Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Not sure if anyone else is reading this, but the latest chapter of Skill Thief's Canvas (Chapter 20 on the Patreon) has me extremely excited about the next chapter (or one after that, not sure when the thing in question is going to happen). I'm very curious about what actually happened between Adam and Eric (plus why Eric's in the other world in the first place). And it seems like Eric is finally going to meet with Adam.

I really hope this story manages to do well, because I really like it a lot but I'm concerned that it's not the sort of story that will draw web serial readers in. It technically takes place in "a fantasy world with a System," but it's not really a "progression novel" in the same way as most other web serials with a similar premise.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So, I read and enjoyed Worm and Pact like a decade ago, but have since stopped paying attention to Wildbow. Is any of his other stuff worth getting into? I understand Ward ended up being bad? Is Pale any good?

For reference, what I liked the most in Worm and Pact was the character arcs and the world, but really got tired of the nevetending succession of multiple chapter long fight scenes that just never seem to end. I think I straight up skipped like 40% of the Echidna arc and didn't feel like my understanding of the story was lessened at all.

What is the consensus? Would you recommend his other stuff?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Twig was cool, but eh, there's other cool stuff out there now, it's probably not worth going back. Try Katalepsis or Necroepilogos or Super Supportive.

Fox's Tongue and Kirin's Bone just updated, that one's cool too.

Nowhere Stars, maybe, if you're into broken protagonists, and on a similar note, Magical Girl Gunslinger seems to be updating again!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

My friends who are currently reading pale have told me that it's significantly better than pact, and that the long fight scene stuff isn't nearly as bad as in his other works.

I've also heard that Twig was better than Worm and Pact but haven't read that one either.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
TTOU94: Finally the murder is solved. I'm sure Sands won't be a problem locked in Hab1, just an engineer who knows the ship locked in an entire ring, able to wander around.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
SupSup 83/Patreon: I feel like people that want to see shipping are going to see a lot of it in this chapter.

So Boe seems to have had a specific reaction to finding out Alden learned magic. Interesting. And in hindsight Boe's reason for now agreeing to the contract makes a lot of sense. My guess is that the reason Boe isn't pissed off at the system for his powers has something to do with the stuff he isn't allowed to tell Alden.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Bremen posted:

SupSup 83/Patreon: I feel like people that want to see shipping are going to see a lot of it in this chapter.

So Boe seems to have had a specific reaction to finding out Alden learned magic. Interesting. And in hindsight Boe's reason for now agreeing to the contract makes a lot of sense. My guess is that the reason Boe isn't pissed off at the system for his powers has something to do with the stuff he isn't allowed to tell Alden.

I mean, being the only human wizard is a huge revelation. I took Boe's astonishment at that just as a smart and savvy guy quickly understanding just how big of a secret he got casually looped in on.

I do agree that it's secrets of chaos and authority behind uniques and that being affixed is preferable to whatever could happen if their existence didn't get stabilized.

Very emotional chapter. I fully agree that this is the kind of emotionally charged but non-romantic, non-sexual relationship that is absolute chum in the water for shippers. Power to them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wittgen posted:

I mean, being the only human wizard is a huge revelation. I took Boe's astonishment at that just as a smart and savvy guy quickly understanding just how big of a secret he got casually looped in on.

I do agree that it's secrets of chaos and authority behind uniques and that being affixed is preferable to whatever could happen if their existence didn't get stabilized.

Very emotional chapter. I fully agree that this is the kind of emotionally charged but non-romantic, non-sexual relationship that is absolute chum in the water for shippers. Power to them.

Sup Sup 83

A big call back in this chapter to what Mother said in 59:

quote:

“You can go where you wish,” she said. “My children tell me home is harder to find every time you change. But you can try.”

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Not sure if anyone else is reading this, but the latest chapter of Skill Thief's Canvas (Chapter 20 on the Patreon) has me extremely excited about the next chapter (or one after that, not sure when the thing in question is going to happen). I'm very curious about what actually happened between Adam and Eric (plus why Eric's in the other world in the first place). And it seems like Eric is finally going to meet with Adam.

I really hope this story manages to do well, because I really like it a lot but I'm concerned that it's not the sort of story that will draw web serial readers in. It technically takes place in "a fantasy world with a System," but it's not really a "progression novel" in the same way as most other web serials with a similar premise.

