Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It was slightly rushed, but to be honest, it does feel like Fabricant did the ending it was planned to have from the start, so I'm not bothered by it.

Slightly? I think it’s pretty obvious it speedran through storylines. It’s pacing was wild near the end. It got the ending it was going for, but I don’t think it had any impact. Shame, cause I think it had some potential, but just couldn’t make it work.

I’m interested to see how long Tenmaku can hold out for because I think it’s getting pretty interesting. If Do Retry and Fabricant are taking bullets that might keep it alive for a little bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Today in Sakamoto Days: Sakamoto has bad trigger discipline. Shameful!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: Another chapter establishing that our protagonist is deeply mentally unwell. Also, Oki is making a huge mistake. Although if it even comes to that, I suspect the whole "cheating" thing will go nowhere near the classic Yandere cliches.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Witch Watch has just had a bunch of really good fight sequences, but it really does go a long way to illustrating that Nico does absolutely nothing for this series except be a plot device. She's literally been stuck in a hole in the ground doing nothing for, what, six months?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The arc has only been going for 11 chapters.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Fabricant ended as well as it could have. It hit all the plot points and sped through them. Speeding this much means it lost some of the possible impact, but the adherence to how much Fabricants differ being carried all the way to the end was great. Fabricant had a good ending and I enjoyed my ride and the ending enough.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Witch Watch: I love anime fights that are basically just huge metaphors.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am liking MMA.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
My Mediocre Academia :grin:

Jokes aside though, a preview of the new series coming to WSJ in the next few weeks:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1698373214861169040?s=20

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1698373227771310199?s=20

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1698373244993036470?s=20

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1698373258536497594?s=20

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Three new series for the three free spots, sounds like Tenmaku Cinema will continue for a few months at least.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Been reading through Jujutsu Kaisen over the past month and change, just finished volume 19. Gotta say I'm struggling to continue at this point. I like some individual story beats like the lawyer dude in volume 19 was cool, but overall I truly could not be less engaged in this game thing that's going on and it feels like a strange direction to take the story, even though I assume it's gonna do some fake-out development and not take nearly as long as it seems set up to.

And besides Yuji who is still a fun MC, the series is at this point focusing on all the wrong characters for me. Megumi is intensely disinteresting and the fact that it feels like he's being set up as a deuteragonist is frustrating enough. All the girls and the cooler 2nd year guys being sidelined completely at the moment is really exacerbating that too. Overall I thought the series had promise WRT its female cast for a while, but at this point I'm not sure I could say a single one of them are on a character arc I like, and of course they are at this point all also absent from the story and feel irrelevant. The last relevance any of them had at this point with the 'conclusion' to the Zen'in clan conflict was frankly awfully done too. And don't get me started on the writing for the few minor female characters still popping up...

Overall it has felt like a trend for me for a good many volumes now that the fun and interesting characters in the story all get sidelined or killed - on all sides of the conflict. The most fun villains are gone at this point too! The main exception here being Gojo, who was fine as a character but way too overpowered to hang around and the story definitely did the right thing putting him in timeout for a while.

Finally, while I like Yuji, I am really struggling to engage with/care about Sukuna. Both as an individual character, and as a conduit through which Yuji grapples with morality.

Art is still nicely stylized and some of the powers/fights are cool and fun conceptually (see: lawyerfight) but it's not really enough on its own. And the other fight in V19 was far more boring.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 3, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I definitely agree that the story really took a turn for the worse once the game started. It felt like Akutami just started really getting into the weeds spending way too much time coming up with new curse users and their powers. I'm not really a "mechanics" guy so I've really struggled to care about anything that has happened in the series since.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Been reading through Jujutsu Kaisen over the past month and change, just finished volume 19. Gotta say I'm struggling to continue at this point. I like some individual story beats like the lawyer dude in volume 19 was cool, but overall I truly could not be less engaged in this game thing that's going on and it feels like a strange direction to take the story, even though I assume it's gonna do some fake-out development and not take nearly as long as it seems set up to.

And besides Yuji who is still a fun MC, the series is at this point focusing on all the wrong characters for me. Megumi is intensely disinteresting and the fact that it feels like he's being set up as a deuteragonist is frustrating enough. All the girls and the cooler 2nd year guys being sidelined completely at the moment is really exacerbating that too. Overall I thought the series had promise WRT its female cast for a while, but at this point I'm not sure I could say a single one of them are on a character arc I like, and of course they are at this point all also absent from the story and feel irrelevant. The last relevance any of them had at this point with the 'conclusion' to the Zen'in clan conflict was frankly awfully done too. And don't get me started on the writing for the few minor female characters still popping up...

Overall it has felt like a trend for me for a good many volumes now that the fun and interesting characters in the story all get sidelined or killed - on all sides of the conflict. The most fun villains are gone at this point too! The main exception here being Gojo, who was fine as a character but way too overpowered to hang around and the story definitely did the right thing putting him in timeout for a while.

