Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I can’t speak for why he’s not using it but as someone who had to install a whole lot of it I can confirm that rockwool is also terrible to be around re itching and discomfort.

not in my experience. it is probably only 1/4 (in my opinion) as itchy as fiberglass. and when you are doing an entire house, that is a huge difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I thought the reason people used itchy insulation is so rats / birds / mice don't steal it?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I thought the reason people used itchy insulation is so rats / birds / mice don't steal it?

Doubt it - rodents will gnaw through steel wool given time

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

pseudorandom name posted:

The angle iron supporting the brick above the empty hole is resting on that half brick and that half of the full brick.

He could probably do a fake lintel. Just use 1x6s on the front and back. They can either just stick out a little or he could cut like 1" of brick out so that they're recessed and sit flush

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

Doubt it - rodents will gnaw through steel wool given time

They'll gnaw through steel wire given time. I think the idea is about it being uncomfortable to nest in.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

goatface posted:

I think the idea is about it being uncomfortable to nest in.

Good luck with that.

quote:

Nests recovered from trees in Rotterdam in the Netherlands and Antwerp in Belgium were found to be constructed almost entirely from strips of long metal spikes that are often attached to buildings to deter birds from setting up home on the structures.

The discovery prompted researchers at the Natural History Museum in Rotterdam and the Naturalis Biodiversity Center in Leiden to scour the internet for further examples, leading to the identification of another anti-bird spike nest in Glasgow.

quote:

About 25 years ago, Moeliker collected a pigeon’s nest from an oil refinery in Rotterdam harbour, a place he described as having “nothing green, only industry, concrete and bad air”.

The nest was made not from twigs but chicken wire. As an example of birds’ ability to adapt to the urban environment, he considered it the ultimate. “It turns out that it wasn’t,” he said, in view of the latest crow and magpie nests.

quote:

It is not the first time birds have been found to incorporate urban materials into their nests. In 1933, a South African museum reported a crow’s nest fashioned from hard-drawn copper, galvanised iron and barbed wire. Nails, screws and even drug users’ syringes have all found their way into birds’ nests.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I ain't saying it's a good theory, but I think it's more about that than them getting through it.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

SpeedFreek posted:

This whole thread has been one extreme to the other, pilings driven halfway to the earth's core and walls made out of puffed rice.

Thanks for all the laughs, really looking forward to seeing it all come together.

The UK has been building walls out of cement puffed rice for years, it's been going well, google RAAC school collapse.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Some Guy From NY posted:

not in my experience. it is probably only 1/4 (in my opinion) as itchy as fiberglass. and when you are doing an entire house, that is a huge difference.

I was more coming at it from the perspective that rockwool is also unpleasant but I wasn’t aware fibreglass was that much worse.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

The angle iron supporting the brick above the empty hole is resting on that half brick and that half of the full brick.

yeah the idea is that the angle iron would instead be supported by the entire lintel, and in fact with a lintel the iron is superfluous. Assuming a real vs. cosmetic or faked up lintel. But probably I'd just do the wood as a facade and leave the bricks as they are at this point to avoid trying to neatly cut in-place bricks.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Oh and Wickes have cancelled the floor board order again. They thought it was the same order as yesterday that they (also wrongly) cancelled so didn't put it on the lorry. FFS

lmao

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean the blockwork is completely standard in European construction, 99 has just chosen to hyperfixate on it (understandable since they seem like pretty poo poo blocks in a few different ways even though they do the job just fine).

I think it's fair to fixate on the blocks. I had to remove a breeze block wall from my shed and it took a big disc cutter and sledgehammer to get the job done. In 99's place i'd just wipe the wall away with some kitchen roll.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Wickes: Chapter 3 - Order Odium

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Stop whining about your blocks. This is what they look liked when they're proper hosed:

https://twitter.com/ProfPaulDunlop/status/1686869987183501312

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Gasmask posted:

Stop whining about your blocks. This is what they look liked when they're proper hosed:

Ashes to ashes
Dust to dust

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gasmask posted:

I foresee a new IRA weapon in that region: the Wall-Piercing Scone

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I've seen bread tougher than those bricks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

In Vancouver you tear down your place to do a joint land sale to a developer way before 17 years is up. They got good use out of it!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CancerCakes posted:

The UK has been building walls out of cement puffed rice for years, it's been going well, google RAAC school collapse.

