Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

CainsDescendant posted:

gently caress man Elaida Avasarala would be a force to reckon with
That's basically her character on The Expanse isn't it, a power-concentrating monster who is largely wrong all the time but firm in their convictions of fuckin up?

RC Cola posted:

Literally her saying that and then. Flashback to him saying something while he was gesturing memorably but now it's in the old tongue. Ez
I don't like how they've handled the flashbacks so far though, they've always felt kinda cheap :mad:

seaborgium posted:

Just have them start talking in the way they usually talk, then Birgitte starts talking a little off and Mat responds the same way, after a few lines have Birgitte say "What language do we speak, Hornsounder?" in the old tongue with subtitles and then Mat responds in the old tongue with subtitles. The new Mat seems like a pretty good actor who could pull it off, and assuming whoever they get for Birgitte is decent it could work really well.
Something like this or maybe just straight up having 'em speak Old Tongue and accept that the great subterfuge of the scene is lost to type, idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Pleads posted:

That's basically her character on The Expanse isn't it, a power-concentrating monster who is largely wrong all the time but firm in their convictions of fuckin up?

I don't know that I'd characterize her entirely that way, especially in later seasons, but that's definitely an element of her character. Her "Earth must come first" mantra definitely maps well onto Elaida's fixation on the royal family of Caemlyn

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just hope they let her drop F bombs.

Should be a long rear end multi-season role too. Doesn’t Elaida last until AMOL?

Hexel fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 10, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

seaborgium posted:

I saw something on Twitter long ago about how to do that scene. In the books the characters themselves are speaking in the kind of formal, odd sounding way that the old tongue works even though it's written in English so if you're paying attention you realize somethings up right away.

Just have them start talking in the way they usually talk, then Birgitte starts talking a little off and Mat responds the same way, after a few lines have Birgitte say "What language do we speak, Hornsounder?" in the old tongue with subtitles and then Mat responds in the old tongue with subtitles. The new Mat seems like a pretty good actor who could pull it off, and assuming whoever they get for Birgitte is decent it could work really well.

If anyone else is present, I'd do it by having them speak in English between themselves then have the witness ask what they're talking about. Cut back to Mat saying "What do you mean?" in the Old Tongue with subtitles.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

CainsDescendant posted:

I don't know that I'd characterize her entirely that way, especially in later seasons, but that's definitely an element of her character. Her "Earth must come first" mantra definitely maps well onto Elaida's fixation on the royal family of Caemlyn

Yeah, while Avasarala is flawed and can be machiavellian, she is far more intelligent than Elaida, and also interested in more of a greater good (even if with limits to its scope) than her own ego and self-aggrandisement. I don't find them very comparable.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Cadsuane was a massive failure and ignorant bully the whole books. I don't want to see Shoreh dumbassing herself into things. Sorilea is much better for her.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

Hexel posted:

I just hope they let her drop F bombs.

Should be a long rear end multi-season role too. Doesn’t Elaida last until AMOL?

Until the Seanchan attack the tower (TOM?) so close enough

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Jedit posted:

If anyone else is present, I'd do it by having them speak in English between themselves then have the witness ask what they're talking about. Cut back to Mat saying "What do you mean?" in the Old Tongue with subtitles.

It's a doable scene, that's for sure. I liked it and it was an entertaining way of showing what's happened to Mat so I'd like to see it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

seaborgium posted:

It's a doable scene, that's for sure. I liked it and it was an entertaining way of showing what's happened to Mat so I'd like to see it.

I think you could do it in a single seamless conversation. First transition happens the way the books had it: Birgitte and Mat start speaking stilted English, but English all the same. Then, between sentences, Birgitte switches to Old Tongue (subtitled) and Mat keeps talking to her. The reveal of “Speak we what language” would still be in the Old Tongue, of course.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Barreft posted:

Cadsuane was a massive failure and ignorant bully the whole books. I don't want to see Shoreh dumbassing herself into things. Sorilea is much better for her.

If she's Elaida then welp

But if anyone can make Elaida sympathetic... well, I don't think even Shoreh can do that but she'll make it amazing television at least

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

They've already done more to make Liadrin nuanced and interesting without completely throwing out the bones of the character (a selfish manipulator filled with conniving power hunger because she thinks she'd owed everything she wants) than I thought was possible, so I have no doubt they can do the same with Elaida.

