Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Loved it. Definitely feels more like the books this season. Maybe because there's just some "hanging out" and dialogue rather than action and drama all the time.

World feels much bigger. Tower feels bigger. Cairhien feels big. I like the two sections, the poors and the rich folks :laugh:

The non-book stuff is actually interesting and I wanna see more. I don't like the seanchan they feel like a cartoon. They should've reined in that costume designer the poo poo is too garish and gaudy.

8/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

CainFortea posted:

Watched all 3 episodes, loving love it. Here be spoilers.

[Liandrin snip]

This also ties into Liandrin, since I STILL don't know if show version is a darkfriend or not.

Liandrin lies to Mat when she reads the letter.

It'll be fun seeing when the TV thread picks up on it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yuuuuup. Also lolled at Verin mentioning loopholes in oaths :grin:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gonna rewatch today and check out the x-ray poo poo. Apparently the DF social takes place in TAR.

I like that Rand is going nuts already, the "kill them all" whispers are well done, that could've been cringy but it's not. Taim mention gives me a boner. :dong:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Donnerberg posted:

My non-book-reading wife picked up on that, as well as the fact that Liandrin made a weapon with the One Power and threatened Nynaeve with it.

Also, was the little girl from the darkfriend social in episode 1 the same as the girl who escaped when Fain attacked the Tinkers? I can’t go back and check right now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also enjoying how Egwene continues to fume whenever anyone comments that Nynaeve is a billion times more powerful than she is, right in front of her :lmao:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Looking forward to seeing how they write around the fact Min has way more chemistry with Mat than she did with Rand.

In general I really enjoyed it. Everyone is nailing their characters so it's cool seeing them twisted into combinations that never really came together in the books. The only thing I really take issue with is Ingtar being less of a focus because his sacrifice is one of my favourite scenes in the whole series. Oh and Masema being a cool sexy badass because come on eww, that's Masema

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i thought the couple scenes with perrin -- giving the darkfriend a proper burial, asking perrin to think about why people would be willing to do this even if you don't like the answer -- were pretty effective at laying the groundwork for Ingtar's later Whole Deal

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Rarity posted:

Oh and Masema being a cool sexy badass because come on eww, that's Masema

on the other hand, the guy who plays Masema was Sihtric in the last kingdom TV show! you love to see it!!!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nion posted:

For me, the book version is better. The way the show did it, all 3 tests are a bit too similar. The 3rd test being so different is a big part of what makes that part of the books so good. The fakeout with her leaving and meeting Lan on the road was awesome, I just wish the scene later was closer to the book. Her having to willingly give up her happily ever after hits a lot harder than leaving a reality where almost everyone she loved just died, after two previous tests where she left while people she loved were dying. Obviously she'd leave, that reality sucks, and she has just done pretty much the same thing twice already.

Not everyone she loved had died. Her child was alive, and asking for her. That was what made it a lot harder. She lost everyone ELSE, and she only had that one person left.

Donnerberg posted:

Nu uh. "A dozen letters and not a single mention of mat caulthon"

If all the letters just say "mat" then she didn't lie

Grundulum posted:

My non-book-reading wife picked up on that, as well as the fact that Liandrin made a weapon with the One Power and threatened Nynaeve with it.

Also nope. The oaths are to not make a weapon for a man to kill another man, and never to use the One Power as a weapon except against Darkfriends or Shadowspawn, or in the last extreme defense of her life, the life of her Warder, or another Aes Sedai.

She didn't actually use the air sword as a weapon. And she is not a man. Still following the oaths. Hell her whole bit is lifted almost directly from a lesson Suian teaches in the books

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 1, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I appreciated the amount of foreshadowing going on for character beats that come in much later in the series. Elayne's intro was perfect, and her comment about tinkering with things being a hobby since she can't really have a normal young person's life leads quite nicely to her re-discovering ter'angreal creation. Also the aforementioned chat with Verin about oaths, heh.

