Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

I love that they think Oda not answering questions is anything new, like 3/4 of the SBS are taking the piss.

Yeah, like everybody's birthday comes from people writing in and saying when they think it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
everyone who cares strongly about that argument is basically just getting into a dick fight anyway

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I would watch that fight :jebstare:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

the Yaoi Piece is reaaaal

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love whenever somebody asks Oda a question where it's clear they've either very close or on-the-nose about something that hasn't been revealed yet, and he writes an answer of him getting increasingly nervous and then running away :allears:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

starting episode 2 of live action One Piece.
they made Zoro's 3-sword style look pretty serviceable when it was mostly a 'its a manga, it works' kind of deal. Credit to the actor who had previous choreography work.

and wow, Buggy is amazing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I love the anime’s reasoning of little kid even dumber Zoro going “if I can’t beat Kuina with two swords then I’ll just use three!” because nothing else makes sense besides the explanation that Zoro was originally a scrapped character from Buggy’s crew.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Last Celebration posted:

I love the anime’s reasoning of little kid even dumber Zoro going “if I can’t beat Kuina with two swords then I’ll just use three!” because nothing else makes sense besides the explanation that Zoro was originally a scrapped character from Buggy’s crew.

1 sword is 100.

Thus 2 sword is 200

Therefore, 3 sword is 300!!!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Can Of Worms posted:

So in the realm of youtubers giving their first impressions to One Piece, I got recommended this video series where the youtuber has his mom (who is a teacher) give her reactions, and in the second video she makes an interesting observation about Arlong Park: we're told about how the Gosa village got destroyed because they rebelled, and then afterwards Cocoyasi village also rebels, but they succeed because Luffy was there. This might be foreshadowing what we know about the One Piece and the Void Century, i.e. the Void Century might have been some conflict between the Void Kingdom and the World Government that ended in the Void Kingdom's defeat and we know that Wano, Zou, Fishman Island etc. were all waiting for Joy Boy to appear, as well as Roger being too early for the One Piece. (obviously the youtuber didn't tell his mom any of that but he was very intrigued by her comment.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xwPXhlrvb4

I'm in the middle of watching ep 3 and the mom is already speculating Raftel is supposed be pronounced Laftel and is related to laughter/jokes, she's too powerful :catstare:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Supremezero posted:

1 sword is 100.

Thus 2 sword is 200

Therefore, 3 sword is 300!!!

Each sword is 360 actually, hence the 1080 pound phoenix

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Eiba posted:

I have no idea what "marked out" means, but same. That music. God drat.

wrestling parlance indicating that one has abandoned their cynicism and is in the immediate moment appreciating what they are seeing for what it is being presented as, and not for any behind the scenes implications or concerns about verisimilitude.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Can Of Worms posted:

I'm in the middle of watching ep 3 and the mom is already speculating Raftel is supposed be pronounced Laftel and is related to laughter/jokes, she's too powerful :catstare:

Wait until she finds out the ”Gold Roger” wanted poster is intentionally misspelled as a cover-up

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Can Of Worms posted:

Yeah, these are really good and she has some insane insights. It's really fascinating to listen to and I love how she stops to like google meanings of names. I've read early One Piece probably ten times and am learning a ton of new stuff!

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

you know that episode of farscape where they get sucked into that agricultural cult and every day they say "rejoice, for tomorrow is a rest day" but that day of rest never comes, they just wake up and keep working forever and continue thinking tomorrow is the rest day. I feel like that except its one piece and...you know, break weeks. Look, I know it's not a perfect metaphor.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

bitmap posted:

you know that episode of farscape where they get sucked into that agricultural cult and every day they say "rejoice, for tomorrow is a rest day" but that day of rest never comes, they just wake up and keep working forever and continue thinking tomorrow is the rest day. I feel like that except its one piece and...you know, break weeks. Look, I know it's not a perfect metaphor.
Last week we got an insanely good episode of the anime, eight hours of live action and a pretty sick chapter of the manga. That will sustain us.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

Last week we got an insanely good episode of the anime, eight hours of live action and a pretty sick chapter of the manga. That will sustain us.

No…no it won’t…

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

and yet...I need more one piece...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bitmap posted:

Well I'm told it's all hidden in one place. You just have to find it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

bitmap posted:

Have you watched the Live Action yet?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

....we didn't get a chapter last week though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

....we didn't get a chapter last week though.

We... we did? We got 1091?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah immediately when I posted that I remembered the official release exists

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I also never remember to read the official release.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I never remember either but tbh at this point it’s because poo poo’s been so hype that I consistently read the fanscans at least twice.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I thought the live action made up using fish skin as a graft but apparently it's something researchers are actually looking into.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Missed opportunity to have Arlong see that and get really mad

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

Missed opportunity to have Arlong see that and get really mad
I reread the Arlong Park arc after finishing the live action show and noticed that pretty much every Strawhat has like three jokes about catching, cooking, slicing, boiling or frying a fishman. Kinda muddles the metaphor a lil! Hopefully Jimbei is never in earshot when they say these kinda things!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Void_Dot_Exe/status/1699318587255836741?s=20

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

bitmap posted:

So what your saying is you want at least several pieces?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

More like Robin's morbidly oversized bazongas.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD_sWU2zD9Y

Him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope the menus use He/Him pronouns because it’ll make some people sooooo mad

EDIT: Apparently an episode pack is confirmed but it doesn’t look like it’ll be free…

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 7, 2023

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

I reread the Arlong Park arc after finishing the live action show and noticed that pretty much every Strawhat has like three jokes about catching, cooking, slicing, boiling or frying a fishman. Kinda muddles the metaphor a lil! Hopefully Jimbei is never in earshot when they say these kinda things!!

I only remember one remark like that (from Sanji after defeating Kuroobi). And yeah, it comes across much worse in retrospect. Of course the Straw Hats at that point are hicks from East Blue who are almost certainly unaware of the history of anti-fishman discrimination...except, also in retrospect, Sanji probably isn't. This is far from the only thing in the East Blue storyline that doesn't quite fit with what we later see of the larger setting, though.

Edit: To be fair, there's a certain amount of cannibalistic metaphor built into Sanji's fighting style in general.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 7, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Silver2195 posted:

I only remember one remark like that (from Sanji after defeating Kuroobi). And yeah, it comes across much worse in retrospect. Of course the Straw Hats at that point are hicks from East Blue who are almost certainly unaware of the history of anti-fishman discrimination...except, also in retrospect, Sanji probably isn't. This is far from the only thing in the East Blue storyline that doesn't quite fit with what we later see of the larger setting, though.

also tbf those particular fishmen have done some horrible atrocities so a bit of smack talk is fine in that case

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Another example of characters coming across as racist in retrospect: why are the Red Hair Pirates the only exclusively human Emperor crew? (The literal monkey doesn't count.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sanji's a cook, he pretty much serves up all his foes on a platter as part of a meal course. Kurobi just happened to be his first meal.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Silver2195 posted:

Another example of characters coming across as racist in retrospect: why are the Red Hair Pirates the only exclusively human Emperor crew? (The literal monkey doesn't count.)

now who's being one piece racist

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Silver2195 posted:

Besides the Buggy Pirates?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

Are they? There's a whole fleet under Shanks, most of whom we haven't met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Besides the Buggy Pirates?

Buggy's group when he was a Warlord included a bunch of giants (although several of them quit to join the Straw Hat Grand Fleet, IIRC).