Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Why do people say the game gets better after 13 hours. Do you unlock something at that point. What's the deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

do I need to use missiles or can I just load my ship with 19 cannons

The maximum power drain you can have for one system is 12. So usually no more than 3-4 of a given weapon.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Impermanent posted:

Why do people say the game gets better after 13 hours. Do you unlock something at that point. What's the deal

More planets to visit, more storylines to play out, more skills that open up more activities within the game.

I just finished an infiltration questline that was really satisfying, and just started it at around 50 hours played. I'm at 60 hours played now. Doing all the major side questlines is worth doing and they are several hours each. I just got 250,000 credits from one questline.

The game could just not be for you which is fine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

The maximum power drain you can have for one system is 12. So usually no more than 3-4 of a given weapon.

that's coward talk

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I played through the "Into the Unknown" quest and unlocked the first power without wandering off into the weeds too much.

Am I good to go gently caress around and do whatever now or is there some other major subsystem or thing that I should do the main story more to unlock?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

How the hell do I raise/lower buildings when building outposts? I'm trying to build the large ship pad with ship services, but it's like 3 stories tall.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

that's coward talk

Literally, it won't let you build a ship with more than 12 power drain for a weapon type.

Nitpicking question about Vanguard questline
Terrormorphs are endemic to Jemison aren't they? Like every other long-settled world. So shouldn't they have defences in-place against something like the spaceport attack?

Floppychop posted:

How the hell do I raise/lower buildings when building outposts? I'm trying to build the large ship pad with ship services, but it's like 3 stories tall.

It has stairs on one side. Make sure you rotate it correctly so it's pointing towards the main part of your outpost.

Scoss posted:

I played through the "Into the Unknown" quest and unlocked the first power without wandering off into the weeds too much.

Am I good to go gently caress around and do whatever now or is there some other major subsystem or thing that I should do the main story more to unlock?
Collecting more artifacts makes more temples available.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

It has stairs on one side. Make sure you rotate it correctly so it's pointing towards the main part of your outpost.

I'm aware, but going up 3 flights of stairs to get to my ship isn't ideal.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

FeculentWizardTits posted:

Bad CEO: "Ha ha ha, I have you over a barrel now, my lifelong nemesis!"
Good CEO: "Wait, don't you think it'd be better if we worked together in some unspecified way?"
Bad CEO: "Ha ha, yes! I am starting to see the benefits! You may go."

I just did this mission and I honestly thought I'd skipped something by accident or it had bugged out. I fully thought that Good CEO had managed to convince Bad CEO there was a theoretical possibility of a peaceful outcome and that it was now going to be time to actually do Persuades or pay a bribe or something to actually bring that about. But uh... nope. :v:

Impermanent posted:

It's an exaggerated number, but basically once the game lets you loose without forcing a companion or path on you, it starts getting a lot better in a hurry. You get access to side quests and faction questlines (Many of which are much better than the MQ), and you can go do whatever stuff actually appeals to you most, be that building a cool spaceship or bounty hunting or scanning alien lifeforms or whatever,

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

More planets to visit, more storylines to play out, more skills that open up more activities within the game.

I just finished an infiltration questline that was really satisfying, and just started it at around 50 hours played. I'm at 60 hours played now. Doing all the major side questlines is worth doing and they are several hours each. I just got 250,000 credits from one questline.

The game could just not be for you which is fine.

I haven't played it yet I'm just figuring out how much time I need to set aside for it. The complaints seem to be "it's a Bethesda game" which is fine w/ me. I almost never r finjsh them. I just immediately gently caress off to side quest across the world. Do you need to do the msq for the side quests to open up

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Is there a ModOrganizer type tool for Starfield yet? For Skyrim, the original ModOrganizer was great, but now there's like ModOrganizer2 but it handled files in a different way and not as good?

I presume there's already an Unofficial Patch that fixes stuff Bethesda forgets to.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Am I missing something about these guys that makes them so tough compared to everything else?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OGS-Remix posted:

I presume there's already an Unofficial Patch that fixes stuff Bethesda forgets to.

Mods are very weak at the moment, mostly changing specific hidding settings or replacing a texture. They can't get deep enough into the guts to fix bugs yet.
Give it a couple of weeks.

Rinkles posted:

Am I missing something about these guys that makes them so tough compared to everything else?

