Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zoro trying to sit down with his swords is a Very Precious Moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Bisse posted:

top 5 moment of the show for me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/blockwonkel/status/1697602531956838521?t=EbZb4UbmzMsWs7HT446Ptw&s=19

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Through episode 7 now, they absolutely nailed the ".....help me...." moment and the aftermath, goddamn.

If this does get renewed (and God I hope it does) it's going to be an interminably long wait for the second season.

God the thumbs up gets me every time :lol:

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
A minor thing about the live action I really enjoyed is when Luffy eats the gum-gum fruit in the flashback. In the manga I remember him just eating it because he’s a moron kid with an endless appetite, but in this it almost calls to him from inside the box. Really nice little detail tying into how some zoan fruits “choose” their users. Assuming the LA ever gets more seasons I can absolutely see a flashback to young Luffy eating the fruit while we hear the gorosei dropping this piece of information.

Overall I am loving it and most surprising to me, so is my partner. She has been utterly uninterested in One Piece before now but since we watched the first two episodes last night she’s been hammering me with questions about the one piece world. It’s tough to explain things to her without accidentally spoilering future events, but I’m giving it my best!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love the live action Garp not being able to help laughing his rear end off even when furious about Luffy escaping/pulling some bullshit - on some level he respects the little poo poo :allears:. Also the scene (live action only, no manga/anime equivalent I can recall) in episode 7 of Garp and Zeff sitting down for a meal and discussing the next generation was a great addition.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Len posted:

Ed was in like a minute of the show and was every bit as irritating as they were in the anime though

There's test footage of Ed online which, at least in my opinion, looks about a thousand percent better than what was used in the show. Just not wearing the goggles so you can see the actor's eyes does a lot to make the character less off-putting.

I feel really bad for that young actor.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

GonSmithe posted:

Did I miss it (I'm on episode 4) or do they never actually say Helmeppo's name in the live action? I've only heard them refer to him as "my son" and "his son," etc.

Update: Koby says it in this episode

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's pretty funny how obvious the important characters are sometimes. The young zorro scenes featuring green hair zorro, blue hair kuina, and then maybe 20 normal looking kids that do nothing were especially obvious lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nihilarian posted:

It's pretty funny how obvious the important characters are sometimes. The young zorro scenes featuring green hair zorro, blue hair kuina, and then maybe 20 normal looking kids that do nothing were especially obvious lol

This is also true to its anime roots.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Finished episode 4 last night. This is so fun!

I really want to rewatch it with the Japanese dub.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finished the season, there were some changes I didn't entirely like but overall the whole thing was just a joy to watch and I'm still kind of shocked and thrilled that somehow the One Piece live adaptation turned out to be really loving good.

One Piece... is good!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Garp.

That is all.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bisse posted:

Was gonna call that out as a legitimately funny moment.

Just finished, gonna rewatch a couple of times. God drat they nailed it. I want more, and am actively excited for how they would adapt Thriller Bark, Marineford, etc. Streaming has become so segmented that I wish this had come out five years ago when Netflix was 'the' service. Hope it's enough of a hit to warrant contiuation.

Stray thoughts

Boy the source material is good, ain't it? At it's heart, this only worked because Oda is brilliant at writing succinct but powerful set pieces. Was thinking while watching the Zeff/Sanji flashback how good - and importantly [i[tight[/i] - that story is.

Really happy Luffy v Garp and Zoro v Mihawk were such lopsided fights. Neither Strawhat made a dent, and both Garp and Mihawk were barely trying which nicely sets the bar for what's to come.

Everyone was cast perfectly. Luffy's actor is gonna get lauded for his acting in particular, but god drat if Garp wasn't another huge highlight. The guy's huffing laughter were spot on, and he's just got a twinkle in his eye that's perfect. Just an exciting presence that makes the new scenes a delight.

Which speaking of, it also helps *greatly* that Oda's always had great head canon for what everyone in the world is doing at any one time. The showrunners didn't have to invent a scene where Mihawk visits Shanks, that was already there.

What a triumph.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 1, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man the benefit of knowing where the story goes (well, is going) really shines through for stuff like Koby's development and his relationship with Garp, as well as showcasing how Helmeppo can go from his first appearance to an actual genuine friend and supporter of Koby who has by now far surpassed his father's outsized shadow.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I forgot to share this! Spotted a One Piece fan in the wild a few days ago:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Weird coincidence, I saw that same car only a few minutes after you!

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I wasn't sold on Garp being so stoic at first but it ended up making it all the better when he finally cracked after Luffy bounced the cannonball back.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

set fail for ads piece

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Inaki is great, I was worried Luffy wasn't going to be enough of a dumbass until he tried to listen to the safe being cracked through Nami’s ear then I was sold.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Inaki is great, I was worried Luffy wasn't going to be enough of a dumbass until he tried to listen to the safe being cracked through Nami’s ear then I was sold.