I just started this, and most of what I think so far is I sure hope that the shopkeeper's words to Adam in the first chapter are a deliberate reference to The Neverending Story.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
This will probably get drowned in SS chat but I found twinned destinies the other day on rising stars and burned through the available chapters.

I'm not sure how to describe why I like it but the characters feel like people. They have big strengths and big flaws and you can see how their backgrounds and upbringing make them who they are.

I also like that, despite the use of cliches, there are many directions the story can go with the setup in place. I'm curious to see the results and fallout from (current arc spoilers) the MC unwittingly working on the demon summoning meant to assassinate her brother.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kyoujin posted:

This will probably get drowned in SS chat but I found twinned destinies the other day on rising stars and burned through the available chapters.

I'm not sure how to describe why I like it but the characters feel like people. They have big strengths and big flaws and you can see how their backgrounds and upbringing make them who they are.

Well, that's nice to know. I just put it on my to-read list.

Incidentally, is it me or have the user ads on RR gotten worse lately? Since the form factor change. It seems to have encouraged the authors' worst impulses.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Incidentally, is it me or have the user ads on RR gotten worse lately? Since the form factor change. It seems to have encouraged the authors' worst impulses.

Idk what you mean, I love lovely memes that tell me nothing about the story (not even the title) and ai generated hotties that tell me even less

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

awesmoe posted:

Idk what you mean, I love lovely memes that tell me nothing about the story (not even the title) and ai generated hotties that tell me even less

apparently lovely memes actually get more clickthrough

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Oblig SupSup Patreon: I wonder if Boe got his powers during Hannah's disappearance because of how it affected Alden? An Empath likely developing when his friend is going through some stuff feels like a non-cooncidence

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

While we're recommending stuff, I've been enjoying Spire Dweller. You, see its a cultivation story, but there's also litrpg elements! Wait, where are you going I didn't finish there's also a tower they climb and

In all seriousness, it's a well executed "plucky youngster does adventure and also numbers go up" story. The cultivation and litrpg elements do what they're good at, and the tower setup is a surprisingly well done mystery-box. A solid B+.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kyoujin posted:

I also like that, despite the use of cliches, there are many directions the story can go with the setup in place. I'm curious to see the results and fallout from (current arc spoilers) the MC unwittingly working on the demon summoning meant to assassinate her brother.

Are they good people or bad people?

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

LLSix posted:

Are they good people or bad people?

The way this is hard to answer is why I like the characters. In another story, the MC could easily be a villain but I wouldn't necessarily call her a bad person despite some major flaws. I would personally consider her father a bad person although (character spoilers) he is a war hero for the empire. He also explains the reasoning for the tough love he shows his daughter: motivating a cultivation cripple, who most parents would mercy kill, pushing her to find her niche in a world where no one wants her. His emotional abuse definitely ties into the MC's biggest character flaws of being desperate for love/acceptance (plus teenage hormones) and prideful ego. The biggest villains are probably the Emperor himself and high society based on the snippets we see of how commoners are treated.

Edit: I take it back; the MC is objectively a bad person and selfish even if it's understandable due to her upbringing and ignorance. There is definitely room for character growth and could see her going either way in the future. Here is her first interaction with the common people:

Out on the street, in open view, chanting. “Now is the time, my friends! No longer shall we labor under the thumb of the nobles! No longer shall we plant the trees, while they taste the fruit! They mock us in their high castles!”

This Ruyi knew to be untrue. She rarely thought about poor people at all. It was incredible what a warped view these simpletons had. They liked to imagine nobles as these evil creatures when they’d never met one their whole lives.

Double Edit: Forgot to mention there are good people as well; her brother is a genuinely good person shackled by his cultural role and society's expectations. Their mom also seems to be a good person despite {minor spoiler) abandoning her family for 6 years to fulfill her duties to clan . Also, Ruyi (MC) redeems herself a bit and shows progress by making and donating healing elixirs for distribution to the afflicted poor. I'll shut up now.

Kyoujin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 4, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NinjaDebugger posted:

I just started this, and most of what I think so far is I sure hope that the shopkeeper's words to Adam in the first chapter are a deliberate reference to The Neverending Story.

Because I'm an idiot, I somehow only recently noticed "Vasco (Da) Gama" and now I'm wondering if I've missed other obvious references (that are probably going to actually matter somehow given we don't really know what the gently caress is even up with this "Painted World").

