Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

FPyat posted:

Nothing he's written after 2010 has attracted me enough for me to buy it, but his 90s work solidly make him a legend.

That's an interesting cutoff date. I'd hard-recommend all of Orthogonal (Clockwork Rocket, etc), The Book of All Skies, and Perihelion Summer, all from after that date. But you do you. Zendegi's right on the line and that's one of the only books I own that makes me so sad I can't reread it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
I finished Max Gladstone's Empress of Forever. I never read The Craft Sequence, but I did enjoy This Is How You Lose The Time War. It's a pretty good space opera, emphasis operatic epic than hard sci-fi. I feel kind of silly because as soon as I finished the book and read the acknowledgements, I realised that I did not pick up any of the homages to Journey to the West that were so obvious in retrospect.

There's also a Seth Dickinson quote/review in the book, "A gloriously maximal space opera in the tradition of Banks and Rajaniemi - the diamond-bright adventure of five unlikely companions across a trans-human galaxy", if that sells the book any more.

In 2023 (cf. 2019), the set up of the story where a tech billionaire travels to a different dimension and learns that friendship is better than being a dipshit tech billionaire rear end in a top hat might be a bit eye-roll, but once you get past that, it's a solid read.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Now that's pure fantasy

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Well it helps that MAJOR SPOILER she learns to be good because the other version of her is such a dick

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Trip report: I didn't really have expectations of what this would be like going in, but if I did it absolutely would have been nothing like them. Really good book, set at a magical school but it's not a "magical school book". Big fan.

Ccs posted:

That reminds me there's a sequel to Vita Nosta. Reviews seemed divisive though so I haven't picked it up yet.

For the Vita Nostra fans, The Night-Bird's Feather is described by the author as something like Vita Nostra plus Spirited Away. I haven't read VN yet - soon! - so I can't say if the description is accurate, but I'd say it's a place to start if you're looking for more in that vein.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Deep Navigation by Alistair Reynolds - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XT0V0DY/

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Rosewater book 2 was great. Femi is my favorite character to hate. What a loving monster.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I posted this over in YOSPOS but I really feel 36 Streets deserves more eyes on it

Halfway through this and it owns, great protagonist and setting, good prose; sweaty, sticky noir. It's 2 bucks on kindle.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

tokenbrownguy posted:

Rosewater book 2 was great. Femi is my favorite character to hate. What a loving monster.

yessss :allears:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

buffalo all day posted:

Best part of my bookshelf:

Finally went into my local bookstore during their back to school sale and picked up that copy of Earthsea. Now I've reading ahead of me!

Its not quite the heaviest book in my collection (that is my Globe Collected Works of Shakespeare) but its up there. A handsome book! And, strangely, nearly $30 cheaper than the collected Hanish cycle they also had on sale in a much smaller and non illustrated version vOv

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 31, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Bilirubin posted:

Finally went into my local bookstore during their back to school sale and picked up that copy of Earthsea. Now I've reading ahead of me!

Its not quite the heaviest book in my collection (that is my Globe Collected Works of Shakespeare) but its up there. A handsome book! And, strangely, nearly $30 cheaper than the collected Hanish cycle they also had on sale in a much smaller and illustrated version vOv

It’s extremely awesome, goongrats op :cheersdoge:

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

got some chores tonight posted:

I finished Max Gladstone's Empress of Forever. I never read The Craft Sequence, but I did enjoy This Is How You Lose The Time War. It's a pretty good space opera, emphasis operatic epic than hard sci-fi. I feel kind of silly because as soon as I finished the book and read the acknowledgements, I realised that I did not pick up any of the homages to Journey to the West that were so obvious in retrospect.

There's also a Seth Dickinson quote/review in the book, "A gloriously maximal space opera in the tradition of Banks and Rajaniemi - the diamond-bright adventure of five unlikely companions across a trans-human galaxy", if that sells the book any more.

In 2023 (cf. 2019), the set up of the story where a tech billionaire travels to a different dimension and learns that friendship is better than being a dipshit tech billionaire rear end in a top hat might be a bit eye-roll, but once you get past that, it's a solid read.

the craft sequence books, particularly the ones with Tara Abernathy, are a class above Empress imo. i thought that was forgettable and silly, although i also missed the Journey to the West influences - i mostly know that from Monkey (Saiyūki) and its endless repeats in Australia

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00309SCOE/
Shepherd's Crown (Discworld #41) by Terry Pratchett - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W2EBY8O/
On Blue Waters (Book of the Short Sun #1) by Gene Wolfe - $3.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003J5UI4G/
Nightside the Long Sun (Book of the Long Sun #1) by Gene Wolfe - $3.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YHUNTY/
Starfish (Rifters #1) by Peter Watts - $3.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M64A8EG/
Keeper of the Keys (Cycle of Fire #2) by Janny Wurts - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S6V4DV5/
Shadowfane (Cycle of Fire #3) by Janny Wurts - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S7BL67B/
A Spindle Splintered (Fractured Fables #1) by Alix E Harrow - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PSFF6PM/
The Near Witch by VE Schwab - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2GGTWW/
Thief's Magic (Millennium's Rule #1) by Trudi Canavan - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EXTQV2A/

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

pradmer posted:

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00309SCOE/

I picked up the Watts, thanks.

