Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Azhais posted:

Not sure enders game qualifies as having either good story or good execution

Yeah, the "soft spot for sci-fi" line gives some leeway. I guess it depends on how soft they're talking e.g. I wouldn't have gone with Skyline. That'd probably be pushing the envelope. Some other divisive sci-fi recommendations would include John Carter, TRON:Legacy and GANTZ:O.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Toss in The Wind Rises too.

You missed a Miyazaki, and it’s historical.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
John Carter is dumb but it's at least moderately fun

I guess I'd include:

The Martian. Little let down by the ending but it's something I rewatch regularly.
Your Name. If you can cope with anime it's excellent.
Ex Machina. AI, since it's all the rage.
Arrival. Mysterious aliens.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Martian would've been such a good film if Damon had bit off his tongue in the first scene.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Prey.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

The Guest. (This borders horror)

That's a good one I forgot. I think it's because the title is so subtle. I keep thinking of something lighthearted like Houseguest (1995) starring Sinbad. Maybe I'd remember it if they had titled it Captain America Goes AWOL.

I think I'll finally watch Only God Forgives tonight.

kiimo posted:

Was just coming to post Edge of Tomorrow

I wish they'd titled it Live. Die. Repeat.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zogo posted:

That's a good one I forgot. I think it's because the title is so subtle. I keep thinking of something lighthearted like Houseguest (1995) starring Sinbad. Maybe I'd remember it if they had titled it Captain America Goes AWOL.

I think I'll finally watch Only God Forgives tonight.

I wish they'd titled it Live. Die. Repeat.

I helped come up with the tagline live die repeat then Home Entertainment slapped it all over the Boxes.

It should have been All You Need Is Kill. But the Dark Knight rear end in a top hat shooter in the Denver theater ruined that

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kiimo posted:

It should have been All You Need Is Kill. But the Dark Knight rear end in a top hat shooter in the Denver theater ruined that

How on Earth can that be true, when the Denver shooting was in summer 2012 and Edge of Tomorrow came out in summer 2014?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

After the shooting we were working on Gangster Squad. It had a scene where gangsters shot through the movie screen at the audience. It was in the trailer and the feature. After the Denver shooting we had to pull all the trailers out of circulation and rip that scene out and re-shoot the feature. When we got the Japanese graphic novel "All You Need Is Kill" there was still a shadow on everything we worked on.

Step one was removing the word Kill by retitling it. A nightmare retitling campaign ensued as nobody really had a good name. Tom Cruise thought the word "Edge" really evoked the sense of anything can happen.

I thought it sounded like a romance novel, but I was just a glorified assistant then.

It's a great movie though, and Live, Die, Repeat is actually better than Edge of Tomorrow.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was a light novel not a graphic novel.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thank you for that note.

Light novel.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I even thought about throwing Only God Forgives on there and didn't.

Love that movie. With all the pink and Ryan Gosling, it's like a home preview of Barbie.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Thanks for all the great suggestions, I've been putting them all into a list from top to bottom and I'm really excited to get through it. There's definitely stuff in there I would have never found myself. I just finished Moonlight tonight and was blown away by how well it was shot. Makes you appreciate how powerful silence can be, you don't need to fill every second of film with dialog or music.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

whiskas posted:

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I've been putting them all into a list from top to bottom and I'm really excited to get through it. There's definitely stuff in there I would have never found myself. I just finished Moonlight tonight and was blown away by how well it was shot. Makes you appreciate how powerful silence can be, you don't need to fill every second of film with dialog or music.

Since you liked Moonlight you might try Boyhood, if only to compare. Bildungsroman (not just coming-of-age, which can cover a short period like Stand by Me) isn't a common movie subgenre, and the only alternative approach to Moonlight's is Boyhood's. I'm not aware of anything like Boyhood being done in film before or since, though apparently Linklater's trying again.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I even thought about throwing Only God Forgives on there and didn't.

Love that movie. With all the pink and Ryan Gosling, it's like a home preview of Barbie.

Lmao

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Onomarchus posted:

Since you liked Moonlight you might try Boyhood, if only to compare. Bildungsroman (not just coming-of-age, which can cover a short period like Stand by Me) isn't a common movie subgenre, and the only alternative approach to Moonlight's is Boyhood's. I'm not aware of anything like Boyhood being done in film before or since, though apparently Linklater's trying again.

Truffaut's Antoine Doinel series starting with 400 Blows, although that's 3 films and one short.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Particularly melancholy film noir pre-70s? Slow, atmospheric, moody kinda stuff.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Blast of Silence

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Particularly melancholy film noir pre-70s? Slow, atmospheric, moody kinda stuff.

You need Le Samourai in your life. 1967, Alain Delon as a hitman with a code. It’s worth it just for the shots of his apartment.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think I'd call Le Samouraï a noir, it's ancestor is the gangster movie and it's lineage The Driver and Drive. They should watch it anyways though because it's loving sick, then Le Cercle Rouge afterwords to see the ancestor of Heat.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Le Samourai definitely fits the mood I want even if it's not quite noir. Great reminder to watch Le Cercle Rouge, though, haven't caught that yet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Army of Shadows is definitely a watch for you then too

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

feedmyleg posted:

From the classic noir era I'd think of Criss Cross, Act of Violence, Hangover Square, Out of the Past, Night & The City, The Reckless Moment.

