Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

tuyop posted:

I have a wasp nest in my barbecue. What do I do???

All the articles I googled were just recursive ai garbage that described bees turning your barbecue into their kingdom and poo poo. I would like to not use insecticide if that’s possible.

Are you expecting them to leave with kind words and a prayer? This is why they make the wasp spray that shoots like 15 feet away so you can remove them without hurting yourself.

After you do so, make sure you run the grill super hot (assuming it's gas, otherwise build a bigass fire) to thoroughly burn off any residue before cooking food on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

I have a wasp nest in my barbecue. What do I do???

All the articles I googled were just recursive ai garbage that described bees turning your barbecue into their kingdom and poo poo. I would like to not use insecticide if that’s possible.

There is an obvious solution here, you just have to be brave enough to do it. :black101:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Fire up the bbq. Burn them fuckers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Turn it on and wait from a safe distance until there are no more wasps?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

set up a shopvac at their entrance and go have lunch

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Also post a thread about it like that OH poo poo BEES thread from classic SA.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Fire up the bbq. Burn them fuckers.

This is the easiest solution. Why hasn't it been tried? If it's a gas bbq (I don't care or care to care about bbq vs grill vs ???) just fire that bad boy up and walk away. If it's one where you have to burn charcoal or whatever then get a fire going on a shovel and dump it inside. Doesn't take much. Put like 5 brickets on a shovel, lighter fluid, get em going, dump em in, spray their hive with lighter fluid from a short distance. If this thing is near anything you're worried about setting on fire then wheel it away first.

For protection - Long sleeves tucked into work/gardening gloves, long pants tucked into socks, shirt tucked into pants, put on a belt to make sure, work gloves, make a turban out of a towel and put on sunglasses.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

How big a nest is it, and how easy access do you have directly to the nest?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I mean hell just spray it with lighter fluid and flick matches at it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Blowjob Overtime posted:

How big a nest is it, and how easy access do you have directly to the nest?

It’s only a little one and I’m going to deal with it tomorrow for sure! There will be pictures maybe.

It’s only a little thing in the barbecue burner shelf thingy, under a metal cover. I would light the nest on fire but it would burn the cover if I leave it closed and alert the residents if I open it first.

Maybe I just put the barbecue in the woods and forget about the whole thing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'm dumb but if someone with archives can post the link to the goon that burned them bees and threw the trailer hitch at them that would be dope.

I'm pretty sure the thread title was "OH poo poo BEES"

This goon needs some ideas for how to deal with these wasps.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

I'm dumb but if someone with archives can post the link to the goon that burned them bees and threw the trailer hitch at them that would be dope.

I'm pretty sure the thread title was "OH poo poo BEES"

This goon needs some ideas for how to deal with these wasps.

it's goldmined so you don't need archives, don't even need to be logged in.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2243176

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Brut posted:

it's goldmined so you don't need archives, don't even need to be logged in.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2243176

Oh hell yeah, hey wasp OP take some pointers from this thread about what to do with those fuckers!!

Post updates!!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Oh hell yeah, hey wasp OP take some pointers from this thread about what to do with those fuckers!!

Post updates!!

Yeah this, the main pointer being whatever you do, film it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm at my in-laws' mountain house this weekend, and when we got here the kitchen was full of ants. I went looking through the cabinets in the utility room and found a seemingly old box of ant bait. I put a couple out, and noticed the active ingredient is arsenic trioxide.

Is arsenic even sold anymore? Is it dangerous to have the ants tracking this stuff around? The baits aren't in a location where the kids or dog can get to them. The ants seem to love it.

How is the effectiveness vs a borax based bait?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Beef Of Ages posted:

Are you expecting them to leave with kind words and a prayer?
This made me giggle. Thank you.

FogHelmut posted:

I'm at my in-laws' mountain house this weekend, and when we got here the kitchen was full of ants. I went looking through the cabinets in the utility room and found a seemingly old box of ant bait. I put a couple out, and noticed the active ingredient is arsenic trioxide.
You do not want to put arsenic down in your kitchen. Why? It never leaves. Your kitchen floor is going to be an arsenic-tainted kitchen floor forever. You don't want that. Arsenic is also now known to be a carcinogen. Furthermore, it's less effective than any good ant bait trap.

Don't be like me. Avoid Arsenic.

e: Also, call the local health office and ask how to dispose of arsenic. It shouldn't go to the dump, either.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Lol googling it it's used as a cancer drug for a specific type of cancer. Otherwise yeah it's quite toxic and you should give it to a hazmat place and use borax baits.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

tuyop posted:

It’s only a little one and I’m going to deal with it tomorrow for sure! There will be pictures maybe.