I was happy to see that, even if the series isn't that popular so far, its RR reviews are almost all very good. So I hope the author keeps at it and manages to pick up a big audience over time, because it's very unique and I'll be very sad if it ends prematurely.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Megazver posted:

apparently lovely memes actually get more clickthrough
I never not clicked on that one btdem ad.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Kyoujin posted:

I really liked the first few chapters, but the recent large shift had made me concerned. If the author can pull it off, it'll be great

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just read up to the current chapter of Twinned Destinies, and the only part that's a little confusing to me is how the protagonist is so successfully hiding her "demonification." Maybe the other people just have no idea what behavior is associated with being/becoming a demon? Also seems like it would be very difficult to hide the increase in strength; seems like her mom would notice when hugging her that she's now swole.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Slumrat Rising 133 oof. I think we've had a lot of things going well in Siphios and now we're starting to get a Greater Good arc of Truth doing more and more hosed up things to good people in the name of taking down Starbrite. It seems like it may almost mirror or cycle with the prologue: establish Truth's motivation in the form of relationships, then put him in morally comprising positions in order to take care of those people.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I just read up to the current chapter of Twinned Destinies, and the only part that's a little confusing to me is how the protagonist is so successfully hiding her "demonification." Maybe the other people just have no idea what behavior is associated with being/becoming a demon? Also seems like it would be very difficult to hide the increase in strength; seems like her mom would notice when hugging her that she's now swole.

I could be wrong, but the protagonist not having a great handle on her capabilities and being prone to counterproductive arrogance is a recurring theme, and textually she’s clearly not doing an amazing job of covering her tracks - I think it’s reasonable to assume that her ostensibly hyper competent mother may not be packing her sack lunches full of raw/bloody meat out of pure naïveté and there’s something else going on (especially given previous statements by her father suggesting a more nuanced view of demons exists among at least some human elites)

LGD fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 5, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Slumrat 134

Man, I love these scenes with Merkovah where he reveals all these deep truths of the world and Truth invariably goes, "Uh huh. Yeah. Neat" or when he goes on these vision trips and the entities just become DONE with his inability to play along

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Bought into the Twinned Destinies patreon and now I am sad, thanks Kyoujin :negative:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LGD posted:

I could be wrong, but the protagonist not having a great handle on her capabilities and being prone to counterproductive arrogance is a recurring theme, and textually she’s clearly not doing an amazing job of covering her tracks - I think it’s reasonable to assume that her ostensibly hyper competent mother may not be packing her sack lunches full of raw/bloody meat out of pure naïveté and there’s something else going on (especially given previous statements by her father suggesting a more nuanced view of demons exists among at least some human elites)

Yeah, I was also thinking this. If anyone would notice and choose to stay quiet about it, it'd be her mother.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Slumrat 134

Man, I love these scenes with Merkovah where he reveals all these deep truths of the world and Truth invariably goes, "Uh huh. Yeah. Neat" or when he goes on these vision trips and the entities just become DONE with his inability to play along

It's so good. :allears:

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Bought into the Twinned Destinies patreon and now I am sad, thanks Kyoujin :negative:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I also unironically like how the Twinned Destinies protagonist is kinda an annoying rear end in a top hat.

Regarding the different "factions," while the Emperor and human ruling class in general are obviously super bad (and probably the #1 villains), it seems like demons also kinda suck by virtue of being biologically inclined towards violence, with only the Demon King (who is sane and stable by virtue of his strength) keeping them in check. Maybe the protagonist will somehow help address this, since it's directly related to her own alchemical efforts to suppress the bad aspects of demonification.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SupSup 84 as expected, Boe isn't going to suddenly move to join Alden. and confirmation the Boe is at least into women and Alden is just really Ace about Natalie.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nothingtoseehere posted:

SupSup 84 as expected, Boe isn't going to suddenly move to join Alden. and confirmation the Boe is at least into women and Alden is just really Ace about Natalie.
SupSup 84
It would have been pretty funny if she'd glanced toward Alden's bedroom, noticed a boy looking at her from inside and quietly gone "ah, it makes sense now."

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

SS71 (direct quote): Alden had been concealing his true thoughts a lot lately. Sometimes out of necessity, sometimes because it was just easier not to give everyone else an opening to pry at painful things. But occasionally, some expression would cross Stuart’s face that reminded him of what the boy had looked like that day. When he was younger. When he watched his father and his sister in the snow.

