Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Bleck posted:

Not sure what you're complaining about, here - "The mountain of gold must have sunk into the sea!" was also Liar Noland's last words in the story as it's presented in the manga and the anime.

Oh lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They'll cast Devon Sawa as Eneru, obviously!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If you can get an open enough sky you can do all the cloud-beach stuff there, and then the jungle is the hard part. The being in the sky stuff is actually pretty easy to do compared to the jungle. Because you can green-screen in a sky/cloud ocean that people aren't really interacting with, you cannot do that with a jungle.

Although, they probably only need to make one "jungle" set and can film Little Garden and the jungle parts of Skypeia in the same place, realistically.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bisse posted:

I think them skipping Skypeia or changing the location is probably because the animation/cgi budget would disappear into the sky along with the crew. I sure hope it’s not any sort of underwater location though because they always suck.

Outside of the one time they tried swimming in the cloud sea, there's no real reason is can't just be shitloads of cotton balls and foam over a shallow depression. Almost all of Skypiea takes place in a jungle, a city, or a ruined city in a jungle.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

They have to be earning money off panel because just the bill for the food, booze, and cola has got to be a fortune. Hell, they might be getting some unofficial government "loans" from several grateful and rich monarchs. Either way, we've only been told the crew account balance twice, and that was two years ago. If nothing else Brook has to rich as gently caress, and there's no way Nami didn't make money during the time skip.

One of these days I really hope we get a scene where the crew meets a stranger and they go 'Holy poo poo it's the world-famous rock star Soul King Brook, right here at our doorstep, and also some other guys, I think they're his backup dancers or something?'

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I just assume any time Nami is not on screen she’s robbing some pirate blind for the crew. Even during the ship scenes she’s probably running scams by mail or something

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

I just assume any time Nami is not on screen she’s robbing some pirate blind for the crew. Even during the ship scenes she’s probably running scams by mail or something
YeahI just assume Sanji’s cooking and Chopper’s doctoring any time a timejump happens. I think Oda just lets the reader take a lot of the crew roles for granted now rather than showing us the same scenes over and over again. Yeah it’s crazy that Luffy and Zoro walked off literally dying on Onigashima but recovery probably isn’t too bad when you have the world’s best chef feeding you milkshakes that can regrow your teeth and a doctor who’s smart enough to whip up 2000 doses of AstraZeneca in the middle of an active battlefield.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/napcakes2/status/1679667914847182851?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Took me a second. "Oh, the MISTER Beast Pirates."

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

White Light posted:

I remember in the LA when Nami was reading the Nolan book to Zoro while he was in his post-battle coma or whatever, she specifically said Nolan's last words were 'The City of Gold must have disappeared into the Sea'

Boy I hope that was just them taking the piss cause if they get far enough to do a third season they had better loving NOT turn Skypeia into some bullshit Atlantis destination, that would be such a disservice to the series in general.
lmao

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah, you have to understand that very few Netflix shows get past Season 3. So instead of going up to Skypeia they're going to go down into that hole in Jaya (where the One Piece is)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Waffleman_ posted:

Ep2: Do you remember my Binky Ball?

I liked the Boogie reference. There's plenty of deepcut references for hardcore fans. :allears: Even Zoro cutting down the previous Mr 7 messenger passing on the Baroque Works invitation was mentioned in an SBS.

Still weird as hell though seeing some of the goofier character designs in real like Merry and Mayor Boddle.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Poor boodle got the worst of it in the adaptation. From a heroic old man the town adores and who sheds the first manly tears in the series to mostly a bystander (they did give him a scene to be brave/good though).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
chap this week, no break next week

rejoice

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmao

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So I just remembered that I have a copy of a very early draft of the script for the first episode and there are some interesting things in there that were removed. I assume it's real since I got it from a reputable source and some of the dialogue is exactly the same and I've had this file for like 2 years at least.

Sengoku and Kong are in the first scene, and are the ones on the execution platform.
Roger actually says The Thing.
Shanks was the narrator rather than Ian McShane.
The first episode has all of Romance Dawn.
Zoro/Mr 7 stuff is after RD
There are scenes on Goat Island rather than just Alvida's boat
They really clumsily namedrop every East Blue arc's villains in one go
It ends with the first half of Shells Town

It's curious to see how things were rearranged and changed. It seems to be a more faithful adaptation in a lot of places.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I still can't believe Roger doesn't say the thing. That's just insane to me

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Countblanc posted:

I still can't believe Roger doesn't say the thing. That's just insane to me

that was just bizarre, agreed

and, for what? why?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Potato Salad posted:

that was just bizarre, agreed

and, for what? why?