To me, the essence of Elaida is that she believes she's a woman of destiny because she was born with that Talent for Foretelling that's on the verge of extinction. Her actual abilities aren't up to the tasks she's given or that she takes upon herself, but both her ability to see the future and the automatic privilege she got for having that ability blind her to that. She's a product of everything wrong with the Aes Sedai's backward-looking culture of privileging raw power, rare ability and the traditions of bygone ages. Those who seek to manipulate her can do so easily by playing into her delusions and those for whom she becomes the chief antagonist can only overcome her by exposing her ineptitude and thus the flaws in the society that granted her power in the first place. Egwene is her great enemy because Egwene is everything she imagines herself to be, and because Egwene is a reformer who wants to tear down every edifice that allowed Elaida to gain power in the first place.

I think those are all aspects this show can work with very well.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
perrin's storyline might be more boring than in the books

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sanguinia posted:

They've already done more to make Liadrin nuanced and interesting without completely throwing out the bones of the character (a selfish manipulator filled with conniving power hunger because she thinks she'd owed everything she wants) than I thought was possible, so I have no doubt they can do the same with Elaida.

To me, the essence of Elaida is that she believes she's a woman of destiny because she was born with that Talent for Foretelling that's on the verge of extinction. Her actual abilities aren't up to the tasks she's given or that she takes upon herself, but both her ability to see the future and the automatic privilege she got for having that ability blind her to that. She's a product of everything wrong with the Aes Sedai's backward-looking culture of privileging raw power, rare ability and the traditions of bygone ages. Those who seek to manipulate her can do so easily by playing into her delusions and those for whom she becomes the chief antagonist can only overcome her by exposing her ineptitude and thus the flaws in the society that granted her power in the first place. Egwene is her great enemy because Egwene is everything she imagines herself to be, and because Egwene is a reformer who wants to tear down every edifice that allowed Elaida to gain power in the first place.

I think those are all aspects this show can work with very well.

Elaida is very much like Cersei Lannister to me in that she's very much smart and powerful enough to get what she aims for, but not smart enough to get/realize what she actually wants or needs. She's so far up her own rear end about how great she is and how nobody around her realizes her apparent greatness or recognizes it to her satisfaction that she's unaware of her own shortcomings, blind spots, and ways she might be sabotaging herself.

Egwene has her own problems with arrogance and inflexible thinking, but she comes at it from a place of self-sacrifice or self-improvement instead of self-aggrandizement so it usually works out better for her than Elaida.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

Egwene is a reformer who wants to tear down every edifice that allowed Elaida to gain power in the first place.

Ehhhh, not really. She's a reformer of Elaida sure. But as soon as she brings the tower back together and is firmly planted in the seat, Egwene is all ready to spin up the "Aes Sedai are infallible and everyone needs to just sit down and listen to the adults talking" poo poo that put the whole world where it was after thousands of years of it.

Devorum posted:

He could absolutely feel her channeling

The scene is pretty clear that he can't. There are actual visual things happening that he's responding to. We, as the audience, don't see the weaves and he's clearly the PoV character in that scene given the camera angles and such.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

CainFortea posted:

Ehhhh, not really. She's a reformer of Elaida sure. But as soon as she brings the tower back together and is firmly planted in the seat, Egwene is all ready to spin up the "Aes Sedai are infallible and everyone needs to just sit down and listen to the adults talking" poo poo that put the whole world where it was after thousands of years of it.

The scene is pretty clear that he can't. There are actual visual things happening that he's responding to. We, as the audience, don't see the weaves and he's clearly the PoV character in that scene given the camera angles and such.

I said feel, not see. He didn't know that's what he felt, but I thought it was very clear that's what he's responding to and the visual bits were for our benefit so the audience doesn't think he's just being weird.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Rand believes Moiraine because he instinctively understands he is batting way out of his league with Selene and SOMETHING nefarious is going on.

Like seriously she’s a 10 and a successful businessperson hooking up with some rando sheepherder she barely met last week and maybe he burned her house down. Also he has a part-time job AT BEST

I like the theory that this version of Rand is actually very clever. He was stalking Logain the entire time, and he secretly knew Selene was Lanfear but was enjoying the wild hook-up while it lasted.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 10, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pik_d posted:

Rafe is not "switching to" God of War, he is also the showrunner for God of War.

Oh man. What is the logic there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Barreft posted:

Still haven't read the Sanderson books but Cadsuane is responsible for defeating the Forsaken at the cleansing of the Source. Rand didn't have time for that poo poo. Also her posse saved Rand after he went overboard on hubris and got stabbed by Fain for it. Also treated Aiel and Verin as equals while having a pretty worthwhile goal, keeping Rand sane and on the side of the Light.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

Oh man. What is the logic there.

