Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
There are strange men here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Quick! Retreat to the panic plant room and disable oxygen supplies to the rest of the house

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Even with the best intentions and materials brick will blow and mortar will soften over a hundred years. Is that a “house stays up” service life or a “materials will stand up to remodelling” service life?

Those specific fallen over buildings notwithstanding (lol).

I think piles of rocks hold up fairly well.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

In the same way Koreans have fan death is 99 going to bring hermetically sealed house death into the general consciousness?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol back from the builder's merchants and their vans are now next door at the pub. Knocked off at 2!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Did they want to start at 7?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is it too hot for the stuff to do the thing?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Survivorship bias. A whole bunches of houses from the previous century got torn down and rebuilt, and some of them might well have fallen down otherwise.

survivorship bias is a real thing, sure. But houses built in 1963 have not started falling apart en masse, either. Even really shoddy ones.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Leperflesh posted:

survivorship bias is a real thing, sure. But houses built in 1963 have not started falling apart en masse, either. Even really shoddy ones.
I'm having a hard time thinking of counterexamples, so I'll give you that.

Tangent: There's a '50s Frederik Pohl called Gladiator-at-Law about a near-future fallen American society, and one of Pohl's theses is that the American Levittowns have instantly become slums because of the poor quality of the building. (A) whoopsy and (B) Pohl didn't seem to contemplate that people constantly repair their houses.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I don’t know why 99 is so worried about the crumbly bricks, the plaster will add structural integrity, and become load bearing

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Right got my floorboards!

Continueing to pile fibreglass horror budges in the ceilings

So I've still got a bunch of door linings to get in before the plasterers arrive but thats old hat, you know how that works.

What hasn't been decided is the hallway entranceway situation in terms of whats going on with the loft. attic?

So basically when you pay someone loads of money and get scared cos theyre actually coming and youre about to look like a moron is you quickly make some decisions.

OK so spiral staircase. 1200mm diameter. model it. doable.

Doesnt impact entryway hallway too much

So do that. I aleady have the right timber to make this up. but its being a temporary floor in the GREAT ROOM so I'll kust buy more because imagine upsetting a plasterer.

wood in

wrap everythi9ng in airtightness

Stick plasterboard up

LOL this is all happening at an incredibly stressful canter in order to not look like a charlatan not ready for plasterers person.

Lots of stupid little jobs to do, cut off ends of big metal brackets holding front door in

Upstairs sorting too

... And then...

The plasterers

I don't take any pictures whilst they can see me incase it sets them off, plasterers have a terrible reputation

but actually

Theyre cool. Maybe I'm weirder than I remember.

Yeah they seem to sing and dance and enjoy themselves which is very much not a this site thing. Yes the language is... choice. But at the same time they all refer to each other as darling which is quite endearing.

Lol as documented they apparently finish at 2:30 each day and relocate to the pub next door. It is so relaxing when theyve gone. blissfull. But then I walk outside and can hear the same booming voices only now from next door and not doing any work lol. It is good to have sent some trade the pubs way.

Not sure the pub is going to survive if they need each neighbour to pay 13 thousand pounds to get some tradies to come in and buy a couple of pints but what do I know about running a pub.

window reveals (is that the term?)

how they gunk over my cable stuff

I have identified this tool as the one they use to do the big messing every up scribbles on the walls. I'm thinking about hiding it at like 3 or something after they've left and I'm still on site for like another 5 hours. Maybe they wont mess up all the walls then?

What I'm particularly enjoying is the care and attention they give to all my wiring I have spent months carefully colour code braiding just the way I like it

lol. I'm a big boy. I can deal with this

Corner bits. I had to drive back to town seperate to get these

Also theyve blown through all the 3 pallets of KD2 already, reckon another 2 or 3. hmmm. so like another grand? yeah cool.

I do quite like this finish though? just leave it like this. Torture sheek

It smells funny though. and all the rooms are very echoey now. Weird how much its changed the acoustics.

But I'm holding them up now. Need the two last complicated door linings in. The brick one I've spoken about and the wide, double door one between the bedroom wing of the L and the great room.

But its very difficult to do work with the bigger boys there. They keep doing funny voices and stuff.

I need to do this in my own time.

I've decided to not gently caress about with lintels and poo poo in the brick doorway. Just buy some extra whitewood timber and make my own door linings then buy at probably huge expense a custom door.

For all I bitch and moan about the blocks. gently caress me screwing that lining into the bricks is a massive ballache. Figure out a way to do it with my gentle drill but its jumping about. So I decide to foam it first to hopefully help hold it in place as I properly mechanically screw it in. Seems to go ok but my drill bit burns out and wont do poo poo so I decide rather than think about it to deploy bigger, harder drills.

and blow out the bricks. Fuuuck. Eh I Figure it out. Use some fixing gunk. That one blown out half brick doesnt delay the plasterers and I think I can just come back later and carefully grind out the face of it and match the mortar and put back in like a fake brick slip from a leftover brick. Eurgh though

I tell them this room is ready and theyve not interested. Need the hallway door at the other end of the lounge done.

