Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sloth

But so much *joy* in these books

i first read them a s precocious 12 year old, having grown up around boats and with parents who loved period dramas it never felt that alien, even though I'm sure i didn't understand a good deal of it.

i knew what a spanker or a jibboom or a stay was but a royal or stuns'l or topgallant, where the orlop was what a xebec was were all a mystery but as many of you will know - it doesn't matter! they're just brilliant books that will pull you in and immerse you so fully that eventually you might suddenly realise why a reach might heel you too far and your stuns'l will be wet or that why you need a drogue anchor on a lee shore or why a heavy carronade broadside is dangerous in close combat but useless in a long stern chase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I enjoyed in book 13 or so when POB did the thing where maturin confidently describes something about sailing and I finally knew enough to laugh before he put in a line about the lieutenants sharing uncomfortable glances or something

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

BadOptics posted:

I would have never thought to be interested in reading fiction based on early 19th century sailing, but here I am ordering Master and Commander based off the thread's recommendations. I *did* love the movie, so pretty excited about going through all the novels. This may also get me to finish Hydrogen Sonata in a decent amount of time so I can get to M&C....

It's far inferior to A/M, but David Drake wrote a 13 book A/M in space series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCN_Series if you're feeling like more of the same tone after you finish

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
You fools I'm already coming up with religious and political disputes that will lead to the first airlock ejection of space Prague, or Sprague.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Benagain posted:

You fools I'm already coming up with religious and political disputes that will lead to the first airlock ejection of space Prague, or Sprague.

My friend William van de Camp from Space Prague made an obviously horrible theological point, and we all knew it and he knew it too, but no matter how many easy outs we tried to give him he just wouldn’t back down. We were all like “Take the L, Sprague de Camp”

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Now there's a writer who doesn't see much discussion. I don't think his fiction was very good, but he was one hell of a debunker.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My son had a problem in middle school: each week he was supposed to write down words in his reading that he didn't understand, then write out the definition. He had, and has, a vocabulary that would choke a goat. Patrick O'Brian got him through: orlop decks and cataplasms and shrouds to the rescue! His teacher complained that he wasn't doing the assignment right. My son pointed out that those were genuinely the only words he'd found that he didn't understand.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My son had a problem in middle school: each week he was supposed to write down words in his reading that he didn't understand, then write out the definition. He had, and has, a vocabulary that would choke a goat. Patrick O'Brian got him through: orlop decks and cataplasms and shrouds to the rescue! His teacher complained that he wasn't doing the assignment right. My son pointed out that those were genuinely the only words he'd found that he didn't understand.

That teacher is bad at encouraging kids!!! wtf!!!

I remember trying to read some of the Dunnett books and being excited I knew the word oriflamme already......because of Orcish Oriflamme, 3R enchantment your attacking creatures get +1/+0

...actually it might have been in these books instead, given ships sailing with flags...

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

silvergoose posted:

That teacher is bad at encouraging kids!!! wtf!!!

I remember trying to read some of the Dunnett books and being excited I knew the word oriflamme already......because of Orcish Oriflamme, 3R enchantment your attacking creatures get +1/+0

...actually it might have been in these books instead, given ships sailing with flags...

Lol any of the rare times I encounter the word oriflamme, I think of exactly the same thing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Be sure not to read Bio of a Space Tyrant first, or you'll be ruined for solar system allegories.

Or better yet, don't read that at all. It's the first series I noped out of for skeevy sex stuff.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I finished The Archive Undying and it was... Fine. I wanted to like it a lot more than I did, but I really think it was let down by its editor.

It felt a lot like reading a fanfic of an anime I haven't seen. I really loved all the glimpses at the world and gonzo tech strangeness going on, but there was too much going on (and simultaneously sort of not enough) to let the strengths of it shine. It reminded of the first edition of The Dawnhounds — it's clear that there's a really good book in there somewhere, it just needed someone else to guide it out. I'll read any sequel though, without hesitation.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Or better yet, don't read that at all. It's the first series I noped out of for skeevy sex stuff.

This is definitely good advice.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ask me about the Chaucer paper I wrote explaining tournament rules in The Knight's Tale based on my knowledge of D&D weapons . Got a good grade, too.