Finally, while I like Yuji, I am really struggling to engage with/care about Sukuna. Both as an individual character, and as a conduit through which Yuji grapples with morality.

Art is still nicely stylized and some of the powers/fights are cool and fun conceptually (see: lawyerfight) but it's not really enough on its own. And the other fight in V19 was far more boring.

You are not alone there so don't worry

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing about Jujutsu Kaisen is that it had a big cast of characters I was interested in and then it decided to kill, maim, or sideline 90% of them and told me to be interested in a bunch of new characters it mostly killed, maimed, and sidelined

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah that's around where I fell off JJK too. The shibuya incident was just such a great set piece, with a huge amount of building that was paid off in a great way. Then the killing game thing feels like it comes out of nowhere, it really felt like a tacked-on excuse to just have cool fights. And admittedly the fights are cool, but I just couldn't really get invested in them.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

The culling game was a bit of a weird shift in gears following the Shibuya Incident, and I fell off the manga for some time while it was in publication, but I felt it went smoother on a reread. Not really a spoiler but just in case no one wants any context whatsoever about where the narrative is at now, it's also pretty much over at this point and the story is at a very climactic moment, so I would keep reading, it's fun to discuss what's going on now in the thread with us every week!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fabricated posted:

The thing about Jujutsu Kaisen is that it had a big cast of characters I was interested in and then it decided to kill, maim, or sideline 90% of them and told me to be interested in a bunch of new characters it mostly killed, maimed, and sidelined

The cruelest cut that really helped sour me on the series was Nobara's death at the end of the Shibuya arc. It just felt like a big misstep.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kill Blue: Tenma really looking like he walked out of Blue Lock on that last page.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Justin_Brett posted:

Kill Blue: Tenma really looking like he walked out of Blue Lock on that last page.

Tenma is an Egoist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

The cruelest cut that really helped sour me on the series was Nobara's death at the end of the Shibuya arc. It just felt like a big misstep.

Yeah, that's when I decided I wasn't interested in the series anymore.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fabricated posted:

poo poo like that irritates me. I know people get on OP's case about how nobody dies, but hey if the alt is mass kill waves of cool characters to make room for other characters to be added to grinder, then I'll take the former every time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it isn't much of a problem in one piece because the world is huge and the giant cast of characters are off doing their own things. jjk could have similarly expanded its setting to spread out the cast, but instead it went for the meat grinder.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it isn't much of a problem in one piece because the world is huge and the giant cast of characters are off doing their own things. jjk could have similarly expanded its setting to spread out the cast, but instead it went for the meat grinder.

I mean, Chainsaw Man made the meat grinder work. The thing is, it always kept focus tight on the Hayakawa crew, so we knew what to focus on, and the big deaths had room to shake the audience a bit while still keeping momentum. JJK, meanwhile, has a wider lens, so it's harder to know if you're going to get anything good from the latest characters or if they're just fodder. Especially when some characters with major setup wound up being pretty much pointless.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, Chainsaw Man made the meat grinder work.

At least more than JJK did.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sometimes you got a shonen with a big cast and your options to utlise them are to try and give all of them stuff here and there even if that keeps bogging things down (something like Bleach's solution) constantly be getting rid of them each arc (the OP solution) or you put em through the meat grinder so you don't got to deal with them. Otherwise you come to an issue say MHA is facing where you're at the end of the comic and you look back and realise "Wait a sec 90% of these guys did jack and poo poo!"

You could say that's a nicer problem to have than the meat grinder though. But it's a complication all sorts of stories with giant casts have to face and any of these are basically tried and true answers to the conundrum.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Fabricant ended as well as it could have. It hit all the plot points and sped through them. Speeding this much means it lost some of the possible impact, but the adherence to how much Fabricants differ being carried all the way to the end was great. Fabricant had a good ending and I enjoyed my ride and the ending enough.

This series went out pretty graceful all things considered and despite having to rush out it's ending. I'm glad the author didn't try and have #100 become more human and kept her this psychotic and obsessed abomination all the way to the end. This was a fairly middle of the road series for me, but I had a good time with it. Hope they can take this experience and carry it into a new series that will hopefully do better.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah that's around where I fell off JJK too. The shibuya incident was just such a great set piece, with a huge amount of building that was paid off in a great way. Then the killing game thing feels like it comes out of nowhere, it really felt like a tacked-on excuse to just have cool fights. And admittedly the fights are cool, but I just couldn't really get invested in them.
It isn't an exaggeration to say that everything prior to Shibuya was leading up to it and there was so much payoff for virtually every little detail. The Culling game wasn't a bad idea in theory but it was far too clunky in execution despite some good fights and there are plenty of weird moments that are supposed to make sense but wind up feeling like wastes of time like Foreign soldiers showing up in the domes or the conga line of bad fights that Sukuna and Kenjaku get where both of their female opponents wind up accomplishing nothing. It is better on a re-read like Tosk says, but not to the point where I really get as into it as other stuff like the mentorship arc with Nanami.