Rafe makes money and studios refuse to give show running rights to anyone perceived as a risk, as I learned from the WheelTakes podcast episode where they discuss the SAG and writers strike. Same reason the only movies that come out are lovely superhero movies and reruns of 90s IPs.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 10, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Shageletic posted:

Still haven't read the Sanderson books but Cadsuane is responsible for defeating the Forsaken at the cleansing of the Source. Rand didn't have time for that poo poo. Also her posse saved Rand after he went overboard on hubris and got stabbed by Fain for it. Also treated Aiel and Verin as equals while having a pretty worthwhile goal, keeping Rand sane and on the side of the Light.

If you haven't actually finished the series, uhhh, you should PROBABLY do that before defending ole cadsuane's honor lmao

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I know she hosed up the Tam encounter but it all ended well there anyways I'll take your advice and remove myself from all Cadsuane discussion, thank you

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
More importantly finish the loving books holy poo poo

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Also if Rand thought about it for even a millisecond why else would there randomly be a Fade he has to channel to kill after presumably not seeing one for months? Like what are the odds there’d be a convenient one that just HAPPENED to find him when he also believed up until then that he’d killed the dark one?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I'm working on it!

Got New Spring to read after Knife of Dreams. I was working abroad by the time Sanderson started writing the books so outside of I think MoL (wherever the Tam/Rand showdown happened) I don't know what has happened other than what I picked up here and there. Plz keep posting about the books and how it ends without spoiler bars, I've developed near superhuman abilities to roll by them in the thread.

This feels vaguely hubristic/Rand like lol.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Gwaihir posted:

speaking of, how long does it take one normally to read through this series?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pretty sure I started my reread/first time read in June. And I'm on the 11th book now.

E: and that's with the crazy focus/hours at end I'm reading this series that I don't have the ability or patience for anything else

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

It’s 4.4 million words. Reading at 200 words per minute, that would be roughly 370 hours. The audio books total 460 hours (almost 20 days).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If he wasn’t Jesus resurrected, the Tam fight probably would have turned him to the dark side.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Bilirubin posted:

I read the series for the first time in its entirety between new years and mid August. Granted, picking up my kindle became my default pre-sleep, passenger, and downtime action. I think a year of casual effort would be more typical. If you’re dedicated you could probably do it in 6 months

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/GradeKangusBeef/status/1699193301088227763?s=20

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've got through TPOD to halfway through KOD in 3 months so about a year sounds right though that's me reading slow for the most part cause of The Slog.

Sidebar: My main memory of KOD is Egwene being MVP and yeah she definitely gets way better as character once she's back in the Tower but man she is barely in this book

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hexel posted:

I can see it :swoon:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck, that's a drat scary Elaida.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Literally thought that was her in her WoT costume

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

VanillaGorilla posted:

Rand believes Moiraine because he instinctively understands he is batting way out of his league with Selene and SOMETHING nefarious is going on.

Like seriously she’s a 10 and a successful businessperson hooking up with some rando sheepherder she barely met last week and maybe he burned her house down. Also he has a part-time job AT BEST

I like the theory that this version of Rand is actually very clever. He was stalking Logain the entire time, and he secretly knew Selene was Lanfear but was enjoying the wild hook-up while it lasted.

I like your theory, but it's spoiled because Rand is a 10 too. He's a tall mysterious super hot redhead hunk. He has a job where he helps people, and him being part time means he has more time for her.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bilirubin posted:

I started my reread just before the show premiered, read one chapter a day, and finished this month. So a little under two years if you take it slow like that.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You’ll have time to catch up, next season will probably take 2 years min to drop.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Invalid Validation posted:

You’ll have time to catch up, next season will probably take 2 years min to drop.

I heard they're going to extend it to 4 years between seasons.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not a Children posted:

I read the series for the first time in its entirety between new years and mid August. Granted, picking up my kindle became my default pre-sleep, passenger, and downtime action. I think a year of casual effort would be more typical. If you’re dedicated you could probably do it in 6 months

It took me 5 months on my first read. I was dedicating both train-commute directions and a bunch of interim hours to it daily because I wanted to cram it as fast as possible while absorbing as much as possible so I could get maximum context quickly.

I'm partway through the reread and I can barely make it a chapter or two a week. It takes real effort and a big part of that is remembering where I was last

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I like your theory, but it's spoiled because Rand is a 10 too. He's a tall mysterious super hot redhead hunk. He has a job where he helps people, and him being part time means he has more time for her.

'Fated to go mad from channelling saidin' knocks off at least 2 points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Devorum posted:

I said feel, not see. He didn't know that's what he felt, but I thought it was very clear that's what he's responding to and the visual bits were for our benefit so the audience doesn't think he's just being weird.

He literally, on screen, looks at the shimery weirdness. Then freaks out.