CainFortea posted:

She didn't actually use the air sword as a weapon. And she is not a man. Still following the oaths. Hell her whole bit is lifted almost directly from a lesson Suian teaches in the books

Yeah, that was beat for beat Siuan's scene with teach Nynaeve on the way to the tower from Fal Dara. Really impressed with how they've been playing Liandrin!

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 1, 2023

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
They gave the Seanchan slaver culture American accents. Both a valid interpretation of the book, and sure to piss some terrible people off!

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Donnerberg posted:

Did she really lie tho? She read the censored letter, and then speculated on how the letters as she read them affected him..."Now that must be painful -- A dozen letters now and not a single mention of Mat Cauthon..." Sure she was being dishonest, but an outright lie? It's very arguable and exactly the sort of truth-bending they routinely got up to in the books.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
It's different from the books. And the characters sometimes act differently, but that feels like a logical extrapolation of the characters being older and in different situations than the books. I really enjoyed it.

I love Selene's characterization so far. She was in such a good mood hanging out with the rich people and wearing her fancy white dress, outright telling Rand she thinks of another man when she's with him, telling him to leave the jacket on in bed. It's a very different relationship than in the books, but it feels true to where the characters are at that point, and I can't wait to see where it goes. Her and Ishamael are my favorite characters, and the show has made them fun to watch.

Tentative 8/10 if the season can keep this quality up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Selene feels right too, in the sense where it's like okay this mysterious beautiful woman is paying you way too much attention, but also Rand is being played by a literal model and she's an innkeeper, it's a lot more plausible that she could be a normal person with a lot of baggage than the book scenario.

also she's pretty relatable -- i bet hanging out hooking up with rand here is a whole lot better than being trapped for millennia and it's understandable why she might see this as a pretty nice diversion from that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

buffalo all day posted:

on the other hand, the guy who plays Masema was Sihtric in the last kingdom TV show! you love to see it!!!

Aaa holy poo poo! :whatup:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If they really want to troll book readers they should make Selene just an innkeeper and Lanfear is someone else entirely

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

St0rmD posted:

Did she really lie tho? She read the censored letter, and then speculated on how the letters as she read them affected him..."Now that must be painful -- A dozen letters now and not a single mention of Mat Cauthon..." Sure she was being dishonest, but an outright lie? It's very arguable and exactly the sort of truth-bending they routinely got up to in the books.

Yeah, that would work. If so, they really leaned into the fake-out. They've called a lot of attention to the rule in the new episodes. Even Liandrin cites it.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Rarity posted:

If they really want to troll book readers they should make Selene just an innkeeper and Lanfear is someone else entirely

This is my tinfoil hat theory right now (and I love that I'm able to have theories about WoT again). I kept thinking Selene seemed kinda chill outside of the dream encounter. And they've already had a moment in the show that was a brief fakeout for book people (I can't be the only dummy who thought oh my god what are they doing with Nynaeve for a few seconds right? right???).

Overall I really enjoyed it. The new actors are all awesome. I already kinda love the wondergirls more than I ever did in the books??? My only gripes thus far are I'm not entirely on board with the Moiraine and Lan dynamic, and Rand had one scene where I really couldn't tell what expression the actor was trying to go for. But outside of that I really enjoyed the Rand stuff, and I was also up late and high so who can say.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've still only seen the first two, but the big thing that's striking me about this season (which is largely an effect of the S1/Covid/Mat/puzzlebox shenanigans) is that the element of the Three Boys is almost entirely missing. Within the context of S2 so far there's like no indication that Rand/Mat Perrin are supposed to be any kind of narrative "unit", since their roles have been so profoundly reshuffled.

Glad to see Mat and Min and Liandrin are being forcibly connected, and Perrin/Loial are getting the whole of the Hunt narrative + all the Shienarans, because otherwise their three storylines would be occurring completely in a vacuum from one another.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The one advantage of Mat's disappearance at the end of S1 is the Perrin/Fain stuff is going to neatly tie into Fain setting the Whitecloaks on the Two Rivers

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

We all agree Logain is awesome, right?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm guessing the deal with Mat and Min are that Liandrin is sending them to Falme, so Liandrin has aa carrot to hang in front of Egwene and Nynaeve (and Elayne when she daughter-heir's her way into the mess).

