Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Alternatively,

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

aniviron posted:

That's a good idea. Along with the cheeky loft space which isn't really counted as usable internal house volume for government reasons, you can add an extra thirteen basement levels which they also don't need to know about. You've already got most of the work done, just fill out the spaces between the pilings! As an added bonus it's guaranteed to be airtight and won't add much to the heating bill.

Like the Colin Furze secret tunnel that he needed to get after-the-fact council permission for, including having plans drawn up.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

idhrendur posted:

Like the Colin Furze secret tunnel that he needed to get after-the-fact council permission for, including having plans drawn up.

I was about to bring up Furze and then deleted my post for being unfunny. Furze dug his L shaped tunnel really fast. Maybe he could help OP with his home.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

idhrendur posted:

MetaJew posted:

I was about to bring up Furze and then deleted my post for being unfunny. Furze dug his L shaped tunnel really fast. Maybe he could help OP with his home.

OP needs to make his L shaped house a right triangle by making a secret tunnel the hypotenuse!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Some Guy From NY posted:

OP needs to make his L shaped house a right triangle by making a secret tunnel the hypotenuse!

Make it a Penrose triangle to confuse the plasterers even more

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Needs more floor grates and strobing red lights

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
That could make a decent bowling alley

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Wifi Toilet posted:

Needs more floor grates and strobing red lights

Like the Cylons, OP doesn't have a plan

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
eurgh. I'm going to really disappoint you, and more importantly me, with the loft.

Anyway two more pallets of KD2!

Same driver as last time. Hes proper... ah I dunno... nice guy but not great at communication. Hes happy enough now hes been here twice. Walks on site and just says "tractor" to first person he sees. Even the plasterers are taken aback.

sorted.

Reason they had to find me I was up in loft

Like I'v installed these before... pretty easy. But Now I've watched robin clevett skill builder I've bought 100quid's worth of special caberforce glue that as far as I'm concerned exists only to terrify anyone foolish enough to try and do something themselves.

Its like some kinf of nuclear glue (d4) that foams up like a poorly looked after dangerous animal almost immediatedy.

Its fine when things work. But get something that doesnt fancy it and... aaaaargh oh no

So i gently caress this up and then need to try and clean up my foamy mess whilst still desperately trying to get my male to female joints shoved in properly.

I fail and run out of glue anyway so spend an evening chiselling out my gunk

Plasterers, blissfully unaware, are cracking on. This doesnt look that great but in person looks really good. dunno

like in person it looks great. Maybe its just the drying out looking a bit off

Like its been a whole week of work and theres a bunch getting done. can't remember what I've shown

So I've started to put covers into the sockets and stuff as discussed. Took like 5 mins. Wish I'd done it for the previous work

lol climbed out of loft the other day, trying to carry too much. Dropped everything. loving classic.

loving hole cutter falls perfectly on extension lead wire, severing it in a lovely little firework. ffs. tripped power. I fix it but its literally the morning of the day the electrician comes back

Anyway. Sexy as gently caress consumer unit in!

Doing loft stufff

was almost sick getting in to this stupid unnecesary air tighness

Bought rockwool as gently caress this fibreglass poo poo

Oh and also had a delivery that has launched a thousand questions that I need to figure out lol.

lol all happengin

This is mostly a big cool progressive post with loads of work done. I've like sat down and just heard work going on around me. I dunno why I didn't think about this before, but should have got some other lads on site to get things moving earlier.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Because every other time you've gotten lads on site they haven't listened and tried to bodge it?

Grats on the progress though, must feel good.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

loving hole cutter falls perfectly on extension lead wire, severing it in a lovely little firework. ffs. tripped power. I fix it but its literally the morning of the day the electrician comes back

Looks good! Really seems like it's at that point where it's starting to pick up pace rapidly. Literally lol'd when I saw the hole saw on the cord.

If you have this stuff in your area, I recommend an olfa blade instead of that folding thing you're using:

Any blade for these works:

These let you get the blade way out and you can get it very flush with whatever you're trying to cut/scrape there. they're also super quick and cheap to change blades. I've had the same one for almost 20 years and I use it on tons of projects.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

That is one sexy consumer unit, but you have three phase so guessing it would be like that

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Polyurethane wood adhesives are a foamy mess at the best of times yes. Don't like them for woodworking, but have no experience with using them for gluing down particle board (or whatever that stuff is) sub-flooring.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

These let you get the blade way out and you can get it very flush with whatever you're trying to cut/scrape there. they're also super quick and cheap to change blades. I've had the same one for almost 20 years and I use it on tons of projects.

Agree with this, buy the 50 pack of blades, then you'll be set for life and not be stingy about snapping off to a new section of blade.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Agree with this, buy the 50 pack of blades, then you'll be set for life and not be stingy about snapping off to a new section of blade.