I'll also say, having reread recently, that To Say Nothing of the Dog is a great comedy of manners l, if you are into that sort of thing

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm currently reading The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells and really enjoying it. I'd only read her murderbot stuff until I read the element of fire a couple weeks ago because it's the previous book to this one, and this one was nominated for a nebula.

Both of them have been slow starters but really get going. The element of fire was her first published novel so it's excusable but it felt like she was cramming a lot of extraneous detail into the early parts of the book. The payoff is huge though, incredibly satisfying conclusion.

e: and was just reminded she is being treated for cancer :cripes:

mewse fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 1, 2023

Injera
Jul 4, 2005

I've bought Blindsight and The Sheep Look Up after discussions in the thread, had a long slump where I didn't read anywhere near as much as I usually do. Very much looking forward to the weekend to get back into it and those two seem perfectly up my alley for now! I got a used paperback for the sheep look up and it has the little form to tear out of the book to sign up for magazines from the 80s, I love when books have that, it feels like a portal back in time. :lovebird:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I started on Origin Complex, then decided to reread Steel Frame first.

It's really funny that this hardened criminal and former search and rescue pilot, who flies a space robot through endless, trackless space clouds, gets vertiginous about the thought of dropping relative-down from her space ship instead of going straight out from it.

Also the spooky song loses a little of its bite when your brain keeps automatically substituting it out for the theme from Sealab 2021.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Harold Fjord posted:

I'll also say, having reread recently, that To Say Nothing of the Dog is a great comedy of manners l, if you are into that sort of thing

I picked this up without ever hearing of this or the series. Any chance I can jump in without having read the first?

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Whale Vomit posted:

I picked this up without ever hearing of this or the series. Any chance I can jump in without having read the first?

It’s basically stand alone, so you’ll be fine. Wildly different tone from Doomsday Book, too.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Whale Vomit posted:

I'd read Doomsday Book first just because it's better but you don't need it for this book.

I would read Three Men in a Boat first though. It's not a requirement but To Say Nothing of the Dog is a homage.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

RDM posted:

I'd read Doomsday Book first just because it's better but you don't need it for this book.

I would read Three Men in a Boat first though. It's not a requirement but To Say Nothing of the Dog is a homage.

Three Men in a Boat is fantastic too. Fairly short and hilarious.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

HopperUK posted:

Incredibly fresh for something written while Jack the Ripper was at large.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

HopperUK posted:

To say nothing of the dog!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Speaking of men in boats I’m deep into Aubrey Maturin and god drat is THE SURGEON’S MATE good. The whole range of manners, intrigue and an absolutely cracking ship to ship action. Jack don’t crack

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

General Battuta posted:

Speaking of men in boats I’m deep into Aubrey Maturin and god drat is THE SURGEON’S MATE good. The whole range of manners, intrigue and an absolutely cracking ship to ship action. Jack don’t crack

Hell yeah, and you have like 7-8 absolute bangers in a row after that one. Such a crazy good run.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
No poo poo!? It just keeps going!!!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
gently caress yeah it does.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

General Battuta posted:

me thinking about GB’s posts when he reads the far side of the world

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

General Battuta posted:

it is eternally recurring; once you reach the end, you can start over at the beginning and it's even better

and even that keeps happening

I am so happy for anyone who starts these books because you have so much ahead of you

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’m jealous and I don’t have time for a reread right now.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I'm on book 19 of my first read through the series and gently caress yeah it keeps going. If anything they get better.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
I couldn't get through the first chapter of the first book but you all are making me think about trying again

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Try it as an audiobook, Patrick Tull is great.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Hyphen-ated posted:

I couldn't get through the first chapter of the first book but you all are making me think about trying again

General Battuta posted:

Try it as an audiobook, Patrick Tull is great.

Seconding the audiobook approach, it's one of those stories that really comes alive when it's read aloud. Or at least, the first book is! I need to get around to reading more.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Hyphen-ated posted:

Took me about half of the first book to "get" how the information is all presented, and then it all just starts slipping into the old think-meat.

Just finished The Mauritius Command but I gotta cleanse the palate with a little Battletech before reading the next one. They are still very dense.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hyphen-ated posted:

The trick is just accepting that there will be parts you don't understand and letting it just wash over you like a wave and then you keep going.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I sometimes skipped the sea battles

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I sometimes skipped the sea battles

:pwn:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm only there for the goat-buggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm only there for the goat-buggering.

What about the sloth-debauching?