Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Seconding Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.

I've also had good luck with Botanical Interests, though orders have taken a little longer to get shipped than in the past while they work out the kinks. That's where I got my tasty and still-not-bolted Everleaf Emerald Towers Basil.

Seed Geeks has been good for herbs too. I like to go for sellers with a roughly similar climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Do any of these online seed sellers stock gmo seeds? Heirlooms are awesome, and I'm not talking about Monsanto poo poo, but I'd like to support some honest - better veggies through modern genetic manipulation - that most places I've seen are way against.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I would have said Park Seeds or Burpee, but apparently they've gone to Hell. (based on Dave's Garden reviews, a lot of which are for plants, but a lot of which are for seeds.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

Do any of these online seed sellers stock gmo seeds? Heirlooms are awesome, and I'm not talking about Monsanto poo poo, but I'd like to support some honest - better veggies through modern genetic manipulation - that most places I've seen are way against.

I think you'll have to look at commercial agriculture suppliers for GMO stuff. The home gardener market is so set against it they aren't really available.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

effika posted:

I think you'll have to look at commercial agriculture suppliers for GMO stuff. The home gardener market is so set against it they aren't really available.
It would make sense that the overlap between "I want to grow my own food" and "but without any of your damnfool agricultural science" is high. I am irritated that because of the way the seed-propagating industry works, most of the varieties I see in the catalog (any catalog) have been bred for maximum efficiency in processing. I don't care how long a tomato holds in storage, or how it holds up to being stuffed in a truck, but that's what's bred for, sometimes at the expense of the stuff I do care about.

Gem corn is so pretty, I wish I had the space to waste on a stalk or so.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I grew ten stalks of Oaxacan green corn for a three sisters bed last year and hand pollinated. I got cobs on every single stalk and good formation but the squirrels destroyed all of it. If you treat them individually you can still get some from a tiny planting

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
A fun corn that fits into a planter or other small space is Tom Thumb Popcorn

After it’s dry you can put a whole cob into the microwave for popping. It grows fast, only 90 days, so if you time it right you can save your own seed without worry about cross pollination from your neighbors.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Zone 6a

So, I have a bunch of asparagus crowns, but won't have a bed to put them in until spring. What is the best way to store them til spring?

Everywhere I look its different

- in a bucket with sawdust in the basement - they would dry out? But there are other plants who can have dry roots during a dormant period.

- wrapped in wet paper towel in the fridge - mold? This seems reasonable for a shorter period of time. Plus it would take up a lot of space.

- in the freezer - freezer burn maybe? And take up a lot of space.

They only cost me sweat equity so its not the end of the world if they don't make it, but...

Thoughts?

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Anyone know wtf is up with they San Marzanos? Plant looked good all year, then suddenly all the matoes started looking disgusting.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Looks like the start of blossom end rot. Theoretically from a lack of calcium but in practice usually caused by under- or uneven watering

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

effika posted:

Seconding Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.

I've also had good luck with Botanical Interests, though orders have taken a little longer to get shipped than in the past while they work out the kinks. That's where I got my tasty and still-not-bolted Everleaf Emerald Towers Basil.

Seed Geeks has been good for herbs too. I like to go for sellers with a roughly similar climate.

Thirding Southern Exposure. They also have the most spectacular seed catalogs every year.

I still use burpee to get sun gold seeds, but everything else I tend to go to Southern Exposure.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
The weather service thinks we are FINALLY through with the 100°F temperatures!! I have planted my beets (Early Wonder, Touchstone Gold) and carrots (Danvers 126). I have about 7 weeks before the average first frost date, but since these are all in 5-gallon buckets I can bring them indoors overnight to avoid those and extend my growing season a bit.

The carrots went into basil bucket soil and I expect I will get stumpy carrots out of it, though I did try to break up the roots. The beets I am less worried about-- the dill buckets left their soil very nicely textured. Even so, I'm hoping for lots of greens, and if I get good roots it'll be a bonus.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Spikes32 posted:

So it's been a good few years since I looked into this, but last I checked the only GMOs available were the Monsanto and co field crops. Other than golden rice, I'm not really aware of many that are academically-produced, and I don't think there are any vegetables.