Tl; dr the weapons rules in the tournament forbade weapons that were strong against chain mail, iirc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mllaneza posted:

Skeevy is an understatement. Bio needs multiple content warnings.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Jedit posted:

It's got a great big one ("Piers Anthony") right on every cover.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
All Systems Red (Murderbot #1) by Martha Wells - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYZ8X5C/

The Blade Itself (First Law #1) by Joe Abercrombie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TOT9LDK/

Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces #3) by Harry Connolly - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004J4WKF6/

Arrival by Ted Chiang - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JEMPGWQ/

The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QPHT8CB/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you haven't yet, and if you like personality-centric thrillers, do try All Systems Red ASAP. The most credible first-person robot viewpoint I've ever seen.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ask me about the Chaucer paper I wrote explaining tournament rules in The Knight's Tale based on my knowledge of D&D weapons . Got a good grade, too.

Tl; dr the weapons rules in the tournament forbade weapons that were strong against chain mail, iirc.

That makes sense, the banned weapons are arrows, battle-axes, knives, and short swords (the last of which are explicitly described as stabbing weapons). Basically the late medieval equivalent of requiring weapons to be wrapped in pool noodles. Neat!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Quorum posted:

That makes sense, the banned weapons are arrows, battle-axes, knives, and short swords (the last of which are explicitly described as stabbing weapons). Basically the late medieval equivalent of requiring weapons to be wrapped in pool noodles. Neat!

Thanks! I actually did do some research after getting the thesis from D&D.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

was very confused by this until I realized they renamed the book. 10/10 classic and a must for any thread reader

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you haven't yet, and if you like personality-centric thrillers, do try All Systems Red ASAP. The most credible first-person robot viewpoint I've ever seen.

They are the best depictions of autism in my view. In a good, accessible way.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

torgeaux posted:

They are the best depictions of autism in my view. In a good, accessible way.

I've heard a lot of people with autism say that. It makes sense, given what I've read about autism, but I wouldn't know.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

buffalo all day posted:

was very confused by this until I realized they renamed the book. 10/10 classic and a must for any thread reader

:hai:

Also includes the story that inspired "Limitless"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

This is definitely good advice.

Advice I wish I'd taken. I was trapped in a house for seven months with two roommates and eventually, we all had to read each others' books. One of them was a Piers Anthony fan.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Madurai posted:

Advice I wish I'd taken. I was trapped in a house for seven months with two roommates and eventually, we all had to read each others' books. One of them was a Piers Anthony fan.

New two sentence horror just dropped

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

I can excuse a little cannibalism in a lifeboat situation, but yeah, it wasn't just the sex stuff. Which I will repeat, is awful.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Tee hee Three Men in a Boat.

Jerome K Jerome posted:

Mrs Hill bequeathed 1 pound annually to be divided at Easter between two boys and two girls who 'have never been undutiful to their parents; who have never been known to swear or to tell untruths, to steal, or to break windows.' Fancy giving up all that for five shillings a year! It is not worth it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I still stan Miles Vorkosigan as the best depiction of autism plus adhd

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Plus truly appalling amounts of narcissism. Not just the "okay, let's cover up my mutilating a fellow-soldier" moment, but "My mother may be having sex, I must take my entire family plus my wife who is in the middle of an important professional contract across the galaxy to cockblock!"

No, I've never forgiven him for that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I reckon that's more the result of Barrayaran aristo patriarchy bs than the auDHD but yes. At least Cordelia didn't let it stop her!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Kesper North posted:

I reckon that's more the result of Barrayaran aristo patriarchy bs than the auDHD but yes. At least Cordelia didn't let it stop her!

Cordelia is one of the all-time boss protagonists and there is no, exactly zero, stopping her.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Infinity Gate (Pandominion #1) by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B38STG6T/

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I have a new story out on Amazon :).

Power Armor for Poltergeists! (UK). PM me for a free review copy.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
What are some good books that deal with first alien contact? Especially ones that explore the human response in interesting ways.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

theblackw0lf posted:

What are some good books that deal with first alien contact? Especially ones that explore the human response in interesting ways.

Children of Time

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Children of Time

Technically not aliens!!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dean Koontz books are insanely readable but not really worth buying so I was pleased to note that most of his stuff is for free on KU, so I can read all that crap at no cost. Well, there was one price, you see I went to his twitter page and

https://twitter.com/deankoontz/status/1698762132332888466

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What is that haircut

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
wtf that's what he looks like? drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What a fantastic hairdo.