Do this. When you snap a blade by accident and go into your little blade holder and only find snapped off blades it is quite frustrating.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just Winging It posted:

Polyurethane wood adhesives are a foamy mess at the best of times yes. Don't like them for woodworking, but have no experience with using them for gluing down particle board (or whatever that stuff is) sub-flooring.

Yeah so I had to use it when putting down the caberdeck on the workshop. The “D4” they sell is afaict just Polyurethane in squeeze bottles that suck because they require way too much force to squeeze and once opened are quick to cure the entire bottle.

99 if it’s not too late, you can get the same stuff from other brands in gun tube format from the usual places. A hundred times easier to apply and lasts longer (and cheaper!).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

99 if it’s not too late, you can get the same stuff from other brands in gun tube format from the usual places. A hundred times easier to apply and lasts longer (and cheaper!).

Nah, Ive done it all now. 100% agree the bottles are not the right applicators, a right pain.

I get the impression you only really need the Polyurethane glue if you want it to do some water tightness? I dunno anyway done.

Not a real update as knackered today and... heat so did gently caress all.

But i notice the plasterer has left his robot legs so I might have a go on them tomorrow.

The other day they checked with me that I locked up and everything was secure so they could leave poo poo at site. I confirmed I did and it was. Next day they had a bit of a word with me to say that really I needed to be leaving the windows open to let the moisture out of the building. Lol ok.

If only I had a way to lock the house up securely and still circulate air through the individual rooms and out of the house....

Oh hello MVHR system. So I've turned that on

Its loving noisy. But I think thats just cos I've cranked it up to full blast which it will never actually need to do.

So just so theres a picture

not actually up to date as I've done a bit more this afternoon, but not much. Used some leftover ham soakaway membrane to hold the fibreglass up in the ceiling whilst I fit the board.

Does give me an opportunity to bitch about builders merchants again. Jewsons was open this morning so did two trips to get in all those rockwool insulation batts needed for the little vertical stub walls.

So wickes, a high street (?) DIY store sell them for roughly 10quid a square meter. a pack does 2.88msq. so like 30 quid or something.

But they ddint have any locally. Builders merchant has them for 90 quid. w t a f ?

So i rang and said thats ridiculous. lady tapped away for a minute and then said ok on your trade account 25 quid.

w t a f !

It riles me up so bad cos I'm sure theres situations where I've been lazy and just bought from them and not interrogated the price. so how badly have I been screwed over? And never mind me, anyone else just going in unknowingly assuming yeah ok maybe not the best price but whatever... and getting charged 4X the going rate?!?!?

I lust don't know how these people live with themselves. And you know a lot of that is people paying a tradesperson to do a job in their home and just going whatever paying the bill and the tradesperson has just lazily paid whatever at the builders merchant for it cos they know theyre passing on the bill.

Just... gently caress

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So i rang and said thats ridiculous. lady tapped away for a minute and then said ok on your trade account 25 quid.

w t a f !

It riles me up so bad cos I'm sure theres situations where I've been lazy and just bought from them and not interrogated the price. so how badly have I been screwed over? And never mind me, anyone else just going in unknowingly assuming yeah ok maybe not the best price but whatever... and getting charged 4X the going rate?!?!?

I lust don't know how these people live with themselves. And you know a lot of that is people paying a tradesperson to do a job in their home and just going whatever paying the bill and the tradesperson has just lazily paid whatever at the builders merchant for it cos they know theyre passing on the bill.

Just... gently caress

This is an allegory for the American healthcare system, in which you are playing the role of an insurance company making the call and they are the finance dept of the hospital.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

With the cladding here need to have an eye on that as, whilst I know we're in a heatwave right now, within a couple of days its bound to be heavy rains and wintery conditions.

Need to figure out how to batten out the outer blockwork walls such that I can hang all that cladding off it.

Plan is, unfortunately, pre drill all the battens and put rawlplugs in before screwing into those. Then nail the cladding on to battens. Thought I was going to have to handnail from nerds on the internet but some of the cool internet nerds seem fine with using nailgun so I'll do that. Already got nails, like 5000, they are galvanised so probably ok? But maybe need stainless?

Straightaway blow out a block

So adjustment to plan. At edges, either double up the battens or get some double wide timber. At building corners where the battens are needed to support corner finishing timbers. But also at windows and doors with similiar but different finishing timbers.

Needs more research, which lol, maybe I should have been doing before the actual cladding turned up but now need to focus on work that progresses plasterers.

loft

lots of sockets and stuff up there

watched a youtube. You score a spare piece of board against the metal backboxes to dust them, then present up your cut to size boards and give them a few wallops to mark on them where to multifunction tool out the holes

seems to work

and making progress

which is good cos the plasterers who number anywhere between 2 and 7 on any given day are smashing it

a record 4 vans at one point!