I think it's just a game thing. It's a 'run' and you're meant to be evading them not slowly marching up the hill on a tide of blood.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I've come to the conclusion that workshop modules are a trap because you can use any workbench and it'll pull materials from your cargo hold regardless of how far away it is, so you might as well skip the headache of the weird interior door layouts. It's not like you'll be modifying your gear all that often anyways and you can fast travel to the Lodge or wherever super quick.

Haven't figured out if the Armory module is worth it yet because swapping guns can be something done frequently (like pulling out your spacer gun for boarding actions). Still trying to decide how many crew and passenger slots I want. Don't know if I should be happy or sad that extra mechanics like shipboard hydroponics don't exist or I'd have to decide if I want those too.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Impermanent posted:

I haven't played it yet I'm just figuring out how much time I need to set aside for it. The complaints seem to be "it's a Bethesda game" which is fine w/ me. I almost never r finjsh them. I just immediately gently caress off to side quest across the world. Do you need to do the msq for the side quests to open up

I don't think so. You just need to talk to specific people, but there might be quest orders for some stuff, and you can't talk to some people until you do other stuff. I've only done a bit of the main quest. Basically Sam and his stuff is where I stopped and started doing a lot of side stuff.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

My best decision was making my character a sad old man who is always barefoot in his long johns, wandering everywhere like a violent Alzheimer's patient, not paying attention to what anyone says.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I think it's just a game thing. It's a 'run' and you're meant to be evading them not slowly marching up the hill on a tide of blood.

makes sense, though i haven't done a run yet, just been exploring the planet.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

dang, space sure is grey

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Schwawa posted:

has anyone made a mod to skip the absurdly long animation for getting into and out of the pilot's seat yet? I had a quick look on nexus but couldn't see anything.

I busted out the stopwatch and it is literally over 9 seconds long. Insane.

Lol I've done that when trying to respond to hails and also I'm combat. Once I finally got back in the seat only for the ship to immediately explode because I'd just been taking hits for all that time

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Impermanent posted:

By then you are probably past the intro quest bullshit and have either upgraded or replaced the hot garbage starter ship and are free to gently caress about to your hearts content. It took me about that long on my first go round because I wasn’t familiar with all the systems. Subsequent play? About two hours.

Note I abandoned my previous game because I didn’t like some decisions I had made in retrospect.

So far the best quest in the game is the UC/pirates storyline.

For Clam Down: all particle beams all the time. I’m running just 3 on a class B and it’s shredding pirates in systems 25+ levels above me. I’m about to upgrade to four and really put the fear of The Mantis into them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

For Clam Down: all particle beams all the time. I’m running just 3 on a class B and it’s shredding pirates in systems 25+ levels above me. I’m about to upgrade to four and really put the fear of The Mantis into them.

Use the Vanguard particle beams and you can have six.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does the game ever teach you about ship classes?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

hawowanlawow posted:

dang, space sure is gay

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

dang, space sure is grey

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Floor is lava posted:

i guessed the terrormorph origin very early on and i hate that i was right

:negative:

i would have prefered that they were another negative affect of grav drives attracting multidimensional aliens similar to the dragonstarborn

This one is absolutely hilarious to me since even without having finished that Questline, it was so incredibly obvious where they come from. It's another part of the horrible writing pile, of which there are so many. Your character is continously the smartest person in the entire universe and you can never show it at any time.

So many times the solution to something is obvious the minute you're introduced to it, but you can never mention it.

Like andreja: "Player character, I have to admit something about my origin. This will shock you, I'm sorry I had to keep it a secret. I'm from house varuun.

I was doing a mental blank stare at that point, was that in any way supposed to be a secret and not obvious after 5 minutes of talking to you? Hell, you're the only one dressed like them! And then one of your character answer options is "I guess I got to shoot you now" like dude come on, we're not even enemies with that faction in any way! Why!?

Or the villain in the rangers questline. you're telling me the only person of power outside of pirates and your own faction is the bad guy? A storyline that has been done in every second bonanza episode that I watched as a kid? say it ain't so! and its revealed in an almost comedic "you wanna know the truth? You can't handle the truth! Last chance to walk away before I blow your mind! It was *insert only possible option*.