No way I'm doing that with them here. Wait for them to go.

So

Its 1.5m wide the aperture for that door. But I'm not sure I want double doors there anymore. One will hit the woodburner

So now its a single big door. Need to make up the lining myself

and its not a fuckup

But I don't think they do single big doors really that wide so I've shaved it down to 1200mm.

As if I'm dealing with that with them there.

Chopping up some blocks

Doing my own little relaxed wall with my podcasts on

getting a bit wobbly, probably tie it in

stressfree new door aperture.

Fit the lining tomorrow morning.

Also been in the loft glueing down floorboards so I can get round to plasterboarding that out to give them that to do

Looks like good progress

not from this angle

Phew big couple of days.

Get home to drink wine, cook dinner and make post. But some combination of all the things I've done today has rendered my hands uncleanable. Nothing will strip this poo poo from me, this is like an hours attempt

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's just loads of cocks and balls, isn't it
all scribbled on top of each other, some kind of insane full-house Rorschach test, made entirely of cocks and balls

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I enjoyed that “leperflesh” posted just after that picture of 99s hand

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

And with an accurate summation of said hands activities these days

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Is that a child or have I grossly unserestimated the size of the house?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

Maybe I'm weirder than I remember.
:shrug:

quote:

some combination of all the things I've done today has rendered my hands uncleanable

:hmmyes:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Jack and the beanstalk, but the beanstalks are subterranean piles.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm paying per msq. Its up to the plasterers who they employ and how legal it is

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The scribbling is so the next plaster has something to grab on.

v good builder work, 99

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Might suck and be stressful but look at how much house you're getting out of it! It's another big step in the important progression of Looking Like A House.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

quote:

some combination of all the things I've done today has rendered my hands uncleanable
you could argue some of the things in this thread have done the same to our eyes

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

will these hands ne'er be clean?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
You can try turpentine, acetone or gasoline if you are desperate.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What I'm particularly enjoying is the care and attention they give to all my wiring I have spent months carefully colour code braiding just the way I like it

lol. I'm a big boy. I can deal with this

lol, told you

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Still better than the underfloor heating butchering by the concrete guys.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
crowdfunding a Kevin MacLeod cameo where he comes to NJANs house and slags it off

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Gasmask posted:

crowdfunding a Kevin MacLeod cameo where he comes to NJANs house and slags it off

I'm sure AI can whip something up

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gasmask posted:

I think Kevin would say all nice, poetic things. While keeping one eye on an exit at all times.

E: just checked and Kev isn't on Cameo, sadly

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I reckon Kevin MacLeod would come and compose some royalty free music for the occasion.

If Kevin McCloud is unavailable maybe we could get Kevin Bridges instead?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: just checked and Kev isn't on Cameo, sadly

Rudy Giuliani is, if you want to see if you can get him to say this house is worse than 9/11.

I think the house is coming along well, all things considered. Don't tell OP though:ssh:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

vanity slug posted:

lol, told you

Ya not sure what was expected there. Seems there are off the shelf solutions too
https://blank-it.co.uk/
https://www.protection.co.uk/products/backboxshield-backbox-cover

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Epitope posted:

Ya not sure what was expected there. Seems there are off the shelf solutions too

Not happening. Can you link a lot of similar sized yogurt lids on ebay?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah I knew these products existed but I partly didn't look into as I knew I was too tight to spend money on things I'll throw away. And partly just didnt have time seeing as the build is moving so fast.

But lol that link is literally just the 2 ply plastic stuff i've got poo poo loads of from sticking up protecting the bifolds cut into little squares and sold for 70quid. Annoying I could have done that and saved myself some future effort. Maybe I will get round to doing it for the other half of the build although 90% of the backboxes are in the already done wing.

I guess I can cut up my leftover protective window stuff and sell it on ebay for probably like... hold on... 33,600,000mm2 of it, a single socket is like 5,184mm2

That company was selling 240 units for 70 quid - 1,244,160

so...hmmm only 27 sets

so 1800 quid ish. Half that if double sockets.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Elastic bands and cling film?

Aka the poor man's condom

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Epitope posted:

Anybody else as surprised as I am to see that 99 is doing things very similar to the example photos? England is wack.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

stressfree new door aperture.

Lmao is that how bricks are meant to work?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

WhatEvil posted:

Lmao is that how bricks are meant to work?

Shh, they're not bricks

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Shoulda taken the chance to use wood, for some structural integrity.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Why not lower the top part of the house and make the foundations part of the internal structure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's a good idea. Along with the cheeky loft space which isn't really counted as usable internal house volume for government reasons, you can add an extra thirteen basement levels which they also don't need to know about. You've already got most of the work done, just fill out the spaces between the pilings! As an added bonus it's guaranteed to be airtight and won't add much to the heating bill.