“I was really scared for a long time,” Alden said eventually. “I think I still am. I need to get over it. Throwing myself at something challenging that will make me stronger might not be a perfect answer, but it seems like an answer. So I’m chasing it.”

Stuart sat there quietly, leaning back against the trunk of the tree for ages. Finally, just when Alden thought the other boy must have decided that the best answer was none at all, he said, “I wish you were my classmate at LeafSong.”

“I think that one would be too much of a challenge for me.”

“I still wish it,” said Stuart, staring up into the branches. “You never say anything that makes me hate you.”

I'm not crying you're crying.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
ss84 in all honesty the boe stuff just feels really boring right now. The stakes of that conflict just feel kind of pointless compared to the actual poo poo alden has been through. Like I get that he cares about it, but even the subtext is kind of screaming "NONE OF THIS IS ACTUALLY IMPORTANT" and instead just feels like alden going through the motions about the sort of person he used to be

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

A big flaming stink posted:

ss84 in all honesty the boe stuff just feels really boring right now. The stakes of that conflict just feel kind of pointless compared to the actual poo poo alden has been through. Like I get that he cares about it, but even the subtext is kind of screaming "NONE OF THIS IS ACTUALLY IMPORTANT" and instead just feels like alden going through the motions about the sort of person he used to be

Eh, I can't really agree. There is a lot of plot and world building stuff underneath the emotional stuff. Uniques are an important window into the deeper truths of chaos and authority. Alden recalibrating and becoming at peace with his affixation is a crucial process. I don't think it's a coincidence that he sleeps really well after emotional catharsis.

If you don't like Boe interaction, though, he's going to be gone within a week. I think it's better to have this and then get Boe's more relevant drama hanging in the background as Alden starts school for real.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Wittgen posted:

Eh, I can't really agree. There is a lot of plot and world building stuff underneath the emotional stuff. Uniques are an important window into the deeper truths of chaos and authority. Alden recalibrating and becoming at peace with his affixation is a crucial process. I don't think it's a coincidence that he sleeps really well after emotional catharsis.

If you don't like Boe interaction, though, he's going to be gone within a week. I think it's better to have this and then get Boe's more relevant drama hanging in the background as Alden starts school for real.

SS patreon, including some comments from the author: the whole thing is pointless, which is kind of the point. Sleyca explicitly said in one of the comments that shes exploring the 'refusal of the call' part of the hero's journey here. Alden is skipping out on classes for a school that doesn't want to train him for a job he doesn't want, and hes going to have an awkward time at a party when everyone will be mean to him because he's a B and a rabbit, and theres some snobby magical dynasty who think they're very important who will keep trying to lure him in and he has to fend that off, and in the mean time the god drat universe is falling apart and he's one of the very few people with the potential to do something about that. The arc (in a character progression sense, rather than the slice of life character moments stuff) is about the contrast between what he wants to be right now, and what (or who) he will become.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I'm not usually a fan of slice of life since it can feel slow and aimless but I'm really enjoying these chapters of Super Supportive. Somehow, reading about Alden healing and adjusting to his new life while making friends is really gripping. Everyone getting excited about (SS Public) perfect and indestructible ice cream was great.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Congrats Sleyca

On to the Patreon update, (SupSup 84) I will agree that I'm not too interested in the Boe arc, beyond the vague worry they're going to get caught and Alden will be in trouble for it, but that's fine. I'm really enjoying the school intro and really only find the current chapter less interesting because it's taking time away from that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SS 84 I like the Boe stuff because I'm happy Alden gets to be with his friend again, and I like Boe (and I'm still relieved the plot didn't do something lame like making Boe a villain).

Boe also serves the role of "another person who is aware of some of Alden's secrets."

It seems like Boe is going to need to come forward at some point, since the current situation won't be sustainable once Alden has to move into the dorms. And Boe being sent back to Chicago also wouldn't work, because he'd get caught at some point due to popping up naked next to the cat when someone who isnt Jeremy is around (he's lucky this didn't already happen).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bremen posted:

Congrats Sleyca

how on earth is the perfect run third I hate everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

how on earth is the perfect run third I hate everything

are these in any order? supsups numbers are all lower than the one after it