At this point I'm treating the writing like a feature, not a bug, because it's like if a russian pokemon romhacker from 2005 got access to a game studio. It's so bad. Or the persuasion skill. "i can be so annoying, just give me the key to the safe" "hm okay I see you'll not let it go. Have the key to the safe".

People saying there's no comedy in the game need to reconcider, the entire writing is a big parody of video game writing, like a "do not do this" at devry.

(Despite all of this I'm loving the package this game brings, best use of game pass in recent memory, don't regret spending 20 bux to play early at all either. But come on, please hire a single competent writer. People are saying it was written by chat gpt. Frankly, that would have been an improvement)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I did it. I added poo poo to the Frontier.

All it took was one little task from the Mission Board to deliver some poo poo to the conveniently located planet where Red Mile is at. And now I got an All-in-One, Science Lab, Workshop Lab, Captains Quarters, two shielded cargo holds, a jammer, two extra engines, and a beefier grav drive to push this poo poo through.

Total cost: 38kish.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

widespread posted:

How hard does it fall after the intro to that by the way? Been meaning to try it and do their version of space drugs per one of the designer's requests see if it's any good.

I never made it anywhere, I couldn't handle the 'haha boy capitalism sure is horrible amirite!?'

Like yeah, I don't need that in my games I play to escape capitalism sure is horrible

waves at United Colonies

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Does the game ever teach you about ship classes?

there's a whole rear end Help menu on the esc screen that covers this and many other useful details, like holding RMB/RT to mine! and a lot of other things

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

My dude you are using a mining laser be real

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

victrix posted:

there's a whole rear end Help menu on the esc screen that covers this and many other useful details, like holding RMB/RT to mine! and a lot of other things

When I looked through that I don’t think it explained whether you can change a ship’s class, or how to do so.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

victrix posted:

I never made it anywhere, I couldn't handle the 'haha boy capitalism sure is horrible amirite!?'

Like yeah, I don't need that in my games I play to escape capitalism sure is horrible

waves at United Colonies

Oh. Aw. :sigh: Any mods for Outer Worlds yet or does it kinda need the story beats?

Magmarashi posted:

My dude you are using a mining laser be real

I mean, said laser is lighting the dude on fire so :shrug:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rinkles posted:

When I looked through that I don’t think it explained whether you can change a ship’s class, or how to do so.

I vaguely remember reading 'changing reactor type changes ship class', but maybe that was just inferring that from the requirement in the ship builder, I can't remember :v:

widespread posted:

Oh. Aw. :sigh: Any mods for Outer Worlds yet or does it kinda need the story beats?

No clue, my understanding is it's... not shallow exactly, but a fairly short game (which isn't bad!). If it vibes for you it's probably a fun time.

I think I was just doubly repulsed both because the subject matter, and coming from the New Vegas pedigree, I was expecting a lot more from them writing wise.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

enemies in the first outpost have something like 50 DR and you still deal 4 damage on a 4 damage weapon, if it used fallout 4's formula you'd be dealing 0-1

it's probably closer to skyrim's where the protection is linear and you only get real protection after like 200-300 armor rating

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does anyone know what the Shock Charge Bands muzzle mod do? There isn't any listed energy damage like there is with Whiteout Rounds, and when shooting enemies I don't see an electricity effect. (Some kind of greenish poison effect, but that might be from the Depleted Uranium).

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 7, 2023

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Impermanent posted:

I just got the powers and I've probably been playing for 40 or 50 hours. I don't even understand what their point is and I've been fine without them so I could've gone another fifty really it was just chance. So yeah you don't have to do that poo poo until forever really. Only thing requiring it is the main questline and finishing the game I assume

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I see people keep mentioning the Vanguard particle beam. Which one exactly is it?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Floppychop posted:

I see people keep mentioning the Vanguard particle beam. Which one exactly is it?

Probably the Vanguard Ares Particle Cannon.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
This game is pretty good. Not great. But pretty good, right now, for the time being.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Update on my magnum opus:

Filled in frame with structural elements. Shifted around habs so that there are no unwanted ladders.

To do: finalize look of ship rear and upgrade remaining components. Do something with the centerline ridge, it just looks off. Fine-tune color scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
My left thumb hurts from holding down the stick. Why the hell did they put so much useless empty space in between the interesting parts? Some one needs to be fired. Having fun otherwise though.