Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
PSA to anyone who takes a "Fully map a planet" mission from a kiosk. I got stuck roaming a swamp biome for a few hours looking for a single fauna that I was missing (it was the only biome on the planet that wasn't 100%). Eventually found a tip online that there are fish in the game. Had to go land on a coast, run to the ocean, and found some fish there to scan and complete the quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

smoobles posted:

Is Starfield good?

The screensaver or the game? Either way I reccom6end the screensaver.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Hamelekim posted:

So I've run into what seems to be a very annoying bug.

I am at a self-service bounty console at my base and I am unable to clear my bounty with the United Colonies. It's 360k and I have 370k credits. It tells me I don't have the credits to clear my criminal record which is just false based on what the UI is telling me about how much cash I have on hand and the value of the bounty on me.

I was able to clear another bounty I had from Neon without issue. I did notice that if the console is in a system that you have a bounty in that it won't let you clear it. I had to go to a different system and clear it from there. Maybe I'm missing something but it definitely seem bugged.

theres a fee above the bounty of like 10 or 15% that you need to be able to pay too, the ui is unclear about this

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

smoobles posted:

Is Starfield good?

yes :jecht:

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

trizzNPH posted:

definitely boils down to 'do what you want' because we're all gonna have different relationships with the content.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/16fwvol/beer_pong_with_sarah/

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

anyone else getting the bug where opening your inventory will crater your fps to about 10-15, even after you close the inventory?

very annoying, but theres also a simple remedy. If you open and close your inventory over and over, eventually it will fix itself and go back to normal fps

not running any mods so not sure whats causing this besides general jankiness. Hope bethesda can fix this quickly cause i frequently have to go into the menus

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

smoobles posted:

Is Starfield good?

If you don't have a badass computer I would say wait to get it on PC, it runs like poo poo

Really wasn't expecting 20-30fps on a 3060 lol, obviously there is something wrong with the game

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Velocity Raptor posted:

PSA to anyone who takes a "Fully map a planet" mission from a kiosk. I got stuck roaming a swamp biome for a few hours looking for a single fauna that I was missing (it was the only biome on the planet that wasn't 100%). Eventually found a tip online that there are fish in the game. Had to go land on a coast, run to the ocean, and found some fish there to scan and complete the quest.

I only know that because I saw someone complain ITT that the it was a hazardous planet and apparently stepping into the water killed them :haw:

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I just wanna a build a ship with maximum crew size (I’m at 8 right now) and minimal ladders but man does working through all these various systems suck

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

hawowanlawow posted:

If you don't have a badass computer I would say wait to get it on PC, it runs like poo poo

Really wasn't expecting 20-30fps on a 3060 lol, obviously there is something wrong with the game
What resolution?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

FlamingLiberal posted:

What resolution?

There's definitely a problem with the game on nvidia hardware, they are 20-40% slower than their Radeon equivalents for no good reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m running the game on a 3080 and it’s been pretty smooth for the most part

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

What resolution?

well you can't play in full screen and lower the resolution for some reason, so 4k tv at 50% internal resolution. some say that is 2k and some say 1080p, but in any case you can't lower it any further

if it could run full screen at 1080p it might be fine, but it can't. not gonna switch my windows resolution every time I want to play the game, so gently caress it entirely

you can't even change the brightness lmao, it's such a turd it's unbelievable

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

It's been perfectly fine for me at 1080p on the default settings (except for turning FSR off and setting the internal resolution to 100%, and of course motion blur off because gently caress that), and I'm on a 2060Ti, so take that how you will :shrug:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m running the game on a 3080 and it’s been pretty smooth for the most part

Yes, but you deserve smoother. Your hardware's capable of doing so. Digital Foundry made a video of it, where at the exact same settings on each, the 6800xt was doing 57fps to the 3080's 40.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNM1L0CeN60

AI can't even hit it properly cause it's aiming at the center

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

Latest version of star UI gives items category icons and lets you filter by item type, praise the loving sky serpent

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Does StarUI break achievements?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Das Butterbrot posted:

lol

I mean honestly I never would've thought to make a ship shaped like that so I can definitely see how that flew under the radar. Definitely a big lol regardless, but more [probably] laughing with Bethesda than at them.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

Icedude posted:

It's been perfectly fine for me at 1080p on the default settings (except for turning FSR off and setting the internal resolution to 100%, and of course motion blur off because gently caress that), and I'm on a 2060Ti, so take that how you will :shrug:

definitely a circumstance of overall hardware config making the difference moreso than individual gpu power it seems. I'm getting better avgs on my 5800x3d and EVGA 2070 than some people w/ better GPUs than me, but folks generally don't give their CPU and memory info when talking about their hardware specs around this game.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

Ash1138 posted:

Does StarUI break achievements?

I'd assume that any and all mods will, and you should just run Achievement enabler when you mod the game for safetys sake

Das Butterbrot posted:

lol

Kingdom hearts fans stay winning

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

smoobles posted:

Is Starfield good?

yeah I reckon

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

smoobles posted:

Is Starfield good?

Yup! Having lots of fun plaing it :)

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

trizzNPH posted:

Latest version of star UI gives items category icons and lets you filter by item type, praise the loving sky serpent

It took modders a week to make a better system without proper tools

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Black Griffon posted:

Alright but strip the scope off that thing and you've got an incredible shotgun.

I tried and it sucks rear end compared to an actual shotgun.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yes, but you deserve smoother. Your hardware's capable of doing so. Digital Foundry made a video of it, where at the exact same settings on each, the 6800xt was doing 57fps to the 3080's 40.

