Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

misattributed essay authors apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has a preorder up for the 4K of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. There was an article on the restoration team and they want to do Fantasia, Alice in Wonderland, and Sleeping Beauty next. The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron are already ready to go (4K Dolby Vision on Disney+)

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has a preorder up for the 4K of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. There was an article on the restoration team and they want to do Fantasia, Alice in Wonderland, and Sleeping Beauty next. The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron are already ready to go (4K Dolby Vision on Disney+)

Lovingly scan and clean up those racist scenes and then lock them away where nobody can see them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

pwn posted:

Lovingly scan and clean up those racist scenes and then lock them away where nobody can see them.

The 2010 Blu-ray actually has extremely good repainting so that there's not actually any footage cut out. It's occasionally awkwardly framed at times, but good for them finally doing that instead of zooming, cropping, and trimming.

Besides looking more like film, I'll be happy as long as they put back Deems Taylor's voice (how hard would it be to use AI synthesis to fill in the missing dialogue?) and perhaps offer multiple sound mix options. I have a bootleg with the 4-track stereo mix from the 50s and the 40s mono mix and both sound quite good.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 5, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This is the Disney era that I've been waiting for with the 4k releases. I get why they started with Toy Story and Lion King and all that stuff but I'm really looking forward to Sword in the Stone and Sleeping Beauty.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I want Pinocchio and The Jungle Book. Those are the only two I really like of the original run. The 80’s/90’s stuff tho too please.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm pretty happy with my Beauty & The Beast Blu-Ray but i won't pretend I wouldn't be interested in it, Hercules, and Tarzan (as unlikely as that is).

Also, after seeing Bottoms in theaters, I immediately went to Blu-ray.com and signed up for physical release notifications. I'm hoping that it gets a cool Best Buy release, but I'll take anything really.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/scream_factory/status/1699102281122078864?s=46
https://twitter.com/shout_studios/status/1699085377389076630?s=46
https://twitter.com/shout_studios/status/1699106290696425564?s=46

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol the notepad is some low effort poo poo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Those first few Shout releases in November are always frustrating because I want them in October. Silver Bullet would be a perfect October movie!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of Silver Bullet, I wish I had the extra scratch to get the kickstarter backed Bernie Wrightson artist print edition of Cycle of the Werewolf that came with an actual silver bullet.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/Shout_Studios/status/1699098451068301487?s=20
https://twitter.com/Scream_Factory/status/1699090964495622278?s=20

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Kind of weird a movie like Fargo would get kicked to Shout Factory for a 4K release

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/shout_studios/status/1699164385267073321?s=46

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Took me a second to realize it was Eli Roth's Death Wish.

I mean, why?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, why?

get an over zealous rube to hit the pre-order button before realizing what they've done.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

My Sleepy Hollow steelbook just showed up and it’s the coolest one I’ve seen. The case itself incorporates a hardcover copy of the original Washington Irving story.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, why?

Isn’t it also deep aphasia Bruce?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I missed the preorder window on it[Sleepy Hollow] so I was stuck seeing what stores got copies. My hometown had a copy so I ordered it and asked my mom to go pick it up. This is the second time this has happened.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
it seems like most best buys get 2 copies of store-exclusive steels, and google says they have about 1000 stores in the US..how are boutiques getting larger print runs of things at 5,000 copies and up than a giant retailer..

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gruv.com has the preorder of Universal's third and final collection of Hitchcock UHDs:
https://www.gruv.com/product/the_alfred_hitchcock_classics_collection_4k_ultra_hd_blu_ray_uhd

Only $55, which comes out to $11 each, which is a steal. They also have individual releases available for $20 each.

Includes Rope, The Man Who Knew Too Much '56, Torn Curtain, Topaz, and Frenzy. Seems like all the DVD/Blu-ray extras are carried over, with the one new addition is a featurette on the new restoration of The Man Who Knew Too Much (which received a full-blown Vertigo sort of restoration from the VistaVision camera negative and color separations).

If you haven't picked up the other volumes, the first is only $40 (including Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho, and The Birds) and second only $50 (including Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, The Trouble with Harry, Marnie, and Family Plot).

(And if you haven't preordered from Gruv before, they're run by SDS, the joint home video distribution between Warner and Universal, and have excellent service)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

it seems like most best buys get 2 copies of store-exclusive steels, and google says they have about 1000 stores in the US..how are boutiques getting larger print runs of things at 5,000 copies and up than a giant retailer..
Sometimes it seems to work out fine, or they drop more copies later. But Sleepy Hollow has more widespread appeal than say Howard the Duck, so I didn’t want to take chances.

