Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

CapnAndy posted:

The ink system has drawbacks, but the really nice thing about it is that you don't actually have to worry about that. Most of the cards are in the 1-5 range, clustering up at 3-5, and most of the bigger bombs have secondary Shift costs that drop them down to that too. The only major cost card you absolutely have to hard-cast every time is Dragon Maleficent.

Put whoever you want into your deck; if you draw them and you don't think you'll have the ink to cast them any time soon, ink the fuckers intead. No big deal.

The event happened last weekend. I went 2-1.

A lot of the higher costed cards aren't inkable, like the 7 floodborn Aladdin. The player I lost to was extremely into the game, already had a constructed deck, and flooded the board with 1~2 ink creatures that quested for 2 lore. I couldn't catch up. My deck did fine against other players, stuffed it with a lot of evasive and kept the cap at 5 ink. I pulled a few rares I didn't play. The 9-ink dragon Maleficent with dragon fire tacked on wouldn't have made a difference.

It's still a little expensive to play and with retail hitting within days I didn't sign up for another $50 sealed. My other LGS is starting league play the week after, I'll probably look into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

JawnV6 posted:

The player I lost to was extremely into the game, already had a constructed deck, and flooded the board with 1~2 ink creatures that quested for 2 lore.

This is what my wife wants to play. I told her I refuse to buy Lilo at :20bux: per, she can buy them if she wants. :v:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

JawnV6 posted:

The event happened last weekend. I went 2-1.

A lot of the higher costed cards aren't inkable, like the 7 floodborn Aladdin. The player I lost to was extremely into the game, already had a constructed deck, and flooded the board with 1~2 ink creatures that quested for 2 lore. I couldn't catch up. My deck did fine against other players, stuffed it with a lot of evasive and kept the cap at 5 ink. I pulled a few rares I didn't play. The 9-ink dragon Maleficent with dragon fire tacked on wouldn't have made a difference.

It's still a little expensive to play and with retail hitting within days I didn't sign up for another $50 sealed. My other LGS is starting league play the week after, I'll probably look into that.
Heroic Outlaw is inkable, though? :confused:

That Zoo/Bodyguard build is definitely obnoxious, but it’s susceptible to Be Prepared in a big way.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

CapnAndy posted:

That Zoo/Bodyguard build is definitely obnoxious, but it’s susceptible to Be Prepared in a big way.

Or if you're playing Steel, you also have access to Grab Your Sword, which will catch a good number of those little ones.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Lorcana big box release day!

shop disney online store sold out immediately. Might try a Target today, but not expecting much.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Feeling FOMO for not being able to get Lorcana today, but it's for the best. Not being able to get more cards to do anything other than the starter deck experience would suck.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I got lucky with my Target putting stuff out early yesterday and was able to grab a trove box but yeah from what I’m seeing the scalpers are going hard today and grabbing anything they can, including starter decks. The Lorcana Twitter account even came out and said don’t pay scalpers, we’re ramping up to meet demand and chapter one is getting a reprint

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm gonna check my local Target during lunch, mostly because I can. Today's the first day in weeks that it's been good bike riding weather, so might as well get a ride in while it's nice. :shobon:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

CapnAndy posted:

Didn't have that in the sealed pool. I had single-target removal, but it didn't matter at 5.

My mistake, had to check but it was Captain Hook: Ruthless pirate. I really didn't see a point in putting 4 more cards face down to get to 9 for the Maleficient dragon, there wasn't a game where it mattered.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

coelomate posted:

Lorcana big box release day!

shop disney online store sold out immediately. Might try a Target today, but not expecting much.
Best Buy immediately moved the booster boxes from Coming Soon to Sold Out at midnight. I'm gonna check my local big boxes, but so far the big box rollout has been just as much of a shitshow as everything else so far. The madness at GenCon, if anything, undersold the demand for this game.

JawnV6 posted:

Didn't have that in the sealed pool. I had single-target removal, but it didn't matter at 5.

