Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

celewign posted:

I was flying on a plane, and a medical doctor sitting next to me said he was a proponent of wind turbines because they could be used to create strong winds that would push away the clouds.

I didn't know what to say so I said "oh that's nice"
At least they're not causing cancer so there's that.

Anyone know what's up with Finland? Seems like some nuclear generation is down and coal had to kick in. I couldn't easily find any information in English at least.

E: oops, forgot I cuto ff the legend at the top. Green is nuclear, brown is coal, light blue is wind and dark blue is hydro

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's taken a little while, but I see the answer is "not fast enough."

Re: Finland, heavens I wish they'd choose another color scheme, my eyes

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

celewign posted:

I was flying on a plane, and a medical doctor sitting next to me said he was a proponent of wind turbines because they could be used to create strong winds that would push away the clouds.

I didn't know what to say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmDVHs-juPo&t=3s

Jows
May 8, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Anyone know what's up with Finland? Seems like some nuclear generation is down and coal had to kick in. I couldn't easily find any information in English at least.

Refueling outage? It'd be early in the year for one here, but I don't know what the seasonality is like in Scandinavia.

Jows fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 4, 2023

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

celewign posted:

I didn't know what to say so I said "oh that's nice"

Fun fact

Wind machines are commonly used on farms and orchards to prevent frost.

https://orchard-rite.com/wind-machines#info

They aren't capable of pushing clouds away, but they're still cool.

:science:

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

One nuke plant going through maintenance, other nuke plant had a problem and needed to be taken off the grid. Also, maintenance work in Sweden transmit grid so imports had to be scaled down. In addition it happened during a period of low wind. So basically multiple shits hitting the fan simultaneously.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
a new way to get lithium ....

https://engineering.princeton.edu/n...0and%20lithium.

TheMuffinMan fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 10, 2023

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Im ok with it as long as we can still use child slaves

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

That's pretty cool how it mimics trees. Won't matter though unless they can scale it, of course.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Speaking of lithium, the world's largest deposit has been discovered within the US along the Nevada-Oregon border

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/lithium-discovery-in-us-volcano-could-be-biggest-deposit-ever-found/4018032.article

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

how is thacker pass being "discovered"? people have been trading $LAC off of its developments for years now

here's a year old guardian video about the protests to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv9iHH7g6xk

the company even has a webpage for it: https://www.lithiumamericas.com/usa/thacker-pass/

its wiki page was created a decade ago, though to be fair its really in 2020 when development got going: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thacker_Pass_Lithium_Mine

MightyBigMinus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 10, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dameius posted:

That's pretty cool how it mimics trees. Won't matter though unless they can scale it, of course.

Article say they already scaled it up once and are working on a second generation model, and the components are cheap and the process naturally separates the sodium and lithium salts without using additional chemicals.

quote:

In addition to concentrating the salts, the technique causes lithium and sodium to crystallize at distinct locations along the string due to their different physical properties. Sodium, with low solubility, crystallizes on the lower part of the string, while the highly soluble lithium salts crystallize near the top. The natural separation allowed the team to collect lithium and sodium individually, a feat that typically requires the use of additional chemicals.

quote:

Conventional brine extraction involves building a series of huge evaporation ponds to concentrate lithium from salt flats, salty lakes or groundwater aquifers. The process can take anywhere from several months to a few years. The operations are only commercially viable in a handful of locations around the world that have sufficiently high starting lithium concentrations, an abundance of available land, and an arid climate to maximize evaporation. For instance, there is only one active brine-based lithium extraction operation in the United States, located in Nevada and covering over seven square miles.

The string technique is far more compact and can begin producing lithium much more quickly. Although the researchers caution that it will take additional work to scale their technology from the lab to an industrial scale, they estimate it can cut the amount of land needed by more than 90% compared to current operations and can accelerate the evaporation process by more than 20 times compared to traditional evaporation ponds, potentially yielding initial lithium harvests in less than one month.

Since the materials to produce the strings are cheap and the technology does not require chemical treatments to operate, the researchers said that with additional enhancements, their approach would be a strong candidate for widespread adoption. In the paper, the researchers demonstrated the potential scalability of their approach by constructing an array of 100 lithium-extracting strings.

Ren’s team is already developing a second generation of the technique that will enable greater efficiency, higher throughput, and more control over the crystallization process.
Sounds like a real holy grail improvement.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It seems like that would also be faster, easier desalination?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Xand_Man posted:

This is removing some specific salts, but the water coming out the ‘top’ probably has plenty of salts left. I’d guess it could be adapted, but something tells me it will run into diminishing returns and end up be similar in cost (price, energy, space, etc) as other solutions.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Xand_Man posted:

The water going up the wicks is evaporated off, the remaining solution in the feed pond (that the wicks are dipped into) would slightly increase in salinity (because some evaporation would still happen off the surface).

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
And the evaporate is troublesome to collect and use as a water source in that context I would guess.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Zudgemud posted:

And the evaporate is troublesome to collect and use as a water source in that context I would guess.

Yes, you have to seal it and pump out the collected vapor. To make it more efficient, you could make it a vacuum and you have just invented vacuum desalination (Israel used to be world leaders in it), where you lower the pressure above your feed solution so that boiling point of water is reduced to (near) ambient temperature (and then condense the vapor at ambient pressure). For desal, reverse osmosis has been the market leader for 20 years or more (wouldn't surprise me the first step of these evap ponds is RO'ing out a cut of good quality water).