I loved this bit so much. Genuinely a bit of legit One Piece humour that is unique to the Live Action.

https://twitter.com/cookingbatter/status/1697336458812522754?s=08

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Garp works so well here that it makes me wonder if Oda thinks he should've had him around from the start.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How much direct involvement did Oda have with this series out of curiosity? While not perfect it still seems like a major step above a lot of live action Netflix anime/manga adaptions

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Larryb posted:

How much direct involvement did Oda have with this series out of curiosity? While not perfect it still seems like a major step above a lot of live action Netflix anime/manga adaptions

From what has been said, he approved(?) or had to approve of every change they made to the story.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Garp works so well here that it makes me wonder if Oda thinks he should've had him around from the start.
Getting to see more of Garp and Coby's bonding and training makes the recent chapters with them all the sweeter. Feel like we got a ton of bonus little cover stories with this show.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

From what has been said, he approved(?) or had to approve of every change they made to the story.
I'm curious if any ideas he saw during the LA fed back into the manga at all (eg Buggy getting smacked around by other villains, a stretch of chapters not with the Straw Hats, Bogard appearing for the first time in 17 years)

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm curious if any ideas he saw during the LA fed back into the manga at all (eg Buggy getting smacked around by other villains, a stretch of chapters not with the Straw Hats, Bogard appearing for the first time in 17 years)
I was thinking this and sorta the reverse too - was the script at all influenced by knowing where the manga was going soon? Garp seems to have more nuance to his character in this and is kinda grappling with what he wrought on the world by capturing Roger and giving him a chance to start the Great Pirate Era. I wonder if that’s something the manga will get into in the next year or two once we get more about Aokiji, Coby and God Valley moments with Garp.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thoughts on One Piece live action: Haven't finished fully but I'm on episode 6, and the worst thing about the show is that the direction and cinematography is pretty ugly. It really doesn't help how the whole thing feels like a fan film to me.

I think Mihawk sums it up for me where instead of translating the character to live action that looks good and feels natural he instead looks like a really good cosplayer all the way down to the colored contact lenses. Writing wise it feels a bit Whedony but nothing overboard. It's probably about as much as you could hope for from a live action adaptation of One Piece which probably speaks to why it wasn't a very good idea in the first place. I'm still interested in seeing how it plays out if it's struggling with the least over the top part of One Piece.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The whole "actors look like they're cosplaying as the character rather than looking like the character" thing happens in a lot of anime adaptations and I can only guess it's really hard to find the right balance between "looks like the show" and "looks like something a human being would actually wear"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked Mihawk personally. It is a ludicrous outfit but the idea that the World's Strongest Swordsman is just an anime sword god (while most other characters are engaged in more grounded Hollywood-style fighting) makes sense to me. Also the delivery on his lines is very fun.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 1, 2023

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I would be very disappointed if they got rid of Mihawk being a French Dracula.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/DEMONDICEKaren/status/1696888258150510842?s=20

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

my god....

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

...I'm open to it.

Will say tho that it's kind of incredible that the show has no stunt casting. Most of the younger cast have only been in a couple movies before, and the older seem generally like tv secondary-cast regulars.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've recognized a whopping two actors in the entire production so far (Gold Roger and Buggy, not counting Ian McShane as the narrator)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Roth posted:

I think Mihawk sums it up for me where instead of translating the character to live action that looks good and feels natural he instead looks like a really good cosplayer all the way down to the colored contact lenses. Writing wise it feels a bit Whedony but nothing overboard. It's probably about as much as you could hope for from a live action adaptation of One Piece which probably speaks to why it wasn't a very good idea in the first place. I'm still interested in seeing how it plays out if it's struggling with the least over the top part of One Piece.
Luffy in the iconic red vest is a cosplayer. Luffy in a hawaian shirt is Luffy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

PLEASE

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I dunno if I'm maybe overstating the importance of a small moment, both in the live action and the manga, but I feel like the show including the part where Mihawk just casually cuts a ship in half is really kind of foundational set up for where the story is going. It hints at just how big the world is and really sells what the crew are getting themselves in for.

I think it's to the people behind the show's credit (and maybe Oda's involvement) that it keeps a lot of these little things that would be so easy to casually discard in a more by the numbers adaptation.

Maybe I'm letting my overall positive outlook on the show colour my view and. Perhaps if I attached a similar level of importance to Mihawk's line about not owning any smaller blades I'd be furious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

For a character's first appearence they want it to be as close as possible to the original, so they make costumes based on the original and it usually looks wonky. But as they continue to exist in the world they no longer need the 100% accurate look, they just need the accessories and a general outline of what the character would wear. So Luffy's hawaian shirt is red because he usually wears red, but it looks more like a real garment because it probably is?

It results in a weird dichotomy where the main actors feel more real while the one-off characters feel like cosplayers. I hope the showrunners get more comfortable with this if the series continues.

Really liking Coby and Helmeppo, by the way