Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
The Ishy frame skips looked intentional, but the Egwene one looked like a fuckup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Very good episode. Might have been the best one in the series so far. Lanfear is so good in the role, and what they're doing with her in adaptation works perfectly.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I liked the episode, but I don't know how big a fan I am of Min knowingly working for Ishy. I understand why, dudes incredibly powerful and a legendary villain, I'd poo poo myself and do what he said too. That whole bit is part of a larger change from the books, Min didn't really like seeing things but she'd come to accept it. And her Aunt's weren't such douchebags. I see why they changed it but it's a really big change that I want to see where they go with it.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
That Egwene double take caught me way off guard but I had smoked quite a bit while watching so wasn’t sure. At least I’m not taking crazy pills.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hexel posted:

I wonder if the durability or speedy resurrection of the Chosen means we'll get seeing balefire soon :getin:

doesn't nynaeve or one of the other girls use it when they get ambushed/captured on the road that one time (then saved by aviendha and her crew)

i feel like we're do for a "holy poo poo what did i just do?" use of balefire sooner than later

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

eke out posted:

doesn't nynaeve or one of the other girls use it when they get ambushed/captured on the road that one time (then saved by aviendha and her crew)

i feel like we're do for a "holy poo poo what did i just do?" use of balefire sooner than later

And nynaeve really is the right character for it

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I thought the Hopper scene was really well done.

It made me so happy, then I got a little misty-eyed because, well, it's Hopper.

My wife twigged that Selene was some kind of evil from the beginning, but she thinks the guy she keeps talking about being in love with is Ishamael...that's going to be a fun reveal.

seaborgium posted:

I liked the episode, but I don't know how big a fan I am of Min knowingly working for Ishy. I understand why, dudes incredibly powerful and a legendary villain, I'd poo poo myself and do what he said too. That whole bit is part of a larger change from the books, Min didn't really like seeing things but she'd come to accept it. And her Aunt's weren't such douchebags. I see why they changed it but it's a really big change that I want to see where they go with it.

One minor gripe I have is their need to give everyone a tragic backstory. Mat's parents being the one I can't forgive. I'm interested in seeing where Min's story goes, and it's kind of exciting getting to re-experience the story and not know what's going to happen next.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 8, 2023

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

seaborgium posted:

Yeah it feels very weird, particularly with how fast she changed her mind during that conversation. Honestly it just feels more like they needed to get her (and Mat) in Falme and worked backwards from there so I am willing to roll with it. In Min's defense though man it would loving suck to see people's futures during a climate induced mass starvation event + actual factual apocalypse. I'd want to ditch that power too.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i can imagine them going in an okay direction with Min. like, she thought she was working for a Red, even if Liandrin is a very mean and nasty lady, there is zero chance she ever believed she was working for the Shadow here -- the Black Ajah doesn't exist, after all.

only when Ishamael showed up in her dreams did she learn, she immediately said gently caress no i won't do it, and he told her she basically has no choice -- i see that as more "i can't get out of this awful situation i am now trapped in by a demigod-level magic user" than anything else

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 8, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Devorum posted:

My wife twigged that Selene was some kind of evil from the beginning, but she thinks the guy she keeps talking about being in love with is Ishamael...that's going to be a fun reveal.

One minor gripe I have is their need to give everyone a tragic backstory. Mat's parents being the one I can't forgive. I'm interested in seeing where Min's story goes, and it's kind of exciting getting to re-experience the story and not know what's going to happen next.

I'm still disappointed Rafe ignored my "Luca for Hopper" petition :(

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Devorum posted:

One minor gripe I have is their need to give everyone a tragic backstory. Mat's parents being the one I can't forgive.

I think the Cauthons have been merged into the Coplins/Congars. I can see why they did that. Already a lot of characters and families to keep track of.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I’m trying to figure out how old they intend Moiraine to be because it’s definitely a change from the books where she can’t have been more than 40 (2-3 years training in the tower, 18ish years hunting for the Dragon). Her little sister had to be at least 60-70, so she’s clearly been Aes Sedai a lot longer OR spent a lot longer as a novice/accepted.