The sense I got is that it's genuinely difficult (and expensive) to create transgenic crops. Eg even the huge seed companies hadn't managed a transgenic wheat. For most traits you'd be interested in for your home garden, conventional breeding is just far more versatile.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So it's been a good few years since I looked into this, but last I checked the only GMOs available were the Monsanto and co field crops. Other than golden rice, I'm not really aware of many that are academically-produced, and I don't think there are any vegetables.

The sense I got is that it's genuinely difficult (and expensive) to create transgenic crops. Eg even the huge seed companies hadn't managed a transgenic wheat. For most traits you'd be interested in for your home garden, conventional breeding is just far more versatile.

Thanks I appreciate this, saving me more online searching

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Depending on what you mean by "better", for things like disease resistance modern hybrids are often the best bet, but they're not necessarily bred for the best flavor. Places like Wild Boar Farms breed some really interesting tomato varieties, both in terms of looks and flavor. Those places don't always plainly state whether they're open pollinated or not, so if you want to save seeds you may have to dig for info.

Personally I prefer open pollinated and heirloom varieties at least for things where seed saving is easy... tomatoes, peppers, beans, etc. For stuff like corn where you have to take drastic measures to avoid cross pollination, I'll buy whatever, usually a hybrid. Squash, cucumbers, onions, I'll buy OP or heirloom and then 90% of the time I'm too lazy to put the effort into saving pure seed so I have to buy more later anyway.

My philosophy on tomatoes is save seeds from OP varieties, then save seeds even harder if you get a really healthy volunteer plant, especially if you can identify the variety. The way I figure, if they do well with no effort, they have the genetics I want.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There's a garden where my job rents plots for people that want to plant stuff. Out of the 10 or so I'm the only person that used one. I think next year I'm going to get greedy and use the plots my coworkers neglect. Anyway, all that to say that I harvested my first produce this afternoon!

I thought these were lemon cucumbers this whole time until today, lmao. I initially threw down melon seeds, but they didn't germinate, so I put down lemon cucumber seeds (which I thought actually germinated).

Instead, they're incredibly fragrant kajari melons! I left them on the counter, left the house, and got back to it reeking of musky melon.

What's left in the garden plot are a Sweet Meat squash I somehow hosed up, and a golden midget watermelon vine with ripening fruit.

Here you can peep the ripest golden midget.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

That Old Ganon posted:

Gardening Thread: reeking of musky melon

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This is extremely cool to know. Thank you.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Well, hold the phone on that, apparently transgenic purple tomato seeds are likely to be available soon:

https://www.norfolkhealthyproduce.com/products

And if anyone really wants to do a deep dive into this, here is a review paper that is recent and seems comprehensive at a cursory glance: https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/15/2/1722

(Bearing in mind that I am super not an expert in molecular biology in plants.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And if anyone really wants to do a deep dive into this, here is a review paper that is recent and seems comprehensive at a cursory glance: https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/15/2/1722

I picked a random citation and they don't seem to be representing the papers they cite well.

The review posted:

Most GM products contain marker genes and genes for certain useful traits. These marker genes can build resistance to particular antibiotics, and constant consumption of these foods could result in antibiotic resistance in the human body [182].

the cited paper posted:

GENERAL CONCLUSIONS
HGT is defined as the transfer of genetic material from one organism to another, independent of reproduction.