What are the chances that this is more an issue of trying to run FSR2 on an nVidia card, and not so much the game itself? I just finished putting together a new machine for myself, old one was on death's door anyway, and am running a 3080 with a i7-13700k. I'm running same resolution as this guy, 100% resolution with FSR disabld, evey other setting maxed, and I have never seen the game dip below 57 FPS in the kind of environment that dude is wandering.

I see high 40s in New Atlantis when I'm in my ship's cockpit looking out (which probably has more to do with whatever voodoo was done to turn creation engine's indoor level spaces into a spaceship that can move around than GPU horsepower), but other than that the game is pretty damned smooth.

I've jumped to the 3080 from a founders-edition 1080, so I'm not fully up on some of these newer acronyms and how they play across AMD vs nVidia.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I figured out specifically what I hate about this game's abysmal travel system.

EITHER let me travel around exclusively via controls in the ship's cockpit, OR let me go to the map and fast travel to anywhere from any exterior area on any planet with a single loading screen.

But don't try to force this weird hybrid method where you have to go back and fourth between ship, then out-of-game menu, then back to ship, then loading screen, then back to ship, then back to menu, then back to ship, loading screen, then back to menu or whatever to get from one planet to another. It feels horrible.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

im on a 3060Ti and have an i7-11700F @ 2.5GHz and im getting rock solid 60 FPS inside and around 50 outside at Medium settings and 3440*1440. pushing it to High drops everything to 30 FPS

i dont think it's a very high end machine but the game runs well enough for me *shrug*

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

DarkDobe posted:

I tried and it sucks rear end compared to an actual shotgun.

ok but I could... I could fix her

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

hawowanlawow posted:

how do I have a 2060 and good performance then?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

GreatGreen posted:

EITHER let me travel around exclusively via controls in the ship's cockpit, OR let me go to the map and fast travel to anywhere from any exterior area on any planet with a single loading screen.

But don't try to force this weird hybrid method where you have to go back and fourth between ship, then out-of-game menu, then back to ship, then loading screen, then back to ship, then back to menu, then back to ship, loading screen, then back to menu or whatever to get from one planet to another. It feels horrible.
yeah and i can't figure out when I can actually fast travel and when I can't and to where

sometimes I can fast travel from an indoor environment, sometimes i have to come out of the indoor environment, sometimes I have to be in my ship, sometimes I have to be in my ship and undocked/in-orbit

it's confusing

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
My favorite gun that I have to buy ammo for because it's so rare out in the wild.

Edit: Yes I know I'm running all white gear. some of it has mods and the numbers are big, but at some point I need to find some purple+ gear with similar stats and mod that instead.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 11, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I have a 3070 Ti and by setting everything to the Hardware Unboxed optimized settings and like 67% scaling (plus the DLSS2 mod to make that not look like rear end), I can keep it above like 45fps in the most demanding areas and well above 60 in interiors. It's not great but also not a deal breaker. Hell that's how I played Elden Ring before I upgraded from a 1070.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

wyoak posted:

yeah and i can't figure out when I can actually fast travel and when I can't and to where

sometimes I can fast travel from an indoor environment, sometimes i have to come out of the indoor environment, sometimes I have to be in my ship, sometimes I have to be in my ship and undocked/in-orbit

it's confusing

I always use the quest log for travel since it will get you as close to where you are going as possible with minimum menuing.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Volte posted:

I have a 3070 Ti and by setting everything to the Hardware Unboxed optimized settings and like 67% scaling (plus the DLSS2 mod to make that not look like rear end), I can keep it above like 45fps in the most demanding areas and well above 60 in interiors. It's not great but also not a deal breaker.

I'm on a 3090 at 29:10 3840x1600 resolution on ultra settings and go from 40fps in cities to 60 indoors.

I put everything on low and my performance barely changed, if at all, so yeah, I just keep it on ultra because why the hell not.

I'm sure if I was running with a 16:9 monitor my performance would solidly be above 60 most of the time.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Lol ok I just read some details about NG+ and...no thanks, I'll focus on this playthrough and doing everything I want to do. Best I can tell, the entirety of getting to the next one is chasing artifacts and temples and playing blinky-light chase, AKA the most boring part of the game.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

GreatGreen posted:

I was in the same boat until someone in the steam thread gave me this tip when I complained about the very same thing. Made exploring around much more enjoyable.

lunar detritus posted:

A detail I missed for the longest time is that you can travel without going to the menu. If you can see the star (or mission marker) you can press A and then X. Then it'll launch into a hyperspeed cutscene right there from the ship.

To build on this, if you go into scanner mode, you can see the markers for each planet or POI within your jump range. So you can just look at it, select it, and then you'll have the option to move to it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

trizzNPH posted:

definitely a circumstance of overall hardware config making the difference moreso than individual gpu power it seems. I'm getting better avgs on my 5800x3d and EVGA 2070 than some people w/ better GPUs than me, but folks generally don't give their CPU and memory info when talking about their hardware specs around this game.

nah according to the resource monitor the GPU is the limiting factor

they just did a lovely job, it is what it is. making excuses for them is just embarrassing

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Riven posted:

Lol ok I just read some details about NG+ and...no thanks, I'll focus on this playthrough and doing everything I want to do. Best I can tell, the entirety of getting to the next one is chasing artifacts and temples and playing blinky-light chase, AKA the most boring part of the game.

I'm just reminded of my first thought on NG+ when I heard about it: Todd wants us to replay his cutting-edge story again and again and again and again and again ad infinitum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Riven posted:

It's playing out the multiverse for the main story, not sure if it changes faction quests, it would be cool if it did.