I was just reading about that on the Guardian. Sounds pretty completely hosed.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/sep/01/how-long-has-raac-in-schools-been-a-concern-and-what-happens-now

Wait the service life is 30 years? Is that true of the house of L? I was starting to buy into the "silly Americans building their houses out of sticks" thing too

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Epitope posted:

Wait the service life is 30 years? Is that true of the house of L? I was starting to buy into the "silly Americans building their houses out of sticks" thing too

No. I.. er don't think so at least.

The manufacturer says in their bumf:

hansen posted:

Durability

Thermalite blocks are an extremely durable
building material which will exceed the
assumed 60 year life expectancy of a building.
They also ensure resistance to weathering,
abrasion and impact damage, mould/rot,
sunlight and water damage.

I think the problem with the raac stuff is not so much the block but the reinforced steel laid in it, which the aerated concrete fails to protect from moisture properly so it rusts, degrades and suddenly collapses.

But the reporting is pretty crap so who knows. Maybe they just need to live a little, schools and hospitals may not even fall down, let's just see what happens.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's different stuff.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

assumed 60 year life expectancy of a building? what in the world?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah that is a bit... Unambitious

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's fine guys, it's just the foundations that are made of aerated concrete.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

If things were built to last forever the building industry might not meet their required economic growth, and property is the only thing supporting the economy.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I guess the build was only supposed to last 6 months and it's been at least 6 times that. So by the same logic the building itself should do the same and last at least 360 years.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I mean, the good news is that when/if the walls spontaneously becomes fine dust 60 years from now, the foundation is built to outlast Ozymandias so you can just build a new structure right on top of it, bam, good to go.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Shoulda just made the whole place out of pilings.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I am pretty sure the network cables can become structural once the concrete fails.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

from the inside the blocks/concrete is fine as its airtight, so in 5 years 99 will be updating us on the glass bubble being installed around the L house

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, not very bold are they.

Even in young north american cities piles of houses are older than 60 years and they are not anywhere near end of life.
This is what happens when you don't have old growth forests to build houses out of and decide to make blocks out of air.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Believe it or not there are also houses in the UK that are more than 60 years old.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Not for long

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fidelitious posted:

Even in young north american cities piles of houses are older than 60 years and they are not anywhere near end of life.
This is what happens when you don't have old growth forests to build houses out of and decide to make blocks out of air.
Survivorship bias. A whole bunches of houses from the previous century got torn down and rebuilt, and some of them might well have fallen down otherwise.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Even with the best intentions and materials brick will blow and mortar will soften over a hundred years. Is that a “house stays up” service life or a “materials will stand up to remodelling” service life?

Those specific fallen over buildings notwithstanding (lol).

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Einstürzende NotJustANumbauten

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

Even with the best intentions and materials brick will blow and mortar will soften over a hundred years. Is that a “house stays up” service life or a “materials will stand up to remodelling” service life?

Those specific fallen over buildings notwithstanding (lol).

in that respect we should have just stayed with thatch since that gives you an opportunity to fix up everything every 20 years or so

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

Einstürzende NotJustANumbauten

oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Honestly you can build houses out of any old poo poo and they should still last more than 60 years.

My parents' old place was an old chapel that was (badly) converted into a scout hut for some amount of time and then (badly) converted into a house after that. Proper poo poo construction, single skin brick... built in 1905 and still standing - though it was subsiding and so needed the foundations underpinning. I think whoever bought it is likely gonna knock it down and start from scratch which is probably the sensible option.