Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When I read through Hikaru no Go a couple years ago the ending just kind of comes out of nowhere. Nothing really feels like it gets resolved in regards to Sai or the rivalry between Hikaru and Akira.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

When I read through Hikaru no Go a couple years ago the ending just kind of comes out of nowhere. Nothing really feels like it gets resolved in regards to Sai or the rivalry between Hikaru and Akira.

When I was reading it at the time, I believe the prominent rumor was that Jump/mangaka was going to sued for its depiction of a real-life go player, so the mangaka had to cancel the series. Nonetheless, I have been trying to find the source now, and I have failed to find a credible source.

Nevertheless, I assume the manga had to end for one reason or another, so it is the ending we got.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I remember reading recently when the series celebrated like 40 million in print, that the jankiness of the later portion of The Promised Neverland was due to editorial and magazine mandate to keep things moving along and wrap it up. The team had full planned out arcs for everything, but it all got cut short which makes what happened with the anime that much worse because they could have done that there.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

I remember reading recently when the series celebrated like 40 million in print, that the jankiness of the later portion of The Promised Neverland was due to editorial and magazine mandate to keep things moving along and wrap it up. The team had full planned out arcs for everything, but it all got cut short which makes what happened with the anime that much worse because they could have done that there.

I dunno, that one always seemed like they had a really strong first arc planned out but didn't really know where to go after that. I kinda lost interest after that first arc and am just going off of hearsay for the rest though so I'll take your word for it

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Yinlock posted:

I dunno, that one always seemed like they had a really strong first arc planned out but didn't really know where to go after that. I kinda lost interest after that first arc and am just going off of hearsay for the rest though so I'll take your word for it

I think the story was still strong up until a little after the Goldy Pond arc. The real problems came predictably after the time skip and I'd agree things also became more rushed. But I also think the writer wasn't up to resolving a major conflict between two species and even if he'd expended on some of the mechanisms to resolve things I'd still probably think they were dumb.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
New manga on Manga Plus from the creator of Moebana: Tsuruko Returns the Favor

The premise seems a little worrisome!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Shinji2015 posted:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

lol yeah, I was skimming through the comments. From what I saw, half of them were "oh nooooo," and the other half were a mix of "Moebana was pretty wholesome so I'm gonna give it a chance" and "sEe YoU jUsT dOnT uNdErStAnD jApAnEsE cUlTuRe~"

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

service wars is in an extremely unserious tournament arc right now and it owns

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

panko posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, this is a very serious competition.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakamoto Days: Halloween

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how Sakamoto Days is the third series that is currently running in Jump that has a big dramatic moment happen on Halloween.

panko posted:

The reversal in this week's was a lot of fun.

So Fabricant is definitely ending what with getting the creator's backstory. While Do Retry could go either way, this is the end or just a setback that the MC has to grow from. Although speaking of endings, I have to wonder if Witch Watch is actually going to continue after the Day of the Disaster is over because IIRC that was the whole reason Moi was living with Nico in the first place.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kind of funny how Sakamoto Days is the third series that is currently running in Jump that has a big dramatic moment happen on Halloween.

The reversal in this week's was a lot of fun.

So Fabricant is definitely ending what with getting the creator's backstory. While Do Retry could go either way, this is the end or just a setback that the MC has to grow from. Although speaking of endings, I have to wonder if Witch Watch is actually going to continue after the Day of the Disaster is over because IIRC that was the whole reason Moi was living with Nico in the first place.

Yeah, I don't know if Witch Watch is going to end, but it does feel like that it could if the creator wanted. Lotta things are getting tied up, and while it could go back to gags after this arc, I dunno how much juice would be left afterwards

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Shinji2015 posted:

The mangaka is really into idol and otaku culture. That is the only thing in common between the two mangas. Otherwise, this seems to be the opposite of Moebana, where everything was wholesome and it was about relationships and flowers. Moebana ended with the protagonist becoming a teacher, and now Tsuruko Returns the Favor starts with a teacher as the protagonist. Perhaps cancellation has scared the mangaka, so the mangaka has resorted to the dark side.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

. While Do Retry could go either way, this is the end or just a setback that the MC has to grow from.