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Rarity posted:

or/and once Lanfear is free she kills her and assumes her appearance

couldn't stay up late enough to finish last night, just finished ep3 and I am s-s-stoked for more.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Brolander posted:

or/and once Lanfear is free she kills her and assumes her appearance

I thought they might do that, until I saw episode 3. Big Lanfear Energy.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Well episode 4 is called: Daughter of the Night so maybe that will clarify things. Whatever they do with it I’m all the way onboard with Natasha O’Keeffe. Will be an amazing heel turn.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
This is much, much better.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hexel posted:

Well episode 4 is called: Daughter of the Night so maybe that will clarify things. Whatever they do with it I’m all the way onboard with Natasha O’Keeffe. Will be an amazing heel turn.

I mean, once you see this scene in Episode 3 I think that answers any and all questions about "Who is this Selene person?"

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

CainFortea posted:

I mean, once you see this scene in Episode 3 I think that answers any and all questions about "Who is this Selene person?"

Yeah, her holding him to the door by the throat and telling him to never leave her again (or whatever exactly it was) sure confirmed to me who she really is.

I’m wondering if the twist is going to be that we see her getting released next episode, but that happened awhile ago. I’m assuming the note Moiraine got that freaked her out so much was regarding Lanfear being released and her seal being broken

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

CainFortea posted:

One of my favorite acting moments so far (along with everything from Nyneave).

:argh: "HOW DARE YOU WALK OUT ON ME! WE WERE GOING TO WATCH FIREWORKS TOGETHER. MAYBE EAT HORS D'OEUVRES BENEATH THE STARS! IT WOULD HAVE BEEN REALLY ROMANTIC!"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I’m assuming the note Moiraine got that freaked her out so much was regarding Lanfear being released and her seal being broken

I think the implication was that it was the Blood Calls Blood prophecy, so yeah

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I want to say I really like the new Mat. He has a twinkle in his eye and a real air of mischief. Excellent casting

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Loved the episodes, but Uno being killed made me angry on a visceral level. What the gently caress?

New Mat is great and has intense chemistry with Min.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Devorum posted:

Loved the episodes, but Uno being killed made me angry on a visceral level. What the gently caress?

New Mat is great and has intense chemistry with Min.

Setting up Uno coming back as a hero of the horn

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I want to say I really like the new Mat. He has a twinkle in his eye and a real air of mischief. Excellent casting

When he was miming along with the sounds of the door being locked behind him I was like "oh hell yeah, there's Mat :dance:"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That was exactly what sold me on him

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

CainFortea posted:

Setting up Uno coming back as a hero of the horn

That I could live with, but I let out a loud "MOTHERFUCKER" when it happened.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Only at the end of episode 2 but it feels like they will change it so that Perrin is the one with Ingtar when he dies and he's gonna take his axe, because where the gently caress is Perrin's axe??

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm a little iffy on the flies/dinnertable scene. It's iconic and obviously they wanted to make sure to make it a centerpiece of that episode, but I feel like the execution ended up being a little generic. Like oh so he saw what went on here in a ghostly vision, like at the scene of the massacre earlier? And just like Min saw around Mat I guess? Are those the same kind of thing? Okay

In the book that scene is so weird and singular it feels like it deserved a bit more imaginative treatment than it got. it's hardly even memorable as more than just "one more thing that happened"

(for that matter Min's viewings being literal preview footage instead of little floating icons and symbols that you have to decode later I guess works better for video, but I'm not convinced)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The big distinction is that Perrin's visions are of the past while Min's are in the future, but it does make sense that they'd reflect each other, especially in a visual medium. I'm also convinced this is the shows way of combining the Wolfbrother stuff with sniffer stuff. There's no real need for both things when you can't have 2,800 named characters.