It seems to be a running theme that EVERYONE is older than the books, and the Aes Sedai by a relatively greater magnitude.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Devorum posted:

Ohh...that's a good guess based on what the show has shown.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

pik_d posted:

The Ishy frame skips looked intentional, but the Egwene one looked like a fuckup
Where was there an Egwene frame skip?

cailleask posted:

I’m trying to figure out how old they intend Moiraine to be because it’s definitely a change from the books where she can’t have been more than 40 (2-3 years training in the tower, 18ish years hunting for the Dragon). Her little sister had to be at least 60-70, so she’s clearly been Aes Sedai a lot longer OR spent a lot longer as a novice/accepted.
You‘ve explained a lot more clearly why I feel the same. Moiraine cant have been merely an Accepted during the Aiel War.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

DTurtle posted:

Where was there an Egwene frame skip?

I think she was having a conversation with Nynaeve, it showed Egwene for a second, cut back to Nynaeve, then back to what appeared to be the same second of Egwene

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I didn't see this Egwene frame skip but I've seen it mentioned elsewhere.

Another really cool bit I didn't notice on first watch is in the beginning when Ishy is going to Lanfear's seal and he pauses and looks up, he's standing amongst the ruins of skyscrapers.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Yeah the Egwene thing isn't a frame skip, it's a repeat of like 0.25 of a second when she's talking to Nynaeve

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I wonder how many of the 1000 notes per episode are "make sure Alanna has dialogue about all the DP deep dicking she gets every night from her two Warders, it's crucial to the story we're trying to tell".

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
That scene with Perrin and Hopper was incredible.

And the chemistry between Rand and Selene is just perfect.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 8, 2023

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ragnarokette posted:

Yeah it feels very weird, particularly with how fast she changed her mind during that conversation. Honestly it just feels more like they needed to get her (and Mat) in Falme and worked backwards from there so I am willing to roll with it. In Min's defense though man it would loving suck to see people's futures during a climate induced mass starvation event + actual factual apocalypse. I'd want to ditch that power too.

Yeah, it's not terrible and I want to see where i's going, but I'm just not a fan of that particular change.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I wonder how many of the 1000 notes per episode are "make sure Alanna has dialogue about all the DP deep dicking she gets every night from her two Warders, it's crucial to the story we're trying to tell".

Seriously, the joke about where Lan was going to go was I thought a bit much.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I think it’s a funny running joke :shrug:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

seaborgium posted:

Yeah, it's not terrible and I want to see where i's going, but I'm just not a fan of that particular change.

I like it. Min in the books was a snarky fun character and all, but now she seems a lot more like a person as opposed to a Main Character's Loyal (girl)Friend trope.

Devorum posted:

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Yeah, Min was very underused in the books and I'm glad the show is doing better by her. Way, way, way too much Min-in-a-dress and if that's all gone so much for the better.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

I like it. Min in the books was a snarky fun character and all, but now she seems a lot more like a person as opposed to a Main Character's Loyal (girl)Friend trope.

Why is that actually a better name than Hopper holy poo poo.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I like the wolves cause I like wolves and while I get why they're portraying the wolf sending the way they are it does mean that one of the best lines in the whole series gets cut

we come.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Why is that actually a better name than Hopper holy poo poo.

Cause you know hopper's mix tapes are fly.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Natural 20 posted:

That scene with Perrin and Hopper was incredible.

And the chemistry between Rand and Selene is just perfect.

The way she said "are you saying you love me?" just hit perfectly, knowing who she is.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I like the wolves cause I like wolves and while I get why they're portraying the wolf sending the way they are it does mean that one of the best lines in the whole series gets cut

we come.

i still hope/think they'll talk eventually. i feel like it can be justified in the same way as how weaves have become more visually detailed as the girls progress, just say he's established a bond and learned about his powers or whatev

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

eke out posted:

i still hope/think they'll talk eventually. i feel like it can be justified in the same way as how weaves have become more visually detailed as the girls progress, just say he's established a bond and learned about his powers or whatev

Didn't Elyas even say something along the lines of "you'll understand it better later on" or was it just "they'll talk to you when they're ready"?