I'd also think Marcel Carne's run of Port of Shadows, Hotel du Nord and Le jour se lève would fit.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

In A Lonely Place - a subdued Bogart does not play a detective like he did for years but instead a washed-up screenwriter who becomes the prime suspect in a murder. Such good stuff

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

In A Lonely Place - a subdued Bogart does not play a detective like he did for years but instead a washed-up screenwriter who becomes the prime suspect in a murder. Such good stuff

Darn you for beating me to my only recommendation, probably the best for this except maybe it's not slow. A rare (only?) noir where the solution to the mystery matters (I mean you couldn't make it work by rewriting the solution), though for an ironic reason.

EDIT: Oh runner-up, I tended to think of Pale Flower as just a really good yakuza film, but the critics call it a noir, which certainly does fit, and it would do for what you asked for.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 7, 2023

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for more movies like Bronson or Chopper where the main character is just completely loving unhinged in strange and/or unconventional ways. Emphasis on how how bizarre their insanity is, or how it doesn't fit into stereotypes of insanity or evil.

Obviously doesn't need to have a prison theme like those movies do.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for more movies like Bronson or Chopper where the main character is just completely loving unhinged in strange and/or unconventional ways. Emphasis on how how bizarre their insanity is, or how it doesn't fit into stereotypes of insanity or evil.

You might get a kick out of Legend. Really that’s kind of Tom Hardy’s gimmick.

From a different lens, you might also like pretty much anything Nicolas Wending Refn has done. “Close in examination of hosed up people doing hosed up things” is kind his gimmick.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

I'm not so pompous to say God has smiled on you this day, but God has smiled on me this day, because you have made my day, because I long to recommend Satantango, and I just got to.

A little bit of a stretch since there's no real main character, more of a lynchpin character like the Ledger joker is in Dark Knight. Maybe not the most insane or evil, but that movie defines outre, which is what you sound like you want most.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

From a different lens, you might also like pretty much anything Nicolas Wending Refn has done. “Close in examination of hosed up people doing hosed up things” is kind his gimmick.

Seen Legend and all of Refn's work, but those are excellent suggestions for what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Onomarchus posted:

I'm not so pompous to say God has smiled on you this day, but God has smiled on me this day, because you have made my day, because I long to recommend Satantango, and I just got to.

A little bit of a stretch since there's no real main character, more of a lynchpin character like the Ledger joker is in Dark Knight. Maybe not the most insane or evil, but that movie defines outre, which is what you sound like you want most.

I love long movies and long takes, so that looks right up my alley. Going to put it on on my next day off. Thank you!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Kvlt! posted:

Pi, maybe

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Another in that vein: Malone or Go Get Em Malone

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
just rewatched tim robbins' Cradle Will Rock and I need more of it, what movies are like it

entut1
Sep 19, 2023
If you like kung fu/action movies and animation, Kung Fu Panda (2008). It's funny, it has a really good script and features an amazing voice performance by Jack Black. If you're interested afterwards in a darker animated movie, watch the sequel, Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011). That one features a more layered villain, bigger action sequences, and it delves deeper into characters of the first movie.

entut1 fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 22, 2023

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

entut1 posted:

If you like kung fu/action movies and animation, Kung Fu Panda (2008). It's funny, it has a really good script and features an amazing voice performance by Jack Black. If you're interested afterwards in a darker animated movie, watch the sequel, Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011). That one features a more layered villain, bigger action sequences, and it delves deeper into characters of the first movie.

Who let the kids in here. Anyway, follow up your Kung Fu Panda with Jackie Chan's The Drunken Master

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
No trying to be a prick but Kung Fu Panda was a heavily promoted massively successful decade-and-a-half old mainstream animated blockbuster that spawned a handful of sequels and a TV show - recommending it feels like earnestly recommending Star Wars, and if you're interested in a darker science fiction movie, watch the sequel, The Empire Strikes Back. That one features a more layered villain, bigger action sequences, and it delves deeper into characters of the first movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I feel like a lot of people skipped Kung-Fu Panda because Dreamworks did not have the best reputation at the time. The fact that it has a bunch of sequels and spinoffs doesn't really mean anything—so did Madagascar and Despicable Me but that doesn't mean that someone who doesn't watch a lot of kids movies knows the difference.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No trying to be a prick but Kung Fu Panda was a heavily promoted massively successful decade-and-a-half old mainstream animated blockbuster that spawned a handful of sequels and a TV show - recommending it feels like earnestly recommending Star Wars, and if you're interested in a darker science fiction movie, watch the sequel, The Empire Strikes Back. That one features a more layered villain, bigger action sequences, and it delves deeper into characters of the first movie.

A bit harsh. I don’t think it’s in the public consciousness like Star Wars.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Okay, wow, I thought the thread was suggesting Kung Fu Panda as a follow up to Cradle Will Rock because Jack Black is also in it. :doh:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Okay, wow, I thought the thread was suggesting Kung Fu Panda as a follow up to Cradle Will Rock because Jack Black is also in it. :doh:

I had the exact same thought.

Partially because The Cradle Will Rock is like 6 different movies mashed into each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Magnetic North posted:

Not gonna lie I would watch a movie about a panda who is a homosexual, not a communist