BB is getting an American Graffiti steelbook in November. I really hope they learned their lesson and didn’t DNR the gently caress out of it like they did the Blu-ray.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Egbert Souse posted:

Gruv.com has the preorder of Universal's third and final collection of Hitchcock UHDs:
https://www.gruv.com/product/the_alfred_hitchcock_classics_collection_4k_ultra_hd_blu_ray_uhd

(And if you haven't preordered from Gruv before, they're run by SDS, the joint home video distribution between Warner and Universal, and have excellent service)

Eh, they did poor packing the second time I bought a Hitch set from them (late 2022). First time (early 2022) was shipped in box, second was a padded envelope. Better than dealing with Amazon but that's a low bar. Hopefully they've improved.

I'll probably pick it up from someone around BF, assuming I still have any money by then.

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 6, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I ended up getting a few of the last round (birds, vertigo, etc) for 13 each from gruv during a discount, seems like these and the universal monster stuff tend to go on sale sooner than later if you're not in a rush

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I want the dumb snow globe

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Has there been any word on Ravenous getting a 4k release or should I just finally buy the blu-ray?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FrumpleOrz posted:

Has there been any word on Ravenous getting a 4k release or should I just finally buy the blu-ray?

They'll announce the 4k as soon as you buy the blu ray so just go ahead and get it over with so the rest of us can enjoy that 4k.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Basebf555 posted:

They'll announce the 4k as soon as you buy the blu ray so just go ahead and get it over with so the rest of us can enjoy that 4k.

While you're at it, get the warriors and sorcerer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Kingtheninja posted:

You have to announce your purchase in this thread or the 4k won't happen

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Kingtheninja posted:

MacheteZombie posted:

You have to announce your purchase in this thread or the 4k won't happen

I bought Sorcerer a month ago, before Friedkin passed, just because I saw the last version seemed to be out of print. When Criterion announces a version this month, you're welcome.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Any idea if this is newly remastered from the original film or if it's using the same PAL source as the last blu?

Also, God, I'd love them to re-render the effects but I know there is 0 chance of that.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I see it's just the 8 discs, I assume it's a basic multi-disc snap case? Is there much to speak of for bonus features?
14 movies for $150 is a good deal, for sure, but I don't know if I'd rather just go for smaller or more boutique collections for stuff like Hitchcock. I know there's got to be great commentary and featurettes out there.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Big Mac posted:

I see it's just the 8 discs, I assume it's a basic multi-disc snap case? Is there much to speak of for bonus features?
14 movies for $150 is a good deal, for sure, but I don't know if I'd rather just go for smaller or more boutique collections for stuff like Hitchcock. I know there's got to be great commentary and featurettes out there.

My brother have you seen what VistaVision looks like in 4K???

Also no, they use a book-like packaging with sleeves on the outside edges. One side blu-ray, the other 4k. And I think a lot do include commentaries but the only one I've listened to so far is for Vertigo.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

PriorMarcus posted:

Any idea if this is newly remastered from the original film or if it's using the same PAL source as the last blu?

Also, God, I'd love them to re-render the effects but I know there is 0 chance of that.

just snipped this from the blu-ray.com thread

so looks like upscales since they lost the original source footage.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

SeductiveReasoning posted:

My brother have you seen what VistaVision looks like in 4K???

Also no, they use a book-like packaging with sleeves on the outside edges. One side blu-ray, the other 4k. And I think a lot do include commentaries but the only one I've listened to so far is for Vertigo.

God, I totally blanked on it being 4k! This is a terribly good point and I don't think my wallet is ready

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Disney vaulted.

Yet it probably still has a better chance of a 4K being put out than a soundtrack reissue on vinyl that I've been dreaming about for a decade.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

caligulamprey posted:

Disney vaulted.

Yet it probably still has a better chance of a 4K being put out than a soundtrack reissue on vinyl that I've been dreaming about for a decade.

The director dying and disney owning it now kinda made me give up hope, but man I'd buy that day one.

fav robert carlyle by far, and tied with memento for best guy pearce

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 6, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, why?

I watched this with some friends in the past month or two, and it was pretty watchable! Well, maybe a strong word, but it's a pretty smooth ride of an entertaining dumb modern studio B-movie. Maybe we were just in the right mood. It's no Death Wish 3 of course.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Isn’t it also deep aphasia Bruce?

That movie is from 2018, he did about a zillion since then, but I'll say it's some solid Bruce. It's no Moonlighting (I marathoned that show recently - so good), but it's some Bruce. Worth a Bruce.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=33212

Well this is kinda bizarre. A Paramount horror set with Rosemary's Baby, Salem's Lot, Smile, Crawl, and a MYSTERY FILM.

It says that the mystery film is a "fan favorite" that has never had a 4k release before. Seems like we should be able to crack this one considering it has to be Paramount.

Edit: It also says the mystery film "delivers suspense and surprise". My first guess was The Sixth Sense because it's known for a twist but it's not Paramount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Paramount put fuckin Bringing Out The Dead on bluray already :argh: