Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Vandar posted:

IIRC the main event for that episode was literally 'The Shield versus everyone else' so the Shield was beating up everyone to even the odds and take them out of the match. It was great. :allears:

It absolutely was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWXF0mu0Q4o

Just completly wrecking everybody, and destroying 3MB was probably the best part of that.

Edit: Their attack on Maddox is not that video, so here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluaZYykMYs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
being a lapsed new japan fan, I can still pretend that evil is just the cool sports goth guy who hangs out with sanada, who has preposterous hair still

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Well I watched the back half of Raw and it didn't annoy me once. Gunther/Gable was good and the Miz segment was actually funny. The Dom stuff was good. And none of the rest pissed me off.

This is my most successful interaction with Raw in a pretty long time.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rarity posted:

Everyone here talking like EVIL and House of Torture aren't main eventing New Japan's next big show lol

well yeah they stopped watching and assumed Gedo came to his senses

Gedo did not come to his senses

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Eh I don't like House of Torture but the downturn in business was really due to Clap Crowds making shows just really not fun to be at and the matchs being long than House of Torture. Though booking a heavy heat unit during clap crowds where you really should be focusing more on short hard hitting matches sure was a choice

Yeah, I think HoT are the worst thing going in all the wrestling I watch and I watched 2023 Necrobutcher look unbelievably sad and pathetic, waving a Trump 2024 flag in Korakuen Hall while wearing a MAGA cap. But New Japan's downturn coincided with a downturn for the whole industry aside from Stardom. The whole world is acting like covid is over and Korakuen still hasn't needed to reopen the balconies. I don't know if it was actually the top seller since March 2020 but the NOAH show from July headlined by Kento Miyahara vs Katsuhiko Nakajima was the busiest Korakuen has felt and still did just over 1,500. New Japan for the G1 did 1470 for a show with Kaito Kiyomiya vs SANADA & Okada vs YOSHI-HASHI.

It's an nation wide thing

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Ganso Bomb posted:

Don’t know why but I read this in Hank Hill’s voice

checks out

https://voca.ro/1hSLc63CvtoQ

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Popy posted:

i still have a gif of this someone made here on my pc

heath slater was the mvp of pretty much anything he was booked in for years and they still let him go

the guy could make the dumbest possible poo poo on the page work on screen, it was pretty impressive

I still laugh about his 'how am I supposed to wrestle in the dark?!' line

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hahahaha this so loving perfect. I couldn’t figure out how to explain the tone I had in my head for “Rocky Maivia” but you nailed it here anyway. Thank you for this gift.

bartok
May 10, 2006

NJPW had Toru Yano fight Chase Owens for 20 minutes during the pandemic. I love Yano but his matches should rarely go beyond 5 minutes including entrances. Chase Owens can gently caress off forever.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

shorty g

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

[hushed] "... rocky miavia" is so perfect

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
"Vince, it's been eight years, I'm really not sure about this Rocky Maivia character."

"IT'S SUCH GOOD poo poo."

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

MJeff posted:

lmao oh my god, that show must've been such a death march.

I wanna go back to this real quick to give the opinion that Wrestlemania 32 is genuinely a Bottom 3 Mania for me not because it’s bad wrestling, but because almost every match was booked for heels or somebody no one wanted to win top to bottom. The one exception, Zach Ryder winning the Intercontinental Title, was only because the boys pitched for him to win together, and Vince settled on beating him the next night on Raw, which negated any good vibes. Miserable show that death march doesn’t begin to describe.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

MJeff posted:

lmao oh my god, that show must've been such a death march.

heres the PWWiki summary of all the segments.

If you prefer just results here those are

Two minute Ascension match...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

bladeworksmaster posted:

I wanna go back to this real quick to give the opinion that Wrestlemania 32 is genuinely a Bottom 3 Mania for me not because it’s bad wrestling, but because almost every match was booked for heels or somebody no one wanted to win top to bottom. The one exception, Zach Ryder winning the Intercontinental Title, was only because the boys pitched for him to win together, and Vince settled on beating him the next night on Raw, which negated any good vibes. Miserable show that death march doesn’t begin to describe.

I was looking at the card for that mania and thought “surely the new day retained after the booty-os entr-oh, nope.”

There was also the rock flamethrowering a metal sign

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Is this the Mania where Alberto's team won but then were beaten up by HBK, Foley and Austin? And then Austin also stunned Xavier Woods too but at least that was funny.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

bladeworksmaster posted:

This was the only time I have felt like a wrestling show actively hated me and I wish I could find who in the GDT was calling me hyperbolic.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

rotinaj posted:

There was also the rock flamethrowering a metal sign

I mainly remember that WrestleMania for my friend, hosting a watching party, suffering from a fever and with the show going on forever and getting stranger and stranger as it went on, he was regularly questioning reality.

"Why is Shaq here? Is that Tatanka? ...What is happening right now?"

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, ok it sucked to have Foley's family watching him get the chair from Rocky back in the day, ..ED.. you know what, this is stupid AF a thing to say to introduce the subject, but I'll just let this turd lie so it can get aired out.

Man, seeing Gable's little girls heart's breaking after the spike sleeperplex/powerbomb/linzlariat from Gunter on live TV really hosed me up.

I really, REALLY hope that they were coached. Otherwise....gently caress that. That's not a clown or an acrobat, that's their daddy.

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 5, 2023

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

SpeakSlow posted:

Yeah, ok it sucked to have Foley's family watching him get the chair from Rocky back in the day, ..ED.. you know what, this is stupid AF a thing to say to introduce the subject, but I'll just let this turd lie so it can get aired out.

Man, seeing Gable's little girls heart's breaking after the spike sleeperplex/powerbomb/linzlariat from Gunter on live TV really hosed me up.

I really, REALLY hope that they were coached. Otherwise....gently caress that. That's not a clown or an acrobat, that's their daddy.

You can see -1's (and EMF's,) heart break in real time when Cody lost at WrestleMania, never smarten up children.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

SpeakSlow posted:

That's not a clown

Well…

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

projecthalaxy posted:

heres the PWWiki summary of all the segments.

If you prefer just results here those are

Two minute Ascension match...

i was a fan of the ascension’s nxt run before they got called up. their presentation, entrance, and theme all loving ripped. it’s criminal how they were treated on the main roster.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DEAR RICHARD posted:

i was a fan of the ascension’s nxt run before they got called up. their presentation, entrance, and theme all loving ripped. it’s criminal how they were treated on the main roster.

At least they didn't make the one eat cheese again

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The peak of ascension was them coming back at whichever money in the bank 17 maybe, konnor being 80 pounds heavier for no reason, and them immediately becoming the bulk and skull/team rocket of the fashion files

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Lumbermouth posted:

This was the only time I have felt like a wrestling show actively hated me and I wish I could find who in the GDT was calling me hyperbolic.

You were definitely not hyperbolic, it’s one of the few shows I can think of that had that much concentrated gently caress You booking in it. Thank god All In toppled its attendance record.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Is this the Mania where Alberto's team won but then were beaten up by HBK, Foley and Austin? And then Austin also stunned Xavier Woods too but at least that was funny.

This segment at the time really rubbed in the “Old guard are the only ones that matter” mood apart from Roman, so it only added to the frustration of the show despite being okay for what it was.

EDIT: Whoops, double post, sorry bout that!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mania 32 was the last one I ever watched I think

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

DEAR RICHARD posted:

It's part of the reason I don't watch NXT, why bother watching it when the grand poobah will remake a wrestler in his image?

Come to think of it, with the impending deal, who will run WWE once Vince dies?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Vince

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

At least they didn't make the one eat cheese again

He had to know instantly when he got that rat boy gimmick he was hosed.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Island Nation posted:

The entire company gets entombed with him

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Island Nation posted:

It's part of the reason I don't watch NXT, why bother watching it when the grand poobah will remake a wrestler in his image?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

didn't gable try to say at some point that shorty g was his idea

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Wrestlemania 32 felt like an assault. It truly felt like it was booked to spite absolutely every single person who was watching the show no matter who you were a fan of. The Rock/Erick Rowan squash nearly caused a friend group implosion because of how miserable the show was until that point, but it all culminated in an absolutely loving hilarious (awful) video package at the very end recapping the show we just watched set to one of my partner's least favorite songs, Victorious by Panic! At The Disco. It was like the show was laughing in your face and rubbing it in. One hell of a punchline. Just an utterly grim Mania through and through.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Remember the Royal Rumble where Kane and Big Show dumped out literally ALL your favourites?

That was the biggest most obvious spite booking of all the times

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

Remember the Royal Rumble where Kane and Big Show dumped out literally ALL your favourites?

That was the biggest most obvious spite booking of all the times

Yeah that's the same Rumble where Danielson got eliminated and "Shattered Dreams Production" appeared almost immediately on the screen. Also the Rock getting booed out of the building at the end raising Roman's arm. That's a really funny Rumble.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Doubtful, Big Daddy worked in WCW

History Comes Inside! posted:

The entire company gets entombed with him

I think Vince cannot see WWE existing without him. The only reason he's selling it is to guarantee his presence after the company wanted him gone.

Ironically, selling it to Endeavor could likely doom it. Dana White will make every attempt to have Ari shutter WWE when Vince dies.

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Wrestlemania 32 felt like an assault. It truly felt like it was booked to spite absolutely every single person who was watching the show no matter who you were a fan of. The Rock/Erick Rowan squash nearly caused a friend group implosion because of how miserable the show was until that point, but it all culminated in an absolutely loving hilarious (awful) video package at the very end recapping the show we just watched set to one of my partner's least favorite songs, Victorious by Panic! At The Disco. It was like the show was laughing in your face and rubbing it in. One hell of a punchline. Just an utterly grim Mania through and through.

I remember it getting posted in the spoiler thread when all the betting lines majorly shifted before the show, and everyone was just like no way, there's no way they'd actually make all those the results.

And then as the show went on and it became clear it was just an entire card of "gently caress you" knowing the rest of the results made it extra hilarious instead of depressing.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTfkcSnTVMI

I am having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that there are people who grew up hearing michael cole as their first announcer and being nostalgic for him

Michael Cole is so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

he did good on that mankind call