It is up in the air how Gege is going to cash out with this current arc because he's set up an interesting cast of characters but the ultimate goal to victory seems insurmountable should the current fight not pan out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

i would have been okay with this by itself but they left her death ambiguous for so long - or at least ambiguous by this series' standards, where every character who ends up dead isn't only merely dead but really most sincerely dead - that it dragged out the sour note way past the point of tolerance

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

i would have been okay with this by itself but they left her death ambiguous for so long - or at least ambiguous by this series' standards, where every character who ends up dead isn't only merely dead but really most sincerely dead - that it dragged out the sour note way past the point of tolerance

Isn't it still ambiguous or did I miss something?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A Sometimes Food posted:

Isn't it still ambiguous or did I miss something?

It still is and it's complete poo poo

I'm saying this as someone who still loves the series.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

It still is and it's complete poo poo

I'm saying this as someone who still loves the series.

Didn't they almost literally turn to the camera and say "don't get your hopes up about them coming back?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't they almost literally turn to the camera and say "don't get your hopes up about them coming back?"

like i said, that's extremely ambiguous by jjk's standards. most of the other dead characters' remains wouldn't fill a teacup

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dawgstar posted:

I mean in fiction a character saying something is unlikely or impossible is just teasing it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Dawgstar posted:

Considering how everyone else bites it, having multiple lines of dialogue like: "shes being healed but its not looking good" about a main character and then never explicitly confirming it or doing anything about her with the other characters lends some credence to her not being dead. She also got the ultimate cool manga scar of losing an eye. We are currently being robbed of eyepatch Nobara.

Look at this synopsis from the wiki:

Later, Arata Nitta, while aiding Yuji and Aoi Todo in facing off Mahito, tells Itadori that he has used his innate technique on Nobara, and since her wounds were relatively newly gained, her chances of survival were non-zero.[77] However he also warns Yuji against holding out too much hope for his comrade's recuperation

Like why do all that and then have her be dead???? Its just such a weird way to handle the character. To do all of the above and then not really let anyone process it or deal with it. It sucks!!

Still angry about this lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerkface posted:

Still angry about this lol

I wasn't trying to argue about it or anything, I genuinely think it sucks too and keeps up with the genre's not great handling of women.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Viz put up all of Yaketate! Japan and man that was a series I probably didn't need to revisit without nostalgia glasses.

The early parts are still fun, I'd argue up to the Monico Cup is fun and charming, but the absolute cliff dive it takes after that is kind of bewildering. It becomes this weird mean-spirited thing where everyone is kind of an rear end in a top hat bully, eating bread becomes a way to permanently maim people, and the author appears to have a personal vendetta against a specific character with how badly the writing treats them, all the way to a weird nonsense ending.

I really remember loving the series when I read it when I was younger but it's really only up to the Monico Cup I recalled with any fondness.

I re-read Yakitate Japan a few months ago as well and I agree, everything past the Monaco Cup is some meanspirited bullshit and body horror galore. It almost feels like the author resented having to write anything past that arc. And you're talking about Kawachi, right? :v: I loving hated that guy by the time the last arc rolled around. He was a useless loving rear end in a top hat who kept rolling back on any sort of character development he got just to be the comic relief yet again. Literally anyone can fill his spot and nothing of value would be lost. It's like Yakitate Japan wanted to copy Jonouchi from Yu-Gi-Oh but without understanding that Jonouchi in the manga made huge strides as a person and duelist and kept it that way.

Kai was also bad, but in a different way. For all that he was built up, dude was a jobber on the same level as Yamcha. I counted and he literally never won any fight that mattered. There was also the gross bit where the manager forced Kai's girlfriend to lie about being pregnant in order to stop Kai from committing seppuku when he lost to Azuma.

TBH, I forgot how the anime handled the last arc but I can only hope they did their own thing because the manga ended in such a garbage way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The fate of the evil stepsister is one of the most insane things I feel I have ever seen a story do with a villain, both in what literally happens in concept and the "oh btw" final panel they get.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nate RFB posted:

The fate of the evil stepsister is one of the most insane things I feel I have ever seen a story do with a villain, both in what literally happens in concept and the "oh btw" final panel they get.

What happens?

Also body horror? Isn't that manga just about making bread?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yes and yes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Electric Phantasm posted:

What happens?

Also body horror? Isn't that manga just about making bread?
The evil stepsister eats some bread that turns her into gas, and so for her to continue to live/exist in the story she gets stuffed into a blow up doll and carried around until the end where she's dropped by her lackies. Her final panel in the epilogue is yep she's still laying down motionless in some woods, forever unable to move from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nate RFB posted:

The evil stepsister eats some bread that turns her into gas, and so for her to continue to live/exist in the story she gets stuffed into a blow up doll and carried around until the end where she's dropped by her lackies. Her final panel in the epilogue is yep she's still laying down motionless in some woods, forever unable to move from there.

What the hell

This is something that would happen to a JoJo villain