I'll try to look out for that when I watch it again.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

eke out posted:

God no. Talking wolves/wolf voice would be a terrible, terrible, terrible idea. If you need more complex concepts transmitted, have Elyas or Perrin voice them - like they did this episode.

Dont make them humans in a different shape, instead lean into their differences. Communicating „we come“ visually is very simple (have wolves running towards Perrin/Rand).

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Devorum posted:

The way she said "are you saying you love me?" just hit perfectly, knowing who she is.

In another turning of the wheel where Rand does fall head over heels for Lanfear, what happens? Were her plans purely out of spite, like I wanna seduce new Lews and once I have him he will know the pain I felt?

Did she genuinely want to rule the world with the dragon reborn if the dark one won?

Would she like...break if she felt she was being loved wholeheartedly?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DTurtle posted:

God no. Talking wolves/wolf voice would be a terrible, terrible, terrible idea. If you need more complex concepts transmitted, have Elyas or Perrin voice them - like they did this episode.

Dont make them humans in a different shape, instead lean into their differences. Communicating „we come“ visually is very simple (have wolves running towards Perrin/Rand).

you're right i don't want them to talk as in having human voices, but subtitles or whatever would work fine. the wolves are all individual people and the viewer should know the words they are communicating to perrin

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 8, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

eke out posted:

you're right i don't want them to talk as in having human voices, but subtitles or whatever would work fine. the wolves are all individual people and the viewer should know the words they are communicating to perrin
But they are already talking. We‘ve seen Hopper introduce himself and the pack tell everyone where to get dinner. How is putting that into explicit words important or interesting?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Fauxshiz posted:

In another turning of the wheel where Rand does fall head over heels for Lanfear, what happens? Were her plans purely out of spite, like I wanna seduce new Lews and once I have him he will know the pain I felt?

Did she genuinely want to rule the world with the dragon reborn if the dark one won?

My take on her plan from the books was she didn't really have a plan. She just wanted LTT to admit he was wrong in leaving her. I don't think she even had a plan past that point. If she'd convinced Rand to love her unconditionally and stand by her side, she would have been like the dog who catches the squirrel.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The wolf visions are already being put into explicit words because Elyas or Perrin immediately say out loud what the wolves are communicating after the visions.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fauxshiz posted:

Rand/Lews said that she'd never actually loved him, she just loved the power and prestige that came from being with him. Conversely, her reaction when she finds out he slept with Aviendha revealed fury at having her place usurped rather than any care or consideration for what he was going through.

Lanfear at heart is a bully: she wants to be in charge and tell everyone else what to do (she wanted to overthrow the Creator AND the Dark One, after all), and Rand would only ever be near her level because she allowed it and permitted it to happen. Him having any independent agency is anathema to her.

So it'd only happen if he becomes a complete simp and doormat for her, which she'd heartily approve of.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DTurtle posted:

How is putting that into explicit words important or interesting?

robert jordan made perrin's wolf pals use words to communicate. my preference is that they find some way to continue that on screen because i think literally talking to wolves, and them talking to him, is a rather large part of perrin's characterization and, similarly, i don't think hopper will be the same character if he exclusively communicates via projected images

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Robert Jordan wrote a book that uses words, this is a TV show that can do much more than that. Also the words on the page were just Perrin's interpretation of the images he saw in his head..

I think I'd be ok with a voiceover, but the images are how they actually work, even in the book

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

pik_d posted:

Robert Jordan wrote a book that uses words, this is a TV show that can do much more than that. Also the words on the page were just Perrin's interpretation of the images he saw in his head.

hopper is literally perrin's teacher and they talk all the time, i feel confident about this. you can support getting rid of that because technically hopper isn't saying words but rather perrin understands them as words, but i think it'd be a bad idea for all characters involved and also extremely cumbersome and slow relative to the efficiency of, uh, words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Each sentence from Hopper is shown as a scene from Planet Earth or it’s many spin-offs. Including narration from Attenborough.