HGT results in unidirectional gene flow, usually of one to several genes, from a donor organism to the genome of a recipient organism. The recipient organism may be closely related to the donor organism or may be an unrelated species. Sequencing of large numbers of eukaryotic, prokaryotic and viral genomes has shown that HGT is a significant component in the evolution of virtually every organism. Nevertheless, most gene transfers between multicellular eukaryotes and other organisms are detected over time scales of millions of years. This is despite the abundant availability of genetic material in living organisms, and externally, such as in soil, water, feces or even processed foods (Brinkmann and Tebbe, 2007; Douville et al., 2007; Kharazmi et al., 2003; Nielsen et al., 2007).
Only a few types of HGT occur sufficiently often to be observed. These frequent HGT events typically involve MGEs such as plasmids and viruses.
From the current scientific evidence, HGT from GM plants to other organisms presents negligible risks to human health and safety or the environment due to the rarity of such events relative to those HGT events that occur in nature and the limited chance of providing a selective advantage to the recipient organism.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JoshGuitar posted:

Depending on what you mean by "better", for things like disease resistance modern hybrids are often the best bet, but they're not necessarily bred for the best flavor. Places like Wild Boar Farms breed some really interesting tomato varieties, both in terms of looks and flavor. Those places don't always plainly state whether they're open pollinated or not, so if you want to save seeds you may have to dig for info.

Personally I prefer open pollinated and heirloom varieties at least for things where seed saving is easy... tomatoes, peppers, beans, etc. For stuff like corn where you have to take drastic measures to avoid cross pollination, I'll buy whatever, usually a hybrid. Squash, cucumbers, onions, I'll buy OP or heirloom and then 90% of the time I'm too lazy to put the effort into saving pure seed so I have to buy more later anyway.

My philosophy on tomatoes is save seeds from OP varieties, then save seeds even harder if you get a really healthy volunteer plant, especially if you can identify the variety. The way I figure, if they do well with no effort, they have the genetics I want.

If you really want to get crazy, you can graft whatever delicious but weak heirloom tomato you prefer onto some really bulletproof rootstock. I went down that rabbithole (but never actually got around to grafting anything) a few years ago, as it seems to be the only thing you can really do about soil-borne bacterial wilt.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Doesn't bacterial wilt just get splashed up from watering onto the leaves anyways?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Well, boo. My former gardener just stopped showing up some time in July, after digging half the yard down to clay. I asked him to come back and put dirt in the one bed that was complete (because it was already part of the deck, not because of anything he did) and he did. That was the last I saw of him. This summer, I decided that some garden was better than a garden entirely in pots. I put in some of the very basics: radishes, chervil, coriander, peas both snow and English, one tomato in an insulating cover. Down the center of the non-vegetable part I put violas. This was probably in July, maybe as late as August. Yesterday night something, probably a deer judging by reach, ate the pea vines halfway down to the ground. Last night it came back, finished off the pea vines, ate all the sweet peas, browsed the violas down to the ground, and went on about its business. It was definitely there for the greenery: the bits of vine it didn't eat still had pea pods on it, which I hastily grabbed and brought inside. Earlier this summer something had reached into the top of the insulated container of the tomato and eaten what it could reach; I had been assuming raccoon, but again whatever it was focused on eating the leaves.

So. Confirmation that I need a deer fence all around (which I knew, and has always been part of the garden plan), proof that I can raise vegetables by my ownself, kind of a bummer.

Here's hoping my new gardener, vouched for by a neighbor, can bring in fresh soil, put in two retaining walls, and fence all around, at least by spring.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That Old Ganon posted:

Here you can peep the ripest golden midget.

It happened again, these aren't golden midgets at all.

I came across this guy when it was ready to be picked, but left it on the vine because I thought the spots needed to go away before it was fully ripe.

It's really funny to me that both the plants bear fruit that looks similar enough to another's at one stage or another. These plants were actually the seeds I sowed the first time in the garden plot. I thought they didn't germinate and coincidentally replaced them with stuff that looks similar to them.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I picked a random citation and they don't seem to be representing the papers they cite well.

Oh yeah lol that sounds like complete bullshit.

Still probably not the worst way to find other papers in the field, but caveat emptor.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What's the best way to deal with a groundhog that doesn't involve projectiles?

The chonky jerk is popping up out of the storm drain to chomp my strawberry beds.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
There is no way. I’ve been battling one for years. It drives me nuts, but it’s also so drat cute…

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Get yourself a live trap and then congrats now you have an angry animal in a small cage, makes a great conversation-starter centerpiece.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
From what I’ve read, relocating them is essentially a death sentence. They won’t know where to hide from predators.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

From what I’ve read, relocating them is essentially a death sentence. They won’t know where to hide from predators.

