitorium, *and* be good at it, is a very nice touch.

The accepted test was good, especially nyneave telling them to gently caress off. We get her real reaction, but it also was just part of the test. And the fact that they offed Uno earlier and then were like "Nope, Nyneave is fuckin dead" managed to make me question weather or not they'd actually kill her.

This also ties into Liandrin, since I STILL don't know if show version is a darkfriend or not.

Elayne is great. She's awkward, but a lot more experienced in some things. She knows what's up, she's just bad at talking to normal people about it.

I'm sure there's more, but this is a lot of spoilers.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

CainsDescendant posted:

2/3rds through the first episode and maybe I'm just a little drunk and happy to have the show back but I feel like everything is fitting together better? No specifics really, just vibes. The first season always felt a little (or very) rushed, clearly abridging a lot of material to hit plot beats. Everything feels like it has more of a chance to breathe. Maybe it's just because we're really off of the rails of the book at this point so I'm able to just relax and enjoy this variation of the story for what it is.

yup first ep was lots of fun imo

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
First three episodes were good, that has me pretty jazzed about the rest of the season. The Seanchan stuff felt the least connected/most rushed but that could still change as the season goes on. Especially once Egwene is made prisoner.

Episode three was the best of the bunch imo, even if it was pretty obvious that Nynaeve was still in her test when she first came out. I'm not sure which hits harder, the third test in the books where she has to leave happy/peaceful/loving Lan and her family or the show's version where everybody she loves except her daughter dies before her eyes...and then her daughter just vanishes. The actress who pays Nynaeve is so, so good in the role.

Drinking the gross water was so loving on brand in the first episode.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I'm not sure which hits harder, the third test in the books where she has to leave happy/peaceful/loving Lan and her family or the show's version where everybody she loves except her daughter dies before her eyes...and then her daughter just vanishes.

For me, the book version is better. The way the show did it, all 3 tests are a bit too similar. The 3rd test being so different is a big part of what makes that part of the books so good. The fakeout with her leaving and meeting Lan on the road was awesome, I just wish the scene later was closer to the book. Her having to willingly give up her happily ever after hits a lot harder than leaving a reality where almost everyone she loved just died, after two previous tests where she left while people she loved were dying. Obviously she'd leave, that reality sucks, and she has just done pretty much the same thing twice already.

Other than that, seems really good so far, but I am a bit worried about where things are going. Hopefully this is a case of changing some stuff around to get the characters to the important moments from the book more quickly, rather than what season 1 did which seemed more like changing stuff around to get to their own fan fiction more quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I thought ep 1 kinda sucked and showed a lot of the issues that the first season had, especially since they were trying to clean up a lot of the late plotlines that were hosed by covid/casting. Scenes were too fast, nothing had time to land or settle. I was not really a fan of S01 and never re-watched it, despite WoT being my favourite IP of all time.

Ep 2 and 3 are leagues better, and better than anything in the first season imo. The further this telling gets from rote book plot (and "who is the dragon" poo poo) the better, apparently, so the adjusted characters can have their own storylines instead of cramming awkwardly back into threads they no longer quite fit. It's promising that they're showing they can still hit some of the big beats, and the latter eps included some good subtle nods to either skipped/adjusted storylines or exposition that isn't as easily included in a tv show.

Nynaeve killin it, Liandrin killing it, Matt is much better when he's not just a moody teen on the couch.

I still think the damane soother look is the dumbest thing ever put in a TV show, and half the scenes are very obviously in a CGI soundstage (and Tar Valon's walls look like they are sponsored by Dwarven Forge). Could also use less batman voice.

But overall I'm far more excited about this season than I was after the first three eps of the first.

Verin is good but not nearly as good as book-Verin, and also where the hell are they going with that whole plot now that Vandene and Jaime have been replaced by a Black sister.