It’s only a little thing in the barbecue burner shelf thingy, under a metal cover. I would light the nest on fire but it would burn the cover if I leave it closed and alert the residents if I open it first.

Maybe I just put the barbecue in the woods and forget about the whole thing.
What do you mean burn the cover? If it’s all metal, it’s just going to get hot and then it will cool down again. You won’t be the first to have a flare-up on your grill.

But also, if you’re in an area where it gets cold and you don’t want to grill for awhile, you absolutely can just ignore it for awhile. Once it gets to 50°, they’re barely active, and when you have a good freeze, they all die except the queen.

e: if you’re in Canada I would absolutely 100% just ignore it for a few weeks. I would way rather do that than try to deal with wasp poison residue where you put your food

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 3, 2023

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm finding this stuff, "Grant's Kills Ants", with the arsenic trioxide formulation was sold possibly up until 2007. I'll get rid of it.

Anyway, I picked up some Terro liquid at the store today and the ants are currently gorging.

But then my kids found a fire ant mound in the backyard, so more fun tomorrow.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I'm finding this stuff, "Grant's Kills Ants", with the arsenic trioxide formulation was sold possibly up until 2007. I'll get rid of it.

Anyway, I picked up some Terro liquid at the store today and the ants are currently gorging.

But then my kids found a fire ant mound in the backyard, so more fun tomorrow.

You can just put a borax bait on the mound. They will eat it up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

What do you mean burn the cover? If it’s all metal, it’s just going to get hot and then it will cool down again. You won’t be the first to have a flare-up on your grill.

But also, if you’re in an area where it gets cold and you don’t want to grill for awhile, you absolutely can just ignore it for awhile. Once it gets to 50°, they’re barely active, and when you have a good freeze, they all die except the queen.

e: if you’re in Canada I would absolutely 100% just ignore it for a few weeks. I would way rather do that than try to deal with wasp poison residue where you put your food

I believe this is what I must do, thank you winter!

I did make a video for folks though. https://imgur.com/a/Sytd9Co

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tuyop posted:

I believe this is what I must do, thank you winter!

I did make a video for folks though. https://imgur.com/a/Sytd9Co

Lol yeah turn that poo poo on.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Should I buy a generator right now and eat the cost? Michigan had seven tornadoes a week and a half ago and I’ve already booked an electrician to wire a switch in.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
OK, the hot weather this season has done a number on a window unit AC and a stand fan at our house. The AC just blows cool, not cold, at max. It's a five-ear-old Frigidaire that was $200 and not really big enough when we bought it. I'd love to buy a bigger, quieter, one for next year, but I feel a little guilty about heaving this one if it's rechargeable or something.

The fan is just a cheapo stand fan. Run on the lowest setting because I hate the noise at night, it's been fine, but last night it started randomly ramping up and running at a roar, so we turned it off. It didn't seem to be getting hot or anything, but I have no idea whether it's just slipping up to its highest setting, or whether it will just keep going faster till it melts or something. Again, fixable, or garbage?

LOL, as I was typing and also conferring with partner over messages, Amazon let me know there's a portable AC/fan/heater unit on sale. Does anyone else feel like someone's looking over their shoulder all the time?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Window AC units are built to be cheap, and generally not built to be serviced. It sucks to throw away potentially usable hardware, but good luck finding an AC tech who will mess with it, much less one who will do it for less than the cost of a newer, more efficient unit. Ran into that with a 30 year old Refrigerator a few years back (more the "not serviceable" or "won't service" thing rather than the cost in the case of the fridge, though.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Window AC units are built to be cheap, and generally not built to be serviced. It sucks to throw away potentially usable hardware, but good luck finding an AC tech who will mess with it, much less one who will do it for less than the cost of a newer, more efficient unit. Ran into that with a 30 year old Refrigerator a few years back (more the "not serviceable" or "won't service" thing rather than the cost in the case of the fridge, though.)

Yep. I've played with this kind of thing before and they don't even have service ports. So before you can do anything you need to install clamp on or braise on service ports because these units are simply filled by weight at the factory through a piece of copper tubing which is then soldered shut and bent over itself. That amount of labor and materials just for step 1 is approaching the cost of a replacement unit.

It's simply economically unviable to repair anything on the sealed system. Need a switch, motor or sensor? Maybe. But you may not even be able to find it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My town takes white goods & (hopefully) recycles them.

I'll fix what I can, and will go the extra mile to restore broken things, but fuuuuuck working on a small window A/C unit.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I've just chased a wire behind my drywall. I've gone to install a back box to where the wire exits so I can add one of those brush faceplates and found there isn't enough depth between my plasterboard and breeze block to fit the back box.