Also, for certain critters and certain locales, straight up illegal.

Still, catching the thing means you can safely dispatch it if needed without having to sit out in your yard with a gun. If you go this route, please be kind in what method you choose.

Oh, another alternative, get yourself some electric fence kit? That keeps everything from deer to raccoons to bunnies out of our garden. A little 2-mile would do fine. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/american-farmworks-ac-powered-2-mile-charger, that and some polywire https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/zareba-polywire-200-meter-6-conductors

You can get various standoffs for stringing the wire along whatever you have, be it an existing fence, t posts, or just stakes in the ground. You can get the wire real low down to the ground, just as long as there isn't vegetation and such grounding it out. For ours, I have a solid fence made of treated deck boards that runs a couple courses, so like 12" tall. Then I ran the electric wire above that. Anything looking to cross will tend to stand up and peek over first, get the jolt, and depart. And with the solid fence down at the actual ground, I can weed whack/mow right up against it without worrying about the wiring.

I also have to say: do NOT DIY a fence by running 120V from the wall. That's loving dangerous, it's how you kill animals and/or yourself. These fence chargers just send a very brief jolt of a few thousand volts down the fence line once a second, so it's pretty safe and effective.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 22, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

What's the best way to deal with a groundhog that doesn't involve projectiles?

The chonky jerk is popping up out of the storm drain to chomp my strawberry beds.

Conibear trap.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Soul Dentist posted:

Conibear trap.

Assuming you're not worried about collateral damage. If there's a cat or toddler nearby (that you want to keep, in either case), no bueno.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Looks like I might just put grates over the entrances to the storm drain it uses to get to my yard.

It is cute but goddamn does it eat a lot.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

(record scratch)

Found that while trying to remember the name of a plant. It has drooping blue flowers, silvery foliage, maybe has "honey" somewhere in the name, self-seeds like mad. Anybody got thoughts?

e: Found it! The lovely Cerinthe major purpurascens, aka "Blue Honeywort". I highly recommend it; it's tough, blooms a lot of the summer, and self-seeds without being annoying.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 22, 2023

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(record scratch)

Found that while trying to remember the name of a plant. It has drooping blue flowers, silvery foliage, maybe has "honey" somewhere in the name, self-seeds like mad. Anybody got thoughts?

e: Found it! The lovely Cerinthe major purpurascens, aka "Blue Honeywort". I highly recommend it; it's tough, blooms a lot of the summer, and self-seeds without being annoying.

Oh, that's very pretty!

My beets have sprouted! It's pretty cool to see that the Touchstone Gold beets don't have any red to their sprouts.

The dill sprouts are accidental and will be consumed once the first full leaves are in. (Dill really is a prolific self-seeder!)

Touchstone Gold:

Early Wonder:

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(record scratch)

Is that top pic even a clematis? Looks like columbine to me.

I've got some kind of cerinthe that I grew from seed this year, it's really spread out and the bees like it. Would recommend.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Slanderer posted:

Are you using plans you found, or doing your own thing?

The greenhouse was purchased. Been the plan for years that I would design and build a greenhouse (from wood) but it appears I keep finding and doing other projects instead of what my SO wants. So she finally got tired and bought a greenhouse, then demanded I help her build it. The plans that came with were terrible.

I did the foundation though, since originally it was meant to just be stuck into the grass directly.

Finally done! Took a long time, but we've both had little spare time when we could both be working on it and you really needed to be two people.

Still have to make some steps so it's easier to get in and out. Then fill in the inside with some more gravel. One of the side windows were broken into a million pieces when we opened the box, we'll get a replacement but have to wait for it. In the meantime we put in a cheao plastic window.

We got one grapevine waiting at my parents that we'll plant this autumn yet.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Does anyone know what these red things are?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Some sort of gall wasp probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Is that top pic even a clematis? Looks like columbine to me.
Yeah, that was my point. Gardening article (in Southern Living or some magazine site like that) that didn't even pull the right stock photos.