It's even more bizarre because everyone calls it One Piece anyway, so who even coined the phrase?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
to be fair in the japanese he doesn't say one piece, in such terms, either. it's roughly "i left it there"

but not saying anything was super weird yes

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
“I left it there in one piece” or whatever was a 4kids invention. It’s canon that the One Piece is what it came to be known as some time after Roger’s execution.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I was wondering about this a while ago and looked it up to find that there’s no stated origin for the term One Piece.

However, we now know that the final island was named Laugh Tale by the Roger pirates, but how did that catch on? Crocus tells them the name when the Straw Hats first enter the Grand Line, so if he did that to all newbie pirates, it makes sense that eventually the whole world would use the name.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Bleck posted:

“I left it there in one piece” or whatever was a 4kids invention. It’s canon that the One Piece is what it came to be known as some time after Roger’s execution.

Give it up

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bleck posted:

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I was wondering about this a while ago and looked it up to find that there’s no stated origin for the term One Piece.

However, we now know that the final island was named Laugh Tale by the Roger pirates, but how did that catch on? Crocus tells them the name when the Straw Hats first enter the Grand Line, so if he did that to all newbie pirates, it makes sense that eventually the whole world would use the name.

I've been living a lie this whole time...

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Happy birthday Dogstorm…

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

I've been living a lie this whole time...

I never realized either. It's not in the Funimation dub, which I might have sworn it was.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
it's the name of the treasure in the grand line

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/onepiecedaiIys/status/1701030420295332209?t=TXUe6BF6TL5gAF_pusrSPQ&s=19

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

It's cute if Crocus is intentionally telling them the wrong name for the island. Like the band member that hate's the band name getting his last laugh in making sure it's known as Rapheal instead of Laugh Tale.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I started a One Piece re-watch after the LA stuff and was surprised by while I like the stuff that went on, I don't really miss the Krieg Pirates and am fine with Don Krieg being a unique looking jobber as Mother's Basement put it.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Dawgstar posted:

I started a One Piece re-watch after the LA stuff and was surprised by while I like the stuff that went on, I don't really miss the Krieg Pirates and am fine with Don Krieg being a unique looking jobber as Mother's Basement put it.

I do think the series kinda loses something as the Krieg fight is... kinda the only fight in the series that actually takes advantage of a sea setting and Luffy's weakness to it*? It feels kinda piratey and you feel pretty tense because Luffy's constantly teetering above water. Plus the punch through the spike shield was cool. But yeah otherwise whatever to him personally.

*Hody's fight doesn't count

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/JBoMacca/status/1701238258603110662?s=20

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I fail to see the issue

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

mikeycp posted:

Sengoku and Kong are in the first scene, and

Oh you mean the super duper powerful Commander-in-Chief that we saw for all of two panels before promptly dropping off the face of the series, never to be brought up or referenced again to date? THAT guy?

Feels weird Oda gave such a heavy rank to a guy that's barely acknowledged at all, much less a spot on the execution platform.

EDIT: ^^ those LA Buggy pics look like something I'd see in Hell House LLC

White Light fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 12, 2023

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

White Light posted:

Oh you mean the super duper powerful Commander-in-Chief that we saw for all of two panels before promptly dropping off the face of the series, never to be brought up or referenced again to date? THAT guy?

Feels weird Oda gave such a heavy rank to a guy that's barely acknowledged at all, much less a spot on the execution platform.

EDIT: ^^ those LA Buggy pics look like something I'd see in Hell House LLC

hes monkey d. kong and garps father

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

That's just Luffy if he was designed in like 2020.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pirate Deku

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

While we wait for

:siren: What scenes go harder in the anime, than they do in the manga? :siren:

Brook's stone cold Whole Cake Island MVP "What kind of idiot regards his death as part of the plan, young lady?" moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdZmn3sqMCs

-----------------------------------------------------------

Kin'emon's moan as he breaks down realising he didn't even have to beg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_p8mJiSVcw

The entire Crocus gag sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kohraW3rj3M

Robin finally delcaring she wants to live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npufTv1ifNg

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The only thing I thought they really didn't land on in the live action wast the Lucky Roux shot. I want my man handled execution style while eating a piece of chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Infinitum posted:

While we wait for

:siren: What scenes go harder in the anime, than they do in the manga? :siren:

The Punch. You know the one, I don’t have to say it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX2EfnTc_Eg

(Both are very good)