The back box is 35mm deep, for the life of me, I can't find one with a smaller depth (only surface mount ones).

Do 25mm plastic back boxes even exist? Am I going about this the wrong way or has my plasterboard been installed at a non regulation distance from the breeze block? (UK and dot dab wall if that makes a difference)

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

guaranteed posted:

The fan is just a cheapo stand fan. Run on the lowest setting because I hate the noise at night, it's been fine, but last night it started randomly ramping up and running at a roar, so we turned it off. It didn't seem to be getting hot or anything, but I have no idea whether it's just slipping up to its highest setting, or whether it will just keep going faster till it melts or something. Again, fixable, or garbage?

The AC thing was already addressed, but the accumulation of dust on the fan blades can contribute to fan noise. If you can unplug it remove the front of the fan to dust the blades, you might find that it runs quieter.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tea Bone posted:

The back box is 35mm deep, for the life of me, I can't find one with a smaller depth (only surface mount ones).

Do 25mm plastic back boxes even exist? Am I going about this the wrong way or has my plasterboard been installed at a non regulation distance from the breeze block? (UK and dot dab wall if that makes a difference)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang-Non-Metallic-Low-Voltage-Old-Work-Bracket-SC100RR/100160916

These exist in the USA. Monoprice has them as well.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

guaranteed posted:

OK, the hot weather this season has done a number on a window unit AC and a stand fan at our house. The AC just blows cool, not cold, at max.

Sounds like it's probably just dirty. You'd have to pull the ac, take the cover off, and pull the condenser coil (the back one that is outside) out a bit without kinking the copper lines. Spray front and back of coil; if it's really dirty then use an alkaline foaming cleaner made for condenser coils.

If enough air isn't moving through the coil the head pressure gets too high and the compressor will shut off early/not run.

edit: spray down the front of the evaporator coil too, just don't get the electronics wet. The fan motor is sealed and isn't a worry when you're doing the condenser coil.

Blackbeer fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 7, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Before you spend money on cleaning solution I would run it and make sure the evap side is actually getting cold. (The smaller copper line coming out of the compressor that goes to the radiator looking thing that blows into your apartment.) If it's not getting cold it's done for. It should be very cold, not just "metal is cold when I touch it" cold.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well
I misread post^

Blackbeer fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 7, 2023

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
Thanks, guys, I figured it was probably pretty much toast, but I'd feel bad tossing it if it was easily possible to recharge and I just never heard of it. I think there's a guy in town who repairs and resells refrigerators and things. If I can find him I'll ask if he wants it at all. Honestly, this one was always too small to do enough good anyway; at its best it just kept the bedroom livable. We only get streaks of really hot weather here, it's not like Texas or something.

The fan blades are clean. It just sounds like it turns itself from low to high or maybe even higher than high at random, and I don't know enough about resistors and stuff to know whether it's just annoying or actually a fire danger. Fans are cheap and easy to come by, though, I just hate to throw stuff out if there's a fix I don't know about.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The plastic film on the inside of my microwave oven door has a small hole melted in it. Googling the problem lead to 3 distinct schools of thought:
  • 1. It is purely decorative, ignore it.
  • 2. It is essential to keep in the radiation. Don't use or stand in front of the microwave without it.
  • 3. It prevents the metal grill from getting dirty and corroding, which would eventually cause arcing. Fix it.

#3 seems pretty plausible to me so I want to fix it. What do I use to fix it?

Googling "microwave door film" isn't getting me anywhere. Amazon alternately shows me kitchen contact paper and microwave wave guide covers. Is there a special kind of plastic film I need, or is rando clear contact paper okay?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's #3 and you don't fix it because it's not fixable due to planned obsolescence. No parts will be available unless this is a very recent and high end model.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Motronic posted:

It's #3 and you don't fix it because it's not fixable due to planned obsolescence. No parts will be available unless this is a very recent and high end model.

That's what I was afraid of. :argh: Capitalismed again!

Thanks.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 9, 2023

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

How the gently caress do I change the bulb in this thing without breaking it?

No but cool lamp

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Two related questions for the thread on some water damage in the kitchen there from before we bought it:

Is this splitting end on the fridge cabinet repairable? Is there anything I can/should do to prevent further damage?

This stain on the, I assume, glue down vinyl below the dishwasher has resisted all typical attempts to clean it. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That cabinet door is not repairable. It's fiberboard, and when it got wet, the fibers swelled and popped the veneer loose.

No clue on the stain though. What cleaners have you tried?