My mistake, had to check but it was Captain Hook: Ruthless pirate. I really didn't see a point in putting 4 more cards face down to get to 9 for the Maleficient dragon, there wasn't a game where it mattered.
She's a beefy body that comes with a free Dragon Fire on cast, she regularly trades 2 or 3 for 1. She's super worth it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
What department should I be looking for these in? Toys?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Cards are usually up by the registers but you might be able to find some in toys.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

What department should I be looking for these in? Toys?

Walmart has the cards in Toys, during the Great Card Scalp during the pandemic, they were moved to customer service. Toys r Us is usually near the checkouts, no idea about Target because :canada:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

CapnAndy posted:

She's a beefy body that comes with a free Dragon Fire on cast, she regularly trades 2 or 3 for 1. She's super worth it.
I really don't see it. A 3 for 1 trade on turn 6 wouldn't have mattered, especially if I'm blowing turn 2/3 on the Mickey Detective and One Leap Ahead that put cards from the deck into the inkwell to race to 9 without losing too many cards in hand. The one game I lost I was swarmed long before 9 ink was on the horizon, the ones I won I didn't ink beyond 5/6.

It's trade fodder more than something I can see playing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Randalor posted:

Walmart has the cards in Toys, during the Great Card Scalp during the pandemic, they were moved to customer service. Toys r Us is usually near the checkouts, no idea about Target because :canada:

At more local Walmart the cards are still at the manned counter where you cigarettes. Target usually will have them next to gift cards near the entrance or in the toys section in the Neca isle.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

I really don't see it. A 3 for 1 trade on turn 6 wouldn't have mattered, especially if I'm blowing turn 2/3 on the Mickey Detective and One Leap Ahead that put cards from the deck into the inkwell to race to 9 without losing too many cards in hand. The one game I lost I was swarmed long before 9 ink was on the horizon, the ones I won I didn't ink beyond 5/6.

It's trade fodder more than something I can see playing.
Well, yeah, in that case she's a bad fit, because she's a control card, not a tempo one. She's great because she's meant to go in a deck where you play Be Prepared to stabilize and then don't ever let your opponent get their board back.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It's a real bummer Lorcana isn't more accessible, because I'm interested in trying it out. I know they're supposed to be reprinting the set by Q1 2024, but come on.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

No joy at my local Target; it almost seemed like they didn't have shelf space allocated to it at all.

Ran into a couple of my local FFTCG group though! :haw:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

0-4 at physical stores. I can only assume they didn't get much product (I didn't see the empty shelf space/booster boxes you'd expect if it'd been picked clean), everything was released at When The Employees Told Their Buddies To Be There O'Clock, the scalpers absolutely feasted today, or some combination of the above. Fuckin' sucks.

I really hope Ravensburger is smart enough with the reprint to not indicate that the cards are from the second printing in any way. Last thing you want to do is reward the scalpers by driving the rarity of what they've got up even higher.

loving disappointment of a day, though. I'm so salty you could serve me with fried food.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 2, 2023

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

My wife was driving around trying to get the Illumineer's Trove she was out of luck at most places except for Barns and Noble where they had the gift box and a boosters. Played the game has a lot of magic but also has some nice improvements to the game. The not being able to do something during your opponents turn kind of sucks but I think they did that to make it more playable online.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Framboise posted:

It's a real bummer Lorcana isn't more accessible, because I'm interested in trying it out. I know they're supposed to be reprinting the set by Q1 2024, but come on.

Also a second wave in October according to their twitter

MuscaDomestica posted:

The not being able to do something during your opponents turn kind of sucks but I think they did that to make it more playable online.

There is also a ton of design space to add more abilities and functions like acting on opponent's turn, I can see them adding that later on as the game complexity evolves with its players.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

coelomate posted:

Lorcana is fun! I wish I could find more (reasonably priced) around me.

I feel bad for the LGSs trying to balance MSRP, sweaty nerds, market prices, etc.

I'm guessing with The Mouse behind it, the game won't stay fringe for very long. Is there already a thread dedicated to it?

I just want to try the stupid game with my Disney-obsessed 10 year old by getting 2 starters and a few boosters at MSRP and scalpers are ruining it.