Fitting access hatches where necessary in the loft to access all the various stuff. I've got some regrets here.

Also havent stumped up for the nice plastereable hatches as they were expensive in the custom sizes I would need. found some discount end of line metal door ones.

eh...

they'll also need some readjusting stuff to make it all actually accessible.

still a bit to go in here... but it'll work

Finished off the bulkhead between warm loft and cold loft as best I can

views down the access service toblerones

looking forward to crawling down there if something doesnt work

bit more airtight poo poo on veluxes

then plasterboard out, scrappily

my new socket cover things seemingly holding out well

ah, that was only one coat, two coats (of... 4?) and starting to get a bit buried lol

at least the wires will still be pretty colours underneath

loft is getting there, will be ready for them before they finish downstairs.

which I almost wish they wouldn't. Quite like these arty shots. Very architect's digest shadow studies

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
I like the transition the last few weeks from CIA Black Site to eastern European vacationing home, that wen’t bankrupt in the finishing stages.

Seriously though it actually starts to look very nice(especially for someone like me, who knows nothing about building houses)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

my man lookin SCP'd to the max!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Love the big pink L in the middle of this shot. All hail the L.

Plastering is really magical for making a place seem like an actual house

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, between the plastering and the cladding it's going to look really houselike.

Agreed that the plastering is really pretty, light comes in really nicely.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

It is looking a bit more like a house than a building site now. What’s the plan around that longer hallway for decoration?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Hi I'm a plasterer and I want more of that expensive, hard to get SBR for pre applying to the walls.

Ok great when are you telling me this?

Now, this morning, as I stand here with my dry paintbrush.

Ok I'll drive into town specially and buy 5 X 5 litres for 5 times the price of the 25litres I can get online. Thanks.

Starbucks posted:

It is looking a bit more like a house than a building site now. What’s the plan around that longer hallway for decoration?

Paint everything white and make the multicoloured led strips do funky things.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Fitting access hatches where necessary in the loft to access all the various stuff. I've got some regrets here.

Towards L shape architecture: I've got some regrets here

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nova69 posted:

Towards L shape architecture: I've got some regrets here

Just the entirety of "My Way" as a thread title

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Yeah light colours, maybe some mirrors, funky LED sounds cool

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Starbucks posted:

Yeah light colours, maybe some mirrors, funky LED sounds cool

Big twist that 99 was building a house club in central Europe all along

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Paint everything white and make the multicoloured led strips do funky things.

Just like the original Star Trek.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

With the cladding here need to have an eye on that as, whilst I know we're in a heatwave right now, within a couple of days its bound to be heavy rains and wintery conditions.

Need to figure out how to batten out the outer blockwork walls such that I can hang all that cladding off it.

Straightaway blow out a block

Yeah, can't say I would have recommended trying to drill and place plugs like 1mm from the edge of the block. And I'm not even a blockman.
Does give you a nice view of the aerated bubbly interior of the block. Very aero bar.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I've had candy bars that looked just like that when you bit into them. Probably more structurally sound than these blocks though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’ve been meaning to ask, what’s the airflow plan for the internal doors? Given all the effort you’re going to in order to hermetically separate them I assume you’re not going for the normal 10mm airflow gap below them. Rising butt hinges?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Should just attach the sidings between the foundations and the roof. Those seem to be the solid parts of the build.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’ve been meaning to ask, what’s the airflow plan for the internal doors? Given all the effort you’re going to in order to hermetically separate them I assume you’re not going for the normal 10mm airflow gap below them. Rising butt hinges?

Put a rubber flap on the bottom of the doors

bred
Oct 24, 2008
In school, the next door dept was the civil engineers. Every year they'd develop a canoe made of concrete and take it to Vegas for various competitions. One day they had a table set up to show off a concrete block floating in a 5 gallon bucket. At the time I didn't understand why anyone would want that. Ships made of steel are floating right now and a block of steel would sink in a bucket. Now I understand it is the circus so they can sell us less for more.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Concrete canoe competition rules.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

Interesting hadn't really heard of those. But no, from reading up on them they look not ideal for this use case.

You can get drop down air tight seals. They're more marketed for fire and acoustic stuff I guess, but achieve the same end result. So you rout out a like 20mm channel in the bottom of the door that it fits in. Theres a button that presses up against the inside corner of the frame as the door closes that launches the spring loaded drop down seal. Its pretty star trekky.

Theyre probably twice the loving price of the doors themselves.

Also because I have MVHR, in theory building regs are stricter on the gaps under internal doors. As in they make me have larger gaps to ensure the air flow between rooms that would be necessary if you were only extracting from moist areas. So I dunno I'll need to explain to them I'm too advanced for their "regulations" or just comply and hope I can get really droppy drop down seals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Why do you need seals between rooms in your house? Is this thing taking off to space at some point?