U19! U19! U19!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

What happens to a mangaka who has 2 of these in a row?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The dumb gag in Yozakura where the art shifts to deliberately crap scribbles whenever someone is emotionally destroyed gets me everytime.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 2, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think I'm done with Shojo Null. Just a bunch of unpleasant characters.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MarriageToxin: I love the windwheel users also "Jacked and the beanstalk" :lol:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

MarriageToxin: I love the windwheel users also "Jacked and the beanstalk" :lol:

They are absolute dorks, it's great! :allears:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

I think I'm done with Shojo Null. Just a bunch of unpleasant characters.

Yeah saw the first page or whatever of the newest chapter and said no thanks.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SpacePig posted:

What happens to a mangaka who has 2 of these in a row?

Hasn't happened yet, in recent memory at least.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Mikane and The Sea Woman: Yukko you are incredibly nice and also an incredible dumbass.

Shoujo Null: Oh hey, a chapter that wasn't laughably edgy. I guess the author needs to recharge batteries once in a while?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I wouldn't be against Shojo Null calming down a little.

The story was verging close to the conflict being easily solved by wiping humanity off the face of the earth and being done with it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Did I imagine there being another Red Hood series or a rerun or something?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

You might have seen the English volumes being announced?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Mikane and The Sea Woman: Yukko you are incredibly nice and also an incredible dumbass.

She's far too honorable for her own purposes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

1st Stage Midboss posted:

You might have seen the English volumes being announced?

I guess? For some reason I was under the impression they were trying to do it again outside of Shonen Jump. Or something along those lines.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

I guess? For some reason I was under the impression they were trying to do it again outside of Shonen Jump. Or something along those lines.

Nope, Red hoods dead.
The series that is moving out of WSJ is Black Clover, moving into the monthly Jump GIGA.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viz put up all of Yaketate! Japan and man that was a series I probably didn't need to revisit without nostalgia glasses.

The early parts are still fun, I'd argue up to the Monico Cup is fun and charming, but the absolute cliff dive it takes after that is kind of bewildering. It becomes this weird mean-spirited thing where everyone is kind of an rear end in a top hat bully, eating bread becomes a way to permanently maim people, and the author appears to have a personal vendetta against a specific character with how badly the writing treats them, all the way to a weird nonsense ending.

I really remember loving the series when I read it when I was younger but it's really only up to the Monico Cup I recalled with any fondness.

Joe Desperado
Mar 11, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hasn't happened yet, in recent memory at least.

I mean, it's not that uncommon for authors to have a few flops before finally finding success. Horikoshi of My Hero Academia comes to mind.

Getting U19'd is far from a death sentence in the industry.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Joe Desperado posted:

I mean, it's not that uncommon for authors to have a few flops before finally finding success. Horikoshi of My Hero Academia comes to mind.

(Cries in Onio)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

The red hood mangaka is pretty active on Twitter, and does sometimes post art of red hood characters, too.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Every time Red Hood comes up I reread the whole thing and get mad that it was canceled. But also it has a banger of an ending considering the cancellation. Either way, probably the early cancellation I’m most confused by. I don’t understand why it wasn’t more well received.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, I don't know if Witch Watch is going to end, but it does feel like that it could if the creator wanted. Lotta things are getting tied up, and while it could go back to gags after this arc, I dunno how much juice would be left afterwards

The actual prophecy has yet to be fulfilled: "moon being devoured". I doubt it is ending just yet, and all of the defeated foes seem to have become friendly and affable. And the real evil mastermind has yet to show themselves.

Brought To You By posted:

She's far too honorable for her own purposes.

Sounds like a friend everyone should have

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Joe Desperado posted:

Yeah most of the U19ers, except U19, get a second chance. Having a published but cancelled series in jump seems like its better than not having any published series at all.

Ive also found this blogpost
http://landofobscusion.blogspot.com/2023/07/the-tangerine-terminator-look-at-shonen.html
looking back at the entire history of WSJ and counting how many series get cancelled.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Every time Red Hood comes up I reread the whole thing and get mad that it was canceled. But also it has a banger of an ending considering the cancellation. Either way, probably the early cancellation I’m most confused by. I don’t understand why it wasn’t more well received.

Yeah, I liked it too. :smith:

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Fabricant truly ended and lmao at 100's way of thinking during the finale.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

RIP Do Retry.

RIP Fabricant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It was slightly rushed, but to be honest, it does feel like Fabricant did the ending it was planned to have from the start, so I'm not bothered by it.