The Mouse slapped down EA when they tried to Gatcha-fy a Star Wars game, so I doubt they're going to long-term let brainlets trying to turn this into the next beanie baby craze profit by kinking the hose to frustrate consumers at large, but right now it's annoying as hell. I expect they'll print to demand and scalpers who didn't have a quick turnaround will be left holding the bag, and I'm glad of it.

It's going to be like when Episode I toys came out and people thought they were going to retire on Darth Maul action figures. When everyone thinks they're leverage the Next Big Collectible, no one is.

Fortunately an FLGS near me has a demo/league night with loaner decks, so we'll at least be able to try it this week.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Here's a semi-finals match from a 45 player TTS Lorcana tournament, with commentary. If this game ever gets a proper digital FTP client I'll definitely tinker with it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

0-4 at physical stores. I can only assume they didn't get much product (I didn't see the empty shelf space/booster boxes you'd expect if it'd been picked clean), everything was released at When The Employees Told Their Buddies To Be There O'Clock, the scalpers absolutely feasted today, or some combination of the above. Fuckin' sucks.

I really hope Ravensburger is smart enough with the reprint to not indicate that the cards are from the second printing in any way. Last thing you want to do is reward the scalpers by driving the rarity of what they've got up even higher.

loving disappointment of a day, though. I'm so salty you could serve me with fried food.

Ravensburger confirmed there will be no difference between print runs in their announcement of doing more prints of the first chapter on Twitter and there’s some very mad scalpers in the replies :laffo:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

At the league event yesterday, there was one person who was saying he bought a 1st edition booster box for his friend as a wedding present because his friend collects 1st edition stuff. I didn't have the heart to tell him.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Ravensburger confirmed there will be no difference between print runs in their announcement of doing more prints of the first chapter on Twitter and there’s some very mad scalpers in the replies :laffo:
Good.

gently caress ‘em.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

CapnAndy posted:

Good.

gently caress ‘em.

Came here to say this

I refuse to pay $18 a pop for Kuzco and nobody local has him and it's because he is sitting in booster boxes in some losers basement.

A lot of modified precons in our local group are going to become full decks in a week or two when we get another 30 boxes at our LGS

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This Lorcana game sounds extremely fringe and dead. Kidding aside, does it rate its own thread are this point?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Midjack posted:

This Lorcana game sounds extremely fringe and dead. Kidding aside, does it rate its own thread are this point?

I don't mind people using this thread to talk about it, but practically speaking it probably does warrant its own thread.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
It will probably warrant its own thread once people can actually purchase a deck

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
If any goons want to trade foils, here is what I have and need

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9dELAotRcdaUENHm1Q9xSkIcKGvSyeK

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Under these circumstances I do gotta hand it Ravensburger.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

neosloth posted:

It will probably warrant its own thread once people can actually purchase a deck

That's my thought.

Every time I go and look at even the low-rarity pieces I/my wife want like Lilo or the 1-drop Maleficent my eyes bug out of their loving sockets. :20bux: per for rares? :negative:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Public service announcement: GameStop is getting their Lorcana on the 8th, but nobody knows where it's going or how much. Call any local franchises that haven't gone out of business yet on the 7th to see if they're getting any.

Midjack posted:

Yeah, it really does. I'll write one up tomorrow to kill time at work if nobody else wants it.

Also someone make up a funny joke for the thread title, I got nothin'.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

CapnAndy posted:

Public service announcement: GameStop is getting their Lorcana on the 8th, but nobody knows where it's going or how much. Call any local franchises that haven't gone out of business yet on the 7th to see if they're getting any.

Yeah, it really does. I'll write one up tomorrow to kill time at work if nobody else wants it.

Maleficent's Home For Wayward Goons: The Lorcana Thread

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

CapnAndy posted:

Lorcana: Disney's Most Advanced Wallet Removal Technology

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

nomadotto posted:

Lorcana: Disney's Most Advanced Wallet Removal Technology
No, the parks exist.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CapnAndy posted:

I'm not a big Disney fan but here's my attempts:

Lorcana: Under The CCG
Lorcana: CCG Our Guest

Or just:

Lorcana: Poor Unfortunate Souls

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Lorcana: Ink Your Posts Here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Lorcana: lol you thought this was gonna be cheaper than MTG