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://newatlas.com/energy/touchwind-floating-wind-turbine/

a lower cost wind turbine

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

It seems cool - a good use of physics principles rather than sheer engineering.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/new-tape-nuclear-fusion-reactors

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Those YBCO magnets are really impressive but there haven't really been any actual news about those in the last two years.
It will be a while until they get the reactor together.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It'll be neat to see how it works in practice and get some data as to how much closer to the engineering net positive energy output we get.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
If the production capacity for YBCO tape is really increasing exponentially year-on-year, it's going to be incredibly positive for fusion. And maybe one of those "this changes everything" technologies.

A high magnetic field of 13 Tesla means reaching a plasma density great enough for a self-sustaining fusion reaction. Then you can finally get to work on researching, in power-plant conditions, what could be the real showstoppers for fusion: turbulence, instabilities, neutrons and impurities.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
And yeah the big thing about those is we just don't even have the facilities to really experiment or develop or research the quality assurance and material sciences for those materials, and not enough of any kind of funding yet. If fusion research gets to the point where THAT is the show stopper I think we'll see more solutions be considered.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So the French were drilling the ground and came acros a shitload of hydrogen it seems.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/09/french-drillers-may-have-stumbled-upon-a-mammoth-hydrogen-deposit/?comments=1&comments-page=1

quote:

While the device did detect almost pure methane (99 percent) at a depth of 650 meters, probing further down, the borehole resulted in an unexpected and surprising discovery: hydrogen in high concentration. “At 1,100 meters, the concentration of dissolved hydrogen is 14 percent. At 3,000 meters, the estimated concentration could be as high as 90 percent,” Jacques Pironon, director of research at GeoRessources lab at the Université de Lorraine, said.

However, you'll note there's also a shitload methane there and they're extrapolating that it could be 90% hydrogen if they go deeper.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I thought with new catalysts/enzymes getting hydrogen from water is very low cost

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

TheMuffinMan posted:

I thought with new catalysts/enzymes getting hydrogen from water is very low cost

Still far more costly than just getting it out of the ground for pretty much free, if you have a viable reservoir.
Obviously, you wont get to produce hydrogen from water at an actual energy win, so the energy has to come from somewhere else.

Basically, ground hydrogen can be fuel, while produced hydrogen can only be a battery.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

cant cook creole bream posted:

Still far more costly than just getting it out of the ground for pretty much free, if you have a viable reservoir.
Obviously, you wont get to produce hydrogen from water at an actual energy win, so the energy has to come from somewhere else.

Basically, ground hydrogen can be fuel, while produced hydrogen can only be a battery.

plenty of energy to come from the sun though right via solar panels

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

TheMuffinMan posted:

If you think about it, isn't the sun just a really big battery that's constantly discharging? :haw:

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Deuce posted:

If you think about it, isn't the sun just a really big battery that's constantly discharging? :haw:

most of the sun is plasma

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

TheMuffinMan posted:

I know. But using that to produce hydrogen which you have to store, transport and burn later on still has a huge rate of loss compared to conventional forms of battery storage.
Your argument boils down to, "why would someone burn coal from the ground, when they can just use the sun to grow trees for fuel?"

TheMuffinMan posted:

most of the sun is plasma
Plasma is a leaky form of energy storage.
The sun is just using it's unfair advantage in gravity to squeeze protons together until it basically runs out.
And it's actually a really slow and inefficient process, which only seems impressive due to sheer size. Per cubic meter the sun produces less heat than a human or a pile of compost.
But if one of the natural constants was just ever so slightly different, stars would either burn through their complete fuel in seconds, or not react ever. Hooray for the Anthropic principle!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 20, 2023

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
"Green hydrogen produced through electrolysis using renewable power costs US$10-15 per kg , depending on availability. Grey hydrogen produced with cheap fracked natural gas costs US$2 per kg in the US, while in Europe, Australia and Asia it costs US$5-6 per kg due to higher natural gas prices"

"The Honda Clarity vehicle obtained about 77 miles (124 km) per kilogram of hydrogen in the city, 67 miles (108 km) per kilogram highway and 72 miles (116 km) per kilogram in combined driving."

Unfortunately there was not enough demand for the honda clarity so it was discontinued.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

They took the fuel tank out, stuck a fat battery in its place, and sold it as an extended range hybrid. I own one.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

TheMuffinMan posted:

"Green hydrogen produced through electrolysis using renewable power costs US$10-15 per kg , depending on availability. Grey hydrogen produced with cheap fracked natural gas costs US$2 per kg in the US, while in Europe, Australia and Asia it costs US$5-6 per kg due to higher natural gas prices"

"The Honda Clarity vehicle obtained about 77 miles (124 km) per kilogram of hydrogen in the city, 67 miles (108 km) per kilogram highway and 72 miles (116 km) per kilogram in combined driving."

Unfortunately there was not enough demand for the honda clarity so it was discontinued.

those are very old numbers

https://about.bnef.com/blog/green-hydrogen-to-undercut-gray-sibling-by-end-of-decade/

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I recently used 6$/kg for green H2 for some analyses. Not great but not 12$

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

uhhhhh that's why i quoted my "facts"

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://scitechdaily.com/new-breakthrough-in-energy-storage-mit-engineers-create-supercapacitor-out-of-ancient-materials/

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://scitechdaily.com/unusual-findings-overturn-current-battery-wisdom/

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://bgr.com/tech/a-special-molecule-that-violates-the-laws-of-physics-could-lead-to-limitless-energy/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Three articles with increasingly implausible headlines.